What's new

Replacement of Pakistan Army's G-3 Rifles.

which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
994655_660923020614181_694623067_n.jpg

Will enter the Service in Turkish Army in July 2014.

Pakistan Army is using POF delivered G-3 rifles. The weapon is actually from a rifle category, best suited for aimed shots. It has a longer range. but who needs long range now, and fire aimed shots. Also rifle is poor in kicking back on Shoulder. All over the world, Armies hav shifted to lower calibre: 5.56 mm. The advantages of 5.56 mm calibre over 7.62 mm (as in G-3) are:

1. Lower calibre means, lighter barrel: so lesser weight of the weapon.
2. Reduction in calibre means ammunition weight is reduced per round, so more bullets, may be carried. Thats why, mags for 5.56 calibres are 30 rounds mag instead of 20 rounds.

3. Lesser propellent in cartridge case, means low weapon recoil: thus better handling qualities.

4. Better handling qualities means, weapon is good in CQB (close quarter battles).

5. Pakistan Army is mostly fighting war in hilly region, where engagement ranges do not exceed 1500 meters. Thus '5.56' is ideally suited.

6. As weapon and its ammo is light weight, so soldier may carry weapons for longer duration, distances, causing less fatigue.

So i think, Pakistan should switch to 5.56 mm calibre.
My vote is for Colt M4 Carbine ( USA).

M4 Sir, in my opinion is something that is not only unaffordable in todays economy, unless we get license for indigenous production (which is again unlikely), M4 also needs to be meticiously cleaned and is unsuited for the NWA enviorment, US soldiers in Iqar and Afghanistan keeps backup AKs I believe, unlike the G3 and the AK which are known to need lesser mantainance, in my opinion AK 12 needs to be considered....

PA should also take a look at the Scar-H, it's been tested in Iraq and Afghanistan and a favorite among soldiers who have used them. It's relatively light weight, fires the 7.62x51mm NATO round, variants for CQC, snipers, and standard, multiple rails allowing the soldier to mount attachments i.e lasers, lights, optics, etc. It fires 625 r/min. It's a battle proven battle rifle and very powerful, can do serious damage and has an effective range of 650+ yards with standard barrel and 850+ yards with long barrel, that is adequate for most battlefield conditions and situations.

You guys should make your own variant of the AK platform!

G3 is a better rifle than any 5.56 rifles including M-16.

India made that mistake by dumping FAL in favor if smaller caliber INSAS.

They are learning their lesson now by asking for a multicaliber rifle. This is huge cost.

They are learning their lesson now by asking for a multicaliber rifle. This is huge cost.

Not necessarily, but in terms of stopping power the G3 is more powerful but that's because of the 7.62 round it fires not necessarily due to any mechanical nature of the gun. The assault rifle class like Aug A3 are arguably superior choices for many combat situations, not to mention the Aug A3 has extremely low recoil and is highly accurate, very good for engaging multiple targets at close and mid-range even at long ranges with the proper scope I would trust the Aug A3 over the G3.

G3's major weakness is it's heavy recoil and muzzle climb, it's noise could be another issue, these issues lead to inaccurate firing. Though G3 can be greatly improved using Acog, heavy barrel, ergo foregrip, and other attachments.

The most cheaper and readily available option is replacing it with G-3M aswell as G-3S

The most cheaper and readily available option is replacing it with G-3M aswell as G-3S

In that case no point in replacing, I would like to see POF manufacture their own version of the Scar-H, for all the reasons I mentioned above in my earlier post.

You guys should make your own variant of the AK platform!

Why when we can get NORINCO made SMG7.62 very affordable rates and we have our own POF made kit? Money should be spent on something more useful. G3S with the shorter 300mm barrel, and rail system is a good interim option.

There is a huge debate on 5.56 and 7.62... lets not go there... Main reason for dumping FAL was that it was impossible to fire it in auto mode.. it has a huge kick....

In that case no point in replacing, I would like to see POF manufacture their own version of the Scar-H, for all the reasons I mentioned above in my earlier post.

Good but again Pakistan will have to pay for the Scar H Local Manufacturing/Modifying to the original manufacturer,which certainly is not possible in this decade

Why not develop a 100% Pakistani Assault rifle?POF is a more than 60 years older firm with a base of atleast 80-100million dollars export each year.

They should have the capability of designing and than manufacturing a rifle with inputs from Pakistan army

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom