What's new

RUSSIA TO DESTROY MERKEL: US official discovers intelligence of takedown plot

CBU-105

Reaction score
Country
India
RUSSIA TO DESTROY MERKEL: US official discovers intelligence of takedown plot

RUSSIA has launched a cyber campaign to take down Angela Merkel and promote far-right groups in the upcoming German elections, a US official has claimed.

By Katie Mansfield
PUBLISHED: 10:17, Sun, Dec 11, 2016 | UPDATED: 11:59, Sun, Dec 11, 2016

Moscow will escalate a decade long operation to boost support for the far-right and nationalist groups in Germany.

It comes as a CIA probe confirms Moscow helped Donald Trump win the US election though a series of cyber attacks.

A US official familiar with the investigation says Russian President Vladimir Putin will continue to wreck havoc.

moscow-merkel-plot-741960.jpg

Russia has launched a campaign to interfere with the German elections, a US official has claimed

The official said Moscow is launching a similar effort to influence the next German election, following an escalating campaign to promote far-right and nationalist political parties and individuals in Europe that began more than a decade ago.

In both cases, said the official, Mr Putin's campaigns in both Europe and the US are intended to disrupt and discredit the Western concept of democracy by promoting extremist candidates, parties, and political figures.

angela-merkel-751278.jpg

Angela Merkel is seeking a fourth term as German Chancellor

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who is seeking a fourth term in office, has already said she cannot rule out Russia interfering in Germany's 2017 election through internet attacks and misinformation campaigns.

The under-fire leader is attempting to regain support lost to the far-right, anti-immigration Alternative for Germany (AfD).

Support has surged for the AfD in the wake of Mrs Merkel’s open door immigration policy which saw a record 890,000 mainly Muslim migrants from the Middle East and Africa arrive in Germany last year.

The rise of the AfD could also impact Germany’s EU membership as a wave of populism threatens to break up the crumbling bloc.

German officials have accused Moscow of trying to manipulate German media to fan popular angst over issues like the migrant crisis, weaken voter trust and breed dissent within the European Union so that it drops sanctions against Moscow.

Germany's domestic intelligence agency has reported a striking increase in Russian propaganda and disinformation campaigns aimed at destabilising German society, and targeted cyber attacks against political parties.

Putin-751281.jpg

Putin's campaigns in both Europe and the US plan to discredit the West, the official claimed

Hans-Georg Maassen, head of the BfV spy agency, said: "We see aggressive and increased cyber spying and cyber operations that could potentially endanger German government officials, members of parliament and employees of democratic parties.”

Mr Maassen, raised similar concerns about Russian efforts to interfere in local German elections last month, said there is increasing evidence about such intervention and said further cyber attacks are expected.

73989.jpg

Vladimir Putin as Darth Maul

The agency said it had seen a wide variety of Russian propaganda tools and "enormous use of financial resources" to carry out "disinformation" campaigns aimed at the Russian-speaking community in Germany, political movements, parties and other decision makers.

The goal was to spread uncertainty, strengthen extremist groups and parties, complicate the work of the federal government and "weaken or destabilise the Federal Republic of Germany".

Russian officials have denied all accusations of interference in the US election or intending to weaken the EU.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ny-election-cyber-attack-plot-us-official-cia

pretty much bullshit.

In Italy our Forza Italia is also far right and does not get support from russia. The liberal left simply fucked up. People are sick with that and vote accordingly.

Beside that, whats wrong about getting rid of Merkel? She damaged Europe. She damaged Germany.

I think there is pretty credible evidence that Russia did intervene in this manner, in the US presidential election. I also don't think it changed the outcome, anymore than it would in Germany. I'm not upset about such hacking or cyber ops. My country has certainly intervened with it's intelligence services in any number of elections in other countries. It's what intelligence services do.

Is there a precedent for a re-vote in the event a foreign entity interferes or alters an election? Russia and the US have a history of interfering in each others elections, but if widespread enough and if enough fraudulent or outside influence effects the outcome of the election, can a re-vote be called for.

It would take an extraordinary act of Congress to re-set an election date and it would be challenged in the courts. The US Constitution has very specific date requirements, that would have to be bypassed.

As for Russia, I support closer ties to them, especially as in the agricultural and energy sections we've historic and ongoing business ties with major Russian companies, but I also support closer ties to our historical partners in the US and UK.

I'd love to see an Arctic Nation Cooperation Group to further enhance the ties of Norway, Denmark, Iceland, the US, Russia and Canada - and maybe the UK too.

We will no doubt, have closer ties to Russia in a Trump administration but we will always have areas of conflict and you mentioned one. Russia has been very aggressively militarising it's Arctic region with an eye toward greater development/energy resource potential with global warming making that possible. They tend to view the whole Arctic as their "backyard". The West has been asleep at the switch thus far, in responding. That will change and countries like Norway, will be major players as per your government's wishes.

pretty much bullshit.

In Italy our Forza Italia is also far right and does not get support from russia. The liberal left simply fucked up. People are sick with that and vote accordingly.

Beside that, whats wrong about getting rid of Merkel? She damaged Europe. She damaged Germany.
Europe better get its shit together, otherwise with the influx of muslim migrants, it will become a hellhole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darth Putin made me laugh :-)
it's right there in the article, I didn't doctor anything.

ok, it's a hotlink to a funny Putin photoshops thing but it's right there in the middle of the original article, spilt my coffee when I saw that too. :P

Europe better get its shit together, otherwise with the influx of muslim migrants, it will become a hellhole.

Can we make a deal?

You dont insult me and i wont insult you.

We already got our "shit together".

That said you know my party is for good relations between Italy and Russia?

We will no doubt, have closer ties to Russia in a Trump administration but we will always have areas of conflict and you mentioned one. Russia has been very aggressively militarising it's Arctic region with an eye toward greater development/energy resource potential with global warming making that possible. They tend to view the whole Arctic as their "backyard". The West has been asleep at the switch thus far, in responding. That will change and countries like Norway, will be major players as per your government's wishes.
They've ramped up their militarization of the northern areas post the sanctions. Tillerson is an extremely interesting pick as secretary of state in this regard, he and Trump will make a deal on all that potential Russian energy in those areas, and Putin needs Exon etc's western technology to extract it.

Under Trump, the US will probably try and wean itself away from dependency on middle eastern oil imports, and Russian energy might prove to be a stop gap measure while he works on eventual energy independence by exploring/drilling reserves in North America itself. This is likely to play out slowly over the next decade or so as Trump serves his two terms.

Can we make a deal?

You dont insult me and i wont insult you.

We already got our "shit together".

That said you know my party is for good relations between Italy and Russia?
I apologise if any of my words have hurted your sentiments. Cheers!!

LOL leftist-liberals crying Russia Russia everywhere. Even saying Russia rigged US elections to promote Trump.

So, let me get it right, you think the world's top Spy Agency, the CIA, is filled with leftist-liberals? Either you have no clue what you are talking about or you have no experience of any sort in real life :hitwall:.

You know who is Putins best friend?
I dont know, Buffy? Anyways enlighten me sir.
So, let me get it right, you think the world's top Spy Agency, the CIA, is filled with leftist-liberals? Either you have no clue what you are talking about or you have no experience of any sort in real life :hitwall:.
No but quoting unofficial anonymous sources as "CIA said" is pretty low as a journalist standards. Also why attack Russia? Isn't that Obama who once said to Romney "The 1980s Are Calling, They Want Their Foreign Policy Back", when Romney accused Russia. But suddenly all hell broke the moment democrats lost?

Back
Top Bottom