What's new

Romania aims to buy US F-35 fighter jets to boost air defenses

When you buy something from US, although you pay in full, sometimes more than full, but, you feel like as if USA is giving you a favor.

The funnier part of the story is, you just un-friend USA, you might never need that thing ever again.

It depends on what you understand as "little money"....Romania has a state budget of 132 billion dollars, with 19 million, people. As a comparison Turkey has 239 billion with 4.5xtimes the population ,while Pakistan has only 33 billion dollars budget with 12 times the population.

It's GDP is 285 billion and is paying around 5 billion for jets. Let's just leave aside the initial cost for Romania what about maintenance and running costs of these state of the art jets.
You say Romania has a small population that is true but it's also true vast numbers of Romanians have left the country due to poor living conditions. We have around half a million in the UK who came over during the EU years.

Romania has experienced the biggest increase in emigration among EU members since 1990, according to a recent World Bank report. Between 3 million and 5 million Romanians — from a country with 19.6 million citizens — now live and work abroad.

That is insane....These guys are all younger folks and starting families. Who will provide growth and output for the country?

I'm thinking they could have gone for something lower tier but still effective.

It's GDP is 285 billion and is paying around 5 billion for jets. Let's just leave aside the initial cost for Romania what about maintenance and running costs of these state of the art jets.
You say Romania has a small population that is true but it's also true vast numbers of Romanians have left the country due to poor living conditions. We have around half a million in the UK who came over during the EU years.

Romania has experienced the biggest increase in emigration among EU members since 1990, according to a recent World Bank report. Between 3 million and 5 million Romanians — from a country with 19.6 million citizens — now live and work abroad.

That is insane....These guys are all younger folks and starting families. Who will provide growth and output for the country?

I'm thinking they could have gone for something lower tier but still effective.
3 to 5 million out of over 23,19 million is the in country population according to last years census but that's beside the point. It's still a country of a 300 billion GDP who can afford to pay for some 48 F35's over the next 10 years.
Morocco paid 3.8billion for 25 F16V's,and it has half of Romania's GDP.....there are far poorer countries out there spending money for weapons...

Anyway, everyone can rest assured, the money are allready drafted in MoD budgets for the next several years, alongside other military acquisition programs allready approved, worth over 10 billion dollars.

It should be around 4.8 to 5 billion dollars for 32jets and support equipment and munitions,based on what Finland paid.
Special allies discounts are expected:))

Finland is going to manufacture parts for F-35's what makes it possible to do overhauls for other nations F-35's.

3 to 5 million out of over 23,19 million is the in country population according to last years census but that's beside the point. It's still a country of a 300 billion GDP who can afford to pay for some 48 F35's over the next 10 years.
Morocco paid 3.8billion for 25 F16V's,and it has half of Romania's GDP.....there are far poorer countries out there spending money for weapons...

Anyway, everyone can rest assured, the money are allready drafted in MoD budgets for the next several years, alongside other military acquisition programs allready approved, worth over 10 billion dollars.

That's true, but again back to the point Morocco is hardly an example of financial prudence. That being said we have no idea if the Saudis didn't finance it.
Over 10 years I guess it's not too bad, and the program has economies of scale.
I think they will cut the order down. A smaller order with advanced F-16's would have been more sustainable. Of course this is guess work.

That's true, but again back to the point Morocco is hardly an example of financial prudence. That being said we have no idea if the Saudis didn't finance it.
Over 10 years I guess it's not too bad, and the program has economies of scale.
I think they will cut the order down. A smaller order with advanced F-16's would have been more sustainable. Of course this is guess work.
As long as everything it's maintained in a 2.5 to 3 % military budget (it's currently at 2.5 with rumours of it going up to 3% in the future),the Army's expenses are covered without inflated costs.
If you ask me, more important than percent of GDP, is the percent of the actual money you have yearly,that being you year on year expenses....the Budget.Turkey spends 11% of its budget on its Army, Pakistan over 20%,if not more.....even with current and future acquisitions Romania spends 5.5/6 %, might go up to 7% of its budget for military needs.
That sounds reasonable to me...
Btw,look at the latest F16 orders,they cost as much as the F35's,but the US doesn't sell the F35 to everyone.....As I've said, Morocco paid for their F16's just as much as Poland paid for its F35's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom