What's new

Rename iPad or pay up $1.66 bn: Chinese court

golmaal

Reaction score
Apple Inc suffered a setback in the Chinese market on Wednesday as a court rejected its lawsuit against a local company for alleged infringement of its iPad trademark, as a result of which it may have to sell the product under a new name in China or cough up $1.6 billion. Apple may have
to sell its popular iPad tablet computers under a new name in the Chinese mainland in future if it does not first purchase the trademark from a Chinese tech firm as a result of the verdict, official media reported Wednesday.

The Municipal Intermediate People's Court in Shenzhen, a southern Chinese city neighbouring Hong Kong, earlier this week rejected a lawsuit by Apple accusing Proview Technology (Shenzhen) of infringing on its iPad trademark.
Proview Technology (Shenzhen) is a subsidiary of Hong Kong-headquartered Proview International Holdings Limited, which also has a branch in Taipei.

Proview Taipei registered the 'iPad' trademark in a number of countries and regions as early as 2000 and Proview Shenzhen registered the trademark on the Chinese mainland in 2001, long before Apple launched its iPad tablet.
Apple bought the rights to use the trademark from Proview Taipei in 2009 with a payment of 35,000 pounds ($54,616).

However, Proview Shenzhen reserved the right to use the trademark on the Chinese mainland.
The two sides have been entangled in a legal battle ever since.
Proview Shenzhen, once a famous flat-panel display producer, is now on the brink of bankruptcy due to debts owed to banks in the wake of the global financial crisis.
Li Su, the president of Beijing-based Hejun Vanguard Group, a leading management consultancy firm, has been entrusted by banks to assume the post of "debt restructuring consultant" for Proview Shenzhen.

"Apple's actions are strange. They had not obtained the rights to use the 'iPad' trademark when they began to sell the iPad on the Chinese mainland in September last year," Huang Yiding of the Hejun Vanguard Group's public relations department was quoted by state-run Xinhua news agency as saying.
"Their copyright infringement is very clear. The laws are still there and they sell their products in defiance of laws. The more products they sell, the more they need to compensate," he said.
China, where a plethora of Apple products are assembled, is also a major market for iPhones and iPads.

Rename iPad or pay up $1.66 bn: Chinese court - Hindustan Times

:hitwall:

Well the case is clear.
Apple has broken rules and it should be made to pay and it will save the bankrupt company and banks.

I would say extortion Chinese style at its best. Time to ban Chinese fake goods worlwide. To many decent jobs are being lost to Chinese fake goods.

Ban chinese goods, you choke yourself to death - likes it or not, but that's one harsh reality. The Chinese literally owns the souls of Americans and Europe. They'll think 1000 times before taking such an initiative.

You, me and the world has got to live the Chinese age.

Apple is a well known for it's anti consumer shenanigans.
It is trying to prevent its competitors from selling their products suing them for the most ridiculous thing.
Such as the "feel" of a product.

As for extortion
get real man, this is the same capitalism you people have used as a weapon against the rest of the world.
Now the rest of the world is simply returning the favor.

Ban chinese goods, you choke yourself to death - likes it or not, but that's one harsh reality. The Chinese literally owns the souls of Americans and Europe. They'll think 1000 times before taking such an initiative.

You, me and the world has got to live the Chinese age.

I said ban fake Chinese goods not all Chinese goods in general.

Apple is a well known for it's anti consumer shenanigans.
It is trying to prevent its competitors from selling their products suing them for the most ridiculous thing.
Such as the "feel" of a product.

True.
Apple getting a taste of it's own medicine.

Better than extortion by the Chinese? Why can't you innovate and become better. Why this industrial scale mass copying?

lets see, thousands of years later and you are still using paper, gun powder, and the compass. All of which were invented by the Chinese. you have had a thousand years, so the real question is, why are you people not innovating??

They registered the name in 2000 in china. Those guys finally hit the jackpot. Apple needs to pay up to use the name.

lets see, thousands of years later and you are still using paper, gun powder, and the compass. All of which were invented by the Chinese. you have had a thousand years, so the real question is, why are you people not innovating??

than what is Ipad? Its the best innovation for a paperless society. China may still be using gun powder but we have moved on. look at the cheap copy of the MiG and SU you manufacture.

than what is Ipad? Its the best innovation for a paperless society. China may still be using gun powder but we have moved on. look at the cheap copy of the MiG and SU you manufacture.

Wow, I must have missed the memo about how no one is using paper anymore.
While just today I went out to buy some food and I gave the cashier some paper money (which was also invented by the Chinese)
When I was leaving I saw a poster, which was also printed on paper, it was advertising a book that, you guessed it, was also printed on paper

either you are living in some kind of apple induced hallucination, or you still didn't answer my question of why you people are still riding on Chinese technology even after a thousand years.

Take your own medicine and innovate, stop using Chinese technology of paper, gun powder, compass, and paper money.

Back
Top Bottom