What's new

Queen Rania: Let's Drop The First 'I' In ISIS. There's Nothing Islamic About Them

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Kathleen Miles

LONDON -- Queen Rania of Jordan said Thursday evening that there is nothing Islamic about the self-proclaimed Islamic State, or ISIS.

She was speaking with Huffington Post Editor-In-Chief Arianna Huffington as a part of The WorldPost Future of Work Conference. “I would love to drop the first ‘I’ in ISIS because there’s nothing Islamic about them," Queen Rania said, prompting applause from the audience.

"They have nothing to do with faith and everything to do with fanaticism,” she said. “I think as an international community, we would do well to not focus on the religious character of that group because when we do, we give them undeserved legitimacy.”

ISIS wants to be called Islamic … because any action against them will automatically be called a war against Islam, which is exactly what they want it to be,” she said. “They want it to be the West coming against Islam because it will help them with their recruiting.

Instead, Queen Rania said, the war against ISIS must be led by Muslims and Arabs, with the international community in a supporting role. And part of that war is countering ISIS’s messaging online and on social media with content by the Muslim and Arab community, especially the youth, she said. “We can’t let [ISIS] hijack our identity and brand us in the way that they want. We have to write our own narrative.”

“What the extremists want is to divide our world along fault lines of religion and culture, and so a lot of people in the West may have stereotypes against Arabs and Muslims,” she said. “But really this fight is a fight between the civilized world and a bunch of crazy people who want to take us back to medieval times. Once we see it that way, we realize that this is about all of us coming together to defend our way of life.”

Queen Rania said she thought there are different reasons people join ISIS, including desire for a sense of belonging, for adventure, for a job and/or for the religious rhetoric. She said she sees it as a pyramid:

At the top of the pyramid are those who actually generate that ideology, and I think they’re the worst. Fanaticism and extremism exists in every religion but it always remains on the fringes. And I think what makes it drift to the mainstream is the fact that they were supported. Some did support them with money, and they provided them with the infrastructure, which allowed them to then spread that ideology a lot more.

At the middle of the pyramid are those who ... [believe] that there's a political injustice. That they don’t have a stake in their own societies. That there’s no justice. And I think at the bottom of the pyramid are those who are probably uneducated and suffer from poverty and unemployment, and they are the most vulnerable. Apart from those on the top, it’s vulnerability that makes people fall prey to their kind of rhetoric.

Because there are different reasons why people join, she said, the fight against ISIS needs to be undertaken at different levels -- including militarily. “But this can’t just be won on the battlefield,” she said. “At the heart of this war is ideology, and you cannot kill an ideology with a bullet. You can only kill it with a better idea.”

Queen Rania: Let's Drop The First 'I' In ISIS. There's Nothing Islamic About Them

At the heart of this war is ideology, and you cannot kill an ideology with a bullet. You can only kill it with a better idea.”

Very true.

ISIL is strong and basically un-killable as long as they have support from the local populations on the ground. You can keep killing their leaders and soldiers but they will never run out. The news is full of stories like "terrorist leader killed in strike"... but they are just replaced by someone else in no time.

The real fight is over ideology. When no one believes in the extremist ideology, these groups will eventually die off since they will have no way to replenish their numbers.

Kathleen Miles

LONDON -- Queen Rania of Jordan said Thursday evening that there is nothing Islamic about the self-proclaimed Islamic State, or ISIS.

She was speaking with Huffington Post Editor-In-Chief Arianna Huffington as a part of The WorldPost Future of Work Conference. “I would love to drop the first ‘I’ in ISIS because there’s nothing Islamic about them," Queen Rania said, prompting applause from the audience.

"They have nothing to do with faith and everything to do with fanaticism,” she said. “I think as an international community, we would do well to not focus on the religious character of that group because when we do, we give them undeserved legitimacy.”

ISIS wants to be called Islamic … because any action against them will automatically be called a war against Islam, which is exactly what they want it to be,” she said. “They want it to be the West coming against Islam because it will help them with their recruiting.

Instead, Queen Rania said, the war against ISIS must be led by Muslims and Arabs, with the international community in a supporting role. And part of that war is countering ISIS’s messaging online and on social media with content by the Muslim and Arab community, especially the youth, she said. “We can’t let [ISIS] hijack our identity and brand us in the way that they want. We have to write our own narrative.”

“What the extremists want is to divide our world along fault lines of religion and culture, and so a lot of people in the West may have stereotypes against Arabs and Muslims,” she said. “But really this fight is a fight between the civilized world and a bunch of crazy people who want to take us back to medieval times. Once we see it that way, we realize that this is about all of us coming together to defend our way of life.”

Queen Rania said she thought there are different reasons people join ISIS, including desire for a sense of belonging, for adventure, for a job and/or for the religious rhetoric. She said she sees it as a pyramid:

At the top of the pyramid are those who actually generate that ideology, and I think they’re the worst. Fanaticism and extremism exists in every religion but it always remains on the fringes. And I think what makes it drift to the mainstream is the fact that they were supported. Some did support them with money, and they provided them with the infrastructure, which allowed them to then spread that ideology a lot more.

At the middle of the pyramid are those who ... [believe] that there's a political injustice. That they don’t have a stake in their own societies. That there’s no justice. And I think at the bottom of the pyramid are those who are probably uneducated and suffer from poverty and unemployment, and they are the most vulnerable. Apart from those on the top, it’s vulnerability that makes people fall prey to their kind of rhetoric.

Because there are different reasons why people join, she said, the fight against ISIS needs to be undertaken at different levels -- including militarily. “But this can’t just be won on the battlefield,” she said. “At the heart of this war is ideology, and you cannot kill an ideology with a bullet. You can only kill it with a better idea.”

Jordan is in direct hitting zone of USIS , & royal family knows about it , they want more support , surly they should be supported & JORDAN should become a , anti-USIS HQ of ME .
but are they ready to do that ?
Statements are eazy to give , & wars are difficult to fight ?

Just refer to them as micropenis collective everytime they are mentioned, I think they might get angry after that.

Very true.

ISIL is strong and basically un-killable as long as they have support from the local populations on the ground. You can keep killing their leaders and soldiers but they will never run out. The news is full of stories like "terrorist leader killed in strike"... but they are just replaced by someone else in no time.

The real fight is over ideology. When no one believes in the extremist ideology, these groups will eventually die off since they will have no way to replenish their numbers.
No local population supports them , its just few in KSA who feel threatened by IRAN are using them as their shield ?

Just refer to them as micropenis collective everytime they are mentioned, I think they might get angry after that.
No they will be dancing about it , at least some one found , their worth of existence ?lolzz

No local population supports them , its just few in KSA who feel threatened by IRAN are using them as their shield ?

If no local population supports them, then they have no chance to exist, since they won't be able to find new recruits.

If it was merely a few in KSA who supported ISIS then ISIS would not have survived for so long, albeit I agree they do not get much support from locals.

Very true.

Ideology can be killed when there is no reason for one to be pushed towards it:

there are different reasons people join ISIS, including desire for a sense of belonging, for adventure, for a job and/or for the religious rhetoric
political injustice
bottom of the pyramid are those who are probably uneducated and suffer from poverty and unemployment, and they are the most vulnerable
it’s vulnerability that makes people fall prey to their kind of rhetoric.

If no local population supports them, then they have no chance to exist, since they won't be able to find new recruits.
but by bombing the local population we are terrorizing them to actually join this radical group which tells them an alternative to getting your homes bombed and being sent back from refugee status....Where else do they go? Either get bombed by USA/ get trapped by injustice/ get mocked in Europe or join mental retards on your own land?

but are they ready to do that ?
Statements are eazy to give , & wars are difficult to fight ?
Russia plane was hit, Paris was attacked- they don't spare anyone who attacks them.
Jordan is a tiny country, yet they have shown the courage to stand up against atrocities of ISIS. Jordan King deserves a pat on his back.

2ndly chop the funding for god's sake....What sort of intelligence agency is CIA if they cant chop the fundin till date...Kind of makes one think CIA is running it!

3rdly, stop training and providing free weapons! How stupid is the world?

but by bombing the local population we are terrorizing them to actually join this radical group which tells them an alternative to getting your homes bombed and being sent back from refugee status....Where else do they go? Either get bombed by USA/ get trapped by injustice/ get mocked in Europe or join mental retards on your own land?

Exactly, this is why they are like a Hydra, if you cut off one head, two more heads will pop up.

This is why their numbers seem endless, no matter how many you kill, more and more are created.

The extremist ideology is the base which needs to be destroyed first.

I have been wondering one thing for a long time that why not all the Muslim countries/governments issue a joint communique that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam and their version and interpretation of the religion have no place in Islamic society and it is contrary to the core teachings of Islam. This will effectively put an end to this anti-Islamic propaganda and calm down a lot of critics. It is not time to sit idle but actively do something. I really know where and when OIC died? Does anyone has a clue if it even exists?

Back
Top Bottom