What's new

Saudi Arabia aims to raise the population to between 50 to 60 million people by 2030

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The limit for #Riyadh is 25 million people and NEOM will take care of 10 million, and until 2030 NEOM will depend on government support and after that it will be sustainable.

The Crown Prince: 50 million people, the population of the Kingdom by 2030.. 25 million Saudis and 25 million expatriates

The limit for #Riyadh is 25 million people and NEOM will take care of 10 million, and until 2030 NEOM will depend on government support and after that it will be sustainable.

Last edited:
International Monetary Fund: Saudi Arabia's economy will exceed $1 trillion in 2022 for the first time in its history..

1659289984650.png

Sounds like nonsense.

KSA's current population is 36 million of which around 25 million or so are locals with the remaining being expats.

Gaining 14-24 million new people (locals and expats) within just 8 years sounds like a pipedream.

Not only that I don't understand the need for a 50-60 million big population within 8 years.

For starters the Arab world is experiencing a population boom. I read that by 2050 the population of the Arab world will be well over 700 million people.

Yemen alone will have a population of almost 70 million in 2050.

If the leaderships of the GCC were truly visionary they would integrate into a federal state and just by doing that they would have a population close to 100 million (as of right now) alone. If Yemen would be included, add 30 million more people as of now.

So the solution is rather simple IMO.

More importantly, Arabs have TONS of land, if they invested 100's of billions (money is no problem either) into combating desertification, agriculture, greening the land, desalination etc. they could transform huge areas of arid land (desert, steppe and mountains) into very fertile lands thus preventing most of the ills of population growth. This could transform poor nations such as Yemen and transform land into highly fertile and valuable land that could easily sustain the growing populations.

If Arab leaderships were smart and truly followed what the Arab street demands, they would start an Arab political unification by uniting into powerful federal states, starting with the GCC.

The GCC, if a single federal state, would have the world's 7th largest economy approaching 2.5 trillion USD as of 2022 and such a country would be the by far richest in terms of natural wealth (oil and gas) as well as mineral resources, controlling 3 of the 5 most strategic waterways in the world (Suez Canal, Bab el Mandeb, Strait of Hormuz) not to mention one of the strongest militaries on paper. Sovereign wealth funds worth 3-4 trillion USD too (biggest in the world).

Instead the leaders ego prevents that from happening. The GCC have yet to develop a common currency. A common customs union and an integrated army structure are good steps but much more could be done.

Somehow (down the line) integrating Yemen into the union would also be crucial. Call it (rightly) the Arabian Peninsula Union, Union of Arabia or Arabian Union as well instead of the GCC. Never understood that name to begin with.

Last edited:
The above forecast includes Iran's 94 million in 2050 per below link. In general, the Arab world is heading towards the same trend as the rest of the world outside sub-saharan Africa. i.e., fertility rates dropping near or even below the 2.1 replacement rate. Already half the Arab world has reached that level, with Iran/Turkey/Bangladesh already there too. Ultimately, the Saudis will need immigrants from Pakistan to realize their goals.

Does not make my claim of rapid population growth any less accurate. Then make that well over 600 million instead. Point being that people (large populations) is the last thing that the Arabs and the Arab world are in need of.

As for the news of this thread, it is completely unrealistic to expect 14-24 million new people (locals and expats) in KSA by 2030. Nor is there such a need. If the GCC united into a federal state there would be no talk of needing to increase the population. Let alone integrating with Yemen which faces rapid population growth and is the perfect and most natural market for human capital and hands (potential workers).

Large expat populations will remain in the GCC as that region will continue to attract them whether they are Arab or non-Arab expats.

As for official data from Arab countries in regards to fertility rates, I would not trust those numbers one bit. Rapid population growth continues in practically every Arab state, even war torn ones. Look at Iraq, Yemen, Syria and Libya.

War torn nations always have the best population growth rates. Afghanistan and the war torn parts of sub-Saharan Africa are perfect examples.

I believe the Saudis can easily get 10 million Pakistanis to move there by 2030 if they offered immediate citizenship and decent minimum wage.

In any case the Arab world will have a rapid population increase in the next many decades and such a thing is often a cause for problems, in particular in the less wealthy and stable Arab countries.

South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa is a good example of why rapid population growth is not a blessing per se but often a curse if not managed correctly.

Yes, they could do that with 10's of millions of Arabs as well (just from neighboring countries alone) but why would they? Why would they give millions of mostly lowly-skilled expats citizenship? Would locals in KSA ever accept such a thing? I doubt it on such a massive scale.

What they probably would do is to give the most talented ones citizenship but can KSA attract so many talented expats (millions) within 8 years? Highly doubtful if not impossible.

Even more importantly we are moving towards a time period in the world were automatization and robotics will dominate many fields of work that humans once dominated. What is the point of even more people?

Then there is the topic of the environment and the negative effects of rapid population growth in delicate climatic ecosystems. Of course there are solutions to all of those problems if managed correctly and due to the breakthrough of new and improving technology (just look how much cheaper and more effective desalination has become etc.) but nevertheless I highly doubt that KSA would somehow magically get an 14-24 million (!!!) population increase within the next 8 years. 19 million is half of 14-24 million so let's say KSA will gain 19 million new people (locals as well as natives). That would mean around 2.4 million new people each year for the next 8 years.

I simply don't believe that this will ever happen.

I agree with what you say. I do not think it is good for a country to have more than 2 children per family on average in the modern world. Ultimately, instead of some kind of demographic dividend, you will just cause massive internal conflict, including inter-state and inter-ethnic violence as we are now seeing in half of Pakistan. Water shortages and flooding related deaths are only going to worsen in South Asia with each passing year. Nature will eventually win and force lower populations in some regions.

As far as giving foreigners (skilled and unskilled) Saudi citizenship, I would not put it past MBS and his rapid action-oriented moves. Perhaps no more than say 100,000 over 10 years, but it could start to happen finally after being discussed in the past. It will also increase respect for Islam if its homeland allows citizenship to all races.

I agree with your overall post as well.

KSA, if it wanted, could become the USA of the Muslim world in the sense of attracting talented Muslims from all across the Muslim world. KSA, contrary to popular belief, is already one of the most diverse Muslim nations on the planet by virtue of welcoming Hajis from across the Muslim world for 1400 years in a row. Not to mention economic settlers and trade. After all Arabia sits at the crossroads of the 3 main continents of the world (Asia, Africa and Europe) almost in the middle of the world if you look at a globe.

Of course the main and dominant culture will remain the local Arabian/Arab one as is the case today and eventually those outside arrivals will blend in with the locals as has been happening in Hijaz and other regions of KSA for 1400 years (before that too) but the same is the case with the USA (English language, English law, culture and customs dominating mostly to this day).

The problem is that Arabs are extremely proud people, somewhat tribal to this day (some are thus prone to xenophobia which is typical overall in the Middle East) and Arabia is an ancient entity unlike the US which was created as a melting pot of migrants (the natives were mostly killed off completely). So not sure if this experiment (if it even happens) could succeed.

However KSA has unique opportunities that they either can take advantage of or not take advantage of.

Ideally they would find a healthy balance. They probably will somehow.

Does not make my claim of rapid population growth any less accurate. Then make that well over 600 million instead. Point being that people (large populations) is the last thing that the Arabs and the Arab world are in need of.

As for the news of this thread, it is completely unrealistic to expect 14-24 million new people (locals and expats) in KSA by 2030. Nor is there such a need. If the GCC united into a federal state there would be no talk of needing to increase the population. Let alone integrating with Yemen which faces rapid population growth and is the perfect and most natural market for human capital and hands (potential workers).

Large expat populations will remain in the GCC as that region will continue to attract them whether they are Arab or non-Arab expats.

As for official data from Arab countries in regards to fertility rates, I would not trust those numbers one bit. Rapid population growth continues in practically every Arab state, even war torn ones. Look at Iraq, Yemen, Syria and Libya.
You seem to know better than MBS!!

Get off the high horse Bro..

He said NEOM alone need a 10 million population..

Allowing the recruitment of Iraqi competencies in 331 professions through the Qiwa platform. (Okaz)

Most likely ..Egyptians, Jordanians, Sudanese and Moroccans too..

Crown Prince:

The limit for Riyadh is 25 million people and NEOM will take care of 10 million, and until 2030 NEOM will depend on government support and after that it will be sustainable.

Saudi Arabia has a very small population compared to its area, which is about 22 million local people... compared to the Emirates, about one and a half million citizens, Qatar is 400 thousand, Kuwait is within one million, and Bahrain may be 200 thousand... for very small land sizes..

Crown Prince's words are realistic and feasible..

The number of Saudis is now 22 million.. in 2030, the country is looking to reach 25 million, which means an increase of 3 million within 7 years..

The reproduction rate among Saudis is 2.4, and the required rate of population increase is 2.1..

Permanent residency will be calculated independently of other residencies as naturalization (Naturalization has been opened for talents only in limited numbers).. 5 million will get permanent residency.. witch will enable them to pump another 5 million visas.. and so on..

Now there are 17 million foreign workers and every year KSA is bring in 2 million more..
This means that visas will be stopped in 2026 because the number will reach 25 million foreigners..

If the number of visas is reduced to one million, KSA will reach 25 million foreigners by 2030.. easy calculus..

The goal of their increase is the amounts that they pay each month and to strengthen the Saudi market in terms of consumption. 25 million provide the government with $250 billion, and with the tax, the least is it will increases by $50 billion, which means almost $300 billion..

To be honest, the issue is a strategic shift, not an easy decision, and it has repercussions..

Last edited:
Are you sure that Sudanese will be treated like the other Arabs? Especially the darker skinned Sudanese? In my trips to the Middle East, there is clear discrimination. The white man still rules in the hierarchy, although he almost never wants citizenship in KSA.

What about Pakistanis who are born in Saudi Arabia to immigrants? I suspect that the "forward thinking" MBS will allow far more of them to become citizens in comparison to the past.

You obviously don't know how big is the dark population of KSA.. take a look for example at prince Bandar bin sultan Al Saud..

1659318198223.png

Is he a white man for you???

Yes permanent residency.. citizenship is constrained to exceptional talents.. be it in arts or sciences..

I agree with your overall post as well.

KSA, if it wanted, could become the USA of the Muslim world in the sense of attracting talented Muslims from all across the Muslim world. KSA, contrary to popular belief, is already one of the most diverse Muslim nations on the planet by virtue of welcoming Hajis from across the Muslim world for 1400 years in a row. Not to mention economic settlers and trade. After all Arabia sits at the crossroads of the 3 main continents of the world (Asia, Africa and Europe) almost in the middle of the world if you look at a globe.

Of course the main and dominant culture will remain the local Arabian/Arab one as is the case today and eventually those outside arrivals will blend in with the locals as has been happening in Hijaz and other regions of KSA for 1400 years (before that too) but the same is the case with the USA (English language, English law, culture and customs dominating mostly to this day).

The problem is that Arabs are extremely proud people, somewhat tribal to this day (some are thus prone to xenophobia which is typical overall in the Middle East) and Arabia is an ancient entity unlike the US which was created as a melting pot of migrants (the natives were mostly killed off completely). So not sure if this experiment (if it even happens) could succeed.

However KSA has unique opportunities that they either can take advantage of or not take advantage of.

Ideally they would find a healthy balance. They probably will somehow.
I will somewhat disagree with the cultural part of your post. Even when I was there, the young people of big cities like Jeddah and Riyadh were already quite westernized so I will assume that even more of the population is now westernized.

Does this mean Saudi is the regional superpower and not Turkey ??

You seem to know better than MBS!!

Get off the high horse Bro..

He said NEOM alone need a 10 million population..

Allowing the recruitment of Iraqi competencies in 331 professions through the Qiwa platform. (Okaz)

Most likely ..Egyptians, Jordanians, Sudanese and Moroccans too..

Crown Prince:

The limit for Riyadh is 25 million people and NEOM will take care of 10 million, and until 2030 NEOM will depend on government support and after that it will be sustainable.

Saudi Arabia has a very small population compared to its area, which is about 22 million local people... compared to the Emirates, about one and a half million citizens, Qatar is 400 thousand, Kuwait is within one million, and Bahrain may be 200 thousand... for very small land sizes..

Crown Prince's words are realistic and feasible..

The number of Saudis is now 22 million.. in 2030, the country is looking to reach 25 million, which means an increase of 3 million within 7 years..

The reproduction rate among Saudis is 2.4, and the required rate of population increase is 2.1..

Permanent residency will be calculated independently of other residencies as naturalization (Naturalization has been opened for talents only in limited numbers).. 5 million will get permanent residency.. witch will enable them to pump another 5 million visas.. and so on..

Now there are 17 million foreign workers and every year KSA is bring in 2 million more..
This means that visas will be stopped in 2026 because the number will reach 25 million foreigners..

If the number of visas is reduced to one million, KSA will reach 25 million foreigners by 2030.. easy calculus..

The goal of their increase is the amounts that they pay each month and to strengthen the Saudi market in terms of consumption. 25 million provide the government with $250 billion, and with the tax, the least is it will increases by $50 billion, which means almost $300 billion..

To be honest, the issue is a strategic shift, not an easy decision, and it has repercussions..

None of that makes any sense with all due respect. 19 million more locals and expats within the next 8 years? 25 million big population in Riyadh (who would even want such a large population?) and 10 million in NEOM? Sounds like pipedreams and bad ones at that too.

How does that fit into the ongoing Saudization policies?

Too many contradictions.

I will somewhat disagree with the cultural part of your post. Even when I was there, the young people of big cities like Jeddah and Riyadh were already quite westernized so I will assume that even more of the population is now westernized.

Saudi Arabians and Arabs have in general taken the good from the West and not adopted the harmful things by large due to the strong Arab and Islamic heritage of their societies.

However they remain conservative when it comes to the family, social elements and marriage. It is not my experience that people within KSA want to copy the small GCC states such as UAE and Qatar where locals are heavily outnumbered by foreigners (non-Arabs and Arabs).

You obviously don't know how big is the dark population of KSA.. take a look for example at prince Bandar bin sultan Al Saud..

View attachment 866838

Is he a white man for you???

Yes permanent residency.. citizenship is constrained to exceptional talents.. be it in arts or sciences..

That guys mother was a Yemeni woman of African origin (found that info online). The Blacks of KSA are all of African origin, not locals, unless mixed with local Arabs. Jeddah for instance is full of illegal Africans. Now the municipality is flattening those illegal ghettos in Jeddah and Makkah, I read. Long overdue.

That guys mother was a Yemeni woman of African origin (found that info online). The Blacks of KSA are all of African origin, not locals, unless mixed with local Arabs. Jeddah for instance is full of illegal Africans. Now the municipality is flattening those illegal ghettos in Jeddah and Makkah, I read. Long overdue.
Remember Aantar ibn Cheddad???

None of that makes any sense with all due respect. 19 million more locals and expats within the next 8 years? 25 million big population in Riyadh (who would even want such a large population?) and 10 million in NEOM? Sounds like pipedreams and bad ones at that too.

How does that fit into the ongoing Saudization policies?

Too many contradictions.

Saudi Arabians and Arabs have in general taken the good from the West and not adopted the harmful things by large due to the strong Arab and Islamic heritage of their societies.

However they remain conservative when it comes to the family, social elements and marriage. It is not my experience that people within KSA want to copy the small GCC states such as UAE and Qatar where locals are heavily outnumbered by foreigners (non-Arabs and Arabs).
Well even NEOM was considered a pipe dream.. but it was proven it is not..

50 million is an ideal population for KSA by 2030.. it will create a big market internally.. And 70 million is the real ideal population for beyond 2030..

MBS is not pipe dreaming ..He is a calculating Crown Prince..and he really knows what he is talking about..projecting and realizing..

Well even NEOM was considered a pipe dream.. but it was proven it is not..

50 million is an ideal population for KSA by 2030.. it will create a big market internally.. And 70 million is the real ideal population for beyond 2030..

MBS is not pipe dreaming ..He is a calculating Crown Prince..and he really knows what he is talking about..projecting and realizing..

We will have to wait and see my friend. I am hoping for all the best for KSA.

Back
Top Bottom