What's new

Prime Minister to Address Nation Shortly ..

Does anyone know of any time for this announcement.

They've been delaying for quite some time now. It was suppose to be on air around 2 AM. Well, sit tight. It'll happen any time now.

Yes DarkStar, you are absolutely right. MQM is a terror mafia which has controlled the city through fear. My parents and other family members also live in Karachi. I know what is going on in that city. I hate MQM and Altaf for what they did to the honourable CJ and his supporters last year.

qsaark/DarkStar, I do understand that a lot of people dislike MQM (me included) but like SSGPA1 said earlier they do also have support of many people and that is a fact as well.
They have many thugs and do use typical gangster tactics but with passage of time (and passage of Mr. Altaf :)) i think they will become more toned down.
While we may not like them it does not mean they do not have support.

BTW FYI, in hardcore MQM strongholds they give you coupon for your Bakar Eid Animal Skin and you cannot give the skin to any other party/charity organization etc.
A thing a Karachite told me recently.

With passage of time (with decent judiciary in place) and continued democratic process we may see many parties reform themselves.
People are becoming more aware.

Pakistan got liberated once again, enjoy my brothers, this day has come with news of another independence, hope we all as a pakistanis can build upon this.

remember its not judicary who shoulder responsibility, we can not leave every things onto others, rather actively take reponisbility ourself and take this coutry towards success.

i love my fellow brothers and my :pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

on 14th august 1947 we made a country for ourselves but became soverign on 16th march 2009. this day we have got independence from some of our corrupt politicians.
long live a Prosperous Pakistan:pakistan:
Cheers to Pakistanis.... :cheers:

MQM does not have the support of Karachi.

Theirs is a reign of terror.

In the last elections, my aunt was turned away from the polling station after being told "aap ka vote to dall chuka hay".

This should give you an idea of their so called political support.

But this is a rather simplistic assessment of a party that has dominated the politics of Karachi, a city which happens to boast the most literate citizenry inside of Pakistan.

The example that you quote above is something that is replicated all over Pakistan. This goes on in Punjab and it goes on in Sind, in NWFP and in Balochistan. Power of the gun is wielded fairly commonly all over Pakistan in times of elections.

MQM has grassroots contacts with people in Karachi and there is no denying this fact. While their heavy handed tactics are there for all to see, but a city the size of Karachi with such a massive multi-ethnic population makes it highly unlikely that the MQM rules only with terror. A party cannot dominate Karachi on the basis of the gun alone. The ties between MQM and Karachi are somewhat similar to ANP and its hold over NWFP.

I do think this party needs to reform and evolve but they are stuck in the same rut as PPP and PML (essentially the party is the fiefdom of the leaders).

Furthermore the MQM has changed its standing a lot over the last few years, particularly with the educated class. I've known people who despite really hating MQM and harboring nothing but contempt for Altaf Hussain, grudgingly credit them for the all construction work they've done and some of the other changes they've made. But as always there is much to criticize, but if we're fair these problems define all the political parties of Pakistan and not just MQM. The MQM is probably the second most organized party in Pakistan (after the JI) but it is still not a 'democratic' party in the true sense where the power of the leadership is absolute and mindless indoctrination still accounts for a large part of their support. However like I said, this is the case with all political parties in Pakistan and it would be unfair to single MQM out in this regard since they have recently introduced a new, fairly educated leadership. (Their loyalty to Pakistan though is still dubious IMO but they do provide a bulwark against Taliban influence in Karachi).

When MQM came to power their true motives were to separate Pakistan and join India a party that held such Ideas should be questioned of its true motives, and in that sense can we make one enemy of ours fight another? a bulwark against Taliban influence in Karachi^^^^^^

But this is a rather simplistic assessment of a party that has dominated the politics of Karachi, a city which happens to boast the most literate citizenry inside of Pakistan.

The example that you quote above is something that is replicated all over Pakistan. This goes on in Punjab and it goes on in Sind, in NWFP and in Balochistan. Power of the gun is wielded fairly commonly all over Pakistan in times of elections.

MQM has grassroots contacts with people in Karachi and there is no denying this fact. While their heavy handed tactics are there for all to see, but a city the size of Karachi with such a massive multi-ethnic population makes it highly unlikely that the MQM rules only with terror. A party cannot dominate Karachi on the basis of the gun alone. The ties between MQM and Karachi are somewhat similar to ANP and its hold over NWFP.

I do think this party needs to reform and evolve but they are stuck in the same rut as PPP and PML (essentially the party is the fiefdom of the leaders).

I've got family in both Karachi and Punjab. My family votes in Punjab, no one has ever been coerced, or harrassed at polling booths.

MQM does not have the affections of the people of Karachi, specifically Urdu speakers. There are some who were fooled by the Altaf Hussain rhetoric in the late 80's and 90's, but that has long since passed.

The fear and intimidation of MQM is something I have not seen from any other party in any other city.

No other political party 'jugga' taxes people, picks up opponents and tortures them, kills them (even urdu speaking lads who have been heard to say a word against Altaf), kidnaps sons of prominent people for ransom, stuffs ballot boxes and refuses legitimate voters, collects money from small businesses, forces cable stations to air their advertisements for free, the list is endless.

To believe that all Urdu speakers of Karachi support this party is an unfouded assertion and is an insult to the majority of Urdu speakers in Sindh, who do not favour divisive politics based on linguistic lines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom