What's new

Rabindranath Tagore: The poet of two countries

It's the duality of identity of Rabindranath Thakur as Bangladeshis see, the "Bengali Rabindranath" vs the "Hindu Rabindranath" that creates all the confusions, doubts, indecision, suspicions, contradictions, conflicts, & crisis in Bangladeshis' minds, :D it is the same confusion they have about their national identity, i.e., 'Bangla'desh vs "Islamic Bangladesh"..!!

Rabindranath Thakur and his legacy is for all Indians to share including @Nilgiri , one doesn't need to be a Bengali for that, just like the way Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam and his legacy is for all Indians to share.

An Indian may not know Bengali or read Rabindranath Thakur's books in Bengali, but many more Indians don't know rocket science either. :)
No but Kalam's rocket science has an impact on every single Indian...because of the economic and military effects of Kalam's work....unless you read Rabindranath he is pointless to you(like some of my compatriots here have already proven)

Al zakir said he is Kashmiri....you trying to defend him as a Bengali while he himself says he's not is quite sad. I do not claim to be the spokesperson for BD....but I have atleast half a brain to know that to have an opinion about who Bengalis in Bangladesh should like or dislike from a cultural point of view requires one to if not be a Bengali atleast have good command over the language and the culture....a Kashmiri living in the US is exactly not that.
It has nothing to do with inferiority complex....Jews are famously one of the most targeted communities in the world...they get a lot of UNWANTED attention....my comment was a sarcastic comparison of the fact that we are getting unwanted attention from outsiders....where were these turks and brits to point out the blatant barbarity of paksitan in 71?I am proud of the fact that a barbarian has been hanged and nothing can bring more joy than to see hypocrites crying over it.

Al Zakir is a Sylheti lol. I've conversed with him many times in Sylheti. You may have misunderstood his claim as a Kashmiri.

Rabrindranath has no relevance to the socio political or cultural context of BD, he rarely spoke about the problems in a Bengali Muslim society, so why should he be of any relevance? India can take him for all we care. As Luffy said,
There are Kashmiris in Bangladesh too?

No but the Nawabs of BD were of Kashmiri origin, most of them live in western countries now and some of them still in BD and Pakistan (Residences in Karachi) but they have a website which shows the whole family tree and a profile of each person up to today. Many Muslims in BD are of Kashmiri extraction too.

However Kashmiris and Kashmir is not relevant here one of the posters though Al Zakir was a Kashmiri.

Rabrindranath has no relevance to the socio political or cultural context of BD, he rarely spoke about the problems in a Bengali Muslim society, so why should he be of any relevance? India can take him for all we care. As Luffy said,

No but the Nawabs of BD were of Kashmiri origin, most of them live in western countries now and some of them still in BD and Pakistan (Residences in Karachi) but they have a website which shows the whole family tree and a profile of each person up to today. Many Muslims in BD are of Kashmiri extraction too.

However Kashmiris and Kashmir is not relevant here one of the posters though Al Zakir was a Kashmiri.

Fascinating for me as a Kashmiri.

What are their surnames typically? And their facial features/appearance?

Fascinating for me as a Kashmiri.

What are their surnames typically? And their facial features/appearance?

Surnames usually Khwaja, for example, Khawaja Nazimuddin was the late prime minister of Pakistan, he can trace back of dhaka nawab family.

Sher-E-Bangla A K Fazlul Huq with Rabindranath
sher-e-bangla.jpg

390_001.jpg

Last edited:
No but Kalam's rocket science has an impact on every single Indian...because of the economic and military effects of Kalam's work....unless you read Rabindranath he is pointless to you(like some of my compatriots here have already proven)

Then take the example of grandmaster Vishwanathan Anand, not many people understand the game, let alone actually watching it on tv. What matters most is their achievements and the glory they bring to the country. Besides, I am sure not many Bangladeshis actually read Tagore outside textbooks. :)

Then take the example of grandmaster Vishwanathan Anand, not many people understand the game, let alone actually watching it on tv. What matters most is their achievements and the glory they bring to the country. Besides, I am sure not many Bangladeshis actually read Tagore outside textbooks. :)

Plenty of them here are responding that Tagore has nothing to do with Bangladesh etc.

A split personality disorder in our neighbour.

Funny you should bring up Anand, I have watched and enjoyed many of his games.

Nobody other than West Bengali hindus and some Bengali Muslim too made a poet as their God.

Listen to this poem from a far bigger poet yet nobody made him a God. I wonder when we Bengalis will grow up??

Nobody other than West Bengali hindus and some Bengali Muslim too made a poet as their God.

Listen to this poem from a far bigger poet yet nobody made him a God. I wonder when we Bengalis will grow up??

'God"!! That is a massive exaggeration!!

Romi, sheikh Saadi, Iqbal, hafiz and other muslim writer's work should be incorporated to Bangla literature.

1.Tagore was an aristocrat and a feudal. He and his family had left Hinduism to form Brahmo Samaj. As such Tagore was unpopular with the progressive elements as well as conservative Hindu society. Before getting the Nobel he and his drama group were practically boycotted by the Calcutta society.
2.Faced with demands of independence, the British chose to patronize Tagore for the same reasons that they had catapulted MK Gandhi into Indian politics from oblivion in S Africa. A poem of Tagore was translated by poet laureate of England, Yeats for acceptance by the Award Committee. There were protests in intellectual world pointing out that Allama Iqbal was more deserving. Kazi Nazrul in Bengal was another poet writing for the people in the language they understood. But both Iqbal and Nazrul were Muslim and sang about Pan Islamic revival. Both spoke of ousting the imperialists and free the country, the society and the individual. Nazrl was in fact jailed for encouraging revolution to oust the British.
3.Tagore's writings and thoughts are for universal love and peace, etc. This is what the imperialists wanted to hear.
During the tenure of CPM under Jyoti Basu Tagore was unofficially boycotted. The progressives did not eye Tagore kindly for his feudal origin and pursuits. Tagore's poems can only be understood by those who have studied the Bengali language at a higher level. The common man doesn't understand what he says. He viewed the Muslim merely as his serf who tilled his land to earn for him. When the Nawab of Dhaka had convinced the Gov of Bengal about establishing DU, Tagore was in the forefront of the Hindu syndicate opposing. When the files reached Delhi, it is on record that Tagore traveled seventeen times to argue with the Viceroy to reject the proposal. He argued that if the Muslims were educated he will have shortage of labor in his farmland. The Viceroy had to accede under such tremendous pressure and sent the file to London recommending rejection. However, the Colonial Office turned down the Viceroy and DU was established.
4. In fact Tagore's poems have been adopted as national anthem not only by India and BD but SL also. Never-the-less the background leading to penning these is humiliating to a free people.

1.Tagore was an aristocrat and a feudal. He and his family had left Hinduism to form Brahmo Samaj. As such Tagore was unpopular with the progressive elements as well as conservative Hindu society. Before getting the Nobel he and his drama group were practically boycotted by the Calcutta society.
2.Faced with demands of independence, the British chose to patronize Tagore for the same reasons that they had catapulted MK Gandhi into Indian politics from oblivion in S Africa. A poem of Tagore was translated by poet laureate of England, Yeats for acceptance by the Award Committee. There were protests in intellectual world pointing out that Allama Iqbal was more deserving. Kazi Nazrul in Bengal was another poet writing for the people in the language they understood. But both Iqbal and Nazrul were Muslim and sang about Pan Islamic revival. Both spoke of ousting the imperialists and free the country, the society and the individual. Nazrl was in fact jailed for encouraging revolution to oust the British.
3.Tagore's writings and thoughts are for universal love and peace, etc. This is what the imperialists wanted to hear.
During the tenure of CPM under Jyoti Basu Tagore was unofficially boycotted. The progressives did not eye Tagore kindly for his feudal origin and pursuits. Tagore's poems can only be understood by those who have studied the Bengali language at a higher level. The common man doesn't understand what he says. He viewed the Muslim merely as his serf who tilled his land to earn for him. When the Nawab of Dhaka had convinced the Gov of Bengal about establishing DU, Tagore was in the forefront of the Hindu syndicate opposing. When the files reached Delhi, it is on record that Tagore traveled seventeen times to argue with the Viceroy to reject the proposal. He argued that if
4. In fact Tagore's poems have been adopted as national anthem not only by India and BD but SL also. Never-the-less the background leading to penning these is humiliating to a free people.

I've always question our competency as how committed we are to our religon and culture. Are we that dumb of people that we adopted a song written by a Hindu and Indian. This neither represent our people nor culture. As a matter of fact it directly contradict with our Imaan. Tell if I'm am wrong.

Did we or do we not have one writer who can write something for us that truley represent our people, land and culture. How much longer we will have to enslaved by imposed Hindu culture imported by Islamic named mushriqeen.

Last edited:
Plenty of them here are responding that Tagore has nothing to do with Bangladesh etc.

A split personality disorder in our neighbour.

Funny you should bring up Anand, I have watched and enjoyed many of his games.

If Bangladeshis feel like they have no connection to Rabrindanath then it's simple as that. He shouldn't have been made part of us in the first place.
I've always question our competency as how committed are we to our religon and culture. Are we that dumb of people that we adopted a song written by a Hindu and India. This neither represent has as people or culture. As a matter of fact it directly contradict with our Imaan. Tell I'm am wrong.You

Did we or do we not have one writer who can write something for us that truley represent our people, land and culture. How much longer we will have to enslaved by imposed Hindu culture imported by Islamic named mushriqeen.

Your not wrong bro, it's a sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom