What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAHORE – Even after the Raymond Davis episode exposed the presence of the US spy network actively operating in the terror-hit country, the United States on Tuesday categorically said they would not pull out any security contractor from Pakistan. “We have no plans to withdraw anybody. We are not withdrawing anybody,” said Courtney Beale, spokesperson at the US Embassy in Islamabad while talking to The Nation on Tuesday.
When asked whether the Pakistani government had contacted them to pull out private security contractors, she said they had not heard from the government on the issue.
To another question, she said the US Embassy officials were seriously considering defending Raymond Davis, facing multiple criminal charges, in a local court in Lahore. “Yes, we are looking into how best to represent him in the court,” Courtney added.
Sources said after losing all hopes and asserting pressure on the Pakistani political leaders for the release of Davis, the US had been left with no other option but to face the court to defend its national.
On the other hand, the federal government is preparing to push the United States to wrap up its spy network and withdraw hundreds of undercover agents, operating across the country as private security contractors to guard the US installations and interests.
The Interior and Foreign ministries are working together to find out ways to kick out the undercover agents from the country after properly scrutinising their visas and passports by defining their legal status.
The United Sates had hired hundreds of professionals like Davis from the US-based private security companies and they later were deployed in the major cities including Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad.
The government sources say these undercover US nationals are on visit visas in Pakistan.
According to the US media, the double murder accused Raymond Davis runs Hyperion Protective Consultants, LLC, a company that provides ‘loss and risk management professionals’.

US spy network exposed | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

No favour to American gunman, govt tells National Assembly

ISLAMABAD: Responding to a lingering concern among opposition circles over the circumstances of a deadly shootout in Lahore last week involving a US mission employee, the government told the National Assembly on Tuesday it would do no favour to the arrested American and proceed according to Pakistani law.

The reassurance from Information and Broadcasting Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira came after an opposition member sought clarifications over issues such as the status and nature of work of the American, Raymond Davis, who allegedly shot dead two Pakistani motorcyclists who he says were pursuing him for an attack on a road in Lahore on Thursday while a third Pakistani man was run over and killed by another vehicle that appeared on the scene at the time.

Earlier the house passed an opposition member’s private bill to provide for a parliamentary oversight of the privatisation of public sector enterprises with the inclusion of four parliament members in the Privatisation Commission Board after some sparks of anger over the absence of law and parliamentary affairs minister from the house that kept a private bill of a member of the ruling PPP seeking higher punishment for acid-throwing on women from being taken up for the second consecutive private member’s day of the present session.

“Your concern is the whole nation’s concern,” Mr Kaira said after a PML-N member of the house from Lahore, Khawaja Saad Raifque, raised the issue of the Lahore shooting, accusing the government of showing “one face to the nation and another to foreigners” and failing to clarify the status of the American who he said — quoting “our information” — was “doing some secret job” in the US Consulate-General in Lahore.

Mr Kaira said statements already made by President Asif Ali Zardari to an American Congress delegation on Sunday and by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani elsewhere about the government’s position to let the law take its course should have been enough to satisfy sceptics, and urged lawmakers to wait for the result of investigation by the police of the Punjab province, which is ruled by the PML-N.Yet he said: “We are with you on this issue, rather one step ahead. There will be no favour shown to him and (relevant) law will be acted upon.”But two more opposition members, Dr Atiya Inayatullah of the opposition PML-Q and Sahibzada Mohammad Fazal-i-Karim of PML-N did not seem satisfied while Mr Rafique came back on the issue, prompting Mr Kaira to make a second appeal to them to wait for the investigation’s result before the house was adjourned until 10am on Wednesday.

The PPP’s Fakhar-un-Nisa Khokher, a former judge of the Lahore High Court, seemed taking a revenge on Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Babar Awan as she forced a suspension of the house for lack of quorum after finding out that her bill seeking higher punishment for acid-throwing on women, which was on the top of the day’s legislative agenda, would not be taken up due to the minister’s absence.

Ms Khokher pointed out the lack of the required quorum of 86 members, or one-fourth of the 342-seat house, and insisted on a head count, ignoring pleas from Petroleum and Natural Resouces Minister Naveed Qamar and Speaker Fehmida Mirza to follow the general practice of not raising the quorum question on a private members’ day.

No favour to American gunman, govt tells NA | DAWN.COM | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia

I live in the US and respect the law of the land. I have met several diplomats in the past and none of them carry weapons. There were Pakistani soldiers training at a US Base and after training hours they did not even carry firearms and these are military personnel.

In the U.S. we do not have suicide bombers, and insurgents actively targeting Pakistani soldiers or it's diplomats.

In Pakistan when U.S. Special Forces soldiers go out on missions with the Army or Frontier Corp they are armed. Though they are not allowed to actively participate in combat they are allowed to defend themselves if attacked.

In the U.S. we do not have suicide bombers, and insurgents actively targeting Pakistani soldiers or it's diplomats.

In Pakistan when U.S. Special Forces soldiers go out on missions with the Army or Frontier Corp they are armed. Though they are not allowed to actively participate in combat they are allowed to defend themselves if attacked.

n the U.S. we do not have suicide bombers, and insurgents actively targeting Pakistani soldiers or it's diplomats.

No.. But you do have your fair share of retards:
thank-god1.bmp

As are the MSG within the embassies and as are the BDS Diplomatic Agents who accompany DOD and US Diplomats, but their case is different from that of Mr. Davis, because they have permission.

Believe it or not, every time US agents traveled to Marriott in Islamabad they provided a detailed list of guys who would be "carrying" and what weapons they would be carrying... I saw these lists on numerous occasions when doing EVAs there for our government.

The difference between them and Ray... They are "allowed" to carry weapons by the Ministry of Interior and carry special permits for a specific route:i.e. from Diplomatic Enclave via Constitution Ave to Aga Khan Road and Marriott Hotel.

Ray had no such permit. He had not communicated with our DPD that he was carrying. The RSO has labelled that part of lahore OFF Limits to US Officials.

In Pakistan when U.S. Special Forces soldiers go out on missions with the Army or Frontier Corp they are armed.

Incorrect they are present in an advisory capacity and do not actively participate in missions, they are only in Pakistan for "capacity development" and not to provide support i.e.: Columbia.

Furthermore i need to just throw it out there, that the's world's foremost expert on EOD is a Pakistani working in Islamabad Police and is a very respected member of IABTI .

Incorrect they are present in an advisory capacity and do not actively participate in missions, they are only in Pakistan for "capacity development" and not to provide support i.e.: Columbia.

I have an aversion to posting actual documents marked secret. so I am not posting the wikileaks document on the matter. Here is a website that reported on it.

US Special Forces teams deployed with Pakistani Army - The Long War Journal

Over the past year, US special operations forces teams have deployed with the Pakistani Army to serve in a combat support role.

Small teams from the US Special Operations Command have deployed with Pakistani Army headquarters units in the Taliban-controlled tribal agencies of Bajaur and North and South Waziristan "to provide intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) support and general operational advice" for ongoing combat operations. The presence of three such teams have been detected over the past year.

The deployment of US special operations forces was disclosed in the US State Department cables leaked by WikiLeaks. The cable, which is dated Oct. 9, 2009, was written by Anne Patterson, then the US Ambassador to Pakistan.

The deployment of the first team was to the tribal agency of Bajaur, where the Pakistani military has twice declared victory against Taliban forces under the command of Faqir Mohammed. The Pakistani Army first claimed a total Taliban defeat in March 2008, and did so again in March 2009.

"The Pakistani Army has for just the second time approved deployment of U.S. special operation elements to support Pakistani military operations," Patterson wrote. "The first deployment, with SOC(FWD)-PAK [Special Operations Command Forward, Pakistan] elements embedded with the Frontier Corps in Bajaur Agency, occurred in September."

The deployment of a special operations team "provided ISR [intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance] for an FC [Frontier Corps] operation. This support was highly successful, enabling the FC to execute a precise and effective artillery strike on an enemy location."

In early October, the Pakistan Army General Headquarters again requested the deployment of teams to North and South Waziristan "in order to provide intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) support and general operational advice" to 11 Corps. "SOC(FWD)-PAK support to 11 Corps would be at the [location redacted] and would include a live downlink of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) full motion video."

The Pakistani request for US special operations teams occurred just two weeks before the Pakistani Army launched its military offensive against the Taliban under the command of al Qaeda allies Hakeemullah and Waliur Rahman Mehsud in the Mehsud tribal areas in the eastern region of South Waziristan. The Pakistani Army did not advance on al Qaeda and Taliban havens in the Wazir areas in South Waziristan and has continued to rebuff US pressure to move into North Waziristan, which is considered the headquarters of al Qaeda's global operations.

Ambassador Patterson's cable highlights the limited role the US military has played in Pakistan.

"U.S. special operation elements have been in Pakistan for more than a year, but were largely limited to a training role," she wrote. "The Pakistani Army leadership previously adamantly opposed letting us embed U.S. Special Operations Forces (SOF) with their military forces to support their operations."

The presence of US special operations forces in northwestern Pakistan was confirmed in February 2010 when three US soldiers were killed in a suicide attack in the settled district of Dir, just north of Bajaur. The US embassy in Islamabad insisted the three US soldiers were providing training and assistance to the Pakistan Frontier Corps.

The deployment of US military teams in support of military operations was cause for optimism, and "appears to represent a sea change in Pakistani thinking," Patterson stated. "Patient relationship-building with the military is the key factor that has brought us to this point."

But Patterson warned that disclosure of the deployment of US ground teams would jeopardize future cooperation.

"These deployments are highly politically sensitive because of widely-held concerns among the public about Pakistani sovereignty and opposition to allowing foreign military forces to operate in any fashion on Pakistani soil," Patterson said. "Should these developments and/or related matters receive any coverage in the Pakistani or US media, the Pakistani military will likely stop making requests for such assistance."

I agree with your tone, which is that blame is a cheap commodity and a little goes a long way.

Pakistanis I know, past and current, are brave allies. US miliary I know today are likewise brave and solid.

Terrorism has struck both here at home, staring in 1993 with the failed first attack on the Twin Trade Towers and over there, too, with an awful number of suicide bombings and other terrorist events against so very many innocent Pakistani men, women, and children in major metro areas all over, not limited to the northern areas alone of Pakistan.

Lawlessness is especially bad today in Pakistan per my very good friends here in my USA home town who still keep a home in Karachi as well as being US citizens here, with solid businesses they own and operate here now, too.

We are all victums.

Glad to know you are a good citizen in the USA.

Question: What languages, obviously other than English, are you proficient in?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have an aversion to posting actual documents marked secret. so I am not posting the wikileaks document on the matter. Here is a website that reported on it.

US Special Forces teams deployed with Pakistani Army - The Long War Journal

Over the past year, US special operations forces teams have deployed with the Pakistani Army to serve in a combat support role.

Small teams from the US Special Operations Command have deployed with Pakistani Army headquarters units in the Taliban-controlled tribal agencies of Bajaur and North and South Waziristan "to provide intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) support and general operational advice" for ongoing combat operations. The presence of three such teams have been detected over the past year.

The deployment of US special operations forces was disclosed in the US State Department cables leaked by WikiLeaks. The cable, which is dated Oct. 9, 2009, was written by Anne Patterson, then the US Ambassador to Pakistan.

The deployment of the first team was to the tribal agency of Bajaur, where the Pakistani military has twice declared victory against Taliban forces under the command of Faqir Mohammed. The Pakistani Army first claimed a total Taliban defeat in March 2008, and did so again in March 2009.

"The Pakistani Army has for just the second time approved deployment of U.S. special operation elements to support Pakistani military operations," Patterson wrote. "The first deployment, with SOC(FWD)-PAK [Special Operations Command Forward, Pakistan] elements embedded with the Frontier Corps in Bajaur Agency, occurred in September."

The deployment of a special operations team "provided ISR [intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance] for an FC [Frontier Corps] operation. This support was highly successful, enabling the FC to execute a precise and effective artillery strike on an enemy location."

In early October, the Pakistan Army General Headquarters again requested the deployment of teams to North and South Waziristan "in order to provide intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) support and general operational advice" to 11 Corps. "SOC(FWD)-PAK support to 11 Corps would be at the [location redacted] and would include a live downlink of unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) full motion video."

The Pakistani request for US special operations teams occurred just two weeks before the Pakistani Army launched its military offensive against the Taliban under the command of al Qaeda allies Hakeemullah and Waliur Rahman Mehsud in the Mehsud tribal areas in the eastern region of South Waziristan. The Pakistani Army did not advance on al Qaeda and Taliban havens in the Wazir areas in South Waziristan and has continued to rebuff US pressure to move into North Waziristan, which is considered the headquarters of al Qaeda's global operations.

Ambassador Patterson's cable highlights the limited role the US military has played in Pakistan.

"U.S. special operation elements have been in Pakistan for more than a year, but were largely limited to a training role," she wrote. "The Pakistani Army leadership previously adamantly opposed letting us embed U.S. Special Operations Forces (SOF) with their military forces to support their operations."

The presence of US special operations forces in northwestern Pakistan was confirmed in February 2010 when three US soldiers were killed in a suicide attack in the settled district of Dir, just north of Bajaur. The US embassy in Islamabad insisted the three US soldiers were providing training and assistance to the Pakistan Frontier Corps.

The deployment of US military teams in support of military operations was cause for optimism, and "appears to represent a sea change in Pakistani thinking," Patterson stated. "Patient relationship-building with the military is the key factor that has brought us to this point."

But Patterson warned that disclosure of the deployment of US ground teams would jeopardize future cooperation.

