What's new

Q&A with PAF Fighter Pilot, Kaiser Tufail

A very insightful interview from Wing Cdre (R) Kaiser Tufail of the Pakistani Air Force. Well worth a listen, but here are the main takeaways:
1 - The PL-15 is confirmed for the Block III JF-17.
2 - The PAF plans to retire Mirages and F-7s by 2025.
3 - The PAF is interested in inducting more Falcons, depending on whether Uncle Sam wants to play ball.
4 - No plans to induct any new platforms like the J-10 until the Mirages and F-7s retire and the JF-17 fleet reaches full strength.
5 - Chinese radars, particularly the newer AESA radars are every bit as good as their western counterparts.
6 - The PAF is confident that the Block III JF-17 is going to be as capable as the Rafale in BVR engagements, and have an edge in WVR engagements.
7 - The PAF is confident that its F-16s and JF-17s are going to be able to deal with India's Rafales, given the aforementioned parity in technology and also the PAF's decades of experience in operating its platforms.
8 - JF-17 vs. Tejas: Both are fairly evenly matched, but in BVR the Thunder takes it, especially the Block III.
9 - No plans for the Pakistani Navy to get its own fighter squadron.
10 - An interesting story about letters from Neil Armstrong

Credit for Points : Ashas Bukhari

ADD.... he also said Tejas is a badly designed aircraft

It was said pretty much the way Sir KT describes. However, online argument was that the delta cannot be replaced as such but then again, we need to consider the facts as per doctrine and operational requirements given the capability of Thunders as well as our limitations. I think a lot has been changed since the time of Mirages being built for specific role having limitations on that time... we are looking at newer weapons, smart payloads, electronics, avionics etc etc that can be referred for the replacement of Mirages with Thunders that can do the job per current air warfare & advancements.
Correct, that is where i am of believe that the newer RD engine is being prep'ed for a block 4+ series.

It was said pretty much the way Sir KT describes. However, online argument was that the delta cannot be replaced as such but then again, we need to consider the facts as per doctrine and operational requirements given the capability of Thunders as well as our limitations. I think a lot has been changed since the time of Mirages being built for specific role having limitations on that time... we are looking at newer weapons, smart payloads, electronics, avionics etc etc that can be referred for the replacement of Mirages with Thunders that can do the job per current air warfare & advancements.
The only reason I wanted to see J-10C in PAF colors is because I believed that Jeff was incapable of replacing our mirages but Sir KT has answered that Jeff is indeed capable of replacing our Mirages. This news is great for Jeff as the purchase of J-10C could have compromised the JF-17 project's future.

Correct, that is where i am of believe that the newer RD engine is being prep'ed for a block 4+ series.
I wonder if we will see significant changes in the airframe of Jeff block 4. How strong do you think is a possibility of Jeff block 4 being a mediumweight aircraft similar to how F-16 went from lightweight to mediumweight?
@The Eagle @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

The only reason I wanted to see J-10C in PAF colors is because I believed that Jeff was incapable of replacing our mirages but Sir KT has answered that Jeff is indeed capable of replacing our Mirages. This news is great for Jeff as the purchase of J-10C could have compromised the JF-17 project's future.
Many valuable netizens in China have been emphasizing the importance of electronic devices.Upgrading from JF to J10C does not bring fundamental changes.Because they use the same level of electronic equipment.Spending money on the body is not the most efficient way.It is better to purchase more PL15, I heard that the price may reach 2 million US dollars.

I wonder if we will see significant changes in the airframe of Jeff block 4. How strong do you think is a possibility of Jeff block 4 being a mediumweight aircraft similar to how F-16 went from lightweight to mediumweight?

Nothing sort of Block-IV Thunder except that it is an internet goal being set by people like us. Or unless, we go for it if the future needs warrants as such and we don't have much of a choice in this regard. Remember that PAF doesn't go for the numbers alone or specific role platforms but we have seen how similar A/Cs have been pitched in different configuration as per requirement of mission. The platform may evolve as per requirement & we can find it befittingly serving the doctrine or else, as cannot be done merely for the sake of a Delta with Delta replacement.

Delta Vs Delta replacement could have been based upon the notion given the strike platform in shape of Mirage only. As I said earlier, a lot has been changed and what we have been hearing/read over time that Thunder will replace the Mirages pretty much influences as how the advancement of tech along with smart weapons/SOWs etc have changed such kind of a must in current warfare scenario.

Unlikely. If the PAF is going to add more JF-17s, then Block-IV will probably be a minor update to Block-III. The point is to keep costs under control, and timelines as short as possible.

If the PAF wants a mainstay fighter with more range and payload, then it should look towards the FC-31 as its next-gen backbone fighter.

In fact, given that the Turks have opted to design their TF-X into a F-15-sized fighter, I don't think it's an 'either/or' scenario anymore. Even if the PAF is interested in the TF-X, there's no way it can afford to fill its entire fleet with that big a fighter. Moreover, the TR Motor version is not coming before 2035. The door's open for the FC-31 (or a similar NGFA project with Chengdu).

Always great listening to him. Were any of you online at the time? Can't believe I missed this :hitwall:

56:45 F-16 own goal - due to poor visibility

nice talk by a ret. Air force officer, but i think his opinion about delta wing aircraft's having lag or drag issue must be his personal opinion , because all three aircraft he described mirage 5 rafale and tejas, all are delta wings but rafale and tejas are unstable in designs , also the drag issue caused by higher aspect ratio on longer landing and take off distance true in cases of stable delta wing fighters like mirage 5 but from mirage 2k onward it got changed also a fare comparison LCA have very short take off distance in my assumption also it have very good minimum turn radius,i think in sustained turn jf17 can out gun lca and be a winner but it will be a 2 or 3 circle fight, yes a combo with jf17 and f16 is better counter to rafale but i dont think IAf wont send rafale alone to any engagement in future because after getting a hard lessons on feb 27th they wont repeat the same mistakes, these are my personal views on his statement

Back
Top Bottom