What's new

Poverty in Britain - Why are millions of Brits so broke?

Housing seems like a huge problem in the UK and no surprise: A tiny island nation which is very overpopulated. But I bet your govt. funded housing is not like the 'projects' housing in America, which are horrible as far as I know.

It's not overpopulated. It's the land owning class who are working in conjunction with the politicians to limit the house building to profiteer from rising land values and property prices.

They only allow building on very few bits of land to make the price of land expensive and then they limit how many homes they build to ensure an under supply which drives up prices.

It's near impossible to finance a self build but they'll give you 35 year mortgages to buy a ready built house.

The UK has very similar population density to Germany, Kuwait, Qatar all countries nobody would describe as over populated.

The social housing was a mix. Most of it was semi detached houses not high rises although in the big urban centres you did see some of that.

It didn't turn into slums as a lot of people eventually bought their own govt house. Unfortunately a lot were sold to the private sector who house the same sorts of tenants but at higher market rates and the state is still footing the bill.

Someone renting in social housing will be paying a third of what a private Tennant will be. Unfortunately the welfare state picks up the bill of people on welfare who are in private rented accommodation because they sold all the social housing stock and didn't re invest the money into building more.

These are the kind of stupid govt decisions that are part and parcel of life in the UK atm.

It's a shame - it's a rich country with a talented population but they're being held back.

It didn't turn into slums as a lot of people eventually bought their own govt house. Unfortunately a lot were sold to the private sector who house the same sorts of tenants but at higher market rates and the state is still footing the bill.

Someone renting in social housing will be paying a third of what a private Tennant will be. Unfortunately the welfare state picks up the bill of people on welfare who are in private rented accommodation because they sold all the social housing stock and didn't re invest the money into building more.

I see what you are saying. Sounds like bad economic policies.

And interesting people could buy the 'social housing'. Home ownership kind of forces people to keep their home and neighborhood/surrounding in decent shape. I don't think tenants can buy the 'projects' housing in America.

Oh, about my 'overpopulation' comment, I have seen the Brits say that in vlogs. It is a different and strange perspective for me because I live in a semi-rural area where there is tons of greenery and acreage; heck, I personally own almost mostly thickly wooded 20 acres spread over three properties--they are cheap properties but still mine.

Southern Appalachian region--probably the safest region in America from climatic/weather stresses. Semi rural but facilities within 15-20 minutes. Based on what you are saying, you wouldn't like it. And frankly I too sometimes miss the 'city' and its buzz--and the nearest for me would be a 40 minute drive and even that wouldn't be a 'city' for you.
I am happy where I am. You couldn't pay me to live in TX or FL--too hot for me. I like cooler climate but not terribly cold. I have seen and recorded 5 F in last winter outside my house but that's rare.
Appalachia is a hidden gem if the right resources can be put in; education and Infrastructure to overcome the geographic barriers. Good salt of the earth people.

Peter Santenello did a recent series on Appalachia. Hopefully the reindustrialize of America will reach the towns there.

Always thought it would make a good place for boarding schools (or at least summer camps) for kids from the big cities, if people are willing to send their kids there.

I see what you are saying. Sounds like bad economic policies.

And interesting people could buy the 'social housing'. Home ownership kind of forces people to keep their home and neighborhood/surrounding in decent shape. I don't think tenants can buy the 'projects' housing in America.

Oh, about my 'overpopulation' comment, I have seen the Brits say that in vlogs. It is a different and strange perspective for me because I live in a semi-rural area where there is tons of greenery and acreage; heck, I personally own almost mostly thickly wooded 20 acres spread over three properties--they are cheap properties but still mine.

Compared to the US it is busy - I've seen videos of your part of the world and it looks amazing.

The big cities are crowded outside of them it's pretty normal.

I think a lot of people don't like the suburban sprawl, but it's nimbyism really. I think we should have more brownfield development and should probably build upwards more than we do - but housing policy is this country is purely about profit. Build new suburban estates full of 2 and 3 bedroom houses. Expand onto the countryside without any regard for infrastructure needs of the community.

Appalachia is a hidden gem if the right resources can be put in; education and Infrastructure to overcome the geographic barriers. Good salt of the earth people.
Peter Santenello did a recent series on Appalachia. Hopefully the reindustrialize of America will reach the towns there.
Always thought it would make a good place for boarding schools (or at least summer camps) for kids from the big cities, if people are willing to send their kids there.

I am planning to watch the Peter Santenello docu you are mentioning--You Tube algo alerted me on that. It is a long docu so I will need time. And I am sure you know Peter went to Pakistan a few years ago and did great docus about Pakistan. And I have seen him sort of bashing San Fran for what it has become.

Yup, where I live, it is 'salt of the Earth' and one Virginia coworker called it 'God's Country'. Simple 'county folks'.

But I am going to go into the 'Nimby' mode and say that it really suck here!! Rednecks, racism, 'Deliverance', heat, cockroaches, violent thunderstorms 18 times a year--even tornadoes! ;)

I am planning to watch the Peter Santenello docu you are mentioning--You Tube algo alerted me on that. It is a long docu so I will need time. And I am sure you know Peter went to Pakistan a few years ago and did great docus about Pakistan. And I have seen him sort of bashing San Fran for what it has become.

Yup, where I live, it is 'salt of the Earth' and one Virginia coworker called it 'God's Country'. Simple 'county folks'.

But I am going to go into the 'Nimby' mode and say that it really suck here!! Rednecks, racism, 'Deliverance', heat, cockroaches, violent thunderstorms 18 times a year--even tornadoes! ;)
I follow him on YouTube - loved his American content, so in depth.

How the hell did you end up in Appalachia?? Lol are you in West Virginia??

How the hell did you end up in Appalachia?? Lol are you in West Virginia??

Not too far from WV! ;)
I guess generally I don't like cities, traffic, noise. But such semi-rural life does come with some sense of isolation and lack of 'ethnic food' etc.

Not too far from WV! ;)
I guess generally I don't like cities, traffic, noise. But such semi-rural life does come with some sense of isolation and lack of 'ethnic food' etc.
I’ve lived in a rural area like that before and it has its charms but I was going crazy after a while. Don’t know how you do it!

Not too far from WV! ;)
It also helps if you like outdoor activities and sweet tea. ;) Basically it depends what your family situation is like and how lack of ethnic food.

You could always go to Long John silvers or Cracker Barrel :)

All those Chinese supporting Pakistani goons who claim UK is done why are you in the waiting list to enter the UK as a refugee ?

Go to China

UK is here to stay, you sold your country to China now go beg China for help

Don’t wish bad for UK because it’s wishful thinking

UK gave over 1 million Pakistani a home and now we are 3 million strong

Those 3 million support millions back in Pakistan

But some Pakistani never forget to bite the hand that feeds them

All those Chinese supporting Pakistani goons who claim UK is done why are you in the waiting list to enter the UK as a refugee ?

Go to China

UK is here to stay, you sold your country to China now go beg China for help

Don’t wish bad for UK because it’s wishful thinking

UK gave over 1 million Pakistani a home and now we are 3 million strong

Those 3 million support millions back in Pakistan

But some Pakistani never forget to bite the hand that feeds them

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. It doesn't matter who posted the topic, and we know some members have ulterior motives with what they post and how they present it, but the truth is that Britain as a country might not be broke, but a lot of the middle class are going that way. Countries grow on disposable income, the disposable income has been massively squeezed in the UK, especially in the last 12-18 months. People are coming out of fixed rate mortgages and seeing £3-400 a month increases in repayments. This is also being passed onto tennants renting in buy-to-lets.

You can see it in the figures around car sales, holidays, fast food sales, cinema and other entertainment revenue, everywhere people spend thier extra money is trending down. Of course it will correct itself eventually, boom and bust comes in cycles, but the turns of the cycles are becoming more frequent, the peaks and troughs lower, meaning stagnation.

I’ve lived in a rural area like that before and it has its charms but I was going crazy after a while. Don’t know how you do it!
Believe me when I say this: Visits to dentists for even root canals don't sound too bad and I have them done twice since March this year! Hahaha!
It also helps if you like outdoor activities and sweet tea. ;) Basically it depends what your family situation is like and how lack of ethnic food.
You could always go to Long John silvers or Cracker Barrel
Hahaha!! Haven't set foot in a LJS in years and went a CB a few months ago and was disappointed.
But wife has learned to sort of cook Desi foods and she enjoys them a lot so...

BTW, at least I have not bashed the UK in this thread. They are in a bad patch right now. Best wishes to them. I'd love to spend a few days in London and then extended stay in countryside/Wales/Scotland in less populated areas.

Back
Top Bottom