What's new

Policeman among 8 Dead in Gujarat Violence, Army Called In: 10 Developments

Pretty clear.. The Patel caste in Gujrat are demanding preferential treatment thats reserved for more scheduled castes, and riots began because one of their leaders have been arrested

Right and I said most...not all.:D

Why didn't they use tear gas and rubber bullets , water cannons to disperse the protestor. They used Live rounds on civilians! ?????
wtf......

Pretty clear.. The Patel caste in Gujrat are demanding preferential treatment thats reserved for more scheduled castes, and riots began because one of their leaders have been arrested

Not arguing for Scheduled Castes who are mostly Dalits. They want OBC status or Other Backward Castes.

Gujarat High Court warns cops.
On the day the Gujarat High Court told the state to warn police not to cross “the limits of their power while restoring peace” — a reference to the police action Tuesday — and ordered a probe into the alleged custodial death of Patidar youth Shwetang Patel, Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti leader Hardik Patel visited Shwetang’s house and asked his sister to tie a rakhi. Shwetang’s last rites have been deferred until Sunday in view of Raksha Bandhan Saturday. Shwetang’s mother Prabhaben Patel filed a petition Thursday, alleging that her son died due to injuries inflicted by police on Tuesday night when violence broke out following the detention of Hardik Patel after his rally in Ahmedabad.
Justice J B Pardiwala had ordered a second autopsy by a panel of four doctors, including the head of department of forensic science. On Friday, Justice Pardiwala, after going through the second post-mortem report which suggested that Shwetang died of shock and brain haemorrhage due to head injuries, instructed that the body be handed to his parents for the last rites. The body had been kept in a mortuary pending investigation.
Shortly after 3 pm, Hardik Patel reached the Matru Krupa Society in Bapunagar where Shwetang lived and spent an hour there. Squatting on the ground outside Shwetang’s house, Hardik spoke to residents who alleged police high-handedness and claimed that police action had been recorded by CCTV cameras.
Before leaving the complex, Hardik told reporters that the “Gujarat government will have to bear the consequences”. Members of the housing society said Shwetang’s last rites will take place Sunday since they “don’t want more trouble” on Raksha Bandhan Saturday.
Shwetang’s mother Prabhaben said she was waiting for the opinion of her lawyer B M Mangukiya on the last rites. His sister Palak said: “I was overwhelmed. I just couldn’t say anything to Hardik and started crying. I didn’t approach him. He asked me to tie a rakhi. He said from now on ‘consider me your brother’.”
Prabhaben said she would continue to back Hardik and his campaign for a quota for Patels. “My son became a martyr for the community’s cause. With the kind of support I have been receiving from my community, I will keep supporting the cause. But I want justice for my son. I want the guilty policemen sentenced to life imprisonment.”
Meanwhile, a division bench of the High Court, led by Acting Chief Justice Jayant Patel, took the state government to task over the police action last Tuesday. The bench said that the government should convey to police the “limit of their power while restoring peace… not cross the limits of law.” “Considering the facts and circumstances, we find that restoration of peace in the state and resumption and return of normalcy… are of prime concern and it should stand on priority of state officials, and people at large of the state should appreciate all actions on the part of state to restore peace,” the court ruled. The court was hearing a PIL filed by an NGO through lawyer Chetan Pandya. The petitioner had urged the court to order action against police officials concerned.
“On the aspects of actions to be taken against erring police personnel/officers, we find that the same can wait for some time after considering the response and report of the state government, but we need to emphasise that the state government shall convey to all police personnel/officials the limits of their power while restoring peace…,” the bench said.

Gujarat High Court warns cops, Hardik Patel gets a victim’s rakhi | The Indian Express

Back
Top Bottom