What's new

Russian-backed RT channel disappears from Bangladesh

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

Russian-backed RT channel disappears from Bangladesh​

Cable operators in the dark over why channel is no longer available

1646968926723.jpeg

Russia Today (RT) logo is seen in this illustration picture taken February 26, 2022 Reuters

Mamun Abdullah
March 9, 2022 12:59 PM

Russia’s state-controlled international television network Russia Today (RT) has disappeared from all broadcast platforms in Bangladesh.
TV viewers have complained that they have not been able to watch the channel for the last four days.

Masum Mollah, from Rampura, said he and his family had been following the Russia-Ukraine war on RT since it began. However, the channel suddenly stopped being broadcast from the night of March 5.

When he asked cable operators why the channel was no longer available, they could not provide an answer.

Businessman Mahbubur Rahman, a resident of Khilgaon, said his son studied at the Peoples' Friendship University of Russia (RUDN). For the past three years, he had been watching RT before going to bed at night.

“There was no warning at all. The channel just stopped for some reason,” he said.

When contacted, TV viewers and cable operators in Dhanmondi, Bashabo, Mirpur, Gulshan and Maghbazar said that RT was no longer available in the country

Mojibur Rahman, joint secretary (TV) of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, told Dhaka Tribune there were no longer any Russian channels on the list of TV channels permitted by the government.

He added that he did not know why the channel had been taken off the list.

SK Shamsur Rahman, deputy secretary (Tv-2) of the same ministry, also said he did not know why RT was no longer permitted.

Cable Operators Association of Bangladesh (COAB) President SM Anwar Parvez said they had not received any formal letter from the government to ban RT.

“We informed our cable operators and they told us RT had been blocked for unknown reasons. Satellite companies that broadcast the channel may have been banned or may not be promoting the channel for various reasons,” he added.

“Occasionally, one or two channels are blocked due to satellite companies. Neither our government nor cable operators have stopped airing foreign channels. Broadcast companies may have shut them down,” the COAB president further said.

According to international media reports, EU sanctions were officially approved on late Tuesday night to block the RT channel due to an investigation by media regulator Ofcom into its coverage of the war in Ukraine.

In a separate decision, YouTube blocked RT’s streams from being accessed across Europe, including in the UK, cutting one of its main routes to the western public, the Guardian reported.

The UK media regulator Ofcom is currently investigating RT for 27 potential breaches of its broadcasting code. The watchdog has the power to revoke a broadcast licence, but any action is likely to take weeks, according to BBC.

Although the UK is no longer in the EU, the bloc applied sanctions to satellite companies in Luxembourg and France, which provided RT feed to Sky, Freesat and Freeview.

How come ? I though BD is abstain in recent UN resolution that shows its neutral stance on the conflict

Meanwhile In Indonesia, despite we are among 141 nations in UN who condemn Russia, we can still watch RT 24 hours

Any way RT in Youtube is also still active

The only reason I can think of is BD TV satellite companies use Western base company to broadcast the program to BD via satellite.

Last edited:
RT HAS BEEN REMOVED YOUTUBE (Philippines)

how abt in other countries

I WAS WATCHING DOCUMENTARIES ABT THE DONBASS ODESSA ETC..

SO MUCH FOR DEMOCRACY FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION & SPEECH

How come ? I though BD is abstain in recent UN resolution that shows its neutral stance on the conflict

Meanwhile In Indonesia, despite we are among 141 nations in UN who condemn Russia, we can still watch RT 24 hours

The only reason I can think of is BD TV satellite companies use Western base company to broadcast the program to BD via satellite.
unavailable in your country... I guess RT YouTube is banned in a US

RT has been stopped by eurprean carriers. BD is reliant on those. Nothing at all to do with BD government. Watch TRT... the turks are giving a balanced view....well compared to western channels at least.

unavailable in your country... I guess RT YouTube is banned in a US

Yup, now they have banned it in Youtube, but I just check on my satellite TV I can still see RT but with different name "Russian Today". I am in Indonesia.

Well RT name look like coming from Russian Today, but in my TV usually it is named Russian RT News.

It’s worldwide, every country now.

Nope, I can still watch in Indonesia, just minutes ago I check

Last edited:
Is it because of the argument and evidence presented on their program is attracting so many viewers that it became worrisome for the US Administration?
They are losing their scripts.

So they resorted to gagging all these alternative facts Channels?
While promoting fake freedom of speech and democracy.

What are they scared of?
Americans actually start thinking.

Doubts raised among Americans about their own News Media.

Is it about control over the people mind?

The truth will always remain the truth and lies will stay as lies, as many ancient sages were saying.

Is it because of the argument and evidence presented on their program is attracting so many viewers that it became worrisome for the US Administration?
They are losing their scripts.

So they resorted to gagging all these alternative facts Channels?
While promoting fake freedom of speech and democracy.

What are they scared of?
Americans actually start thinking.

Doubts raised among Americans about their own News Media.

Is it about control over the people mind?

The truth will always remain the truth and lies will stay as lies, as many ancient sages were saying.

Most Americans would not touch any serious news channel with a 10 foot pole

If ISIS not allow to have tv channel why puter should have one?

Both are terrorists.

Good decision to ban RT

Your YouTube link does not work here in India. Indian government has blocked it surely.

RT HAS BEEN REMOVED YOUTUBE (Philippines)

how abt in other countries

I WAS WATCHING DOCUMENTARIES ABT THE DONBASS ODESSA ETC..

SO MUCH FOR DEMOCRACY FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION & SPEECH

The underlined, please read above.

And yes, this is the great Western Democracy, Freedom of expression and speech at work. :lol:

If ISIS not allow to have tv channel why puter should have one?

Both are terrorists.

Good decision to ban RT

How is Putin a terrorist ? What about Zakir Naik whose "Peace" TV exists or used to exist ? What about BBC, CNN etc ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom