What's new

Saudi Arabia is the first Arab team to qualify for the World Cup in Russia

:rofl:

For the first time in history 4 Arab national teams have qualified for a World Cup thus 1/8 of all teams participating next year in Russia will be Arab teams. Not bad.

DOYyr1LW0AUxl2S.jpg

Where's Ceylal? :D The Moroccan & Tunisian guys are hilarious (even though they're all Egyptians looool.)

Just wanted to share this with you all...Bros

Should be a fun WC. We'll need to see how far each of our teams go. What are the chances of either of the 4 teams to make the finals?

I was bummed out the US lost to Trinidad and Tobago and didn't qualify since that was my other team to root for.

Africa is well represented. Nigeria has a really good team, they usually do.

AFRICA
Egypt

Pedigree: Egypt are currently 30th in Fifa's world rankings - one place below the Netherlands. Having missed out on the 2010 and 2014 competitions after play-off defeats, they qualified for Russia when Liverpool's Mohamed Salah scored an injury-time winner against Congo on 8 October. Their last notable success at a major tournament was in 2010, when they lifted the Africa Cup of Nations for the seventh time.
_98226294_gettyimages-633365042.jpg

Mohamed Salah will be making his World Cup debut in Russia
Key player: Mohamed Salah, Liverpool's major summer signing, is Egypt's most talented player. The speedy forward has scored 32 goals in 56 international appearances, including five during qualifying for Russia.

Premier League players: Mohamed Salah (Liverpool), Mohamed Elneny (Arsenal), Ahmed Hegazy (West Brom), Ramadan Sobhi (Stoke),

Championship players: Ahmed Elmohamady (Aston Villa).

League One players: Sam Morsy (Wigan).

Who's the boss? Argentinian Hector Cuper, who previously coached Valencia and Inter Milan, was appointed in March 2015. He also managed Georgia between 2008 and 2009. His only major tournament was the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations - where Egypt were defeated 2-1 in the final by Cameroon.

Morocco
Pedigree: Morocco will be making their first appearance at a World Cup finals in 20 years next summer. In 1998 in France, a win, a draw and a defeat was not enough for them to qualify from the group stage. They have managed this feat just once in four attempts at finals, in Mexico in 1986 when they reached the last 16, where they were beaten 1-0 by eventual runners-up West Germany.

Key player: He has not been a regular with club side Juventus this season (there is some stiff competition there at the back) but defender Medhi Benatia is extremely highly rated at the Italian champions, who signed him on a permanent deal from Bayern Munich this year following a successful loan spell. The 30-year-old is Morocco's captain and has 52 caps to his name, five of which came during a 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign in which they did not concede a goal. He also scored one of the goals in the 2-0 win over Ivory Coast that sealed their place in Russia.

_98713232_benatia_rex.jpg

Medhi Benatia joined Juventus from Bayern Munich on a permanent deal in May
Premier League players: Sofiane Boufal (Southampton)

Championship players: Romain Saiss (Wolves)

Who is the boss? Frenchman Herve Renard has had something of a nomadic coaching career since retiring from playing in 1998. One of his early roles was as boss of Cambridge United, who he joined in the summer of 2004 and left 25 games later with the club second bottom of League Two. Since then he has won the Africa Cup of Nations twice, with Zambia in 2012 and Ivory Coast in 2015. After an unsuccessful stint as Lille boss, he took over as Morocco head coach in 2016.

Nigeria
Pedigree: This will be Nigeria's sixth appearance at a World Cup - and their third in a row. They have reached the last 16 three times - 1994, 1998 and 2014 - but have never advanced beyond that stage.

Key player: Captain John Mikel Obi, the most experienced member of the squad with 80 caps, will be a key figure for the Super Eagles in Russia. This will be the former Chelsea midfielder's second World Cup - the 30-year-old helped the team reach the knockout stages in 2014 for the first time since 1998. He now plays in China with Tianjin Teda.

_98221302_hi041396527.jpg

John Mikel Obi helped Nigeria win the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations
Premier League players: Alex Iwobi (Arsenal), Victor Moses (Chelsea), Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City), Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City), Ahmed Musa (Leicester City) and Ola Aina (on loan at Hull City from Chelsea).

Who is the boss? Gernot Rohr has managed all over the world. From Nice to Gabon, Burkina Faso to Nigeria, the 64-year-old German has extensive knowledge. Rohr played at Bayern Munich and Bordeaux. He then coached Bordeaux when they lost to Bayern in the 1996 Uefa Cup final. Previous managerial jobs also include French club Nantes, Young Boys Berne in Switzerland, Tunisian side Etoile du Sahel and the Niger national team.

Senegal
Pedigree: This is the first time Senegal have qualified for the World Cup since 2002 - and only the second time in history. In 2002, they reached the quarter finals where they were beaten 1-0 by Turkey.

Key player: Sadio Mane is the West African team's most experienced player with 48 caps and 14 goals since his debut in 2012. In 2015 he set a new Premier League record for the fastest hat-trick after scoring three times in 176 seconds during a 6-1 Southampton win over Aston Villa. When he transferred to Liverpool in 2016, he became the most expensive African player in history at the time, for a fee of £34m.

_98705541_gettyimages-830887894.jpg

Mane became the most expensive African player in history at the time, for a fee of £34m
Premier League players: Cheikhou Kouyate (West Ham), Diafra Sakho (West Ham), Idrissa Gueye (Everton), Sadio Mane (Liverpool).

Championship players: Alfred N'Diaye (Wolves), Cheikh N'Doye (Birmingham City),

Who is the boss? Aliou Cisse is a former Senegal, Pompey and Birmingham City player. The 41-year-old briefly became head coach of the team in a caretaker role after Amara Traore's sacking in 2012. He then coached Senegal's under-23 side from 2012-2013 before heading back to the national team in a permanent position.

Tunisia
Pedigree: Next summer will represent the first time Tunisia have appeared at a World Cup finals since the tournament in Germany in 2006, at which they failed to make it beyond the group stage. In three finals appearances prior to that - 1978, 1998 and 2002 - they failed to make the knockout rounds.

Key player: Centre-back Aymen Abdennour is an experienced and talented figure in Tunisia's defence. Currently on loan at French club Marseille from Valencia, he has 57 international caps and has scored twice. Previously linked with moves to the Premier League with both Everton and Chelsea, the 28-year-old was recently reported to be on Watford's radar.

_98711815_kahzri_getty.jpg

Wahbi Khazri began this season in the Championship with Sunderland but joined Rennes on loan in August
Premier League players: None

Championship players: Wahbi Khazri (Sunderland, on loan at Rennes)

Who is the boss? Nabil Maaloul is in his second spell as Tunisia coach. His first lasted just seven games in 2013, which ended in his resignation after he failed to take his country to the 2014 World Cup finals. He returned in April of 2017, following spells with El Jaish SC in Qatar and the Kuwait national team. Prior to all this, he was assistant to then head coach Roger Lemerre as Tunisia won the 2004 African Cup of Nations and led ES Tunis to an historic treble in 2011. He won 74 caps for Tunisia during his playing days as a midfielder in the 1980s and 1990s, representing them at the Olympics in Seoul in 1988.

More on Europe and South America.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41147762

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-13_9-26-18.gif
    upload_2017-11-13_9-26-18.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 10
  • upload_2017-11-13_9-26-19.gif
    upload_2017-11-13_9-26-19.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 14
    42 bytes · Views: 12
    42 bytes · Views: 14
    42 bytes · Views: 10
Why was this thread moved from the Arab section of the forum? When will it be allowed to post non-military news on the Arab section? It's highly needed.

The opening game will be between Russia and KSA in Moscow.

I can't see either KSA, Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco advancing from their respective groups, I am afraid.

IMO Morocco has the best chance if Spain defeats Portugal (hopefully and as expected). If Morocco plays up to their potential and Portugal is pressured to win or draw, I can see Morocco take all 3 points against Portugal. As for Iran, Morocco is a much better team and I am sure that they will prove it.

Tunisia should win against Panama but England and especially Belgium will be very harsh opponents. It's not impossible but it will be difficult and England and Belgium will be the favorites to advance.

I don't expect KSA advancing from the group stage like in 1994 (KSA is one of the few Asian teams to have advanced from the group stage along with Japan and South Korea). Egypt has a better chance IMO but I expect the host Russia (a nice but expected draw fix from their part) and Uruguay to advance.

Less so when the notoriously incompetent Saudi Arabian FA changes managers at will.

Bauza fired after what, 2 games? Now another Argentinian, Pizzi, has been appointed.

Why was Van Marwijk fired again when he did a fantastic job in the most difficult Asian qualification group?

Anyway Spain, Brazil or France to win it all. I don't see Germany repeating their win and Argentina is too reliant on Messi, regardless of him being the best player in the world.

Last edited:
A nice flashback. I am far too young to have witnessed this, sadly.

"Chien Nguyen
The best performance of an Asian football team at a World Cup so far.
This Saudi Arabian squad was so skillful and had great tactics.
They have featured exciting goals: * An early header which helped them lead the strong Dutch team; * A spectacular solo goal against the best-of-tournament keeper Preud'homme;"

Last edited:
Congrats to all Arab countries qualified for Russia hope to see them in knockout stage,

Well, not sure if you are genuine but I am afraid that we will see neither any Arab teams or Iran in the Round of 16. BTW for us it is a "victory" to be among the 32 countries (out of almost 200 in the world) that have qualified. I am afraid that we will need several decades to catch up with European and South American teams if that even ever happens.

And when certain countries in the region (KSA says hello) changes coaches 3 times within 3 months, you do not make life easier for yourself, I am afraid.

I would be happy if KSA does not lose with too many goals and don't ridicule themselves against Russia in the opening game. However I am a worried that a bribed referee will favor Russia heavily and I expect a penalty to Russia already.

It looks like there will be no match between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Well, not sure if you are genuine but I am afraid that we will see neither any Arab teams or Iran in the Round of 16. BTW for us it is a "victory" to be among the 32 countries (out of almost 200 in the world) that have qualified. I am afraid that we will need several decades to catch up with European and South American teams if that even ever happens.

And when certain countries in the region (KSA says hello) changes coaches 3 times within 3 months, you do not make life easier for yourself, I am afraid.

I would be happy if KSA does not lose with too many goals and don't ridicule themselves against Russia in the opening game. However I am a worried that a bribed referee will favor Russia heavily and I expect a penalty to Russia already.
In group A there are 2 Arab teams you and Egypt and in comparison by our group looks easier , so your chances (Arab teams) to get into the second stage are double, I hope you will have a good performance and by chance you could go to the next stage.

Saudi got a good group. Probably the best they could have ended up in. Russia really are not that good. They crashed and burned in Confederations cup in front of home fans, and I dont think the World Cup will be much different. Iran recently played them to a draw in Russia.

As for Iran, we are in a very difficult group with Spain and Portugal and I have no expectations. First match against Morocco will be key, and they have not let in any goals in ther qualifying campaign. Tricky. At this stage, I just want Iran to give it their best and show heart. Who knows, maybe we'll pull an upset. Sometimes football defies logic (case and point Costa Rica in 2014)

In group A there are 2 Arab teams you and Egypt and in comparison by our group looks easier , so your chances (Arab teams) to get into the second stage are double, I hope you will have a good performance and by chance you could go to the next stage.

Russia is the host team and not a bad team. Less than 1 month ago Spain (playing their strongest squad) could not defeat them in a friendly. Russia is not a weak team by any means and them playing at home is a HUGE boost.

The Russian domestic league is the 6th best league in Europe only behind the likes of Spain, England, Germany, Italy and Portugal. Next year the Russian league will most likely reach the 5th position. Plenty of Russians play in their domestic league, especially top teams like CSKA, Spartak Moscow, Zenit Saint Petersburg etc.

Uruguay was only worse than Brazil in the South American qualification campaign (the hardest in the world) and Uruguay are two times world champions and in 2010 they reached the semifinals. Historically Uruguay have won more world cups (2) than all the countries in Group B combined (Spain is the only team that have won a World Cup and that has happened just once (2010).

Egypt is the most successful team in Africa. They have one of the best in-form players this season (Saleh) who is the top scorer in the Premier League, arguably the most competitive league (not necessarily the best as I consider La Liga to be the best and the statistics (UEFA coefficient list) proves this as well).

So it will be very difficult for KSA (a team with 3 managers within 3 months) to advance as well as Egypt not to mention Tunisia and Morocco.

Now an entire new system under Pizzi (if he does not get fired before the World Cup, lol) will need to be implanted less than 7 months before the tournament kicks off. Not ideal.

I will call it now already, of those 5 teams, not more than 1 team (at most) will qualify and if I had to bet on it, I would say 0. But that is to be expected. We are not any better compared to the heavyweights as I wrote. We will need decades of experience and football is the most competitive sport on the planet as it is by far the most popular. So extremely difficult to reach their level. You would need to have a very strong domestic league or an extreme tradition of developing great players (South America). But even South American leagues are head and shoulders above the best Asian leagues (KSA, Japan, South Korea, China, Iran, UAE etc.).

This is the reality I am afraid but it is football and everything happens. Sometimes you have freak results like Turkey in 2002 that enjoyed great draws and some luck. However this happens once in a lifetime and you can see their results since then. And Turkey has a much better league than any Asian league and much more exposure to top European football so even that comparison is unfair for most Asian teams.

Normally I am optimistic but this time around, I am saying it like I see it.

Last edited:
BTW the only chance I see that we all have, are 90% performances (minimum) each game, some luck and some good old catenaccio that would make the likes of Mourinho, Tony Pulis and Martin O'Neill envious. :lol:

Had this tournament actually been played in Brazil where weather might play a role, I would be a bit more positive. Hopefully the Russian summer heat will not disappoint. Our players would have a little advantage if that would be the case.

Last edited:

@Arabi @Bubblegum Crisis @Saudi Typhoon @The SC

@Gomig-21 @Frogman @Amun @Ahmad Torky @Mahmoud_EGY @Hell NO @EgyptianAmerican etc.

DP_axXvXUAARmEY.jpg

DP-q68MXUAEv86C.jpg

:lol:

Saudi got a good group. Probably the best they could have ended up in. Russia really are not that good. They crashed and burned in Confederations cup in front of home fans, and I dont think the World Cup will be much different. Iran recently played them to a draw in Russia.

As for Iran, we are in a very difficult group with Spain and Portugal and I have no expectations. First match against Morocco will be key, and they have not let in any goals in ther qualifying campaign. Tricky. At this stage, I just want Iran to give it their best and show heart. Who knows, maybe we'll pull an upset. Sometimes football defies logic (case and point Costa Rica in 2014)

Iran is strong defensively and has a very good coach and a well-established core of players. You can come a long way with that in relatively short cup tournaments. Had this been another group, I would not have ruled out Iran reaching the final 16 for the first time in World Cup history. However in a group that contains Spain (IMO my favorites alongside France and Brazil to win the whole thing), Portugal (Ok, they are not as good IMO, more hype than anything, their victory last year was IMO quite lucky, they barely managed to get past one of the easiest groups in the group stage, drawing all 3 matches but somehow qualifying despite this, still a difficult opponent of course but having a Portuguese coach will help here) and Morocco (even more solid defensively than Iran - their opponents in the African qualifications were/are IMO a bit stronger than the Asian equivalents) and have IMO better players who play at top European teams and leagues in almost all positions. Logic says that both Iran and KSA will end as last placed teams in both groups.

I personally have zero expectations as well other than just enjoying being there among the 32 teams (almost 200 nations out there) and playing some great games. Thinking about traveling to Russia actually. Never been there.

@Arabi @Bubblegum Crisis @Saudi Typhoon @The SC

@Gomig-21 @Frogman @Amun @Ahmad Torky @Mahmoud_EGY @Hell NO @EgyptianAmerican etc.

DP_axXvXUAARmEY.jpg

DP-q68MXUAEv86C.jpg

:lol:

Iran is strong defensively and has a very good coach and a well-established core of players. You can come a long way with that in relatively short cup tournaments. Had this been another group, I would not have ruled out Iran reaching the final 16 for the first time in World Cup history. However in a group that contains Spain (IMO my favorites alongside France and Brazil to win the whole thing), Portugal (Ok, they are not as good IMO, more hype than anything, their victory last year was IMO quite lucky, they barely managed to get past one of the easiest groups in the group stage, drawing all 3 matches but somehow qualifying despite this, still a difficult opponent of course but having a Portuguese coach will help here) and Morocco (even more solid defensively than Iran - their opponents in the African qualifications were/are IMO a bit stronger than the Asian equivalents) and have IMO better players who play at top European teams and leagues in almost all positions. Logic says that both Iran and KSA will end as last placed teams in both groups.

I personally have zero expectations as well other than just enjoying being there among the 32 teams (almost 200 nations out there) and playing some great games. Thinking about traveling to Russia actually. Never been there.

Yeah I just did a bit of research on Morocco on youtube and google. They have starpacked team of players making their earnings in Europe. They handsomely/convincigly beat South Korea recently, whereas Iran also beat SK but only with 1-0 in Tehran. Looks like Moroccos offence is as bit of strong as their defence. Morocco may just be the worst team (worst for us) we could have gotten from pot 4.
But that aside, even if Iran had gotten Panama (which Iran beat a month ago) in its group, there is still the stumbling block of Portugal and Spain. Which is quite a huge stumbling block.
Most analysts seem to agree that Iran is just fills the spot of a 4th team in the group, and that Spain will win the group. Portugal and Morocco battling it out for 2nd, with Portugal being the much more likely candidate to progress.
We'll see. Sometimes it boils down to who wants it the most and plays with most heart. Case and point, our match against Argentina last WC, where we shook the Argentinian team and world with our performance, and could have ended in a draw, if not a win, had we been lucky. We had some major chances, and it was only a 93 minute screamer by Messi that ended the deadlock.
I am hoping for something like that again, but not expecting it. The key is to have zero expectations.
I am kinda like you that I am just happy to be in the World Cup. However most Iranian fans seem to have moved beyond that in terms of expectations and that the aim should be R16. I tend to agree, until I saw the draw last night. It was over for Iran before it even began... Oh well.

Anyway good luck to KSA. Hoping that all the Asian sides put on a good performance. I feel like Japan is the only team that can bear the flag of Asia in the knockout stages.

Yeah I just did a bit of research on Morocco on youtube and google. They have starpacked team of players making their earnings in Europe. They handsomely/convincigly beat South Korea recently, whereas Iran also beat SK but only with 1-0 in Tehran. Looks like Moroccos offence is as bit of strong as their defence. Morocco may just be the worst team (worst for us) we could have gotten from pot 4.
But that aside, even if Iran had gotten Panama (which Iran beat a month ago) in its group, there is still the stumbling block of Portugal and Spain. Which is quite a huge stumbling block.
Most analysts seem to agree that Iran is just fills the spot of a 4th team in the group, and that Spain will win the group. Portugal and Morocco battling it out for 2nd, with Portugal being the much more likely candidate to progress.
We'll see. Sometimes it boils down to who wants it the most and plays with most heart. Case and point, our match against Argentina last WC, where we shook the Argentinian team and world with our performance, and could have ended in a draw, if not a win, had we been lucky. We had some major chances, and it was only a 93 minute screamer by Messi that ended the deadlock.
I am hoping for something like that again, but not expecting it. The key is to have zero expectations.
I am kinda like you that I am just happy to be in the World Cup. However most Iranian fans seem to have moved beyond that in terms of expectations and that the aim should be R16. I tend to agree, until I saw the draw last night. It was over for Iran before it even began... Oh well.

Anyway good luck to KSA. Hoping that all the Asian sides put on a good performance. I feel like Japan is the only team that can bear the flag of Asia in the knockout stages.

Yes, when I initially wrote that Morocco on paper is better than Iran, I was not trying to belittle Iran here, who have done better in recent years than KSA, but rather to highlight the fact that Morocco have a really classy team that has actually performed as a solid team unit for once. The problem with Morocco was never talent but lack of team cohesion and constant manager changes. Typical for many Arab football federations.

The thing that makes Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia so talented really is that they have a very large diaspora based in France, Spain and Benelux that they can nationalize if those players fail at making it for France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands etc. The likes of Zidane, Benzema, Nasri, Ben Arfa, Adil Rami etc. all made it so they never played for their ancestors national teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabs_in_France#Sports

Basically players who were born in Europe and who got their footballing upbringing in Europe. Such luxury KSA cannot afford and Iran only in a much smaller degree.

Spain is arguably the worst team that Iran could play against alongside the likes of France, Brazil and Germany but I honestly believe that Portugal is quite overrated. They have an aging squad. They played against the B team of KSA (literally) at home not long ago and although they won 3-0, 2 of the goals came late and they did not play particularly well. And KSA were horrible in that game. It was the last game of Bauza.

Yes, I remember that match. It was quite a good defensive performance by Iran and a poorly performing Argentinian team IMO. Messi saved them just like he and Di María did for most of that tournament. Di María was injured in the final and Messi had to do all the job. He did not succeed and Germany won in the extra time.

Well, you never know. Miracles do occur. However as I wrote in my lengthy post 55, we (as in Asian and Arab teams in general and most African) cannot expect to compete with the heavyweights. By all accounts the Round of 16 is composed of mostly heavyweights and the usual 1 or 2 (at most) big surprises or surprises to begin with. It is very much an exclusive group. KSA in 1994 was one of such surprises. Turkey in 2002 was another even bigger surprise. Costa Rica 3 years ago as you correctly mentioned was the most recent example. I remember Senegal in 2002 as well defeating France in the opening game.

Yes, good luck to Iran as well. As for Japan, I actually do not believe that they will exit their group. For me it will be between Poland and Colombia while Senegal will be the dark horse. A very open group in general expect for Japan who I think are much weaker than before although still no pushover of course.

Last edited:
Yes, when I initially wrote that Morocco on paper is better than Iran, I was not trying to belittle Iran here, who have done better in recent years than KSA, but rather to highlight the fact that Morocco have a really classy team that has actually performed as a solid team unit for once. The problem with Morocco was never talent but lack of team cohesion and constant manager changes. Typical for many Arab football federations.

The thing that makes Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia so talented really is that they have a very large diaspora based in France, Spain and Benelux that they can nationalize if those players fail at making it for France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands etc. The likes of Zidane, Benzema, Nasri, Ben Arfa, Adil Rami etc. all made it so they never played for their ancestors national teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabs_in_France#Sports

Basically players who were born in Europe and who got their footballing upbringing in Europe. Such luxury KSA cannot afford and Iran only in a much smaller degree.

Spain is arguably the worst team that Iran could play against alongside the likes of France, Brazil and Germany but I honestly believe that Portugal is quite overrated. They have an aging squad. They played against the B team of KSA (literally) at home not long ago and although they won 3-0, 2 of the goals came late and they did not play particularly well. And KSA were horrible in that game. It was the last game of Bauza.

Yes, I remember that match. It was quite a good defensive performance by Iran and a poorly performing Argentinian team IMO. Messi saved them just like he and Di María did for most of that tournament. Di María was injured in the final and Messi had to do all the job. He did not succeed and Germany won in the extra time.

Well, you never know. Miracles do occur. However as I wrote in my lengthy post 55, we (as in Asian and Arab teams in general and most African) cannot expect to compete with the heavyweights. By all accounts the Round of 16 is composed of mostly heavyweights and the usual 1 or 2 (at most) big surprises or surprises to begin with. It is very much an exclusive group. KSA in 1994 was one of such surprises. Turkey in 2002 was another even bigger surprise. Costa Rica 3 years ago as you correctly mentioned was the most recent example. I remember Senegal in 2002 as well defeating France in the opening game.

Yes, good luck to Iran as well. As for Japan, I actually do not believe that they will exit their group. For me it will be between Poland and Colombia while Senegal will be the dark horse. A very open group in general expect for Japan who I think are much weaker than before although still no pushover of course.

Are you going to Russia this summer?

Back
Top Bottom