What's new

PTI government announced the construction of Kalabagh Dam.

divert the funds from unnecessary politically motivated projects.like building an engineering university in swat.reason just because it's the area of chief minister of kpk.the only reason.why do we need more depressed and unemployed engineers???

So we should rather have uneducated child labor roaming around?
Nice logic you go there mate.
And what's your problem with people of Swat? Doesn't matter who it belongs to, the question is there a need for this in Swat? Yes. Then why not.

Why don't you pay dam fund in your monthly bills instead?

Why build huge dams that take years to get operational, Why not building small dams that supports regional rather than national and also it will take less time

The time it takes to build one big dam is lesser than building 10 smaller ones to accommodate the same amount of water.
Why do you suppose the entire world will be building bigger and bigger dams?

So we should rather have uneducated child labor roaming around?
Nice logic you go there mate.
And what's your problem with people of Swat? Doesn't matter who it belongs to, the question is there a need for this in Swat? Yes. Then why not.

Why don't you pay dam fund in your monthly bills instead?

The time it takes to build one big dam is lesser than building 10 smaller ones to accommodate the same amount of water.
I think I know swat better then you cause I lived for 25 years there.swat already has university 2 medical colleges and cadet college.desicion to build university is only to show people in next election.university has no building of it's own.first complete that.that's a priority.we already have dozens of unemployed engineers.i am seeing my engineer brother struggle everyday.hell couple of days back he even applied for the post of news caster.now you wanna make more youth suffer.create job opportunities for them.dont make life miserable for more youth.my college building isnt complete and it's has graduated 6 batches.

You cant get dependent on a single large dam, What if the reality after building the dam is different than theory?? At le

While I would love for the dam to be built, but I believe the government should get all the provinces on board first instead of just initiating the dam project, otherwise feeling of Punjabistan amongst smaller provinces will grow stronger.

While I would love for the dam to be built, but I believe the government should get all the provinces on board first instead of just initiating the dam project, otherwise feeling of Punjabistan amongst smaller provinces will grow stronger.

I don't know why Government is not starting those dams on which all provinces are already agreed, and which are politically not controversial. Such as Bhasha, Katzara and Bunji Dam.

I've been doing some reading about this and there seems no good reason not to build it.

Why is there opposition to this dam?

This is what im trying to find out, what these grievances are.
The KPK people say it will cause flooding in some significant areas. The Sindhis say they will not get their fair share of water for agriculture

This is what im trying to find out, what these grievances are.
They probably feel the water will be stopped too often to fill up such a massive dam, similar to the Renaissance dam in Ethiopia, and that it will reduce the overall amount of water sent downstream. For KPK, it would flood too much land (into KPK). The Kalabagh dam sits on the Indus in a place that can hold a lot of the overall water heading down stream.

An Alternative dam, actually presented to WAPDA in the last PPP government’s time (around 2010-2011) is the Soan Dam. A lot of the benefits of the Kalabagh dam in terms of capacity and hydropower but without being directly on the Indus. IMHO, It best addresses the concerns of KPK and Sindh Without derailing the overall goal.

If you google “Pakistan Flood Control System” you will find the slideshow outlining not only the Soan dam but a number of Dams in KPK, Punjab and Sindh built to best manage flood, generate large amounts of hydropower and have enough water to make a navigable canal so we can ship good (and move water around) up and down the country to minimize freight costs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom