What's new

Punjab envisions city on Ravi bank

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE: The Punjab government has formed a plan to invite $10 billion foreign investment to develop the riverfront of Ravi on modern theme under a mega project sprawling over an area of 70,000 acres, The Express Tribune has learnt.

The project named Ravi River Development Front would be developed on the pattern of River Thames that runs through London, sources in Lahore’s city government said.

The Punjab government has invited expressions of interest from international consultancy firms for preparing technical study and feasibility during the last week, they added.

The project entails building a 36 kilometre long concrete channel for the Ravi River and developing a new city on its banks that would have green belts, parks and recreation areas. The one kilometre wide and 15 feet deep channel would be run from the siphon on BRB canal to Maraca area.

Expecting an inflow of foreign visitors, the planners have proposed to give the city a Mughal and classical Lahore aura, keep it weapon and crime free, build its own airport and allow restricted access via ring road on both sides, an official involved in the project said.

The riverfront will be dotted with modern piers, boardwalks and 70% area dedicated to trees to make it environment friendly.

The project would generate $1,500 to $2,000 billion worth of economic activity till its completion in three years, the official said.

Around 25,000 acres of riverfront would be sold to investors for business, cultural and lifestyle activities.

The city district government has issued notification to acquire land for the project and all sale and purchase, mutation on both sides of existing Ravi banks have been banned, he confirmed.

People living in localities having more than 40 houses would be relocated in nearby areas whereas others would be given compensation on market rate.

Ambitious scheme: Punjab envisions city on Ravi bank – The Express Tribune

$12 Billion New Islamabad $10 Billion New Ravi Bank City man I gotta say this government really knows what they are doing I mean look at this:

The project would generate $1,500 to $2,000 billion worth of economic activity till its completion in three years, the official said.

Yep thats right $2000 Billion worth of economic activity.

My only question is when is Mugabe coming from Zimbabwe ? and will the city be named after him ?

Yep thats right $2000 Billion worth of economic activity.

My only question is when is Mugabe coming from Zimbabwe ? and will the city be named after him ?

This looks like a reporting error. It must be $ 2 Billion

foreign investment by Turks constructors or Saudi Kings?

anyway, should built a mega city near Indus river rather than Ravi next to Lahore, which means development in lahore.

Some people are burning.

Burnol-Antiseptic-Cream25g.jpg

on one hand this gov is trying hard to secure 5-6 billion from IMF, the dollar is rising every day and on other 10 billion for islo, and another 12 for this, where will all this come from.... given the current situation of law and order..... this gov should really work on more practical and do able things.... like bhatta has now reached lhr and isb, and terrorist and banging every day.... these people really need to wake up.

and where will electricity come from to power this 'new metropolis' ... ?? as they say in punjabi 'galan kara loo... jinnian marzi'

I am less concerned about financing for this project, because it is based on real estate development and investors will make money like anything.

I am also not concerned about lack of electricity, because this may take four to five years.

I am also not concerned about skewed development, because like Malaysia, Government seems to be providing vision, planning, and seed money for the project. Like most infrastructure projects of this current GOP, there is little or no budget.

I am very very much concerned about the likelihood of a Super flood like the one in 1988. I remember it vividly and it was horrendous. Can this channel handle 450,000 Cusecs flood? That would be my worry and nothing else.

Building a needless city on prime agricultural land. Good idea.

Seems like you are a PTI supporter. You would not have any other motivation for making up crap like this. Go and take a walk along the bank of Ravi and then come back and post an apology.

I lost all the interest in the news when it said 1500 to 2000 billion dollars... it probably meant to say 1500-2000 billion rupees

May be update of such a venture might be interesting

Any update on this front?

Yes, the plots are available now, 1 Canal residential plot for around 5 million Rs.

but no direct linkage with the Motorway in plan..

still cheap as compared to prices in Lahore.

Back
Top Bottom