What's new

Possible Terrorist Organization Banned: Pakistan

Show me a quote. Not what author says. I will fix it, if that is the case. But that certainly isn't the case.

Advisor to the Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik making it clear that non state actors were involved in Mumbai carnage and Pakistan is committed bringing the perpetrators of Mumbai attacks to justice told that 124 people including top Jamaat ul Dawat leaders have been arrested in a crackdown on groups allegedly linked to the attacks in Mumbai.

Besides training camps, he said, 5 institutions imparting relief to ban outfits has also been closed.

The Daily Mail - Daily News from Pakistan - Newspaper from Pakistan

It has taken various measures including the shutdown of extremist websites and suspected militant training camps.

Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik addresses a news conference in Islamabad, Pakistan, on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009. Pakistan has arrested more than 100 people in a crackdown on groups allegedly linked to the Mumbai attacks,

Pakistan cracks down on Mumbai suspects - International Business Times

Last edited:
I quoted an APP report.

Well, it does not quote him about the LeT camps.
But it does not give the entire statements and answers of the press conference either.

By starting this post I was interested in asking people how the GoP's actions are taken there.
I am surprised to see that people don't even agree about training camps.

And an admin already cracked down on the lead post of this thread.

And it comes with this...
Admin Edit: No training camps exist. The above news is a made up storie by the Hindu authors.

along with a change in name of thread.

And he claims that the story is fabricated by a 'hindu authors'. and asserts that "no training camps exist".
I mentioned the source APP about the press conference. Don't you believe that either?

Last edited:
Daily Times, Dawn are quite major I think - in any case, the APP reported it, so whether it gets carried by the newspapers is upto the editorial boards.

All pakistan has to ensure is does these organisations has any potential to grow against the govt wish or no. These group is doing lot of social activities to run their work like hospital and schools. There is no point in banning these unless its a threat to pakistan internally.

This seems relevant.

Crackdown on Militants Connected to Mumbai Attacks

January 15, 2009 by CHUP! Editor - Kalsoom

[Image from GEO]

Media outlets reported today that Pakistan arrested 124 people in a crackdown “on groups allegedly linked to the attacks in Mumbai.” Interior Minister Rehman Malik told reporters that five Jamaat-ud-Dawa camps have been shut down and several of their leaders including Hafiz Saeed and Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi have been arrested. Dawn reported in its coverage:

During a press conference, he said that the camps claiming to be doing relief work, had actually been militant training camps and had immediately been shut down. It was also announced that Jamaat-ud-Dawa’s websites will be blocked and their publications will be banned.

According to the Associated Press, “Malik dodged a question on whether Pakistan was admitting militants from its soil staged the attack, saying evidence was still needed.” He did note, however, that the crackdown was in response to the U.N.’s accusation that a Pakistani charity was a front for an outlawed militant group allegedly linked to the attacks. Malik further noted that “every aspect and every detail pointed out by India regarding the accused groups would be investigated and a detailed report would be presented soon.” GEO Television cited the official who also urged India “to establish direct diplomatic channels with Pakistan for the exchange of information on Mumbai attacks instead of using indirect channels.”

And this:
Dawn report...
JuD leaders arrested, camps shut down: Rehman Malik
By Syed Irfan Raza
Friday, 16 Jan, 2009 | 02:04 AM PST |
Interior secretary Rehman Malik
Interior secretary Rehman Malik

ISLAMABAD: In a significant development which may prove to be a watershed in the country’s policy to counter religious extremism, the government declared on Thursday it has shut down five training camps of outlawed groups Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and Lashkar-e-Taiba, banned seven publications, and blocked all their locally and internationally operated websites.

In a consolidated effort the authorities have detained 124 people and some top leaders and officials of the banned outfits, including the top leaders Hafiz Saeed and Zakiur Rehamn Lakhvi.

This is by far the biggest crackdown against a religious militant organisation, and self-styled charity, which has sent a clear signal that the government means business. One clear indication of the government’s seriousness was Interior advisor Rehman Malik’s acknowledgement of militant training camps in the country which, according to him, have been shut down.

Although there was no official response from India on the latest crackdown, in a visible softening of stance, the external affairs minister Parnab Mukherjee was quoted as having said that if Islamabad was not willing to hand-over the suspects, it should then hold their trials in Pakistan.

Rehman Malik assured New Delhi that Pakistan will not leave any stone un-turned to bring the people involved in the Mumbai carnage to justice.

Pakistan and India have softened their stances a day after Saudi intelligence chief, Prince Muqrin Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud, visited Pakistan and met with the top leadership. He urged them to shun differences and play effective roles in defusing tensions.

It is believed that Pakistan has intensified its efforts for taking action against the leaders of LeT and JuD after it received support from Saudi Arabia to do so. The two groups belong to the Deoband or Salafi school of thought that dominates in Saudi Arabia.

Unveiling the details of the crackdown Rehman Malik said some five training camps had been closed down. They were located in Punjab and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK).

Assuring India that sincere efforts were being made to trace all alleged culprits, Rehman Malik asked New Delhi to provide access to crime scenes, and jointly investigate the incident.

He announced the formation of a special investigation team headed by an Additional Director General of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to examine ‘without any prejudice’ all aspects of the Mumbai attacks. ‘We are accepting the information provided by India, and we have formed an investigation team with a view to reach the culprits,’ he added.

Malik said 124 members of banned militant groups have been detained so far. Among them are Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, Mufti Abdur Rehman, Col (retd) Nazir Ahmed, Ameer Hamza and LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.

‘We arrested a total of 124 mid-level and top leaders of JuD in response to a UN resolution: 69 from Punjab, 21 from Sindh, eight from Balochistan and 25 from NWFP. Six websites associated with the organization have been blocked and five relief camps closed,’ the advisor said.

He said 20 offices, 87 schools, two libraries, seven religious schools, and a handful of other organizations and Websites linked to JuD had also been closed down.

Significantly, Malik did not say whether any legal proceedings had been initiated against the detained persons. However, sources told Dawn that the government was considering a trial against at least three detained leaders.

Rehman Malik said Pakistan launched an operation against suspects soon after the Mumbai attacks, and responded immediately to the resolution of the United Nations. ‘India should wait for the results of the investigation it will reveal all hidden truths. Pakistan and India need to sit together against their common enemy — terrorists.’

He reiterated that Pakistan has nothing to do with the Mumbai attacks. ‘We condemned the incident on all platforms. Pakistan is also suffering at the hands of militants and that is worrying us.’

Responding to a question he called for a joint investigation into Mumbai attacks, saying that would ‘bring quick results.’

To anther question, Malik ruled out handing over of any Pakistani suspect to India, saying Pakistani laws allowed for the prosecution of citizens who may have committed crimes elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now please change back the topic name to what it was, remove the red blots from lead article and resume the discussion in the spirit it was intended to be.

Nobody in the Pakistani media outlet mention the quote i posted above. All the news reports mention of the relief camps (specifically 5 of them), and not the training camps. I have yet to see a direct quote of the Foreign Minister stating about the training camps. This however is widely reported in the Indian media. Given how they fabricate the news cannot be trusted until direct quote is available, which then again would be a major shift in policy by the government of Pakistan to admit of any terror camps which its citizens are unaware of.

Nobody in the Pakistani media outlet mention the quote i posted above. All the news reports mention of the relief camps (specifically 5 of them), and not the training camps. I have yet to see a direct quote of the Foreign Minister stating about the training camps. This however is widely reported in the Indian media. Given how they fabricate the news cannot be trusted until direct quote is available, which then again would be a major shift in policy by the government of Pakistan to admit of any terror camps which its citizens are unaware of.

I just quoted Dawn and Daily Times! Are they not Pakistani media outlets? They quoted the Interior minister!

I just quoted Dawn and Daily Times! Are they not Pakistani media outlets? They quoted the Interior minister!

I am mentioning the quote i posted above from the ZEE News website. Of course they are the Pakistani media outlets. Even a duck head would know!

I am mentioning the quote i posted above from the ZEE News website. Of course they are the Pakistani media outlets. Even a duck head would know!

Well, I'm not arguing any further on this. I can't understand what more you want. The "training camps" phrase is carried by several international websites as well, and they all quote the interior minister.

In any case, the Interior minister's press conference was held on the 15th of Jan, so don't expect any fresh reports on it.

Unveiling the details of the crackdown Rehman Malik said some five training camps had been closed down. They were located in Punjab and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK).
the government declared on Thursday it has shut down five training camps of outlawed groups Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and Lashkar-e-Taiba
This is from Dawn I quoted above.

The one you quoted ... Is it very different from this?

Anyway ZEE is not that popular with news.
The lead article is from 'The Hindu' which is one of the respected newspapers.
The name does not mean it is run by Hindus. I think that is the driving factor for your Hindu authors comment.

Well, I'm not arguing any further on this. I can't understand what more you want. The "training camps" phrase is carried by several international websites as well, and they all quote the interior minister.

In any case, the Interior minister's press conference was held on the 15th of Jan, so don't expect any fresh reports on it.

Most of these so called News papers get their news from one or the other, and these sources are none other than these same online articles.

I would not be surprised if the Foreign Minister did comment that, but i have yet to see a direct quote.

But Associated Press of Pakistan? Dawn?
I bet both their representatives are invited for any press conference...
I believe we can take them as first hand reports.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now please change back the topic name to what it was, remove the red blots from lead article and resume the discussion in the spirit it was intended to be.

What with this part?

Back
Top Bottom