What's new

Saudi Arabian Cinema - KSA has great future in film industry, says Saudi actress Ida Al-Kusay

Westerners aren't wearing Arab dress making pictures of it like its a national achievement. No one cares in the West. Never heard a Western leader give a speech like MBS declaring Europe will be the New Africa or New Arabia. They don't need crutches.

I have seen plenty of Westerners that wear Arab clothing, converts to Islam in particular. Not only that, many of the traditional dresses of Europe have influences from Arab-originated traditional clothing.

If we consider the Hijab as an Arab clothing (it certainly was worn by Arabs in pre-Islamic times as well), even non-Muslim Europeans wear it, for instance Catholic nuns or older women.

So, by your logic, anyone that is wearing jeans, t-shirts in KSA, Pakistan, China or anywhere else on the planet that is not the West, is wearing it as some kind of national achievement? What are you even talking about?

MbS talked about Europe in reference to their scientific and economic progress in the past 500 years (let us say since the Industrial Revolution) in relation to the Middl East/Arab world once being the hub of science, economic prosperity etc. itself, that the same West wanted to emulate (in ancient or old times). It is pretty simple.

UNESCO (run by Westerners largely):

So in short, MbS (rightly so) wants the Arab world and Middle East to regain its historical position as a center of science and economic prosperity and correct past ills in regards to the implementation of Islam and culture as a whole. Returning to their own roots where Islam is seen as a vehicle of tolerance rather than superficial focus on outside appearance etc. This is the gist of what I read from him on this topic. But of course, if you or others want to spin this into some absurd claims, so be it.

I hope that I made myself clear so we can actually return to the topic at hand, which is Saudi Arabian cinema, not dresses.

Last edited:
That is because they want to wear Sunnah dress, not because they are copying Arabian culture.

Similarly Arabs, Pakistanis, Chinese, and others who wear mainstream international clothing (Western in origin) do it not due to copying Western clothing but due to comfort, exposure and sense of ease but if you knew about KSA, you would know that most locals continue to wear their own local clothing. Men and women. I mean this would be very evident if you have ever performed Hajj or Umrah.

Similarly Arabs, Pakistanis, Chinese, and others who wear mainstream international clothing (Western in origin)
That happened because Western civilization, especially Anglo Western, dominates the globe through business, finance, education, technology, system of governance, and more. The intellectual foundation was laid centuries ago.

That happened because Western civilization, especially Anglo Western, dominates the globe through business, finance, education, technology, system of governance, and more. The intellectual foundation was laid centuries ago.

My friend, did you deliberately miss what I wrote in post 16?

BTW, when are we going to see more Saudi Arabian produced movies about our glorious Islamic past other than those already produced which I forgot their names? Saudi Arabians (due to historical reasons, geography, dialect, knowledge) are the only ones that can make the most authentic reproductions (even to the point of Arabic dialect) of early Islamic events. It would be amazing if such a production could be filmed in the same geography where they occurred.

Another good thing, it seems that the leadership of KSA has realized that you need to protect your own cultural heritage which explains the many reconstruction/renovation of old mosques, buildings etc. from early Islamic history.The good thing is that everything (if needed) can be rebuilt if they so desire.

Last edited:
My friend, did you deliberately miss what I wrote in post 16?

BTW, when are we going to see more Saudi Arabian produced movies about our glorious Islamic past other than those already produced which I forgot their names? Saudi Arabians (due to historical reasons, geography, dialect, knowledge) are the only ones that can make the most authentic reproductions (even to the point of Arabic dialect) of early Islamic events. It would be amazing if such a production could be filmed in the same geography where they occurred.

Another good thing, it seems that the leadership of KSA has realized that you need to protect your own cultural heritage which explains the many reconstruction/renovation of old mosques, buildings etc. from early Islamic history.The good thing is that everything (if needed) can be rebuilt if they so desire.
Why would Saudi movies be more appealing than Egyptian, Iraqi, Syrian, Algerian or Moroccan movies? And who watches Arab movies outside of Arab world? I don't know anyone. Why doesn't Saudi Arabia make Islamic movies? That is a good question.

Why would Saudi movies be more appealing than Egyptian, Iraqi, Syrian, Algerian or Moroccan movies? And who watches Arab movies outside of Arab world? I don't know anyone. Why doesn't Saudi Arabia make Islamic movies? That is a good question.
Are you trolling again? Western cinema dominates 99% of all world cinema. Your point being that no country or nation should have their own cinema?

You are asking why using Saudi Arabians would be the most historically accurate thing to do when recreating the early Islamic history in Islamic movies or series?:lol: Ok.

Hey, let's have Indonesians or Nigerians play historical Arab personalities from modern-day KSA instead while they speak in Hausa and Bahasa to make it even more realistic historically.:lol:

It's obvious that you have some kind of problem with KSA and Saudi Arabians, just say it openly, so I don't have to waste my time on trolling.