"These deployments are highly politically sensitive because of widely-held concerns among the public about Pakistani sovereignty and opposition to allowing foreign military forces to operate in any fashion on Pakistani soil," Patterson said. "Should these developments and/or related matters receive any coverage in the Pakistani or US media, the Pakistani military will likely stop making requests for such assistance."

Exactly:
intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance
That is capacity development, a capacity Pakistani assets lack and the US partners provide.

Sorry Thomas i know what your saying but trust me, i can say this with surety that the US will not be allowed to enter a combat role in Pakistan because of the backlash within the GHQ.

That being said, i actually welcome closer cooperation with the US on capacity development.

Sorry sir but this post is pointless... With all due respect to your age and polite nature.

Kindly sir, shall we please stick to discussing the facts of the case relating to Mr. Steve/Ray Allen Davis.

Greatly Appreciated.

We disagree again here.

The style and character of roundabout traffic in Lahore and elsewhere is germaine, as is the uniqueness of having animals involved in traffic over there, both camels and water buffaloes.

We are discussing two very different styles of society, both prefectly good in their own right, with different value systems in several instances.

If folks had stuck to the facts literally we would not have had this long drawn out thread full of absurdities. But, freedom of speech and all that.

Exactly:

That is capacity development, a capacity Pakistani assets lack and the US partners provide.

Sorry Thomas i know what your saying but trust me, i can say this with surety that the US will not be allowed to enter a combat role in Pakistan because of the backlash within the GHQ.

That being said, i actually welcome closer cooperation with the US on capacity development.

did I not say originally they are not allowed to actually engage in combat? They do carry weapons for personal protection if attacked.

U.S. Forces Step Up Presence in Pakistan - WSJ.com

"The U.S. troops are allowed to defend themselves and return fire if attacked."

We disagree again here.

The style and character of roundabout traffic in Lahore and elsewhere
is germaine, as is the uniqueness of having animals involved in traffic over there, both camels and water buffaloes.

We are discussing two very different styles of society, both prefectly good in their own right, with different value systems in several instances.

If folks had stuck to the facts literally we would not have had this long drawn out thread full of absurdities. But, freedom of speech and all that.

Point taken.

LHC orders placing Davis on ECL

Feb 02, 2011

F.P. Lahore Office LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Tuesday ordered to place the name of Raymond Davis, who allegedly killed two Pakistanis last week, on the Exit Control List (ECL).

The court also sought report from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs till February 17 in this regard. LHC Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry passed the orders on four identical petitions against possible handing over of Raymond Davis to the United States (US). Deputy Attorney General Naveed Inayet Malik submitted a report on behalf of the Secretary Interior saying that an advice had been sought from the Foreign Ministry to clarify whether accused Raymond Davis was an employee of the US Embassy and enjoyed diplomatic status or not.
The DAG requested the court to grant further time for the report from the Foreign Ministry.

Advocate General Punjab Khawaja Harris submitted that the matter of enjoying diplomatic status by the accused had neither arisen so far nor had been claimed on behalf of the accused. Both the law officers denied the allegation that the accused would be extradited. They also said that the government was not under pressure from any quarter whatsoever on the matter. After hearing arguments and going through the report by the Secretary Interior, the Chief Justice observed that apparently the petitioners had brought genuine grievances before the court. The court asked the DAG to get report from the Foreign Ministry and present it before the court till Feb 17, next date of hearing.

The court also directed the DAG to ensure that the name of Raymond Davis was placed on ECL. The court was hearing petitions filed by Asif Hussain, Muhammad Asghar, Ahmad Masood Gujjar and Iqbal Jafferi. The petitioners' counsels submitted before the court that Raymond Davis killed two Pakistanis with criminal intentions at Mozang Chungi, Lahore, whereas another innocent citizen was crushed to death by American Consulate security personnel van that came to rescue the accused. They contended that according to the Diplomatic Convention of 1961 and Vienna Convention the attache level officials and technical staff in any foreign mission were not supposed to enjoy any immunity from the law. They further contended that a bare persual of provisions of Section 24 to 29 of Vienna Convention reveal that if any ambassador, consular or other working staff on any diplomatic assignment is found involved in any serious criminal activity, the country, he belongs, could withdraw his immunity. The counsels further contended that American constitution also allows the courts of country where the assignee commit any crime to proceed against him under the prevalent provisions of law. They further submitted that they had strong apprehension that the accused might be handed over to the US. They contended that the federation had no discretion in the matter to hand over the accused to other country without trial. They prayed the court to restrain handing over and shifting of the accused outside the Jurisdiction of the court till the final disposal of criminal cases registered against him. They also requested the court to direct the federal government to place the name of the accused person in Exit Control List (ECL) and order an independent judicial inquiry of the incident. "I am restraining him (from being handed over to US authorities). Whether he has or does not have (diplomatic) immunity will be decided by the court," ruled Lahore high court chief justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry. "An order is issued to put his name on the ECL (exit control list). The case is adjourned for 15 days." Khaja Haris, the advocate general of Punjab - the chief law officer in the province where Davis shot the motorcyclists - told the court that the Vienna Convention provides immunity to diplomats "within certain limits." "The federal government has to give a certificate on whether the man has diplomatic immunity or not and whether his diplomatic status is confirmed or not," Haris said. "What we hear about him and his immunity is through the press only. Since he is involved in a grave crime, this issue has to be decided by the court."

The Frontier Post

Guys something really is cooking up there among the diaspora of Govt. goons.

Dy Prosecutor General resigns

LAHORE (INP): Deputy Prosecutor General Punjab Rana Bakhtiar resigned on Tuesday after he was separated from the Raymond Davis case apparently for his blunt assertions on the issue. Deputy Prosecutor General Punjab Rana Bakhtiar while talking to media on the occasion of Raymond’s trial had stated that Raymond Davis was not a US diplomat and therefore does not enjoy immunity and his act was not in self-defense. According to the sources, Additional Prosecutor General Abdul Samad has been appointed as official counsel in Raymond Davis case. According to sources, Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah took serious notice of his statements and ordered the Prosecution Department to stop issuing such statements Bakhtiar told media that he gave the statement in accordance with the law and available record, adding that he tendered his resignation over his dismissal from the Raymond Davis case.

http://www.thefrontierpost.com/News.aspx?ncat=ts&nid=1717

Here again folks are making up misinformation maliciously.

Raymond Allen Davis has been identifed by the US Ambassador to Pakistan and the US Department of State.

Someone apparently with limited reading skills has misread the name as it appeared in a newspaper article arranged as follows:

Now the topic was and remains that Raymond Allen Davis has Diplomatic Immunity as explained in detail by the US Ambassador to Pakistan, and further vouched for by the US Department of State in Washington.

Anthing anyone wants done further comes after, not before, granting Diplomatic Immunity. Diplomatic Immunity is a fact as claimed by the US officially in this matter wherein a US diplomat was put upon by robbers who threatened his life with their weapons unsuccessfully, after having just earlier same day in same Lahore neighborhood having successfully robber a Pakistani gentleman.

The first issue at law is Diplomatic Immunity. That is it.

God Bless America and Pakistan Zindabad.

Davis hasn't diplomatic immunity as declared by Ministry of foreign affairs Pakistan on 29th January 2011.

Vouched by US DOS doesn't mean assured & accepted by GOP.
He didn't went ATM & nobody want to kill him. There is no need to add here. He did crime and will face law. That is it

Here is the Police Report naming the two Pakistani doctors whose money and cell phone were stolen by the two robbers. It is time to wait for the implementation of Diplomatic Immunity and get past false attempts to misdescribe a failed armed robbery.

Both the guns, two, recovered one each from the robbers, unlicensed firearms, and the cell phones stolen from the two Pakistani gentlemen are evidence against the two robbers. The cell phones are in fact found to be those of the two doctors the two robbers had just "stuck up" before their failed stick up attempt on American Diplomat Raymond Allen Davis.

Lytton Road military pronounced they had perceived dual complaints opposite Faizan & Faheem for attempted robberies upon Friday. They pronounced the complainants were Doctor Mudassar & Sheharyar, who pronounced Faizan & Faheem had snatched their mobile phones & money at gun indicate from Mozang & LOS areas, respectively, in between 1:15pm & 1:30pm upon Friday. Both complainants claimed which they did not surprise the military at the time of the incidents since they were panicked.

They pronounced which they identified the “robbers” after saying them upon TV. However, Faizan & Faheem’s brothers deserted the allegations leveled by the complainants. Faizan’s hermit pronounced military was conspiring to assist the American, alleging which his hermit was carrying the pistol’s looseness in his pocket, which military had taken in to control usually to infer which the arms was unlicenced.

Faheem’s hermit pronounced the usually probability to save the American was to acknowledgement his hermit a pirate & military was doing all to assist the American. On the alternative palm the family groups of Faizan Haider & Faheem Shamshad, the dual boys killed by Davis, claimed which the military was dire them to repel the cases. The military have beefed up confidence in & around the US Consulate in sequence to forestall any unfavourable incident.

Time to implement Diplomatic Immunity and separately complete the crimes committed by the two robbers there in Lahore on the same day, same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom