What's new

Saudi Arabian Cinema - KSA has great future in film industry, says Saudi actress Ida Al-Kusay

Corruptistan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

KSA has great future in film industry, says Saudi actress Ida Al-Kusay​

1662501151306.jpeg

1662501160006.jpeg

• In an interview, Ida Al-Kusay speaks about her journey in the acting world
RIYADH: MBC Studios has started production of the Saudi fantasy series “Rise of the Witches” with an all-local cast and crew.

The high-end production division of the MBC Group stated that it is producing the show based on a novel by Saudi author Osamah Al-Muslim. The series is set in ancient Arabia and tells the story of an epic war between two rival witch covens.

One of the lead Saudi actresses in the series is Ida Al-Kusay, who has worked in feature films, series and theater.

In an interview with Arab News, she spoke about her journey in the acting world, which started in 2019, and her present work.

Al-Kusay studied clinical psychology at King Saud University in Riyadh, then double majored in marketing and American Sign Language at Emerson college.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Ida Al-Kusay was nominated as best actress in her first feature film ‘Junoon,’ which was released on Oct. 27 at the London Film Festival 2021.
• She is among a handful of Saudi actresses who underwent stunt training as she feels that it adds to her list of credentials.
• The actress believes there is a great future for the film industry in the Kingdom, and more people should consider acting as a career.

“I was always obsessed with sign language. The culture of sign language, how to be appropriate, how to be nice, helped me a lot with my acting because you learn how to express yourself not just with words but with body language, with your eyes, with your facial expressions,” Al-Kusay said.

Al-Kusay was nominated as best actress in her first feature film “Junoon,” which was released on Oct. 27 at the London Film Festival 2021.

Talking about her character, Al-Kusay said: “When you shoot horror films, you need to get into the mentality of the character. I play the character of Jiji, a fashionista, and I lived her character. I got into the emotional and mental state of Jiji. I didn’t know the right way as an actress to leave the character when they said ‘Cut.’”

She added: “They’re saying, ‘Cut,’ but for me, I’m still acting and I’m going into something very traumatic. So, the minute they said, ‘Cut,’ I could not stop. I was still there, living the trauma. But it’s a good thing I won an award for it.”

Al-Kusay is among a handful of Saudi actresses who underwent stunt training as she feels that it adds to her list of credentials.

“It’s not easy to learn all the fight movements with swords and spears, but it’s so nice and empowering. It requires a lot of physical effort that I’m not always ready for, but it’s testing me, and I feel like I want to take this step to move forward into the stunt world,” she said.
“Not everyone is prepared to do roles that have a lot of physical movements and fights. I want to have that,” she said.

Al-Kusay believes there is a great future for the film industry in the Kingdom, and more people should consider acting as a career.

“The industry is blooming, and I’m so happy with everything that’s happening now in Saudi Arabia. It’s so beautiful because I feel like, at this moment, we are creating history.”

1662501486812.jpeg

From left, Saudi actress Mila Al Zahrani and festival chairman Mohammed Al Turki with Saudi actress Fay Fouad. AFP

1662503365656.jpeg

Saudi actress Elham Ali

1662501598638.jpeg

Saudi filmmaker Fatima AlBanawi attends the Celebration Of Women In Cinema Gala. Photo: Getty Images for The Red Sea International Film Festival

1662503297303.jpeg

Saudi actress Mila Al-Zahrani

1662501684187.jpeg
Saudi producer Mohammed Al Turki, chairman of the Red Sea International Film Festival committee, speaks at the Celebration Of Women In Cinema Gala. Photo: Getty Images for The Red Sea International Film Festival

Abdullah Al Eyaf, CEO of the Saudi Film Commission, left, with Saudi producer Aymen Khoja
Abdullah Al Eyaf, CEO of the Saudi Film Commission, left, with Saudi producer Aymen Khoja

1662502266878.jpeg

Sumaya Rida is a rising star of Saudi Arabia’s fledgling domestic film industry, empowered by the Vision 2030 agenda

Saudi actress Lama Alakeel

1662504132350.jpeg

Saudi actress Yara Alnamlah

1662504531165.jpeg

Saudi Arabia Heads to Cannes to Promote Flourishing Film Industry, Support Emerging Talent​

Stunning Arabian women.:cheesy:

Saudi Founding Day: From Yara Alnamlah To Lama Alakeel, Here’s How 10 KSA Creatives Celebrated Their Heritage Within Their Instagram Feeds
POSTED INCULTURE FEATURED NEWSHARPER'S BAZAAR NEWS

Saudi Founding Day: From Yara Alnamlah To Lama Alakeel, Here’s How 10 KSA Creatives Celebrated Their Heritage Within Their Instagram Feeds​

Can some Arab or non-Arab users recommend some of the new Saudi Arabian movies to watch?

Looking forward to a vibrant Saudi Arabian cinema.

Last edited:
I hope this means they will make films about arab culture and not just funding other studios.

Saudis are Europeanizing. MBS announced it some years ago. All big Arab countries did so back in the 1950s and 60s, so it is not new as he says.
Isn't that a weird move considering Saudi Arabia is like the most arabic culture among the arabs now...

KSA has great future in film industry, says Saudi actress Ida Al-Kusay​

View attachment 876771

View attachment 876772

• In an interview, Ida Al-Kusay speaks about her journey in the acting world
RIYADH: MBC Studios has started production of the Saudi fantasy series “Rise of the Witches” with an all-local cast and crew.

The high-end production division of the MBC Group stated that it is producing the show based on a novel by Saudi author Osamah Al-Muslim. The series is set in ancient Arabia and tells the story of an epic war between two rival witch covens.

One of the lead Saudi actresses in the series is Ida Al-Kusay, who has worked in feature films, series and theater.

In an interview with Arab News, she spoke about her journey in the acting world, which started in 2019, and her present work.

Al-Kusay studied clinical psychology at King Saud University in Riyadh, then double majored in marketing and American Sign Language at Emerson college.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Ida Al-Kusay was nominated as best actress in her first feature film ‘Junoon,’ which was released on Oct. 27 at the London Film Festival 2021.
• She is among a handful of Saudi actresses who underwent stunt training as she feels that it adds to her list of credentials.
• The actress believes there is a great future for the film industry in the Kingdom, and more people should consider acting as a career.

“I was always obsessed with sign language. The culture of sign language, how to be appropriate, how to be nice, helped me a lot with my acting because you learn how to express yourself not just with words but with body language, with your eyes, with your facial expressions,” Al-Kusay said.

Al-Kusay was nominated as best actress in her first feature film “Junoon,” which was released on Oct. 27 at the London Film Festival 2021.

Talking about her character, Al-Kusay said: “When you shoot horror films, you need to get into the mentality of the character. I play the character of Jiji, a fashionista, and I lived her character. I got into the emotional and mental state of Jiji. I didn’t know the right way as an actress to leave the character when they said ‘Cut.’”

She added: “They’re saying, ‘Cut,’ but for me, I’m still acting and I’m going into something very traumatic. So, the minute they said, ‘Cut,’ I could not stop. I was still there, living the trauma. But it’s a good thing I won an award for it.”

Al-Kusay is among a handful of Saudi actresses who underwent stunt training as she feels that it adds to her list of credentials.

“It’s not easy to learn all the fight movements with swords and spears, but it’s so nice and empowering. It requires a lot of physical effort that I’m not always ready for, but it’s testing me, and I feel like I want to take this step to move forward into the stunt world,” she said.
“Not everyone is prepared to do roles that have a lot of physical movements and fights. I want to have that,” she said.

Al-Kusay believes there is a great future for the film industry in the Kingdom, and more people should consider acting as a career.

“The industry is blooming, and I’m so happy with everything that’s happening now in Saudi Arabia. It’s so beautiful because I feel like, at this moment, we are creating history.”

View attachment 876774
From left, Saudi actress Mila Al Zahrani and festival chairman Mohammed Al Turki with Saudi actress Fay Fouad. AFP

View attachment 876784
Saudi actress Elham Ali

View attachment 876775
Saudi filmmaker Fatima AlBanawi attends the Celebration Of Women In Cinema Gala. Photo: Getty Images for The Red Sea International Film Festival

View attachment 876783
Saudi actress Mila Al-Zahrani

View attachment 876777Saudi producer Mohammed Al Turki, chairman of the Red Sea International Film Festival committee, speaks at the Celebration Of Women In Cinema Gala. Photo: Getty Images for The Red Sea International Film Festival

View attachment 876780
Sumaya Rida is a rising star of Saudi Arabia’s fledgling domestic film industry, empowered by the Vision 2030 agenda

Saudi actress Lama Alakeel

View attachment 876788

Saudi actress Yara Alnamlah

View attachment 876790

Saudi Arabia Heads to Cannes to Promote Flourishing Film Industry, Support Emerging Talent​

Stunning Arabian women.:cheesy:

Saudi Founding Day: From Yara Alnamlah To Lama Alakeel, Here’s How 10 KSA Creatives Celebrated Their Heritage Within Their Instagram Feeds
POSTED INCULTURE FEATURED NEWSHARPER'S BAZAAR NEWS

Saudi Founding Day: From Yara Alnamlah To Lama Alakeel, Here’s How 10 KSA Creatives Celebrated Their Heritage Within Their Instagram Feeds​

Can some Arab or non-Arab users recommend some of the new Saudi Arabian movies to watch?

Looking forward to a vibrant Saudi Arabian cinema.
If only cinemas could have opened in KSA while I was there. Saudi Arabia should start cultural exchange programs with its neighbouring countries.

Saudis are Europeanizing. MBS announced it some years ago. All big Arab countries did so back in the 1950s and 60s, so it is not new as he says.
This isn't Europeanizing. None of this is unique to Europe for this to be called Europeanizing.

This culture is European/Westeen civilization which became increasingly globalized. MBS said they would want to be European and Saudis above look outwardly European.

So “full-blooded” Saudi Arabians (Arabians) with tribal surnames and Arabian looks are now suddenly “European”. You do realize that Arabs, Saudi Arabians included, are racially Caucasian people just like Europeans and a large part of Asians, Pakistanis included? Caucasians come in a wide range of skin tones, phenotypes etc. Pale Arabs and Pakistanis are easily distinguishable from say a pale German just by facial features alone.

That aside using your logic, most science (if not all) is fundamentally Semitic/Middle Eastern in nature as this is where the core mathematics, physics, early complex engineering, chemistry and science/civilization as a whole emerged from.

In fact as far as cinema goes it is French in origin but the technology and knowledge that lead to photography originates from the Middle East if you go back in time.

Cinema as a whole of today is just an art form not much different from other art forms. You don’t see any particular civilization claiming art as their own as that would be absurd.

Lastly find me a single quote of MbS saying that he wants to be “European” (lol). All he has said is that KSA is now opening up to the outside world and correcting past mistakes which was mostly the work of the post-1979 ultraconservative clergy and the effects of the Sahwa era. MbS was born in 1985, thus he is in touch with the youth in KSA that makes up 2/3 of the population.

I hope this means they will make films about arab culture and not just funding other studios.

I think that this is the plan and I could very well see huge movie projects based on both the Islamic era but also about ancient kingdoms and civilizations of Arabia. The key should be to tell your own history rather than wait for outsiders to tell the world your own history with all the biases that this entails.

So “full-blooded” Saudi Arabians (Arabians) with tribal surnames and Arabian looks are now suddenly “European”. You do realize that Arabs, Saudi Arabians included, are racially Caucasian people just like Europeans and a large part of Asians, Pakistanis included? Caucasians come in a wide range of skin tones, phenotypes etc. Pale Arabs and Pakistanis are easily distinguishable from say a pale German just by facial features alone.

That aside using your logic, most science (if not all) is fundamentally Semitic/Middle Eastern in nature as this is where the core mathematics, physics, early complex engineering, chemistry and science/civilization as a whole emerged from.

In fact as far as cinema goes it is French in origin but the technology and knowledge that lead to photography originates from the Middle East if you go back in time.

Cinema as a whole of today is just an art form not much different from other art forms. You don’t see any particular civilization claiming art as their own as that would be absurd.

Lastly find me a single quote of MbS saying that he wants to be “European” (lol). All he has said is that KSA is now opening up to the outside world and correcting past mistakes which was mostly the work of the post-1979 ultraconservative clergy and the effects of the Sahwa era. MbS was born in 1985, thus he is in touch with the youth in KSA that makes up 2/3 of the population.

I think that this is the plan and I could very well see huge movie projects based on both the Islamic era but also about ancient kingdoms and civilizations of Arabia. The key should be to tell your own history rather than wait for outsiders to tell the world your own history with all the biases that this entails.
In almost all pictures, Saudi women are shown promoting modern European liberal dress, which everyone knows was not generally allowed until MBS. Take away the Saudi man in the middle with the thawb and kaffiyeh, and there is no way anyone could say they are Saudi women. They could be from America, Canada, UK, Southern Europe, Latino, or be other Arabs/Iranians who dress European.

In almost all pictures, Saudi women are shown promoting modern European liberal dress, which everyone knows was not generally allowed until MBS. Take away the Saudi man in the middle with the thawb and kaffiyeh, and there is no way anyone could say they are Saudi women. They could be from America, Canada, UK, Southern Europe, Latino, or be other Arabs/Iranians who dress European.

Who cares what they resemble? They are Saudi Arabians and Arabs.

1662734650616.jpeg

The clothing looks very European indeed, lol.

Once again the Caucasian race, that Arabs belong to, is a diverse race. None of them resemble Europeans in terms of facial phenotypes but have a distinctive Arabian look.

This below is Saudi Arabia in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

So no, so-called “European dress” predates MbS by well over half a century.

Let me ask you a question, if I had posted photos of Afro-Saudi Arabians (Saudi Arabians of Afro-Arab ancestry) would you be writing the same thing and claiming them to be Ethiopians, Nigerians and other Africans?

Those below are all Saudi Arabians:

Saudi Arabians are one of the few people on earth that continue to mainly use their own traditional dresses and clothing so your comments are misplaced by a long shot.

Last edited:
arabs will be arabs. dresses are european i mean fcuking come on you are heart of muslim world you have millions muslims arrive at your country from every culture/dresses/ etc and they pick standardised cut out western dress that has no art to it. next they be eating MacDonald and saying this is advance civilization.

Who cares what they resemble? They are Saudi Arabians and Arabs.

View attachment 877469

The clothing looks very European indeed, lol.

Once again the Caucasian race, that Arabs belong to, is a diverse race. None of them resemble Europeans in terms of facial phenotypes but have a distinctive Arabian look.

This below is Saudi Arabia in the 1950’s and 1960’s.

So no, so-called “European dress” predates MbS by well over half a century.

Let me ask you a question, if I had posted photos of Afro-Saudi Arabians (Saudi Arabians of Afro-Arab ancestry) would you be writing the same thing and claiming them to be Ethiopians, Nigerians and other Africans?

Those below are all Saudi Arabians:

Saudi Arabians are one of the few people on earth that continue to mainly use their own traditional dresses and clothing so your comments are misplaced by a long shot.
I mentioned in almost all the pictures you posted Saudi women are shown promoting European liberal dress. Had you not written they are Saudi, I would not know they are Saudi or Arabs, my guess would be they are from the West. The West doesn't have brown people? The last picture is Arab which is good, however normalizing designs based on traditional female dress is not a priority in the middle east. In the Western minds, they are wearing costumes.

I mentioned in almost all the pictures you posted Saudi women are shown promoting European liberal dress. Had you not written they are Saudi, I would not know they are Saudi or Arabs, my guess would be they are from the West. The West doesn't have brown people? The last picture is Arab which is good, however normalizing designs based on traditional female dress is not a priority in the middle east. In the Western minds, they are wearing costumes.

Breaking news, elites/actresses across the entire world dress like this. Even though we can see clear local Arab/Middle Eastern influences on those dresses (headscarfs). Also women in KSA do not have to wear headscarf although 90% of all women do it out of their own free will due to religion and culture.

KSA makes a huge deal of keeping its many traditional dresses alive. You are basically completely ignorant on this topic.

There are entire huge festivals in the WEST.

Arabs are some of the most fiercely proud people in the world and in the West who don't assimilate ANYWHERE. Ever been to the West? You will rarely find a religious Arab woman not wearing a headscarf or trying to desperately fit in by changing her culture, religion, appearance which is common among Iranians for instance in the West who desperately want to associate themselves with Westerners to no avail obviously (from the viewpoint of Westerners who never accept them as their own).

Do you even speak Arabic?

Breaking news, elites/actresses across the entire world dress like this. Even though we can see clear local Arab/Middle Eastern influences on those dresses (headscarfs). Also women in KSA do not have to wear headscarf although 90% of all women do it out of their own free will due to religion and culture.

KSA makes a huge deal of keeping its many traditional dresses alive. You are basically completely ignorant on this topic.

There are entire huge festivals in the WEST.

Arabs are some of the most fiercely proud people in the world and in the West who don't assimilate ANYWHERE. Ever been to the West? You will rarely find a religious Arab woman not wearing a headscarf or trying to desperately fit in by changing her culture, religion, appearance which is common among Iranians for instance in the West who desperately want to associate themselves with Westerners to no avail obviously (from the viewpoint of Westerners who never accept them as their own).

Do you even speak Arabic?
You are changing your stance which is kind of disingenuous. You are proud of Saudi women in low cut European dress or you wouldn't have posted them. It fits with MBS agenda [he called it his personal war] about making Saudi Arabia the New Europe.

You are changing your stance which is kind of disingenuous. You are proud of Saudi women in low cut European dress or you wouldn't have posted them. It fits with MBS agenda [he called it his personal war] about making Saudi Arabia the New Europe.

I am posting photos of Saudi Arabian actresses and related articles. I did not make those photographies and those photos contain Western clothing, traditional clothing and the middle-ground. Just like in any other Muslim country. Why should KSA be different?

No, from what I saw MbS talked about the Middle East/Western Asia having the potential to becoming the new Europe in terms of economy, innovation etc. He never mentioned anything about Western dress. Find me such a quote if that is the case.

Reem Abdullah:

1663416757884.png

Ahd Kamel:

1663416812543.png

Hind Mohammed

1663416875573.png

Aseel Omran:

1663416938263.png

Dina Shihabi:

1663417001774.png

Many others here below:

https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/تصنيف:ممثلات_أفلام_سعوديات

Arabs are some of the most fiercely proud people in the world and in the West who don't assimilate ANYWHERE
Westerners aren't wearing Arab dress making pictures of it like its a national achievement. No one cares in the West. Never heard a Western leader give a speech like MBS declaring Europe will be the New Africa or New Arabia. They don't need crutches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom