S Korea‘s Chip Industry Faces Tough Choice Between U.S. and China: Report

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

S Korea‘s Chip Industry Faces Tough Choice Between U.S. and China: Report​

Posted on September 1, 2023 by Korea Bizwire

SEOUL, Sept. 1 (Korea Bizwire) — South Korea’s chip industry, heavily dependent on China for production and exports, faces a dilemma due to the United States government’s policy of promoting sanctions against Beijing, a report showed Thursday.

The global chip supply network is projected to undergo reorganization between 2025 and 2030, aligning with the anticipated impact of the U.S. CHIPS and Science Act and the European Union’s European Chips Act, according to a report issued by the Korea International Trade Association (KITA).

In the case of South Korea, Samsung Electronics Co. and SK hynix Inc. plan to invest 217.1 billion won (US$164 million) and 15 billion won, respectively, in semiconductor facilities in the U.S. over the next decade.

The challenge lies in meeting stringent criteria, including restrictions on investments in China, the redemption of excess profits, and the submission of sensitive information to qualify for semiconductor subsidies from the U.S.

From a medium- and long-term perspective, these companies might also face pressure from the U.S. to reduce connections with China, which could potentially impose a greater burden.

Choosing not to receive U.S. subsidies could lead to isolation from the global semiconductor alliance led by Washington. Given these factors, companies find it challenging to make a decision.

“Significantly expanding semiconductor facilities in major countries makes acquiring core talent and maintaining a stable workforce critical tasks for businesses,” said Lee Jung-ah, a senior researcher at KITA and co-author of the report.

“Both the government and the chip industry should spare no effort in investing to nurture talent.”

LG makes the greatest OLED panels on Earth

Mine cracked just saying from personal experience but my Huawei had been fine for the past 4 years.

Okay, I certainly understand that

And just for the record I don't own an OLED, let alone an LG OLED, but the picture is absolutely incredible.

the main issue with OLEDs is burn in, although over the years manufacturers have lessened that significantly. I'm still to paranoid to get one because of that though.

It might surprise you that I own a Hisense television. Hisense I believe will be the next LG

An incredible bang for your buck here in the states at least

Okay, I certainly understand that

And just for the record I don't own an OLED, let alone an LG OLED, but the picture is absolutely incredible.

the main issue with old legs is burn in, although over the years manufacturers have lessened significantly. I'm still to paranoid to get one because of that though.

It might surprise you that I own a Hisense television. Hisense I believe will be the next LG

An incredible bang for your buck here in the states at least

TCL might be a better bet. Hisense is much lower down the food chain?

TCL might be a better bet. Hisense is much lower down the food chain?

I can't speak to any other Nation on Earth, but here in the states Hisense and TCL basically run neck and neck. But Hisense winst out more times than not and all the unbiased reviews

They both really give a good bang for the buck though. They can compete with TVs hundreds of USD more than them

I'm mainly referring to the higher end models. Can't speak to the lower budget ones

Mini LED TVs are really good, but obviously can't quite compete with an OLED

At least not yet anyway

Back
Top Bottom