What's new

Saudi Arabia expresses interest in JF-17 co-production with Pakistan.

Not gonna happen habibis!
they use pakistani cheap labour; do you think they value anything that comes from pakistan? ziltch.. nada...
their money needs to be fueled back into US or Euro defence industry

even if they have interest in JFT, we need to think should we be giving/selling JFT to KSA?
who do you want to sell the jets to instead? Somalia or Botswana?

first we heard from our president that China is interested in JFT and now Saudis? only time will tell

I wonder where this jet will fit when Typhoon and F-15s have pretty much everything covered

I love it when people cheer nothing
wait for the thread about Americans "showing" interest in JFT.

still i think its unlikely that they go for jf-17 as they are massively ordering f-15 for billions of dollars . but they do have F-5 in training roles and under Saudi national guards, may be a few squadrons can replace them.

still i think its unlikely that they go for jf-17 as they are massively ordering f-15 for billions of dollars . but they do have F-5 in training roles and under Saudi national guards, may be a few squadrons can replace them.
they already got British hawks for that role

unless there is sale deal in place, i am not buying it.
As far as i have been told, it might not be a SALE deal at this moment.
They were interested in investing in PAC, buying SHARE you can say :P supporting PAC so the JF-17 program stays on track.
The planes will come later on as currently Pakistan also prefer to quickly equip its own air force with JF-17 so exporting wont be possible at this point of time.

It is indeed a great investment opportunity. Besides financing further development, there is a need for credit lines to potential customers. The Saudis will be useful on those two items. Even increasing production capacity, Saudi investment should help.
The T-50 and Gripen are doing well and JF-17 may just miss the window if they continue without sales. Saudis investing in PAC as a business and not as a customer will be a very cool move.

I wonder where this jet will fit when Typhoon and F-15s have pretty much everything covered

You can't see it as an operational requirement for the Saudi forces, since the JF 17 doesn't offer anything that the Saudis wouldn't already have in far better capability. If at all it would be a political move, in favour for Pakistan and it's aero industry.
Far more interesting from an operational point of view, should be Turkey's developments for an own stealth fighter. The Saudis know that the western countries won't sell them one anytime soon and Turkey is on a good way to develop the capability in the aero field. Joining them would be possibly the only "independent" alternative to get hands on such a NG fighter.
JF 17 for most Gulf countries would not be an operational choice, since they can afford and have access to better fighters. Which makes an export success in this region highly dependent on Pakistans government.

You can't see it as an operational requirement for the Saudi forces, since the JF 17 doesn't offer anything that the Saudis wouldn't already have in far better capability. If at all it would be a political move, in favour for Pakistan and it's aero industry.
Far more interesting from an operational point of view, should be Turkey's developments for an own stealth fighter. The Saudis know that the western countries won't sell them one anytime soon and Turkey is on a good way to develop the capability in the aero field. Joining them would be possibly the only "independent" alternative to get hands on such a NG fighter.
JF 17 for most Gulf countries would not be an operational choice, since they can afford and have access to better fighters. Which makes an export success in this region highly dependent on Pakistans government.

that leaves either Iran or Syria if the Asad regime survives the combined wrath of KSA, Turkey and Al Qaeda

for KSA there is more chance of buying Hornets for their Naval arm than the JF-17. their Typhoons cover the Multirole fighter role way too well. then their Tarnados with upgrades are already filling up the dedicated ground attack role with F-15s strike Eagles and the the air superiority fighter role.
I agree it will be a symbolic purchase if ever it happens but will be a good boost nonetheless

that leaves either Iran or Syria if the Asad regime survives the combined wrath of KSA, Turkey and Al Qaeda

for KSA there is more chance of buying Hornets for their Naval arm than the JF-17. their Typhoons cover the Multirole fighter role way too well. then their Tarnados with upgrades are already filling up the dedicated ground attack role with F-15s strike Eagles and the the air superiority fighter role.
I agree it will be a symbolic purchase if ever it happens but will be a good boost nonetheless

Actually the EF is a more than medicore multi role fighter and even the coming upgrades funded by Saudi Arabia won't help that much (Storm Shadow and most likely Brimstone), but for air superiority it's excellent. They are basically changing the F15 from air superiority to strike roles, which the huge A2G ammo purchase shows as well.
Of course, IF such a sale happens, it clearly would be a boost for Pakistan.

Actually the EF is a more than medicore multi role fighter and even the coming upgrades funded by Saudi Arabia won't help that much (Storm Shadow and most likely Brimstone), but for air superiority it's excellent. They are basically changing the F15 from air superiority to strike roles, which the huge A2G ammo purchase shows as well.
Of course, IF such a sale happens, it clearly would be a boost for Pakistan.
Now today at bbc they were discussing some regional issues, and bamas visit to Saudi, and there the Saudi gentleman, who was being interviewed mentioned that the Saudis are looking towards Pakistan for options of do it our self. Now he wont just say that if there was nothing going on in the background.

Now today at bbc they were discussing some regional issues, and bamas visit to Saudi, and there the Saudi gentleman, who was being interviewed mentioned that the Saudis are looking towards Pakistan for options of do it our self. Now he wont just say that if there was nothing going on in the background.

Saudis are using Pakistan's name for bargaining with Americans. All three concerned must know what it is about. I do not see anything coming out of it, unless KSA's bluff is called and they have to show that they really were not bluffing.

I don’t know what to call it without being rude for the Gulf countries to let the oil reserves run out without developing their industrial base … … To spend all these billions without looking at tech transfers and at a minimum, establish some basic armament industry. They have the money to match Iran, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Turkey, etc. … … I have watched them ink all these deals and always asked why it is that they don’t slowly start a defense industry and buy into partnerships. It takes years but it is never too late to start.

Back
Top Bottom