Are you trolling again? Western cinema dominates 99% of all world cinema. Your point being that no country or nation should have their own cinema?
Of course not. Your arguments are full of absurd presumptions. It is that there is nothing especially appealing about Saudi Arabia. Tiny Kuwait with half a million Kuwaitis made its first movie 50 years ago. Welcome to the 20th century.

Of course not. Your arguments are full of absurd presumptions. It is that there is nothing especially appealing about Saudi Arabia. Tiny Kuwait with half a million Kuwaitis made its first movie 50 years ago. Welcome to the 20th century.

:lol:

Are you under the influence of something or what is going on with you? Who said anything about anything being special? Stop trolling and wasting bandwidth. You have been doing that throughout this entire thread.

Saudi Arabia chooses movie ‘Raven Song’ to represent Kingdom at Oscars​

1667431721238.png

SPA
October 29, 2022 23:30

• The winner will be announced at the 95th Academy Awards on March 12 next year
RIYADH: The Saudi Film Commission has chosen the film “Raven Song” to officially represent the Kingdom in the Oscars in the Best International Feature Film category.

The film was chosen by the Saudi Oscars committee, headed by Abdullah Al-Ayyaf, CEO of the Film Commission, which also includes directors Haifaa Al-Mansour, the head of the Saudi Cinema Association, Hana Al-Omair, and director Shahd Amin, CEO of the Red Sea International Film Festival, as well as director and actress Ahed Kamel, producer Mohamed Al-Turki, and director of the Saudi Film Festival and poet Ahmed Al-Mulla.

With this nomination, the film will enter the Academy Awards and will pass through several screening stages, before being judged for the initial and then final list that will be chosen by the American Academy of Sciences and Arts, which awards the Oscars.

The winner will be announced at the 95th ceremony, which will be held at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles on March 12 next year.

Mohammed Al-Salman, the film’s director, said: “I am very happy and proud that my first feature film, “Raven Song,” was chosen to represent my homeland, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”

He added: “The film is one of the fruits of the accumulated efforts of all those working in the film sector in the Kingdom, which is witnessing a boom and rapid growth and heralds a bright future.”

If somebody told me that KSA would have a vibrant movie industry just 10 years ago, I would have considered him/her as a troll. Amazing what the removal of retarded/ultraconservative Mullah's can do to a country.

Last edited:
I think the best movie and drama maker is Egyptian and Syrians in Arab world...

I think the best movie and drama maker is Egyptian and Syrians in Arab world...
Sometimes our TV shows Lebanese, Syrian and Egyptian epic or religious movies

Some of them worth to watch

BTW Iran is one of the biggest and most successful movie, series and animation producers in the world

In almost all pictures, Saudi women are shown promoting modern European liberal dress, which everyone knows was not generally allowed until MBS. Take away the Saudi man in the middle with the thawb and kaffiyeh, and there is no way anyone could say they are Saudi women. They could be from America, Canada, UK, Southern Europe, Latino, or be other Arabs/Iranians who dress European.

The world has always copied from their neighbors. Europeans became advanced by copying the East Mediterranean-West Asian culture.

Today, this intermixing and borrowing of culture has accelerated. Saudi Arabia is now doing what others have done for millenia, growing its economy by trade, commerce and craftmanship.

The Rashidun Caliphate was really a very unique event in Arab history. The later Umayaads, Abbasids and almost all muslim kingdoms that came later was more oriented towards trade and commerce than conquest.

Arguably it wasnt before Ottomans began its ascendency that a conquest driven statehood again was in the forefront.

Last edited:
To me its like the Arabs are slowly returning to the days before the Prophet arrived. In the end its their own choice and i assume not an easy choice considering that Entertainment, lewdness, prostitution, leisure, nudity … everything that is frowned upon in Islam, seems to be huge driveforce of job creation all over the world, and a strong revenue source too.

Saudi Arabia before oil discovery was dirt poor. MBS knows this fact and thats why he is diversifying the economy.

Tbh As a muslim i have conflicting emotions about this. The holy land becoming a Las Vegas is just …sad. But its their country and understandable that they do it, since no muslim leader today has found a way to grow economy without allowing practices which in Islam is clearly defined as sinful.

The Western world and China became powerful by leaving traditional religions and practices, and arabs are only trying to catch up with that.

Finally, i want to add that perhaps the modern western/chinese growth model is usustainable in the long run, as it demands abadonment of the very same values that create foundation of a familiy unit. Falling birthrates in Europe and East Asia is witness to that. America only manage to grow by allowing massive immigration.

Maybe this is the only viable option for modern countries. To open up for mass immigration in order to keep the economic system from collapsing. And is that so different from the bygone era when nomadic people used to conqour declining sedentary societies troubled by population crises and abandonment of family friendly values?

Will the traditionalists have the final laugh? Will the religious people be the vessel that remains after modernists are bred out of existence far into the future?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom