What's new

Any regular swimmers ?

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Any good articles / video regarding hand and hips movements in free style would be helpful

I need to learn the basic free style after that will adopt the style/intensity which is exercise intensive

ty

I tried to learn swimming 4 times but got some injury or ear infection. 5th time is the charm:-)

I heard from @SvenSvensonov that the US Navy has a way of teaching people to swim that's kind of fun.

You'll be asked, "can you swim?"

Yes - line 1. We're done here.
No - line 2. We'll teach you how.

Sven told me that during his basic one guy said he wasn't sure if he could or not... he was pushed into a pool and quickly learned how to swim:partay:. Survival instincts are funny that way.

On a more serious note, try asking @Technogaianist she's an avid swimmer.

I tried to learn swimming 4 times but got some injury or ear infection. 5th time is the charm:-)
Where did you go wrong? I can dive better than I swim....I panic in water so cant float but since I actually went to swimming classes until my teacher got fed up with my sis and I who couldnt float she taught us the kicks...so I just do that ...ermmm under water like diving but with kicks (Breast stroke, freestyle and butterfly- the most useless while diving) - not strong enough to surface - not that I can :unsure:

Where did you go wrong? I can dive better than I swim....I panic in water so cant float but since I actually went to swimming classes until my teacher got fed up with my sis and I who couldnt float she taught us the kicks...so I just do that ...ermmm under water like diving but with kicks (Breast stroke, freestyle and butterfly- the most useless while diving) - not strong enough to surface - not that I can :unsure:

as a kid my head hit the concrete and i vomited.. that was it

as an adult, got an ear infection and severe ear drum pain etc -- after that, i tried once again, got the membership but my job routine changed and couldnt go in the specified mens time

i am going now to learn it as a life saving tool.. and perhaps to get six pack abs :-)

looks like i am having a bad influence on you

I watched the videos of Nathan Adrian. The breathing while swimming and back/hips streamline position is tricky me thinks

Do you know how to swim normal,dont know the name but like a frog,also on your back?

breaststroke?

hand movements made me out of balance when i tried to learn the previous time.. maybe i twisted my body too much-- this time i want to know the basics beforehand -- the instructors were very busy in the past 2 venues where i had gotten membership as an adult

hand movements made me out of balance when i tried to learn the previous time.. maybe i twisted my body too much-- this time i want to know the basics beforehand -- the instructors were very busy in the past 2 venues where i had gotten membership as an adult
Start with the frog like and then on your back(if you skip this,you wont be a good swimmer),after that its easy to learn freestyle.
Here in the Netherlands it was mandatory to have A,B and C(level) at the elementary school,after that it was up to you if you wanted to go further,i also did Rescue swimming after the ABC.
Turkiye is surrounded by water,has many rivers and lakes but many kids drown because they cant properly swim or learned by themselves(the wrong way),so its important to learn from professionals or at ''swimmingschools''.

as a kid my head hit the concrete and i vomited.. that was it

as an adult, got an ear infection and severe ear drum pain etc -- after that, i tried once again, got the membership but my job routine changed and couldnt go in the specified mens time
Well...as a kid I swam off to the deep part and panicked...Nearly drowned my sis who was also taking lessons came to rescue me but I was soo panicked I nearly drowned her too...

The lifegaurd was confused at a short girl screaming for life in a pool he can just stand without worrying :unsure:

After that incident, I could never float ...But by that time I had already learned my strokes so after that when I went into the pool and sank....I just used the strokes under water pretending I am on a diving expedition...Kind of thought myself to swim like a dolphin twisting around to move (Dont think that is a stroke but just what divers do....my instincts thought me like that coz it was easier than moving my arms and all which are useless in diving)

i am going now to learn it as a life saving tool.. and perhaps to get six pack abs :-)
Good luck....What my instructor did was asked us to hold the side and literally buried our faces in water ....I guess instinct does make you kick then she just guided our legs....since we were kids we were easier to handle...

looks like i am having a bad influence on you
:rofl: naa I have my naughty side :angel:

The breathing while swimming and back/hips streamline position is tricky me thinks
Yea I have weak lungs so the breathing part was tricky maybe that is also why I dont float well :unsure:

breaststroke?
Another thing our teacher taught us was roll up in a ball (that was to teach us to float coz the body naturally comes to the top when you dont panic) yea the min I was up and uncurled I sank like a log :cray:

@BDforever :wave: saw you mentioned me on the other thread...Do you swim bro?

Try laying on your back in the water,you will float,dont be scared.

dont be scared.
Easier said than done...

You see As if that nearly drowning experience wasnt enough my sisters showed me x-files and 1 of the episode had this alien from the water...took me a long time to use the toilet without locking it! :ashamed:

Easier said than done...

You see As if that nearly drowning experience wasnt enough my sisters showed me x-files and 1 of the episode had this alien from the water...took me a long time to use the toilet without locking it! :ashamed:
Your teacher was not good enough,i blame her for your fear of water.:tsk::tsk::tsk:

Your teacher was not good enough,i blame her for your fear of water.:tsk::tsk::tsk:
Not really.....She taught me the kicks ...I learned them fast and was practicing I just ventured into the deep pool a little too fast and when I tried to put my feet down and couldnt touch the floor of the pool...I panicked and nearly drowned drinking lots of that pee chlorinated water.... In a way she was successful coz I know my kicks...But I cant float any more coz of that experience more psychology than anything practical :cray:

And then X-files ruined my whole relationship with water :blink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom