What's new

SAAB-2000 has handed over to PAF

Mubashar_ali

New Recruit

Reaction score
Congratulations all the Pakistanis.

SAAB-2000 has now handed over to Pakistan. This Plane has a long range radar like AWACS.

Congrats again.
:pakistan: :pakistan: :pakistan:

Congratulations all the Pakistanis.

SAAB-2000 has now handed over to Pakistan. This Plane has a long range radar like AWACS.

Congrats again.
:pakistan: :pakistan: :pakistan:

it was a ceremony to hand over ownership to the PAF (GoP). it will require 1-yr of systems trials and training of crews before it is operational by mid-june-2009 as per schedule.

What is the source of this news. Please provide some link.
Regards,

I'm loving it.:smitten: This capability was along awaited by the PAF and finally we have got it. By the way why will it take a whole full year for trials? The system is a developed and proven one.

Swedish AWACS aircraft built for Pakistan rolled out

ISLAMABAD, APR 3 (PTI)
The first of the five Swedish airborne early warning and control system (AWACS) aircraft being built for Pakistan has been rolled out and will be delivered to the country by next year.

In a statement issued today, the PAF described the rolling out of the Saab 2000 Erieye aircraft before Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed in Sweden as a "major landmark" in its airborne early warning programme.

"The acquisition of airborne early warning capability by the PAF would greatly enhance its defensive capability and is an essential part of its modernisation efforts," Ahmed said.

He added that the achievement of airborne early warning capability will provide a much needed boost to Pakistan's security needs.

Swedish defence major Saab will deliver the first of five airborne early warning and control system aircraft to Pakistan by next year. After being rolled out in Sweden, the first aircraft will be prepared for flight trials by the yearend after being equipped with a full suite of mission systems, including radars and avionics.

The aircraft will be put through trials before being delivered to the PAF. Pakistan signed a contract with Saab for the AWACS in June 2006 and the aircraft have been specially developed to PAF's requirements.

The aircraft will also be equipped with electronic surveillance support systems for intelligence gathering and a full set of defensive aids. The project merges Saab's 2000 turboprop aircraft with Ericsson's Erieye radar system.

Pakistan is also negotiating with China for acquiring additional AWACS.

6 Saab 2000 Erieye AWACS + 1 Training Aircraft

Best of Luck PAF

even better than that, pakistan is working with china on a joint AWACS program. soon, insha'Allah we will have the whole infrastructure set up for future use which by the way can lead to the production of our indigenous AESA radar.

Besides that, can anyone tell me if we are getting these on terms of Transfer of Technology (ToT)?

even better than that, pakistan is working with china on a joint AWACS program. soon, insha'Allah we will have the whole infrastructure set up for future use which by the way can lead to the production of our indigenous AESA radar.

Besides that, can anyone tell me if we are getting these on terms of Transfer of Technology (ToT)?

With the Chinese there is talk of ToT. After all they built one of the 3 AWACS completely for PAF. Remember the 1996-1997 meeting with Chinese authorities when IAF was buying Phalcons? As I recall the PLAAF's chief's words were "[Don't worry] ... we'll come up with something"

I don't think there is any discussions with SAAB on ToT.

With the Chinese there is talk of ToT. After all they built one of the 3 AWACS completely for PAF. Remember the 1996-1997 meeting with Chinese authorities when IAF was buying Phalcons? As I recall the PLAAF's chief's words were "[Don't worry] ... we'll come up with something"

I don't think there is any discussions with SAAB on ToT.

ever since the crash of the prototypeY-8, there is silence on this project so we need to be patient with this one.

Enjoy. The single most expensive platform in the history of the PAF!!

Enjoy. The single most expensive platform in the history of the PAF!!

It should not hurt us if we buy expensive but quality equipment which will ensure PAF a ROBUST capability to handle the challenges of 21st century.:pakistan:

ever since the crash of the prototypeY-8, there is silence on this project so we need to be patient with this one.

Yes there are some concerns & at one point (as I have heard) PAF showed more interest in KJ-2000 than Y-8 based KJ-200 AEW&C System. We might opt for different smaller platforms (like; SAAB-2000, ATR-45) or may be even a large size aircraft like IL-76 (which I don't believe would be feasible unless we really go for KJ-2000).

However; there are also assurances on Y-8 by Chinese. They emphasize that Y-8 was an isolated event.

It should not hurt us if we buy expensive but quality equipment which will ensure PAF a ROBUST capability to handle the challenges of 21st century.:pakistan:

I agree. I was just presenting a little bit of factual data. Not saying that this is an unwise investment.

In early 2006 the Pakistan Air Force ordered six Saab 2000 fitted with Erieye AEW systems from Sweden in a deal valued roughly $1bn. In December 2006 the Pakistan Navy requested three excess P-3 Orion aircraft equipped with Hawkeye 2000 AEW systems, the overall cost of the program is $855mn. China and Pakistan also signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the joint development of Airborne Early Warning & Control (AEW&C) systems.

Thank you for the very old information......:disagree:
Please stop copy pasting unless it adds to the discussion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom