What's new

PN U-Boats!

Growler, How you reached 9 numbers of submarine ?

Originally PN requirement were 11-12 submarines. PN already operates 3 Aosta-90B which will serve for next 2 decades or so. 7-8 tender for new submarines including future batch of Agosta-90B or entirely new subs? I may be wrong.

Originally PN requirement were 11-12 submarines. PN already operates 3 Aosta-90B which will serve for next 2 decades or so. 7-8 tender for new submarines including future batch of Agosta-90B or entirely new subs? I may be wrong.

Thats a news to me.. Can you help me with a link.

IMO the latest news of 7 new submarine procurement was an error made by media. PN is looking for more options other than U-214, that is either 3 Marlin or 4 Yuan and by 2020 they will have 6 or 7 submarines(including Agosta).

Thats a news to me.. Can you help me with a link.

IMO the latest news of 7 new submarine procurement was an error made by media. PN is looking for more options other than U-214, that is either 3 Marlin or 4 Yuan and by 2020 they will have 6 or 7 submarines(including Agosta).

before asking some one else for a link i need your link that PN will get new submarines 3 or 4 only by end of 2020 only.

If an order takes place any of these submarine it will take approximate this much time(It was reported in the case of U-214, for first sub 64months and 12 month gap between rest).

http://www.defence.pk/forums/naval-forces/16720-pakistans-acquisition-u-214-a.html

genius, all it says PN request for 3 type-214 which if ordered today will take approximately 5-6 years from now which is still 2015-16 not 2020. also the link does not prove your point that PN will buy only and only 3 more new subs which will bring PN sub fleet to 6 by 2020.

genius, all it says PN request for 3 type-214 which if ordered today will take approximately 5-6 years from now which is still 2015-16 not 2020. also the link does not prove your point that PN will buy only and only 3 more new subs which will bring PN sub fleet to 6 by 2020.

All I said "by 2020" , If you order in 2010 the first delivery will take place in 2015-16. The third and final delivery by 2017 or 18. Any order other than U-214 required a reprocess of entire contract and hardly conclude in 2010 and will take approximately same duration for delivery also (If it is a French one Pakistan would probably go for home production, now look at Indian case).

Currently PN maintaining a fleet of 5 submarines all based at Karachi. An expansion from this current fleet requires a huge amount of structural expansion cost to the base. The ongoing plan was increasing the fleet by one(three U-214 replacing two Agosta70). But you are claiming more than double, which I think by all means neither feasible nor required.

In my humble opinion, PN can get faster production and delivery of chinese Yuan AIP submarines as compared to western platform. Ideal way will be order Yuan AIP first which will be cheaper and delievered in short period of time.

Any comments?

In my humble opinion, PN can get faster production and delivery of chinese Yuan AIP submarines as compared to western platform. Ideal way will be order Yuan AIP first which will be cheaper and delievered in short period of time.

Any comments?

Personally, i believe we should go with a Hi-Medium tech combo.

3-4 western Subs, and 4 or so Chinese ones and also get into a long term cooperation with the Chinese.

Personally, i believe we should go with a Hi-Medium tech combo.

3-4 western Subs, and 4 or so Chinese ones and also get into a long term cooperation with the Chinese.

Very right, especially corporation with China in the submarine field will help Pakistan a lot to develop a nuclear sub in the future, and if possible Pakistan should lease a Chinese nuclear submarine in some near future in order to understand the technicalities involved with it's operation.
Operating a nuclear sub in open sea in real time environment will really open up the horizon's for PN in the field of nuclear sub. Having said that i know that PN's doctrine doesn't call for a having a blue water navy.

Last edited:
Currently PN maintaining a fleet of 5 submarines all based at Karachi. An expansion from this current fleet requires a huge amount of structural expansion cost to the base. The ongoing plan was increasing the fleet by one(three U-214 replacing two Agosta70). But you are claiming more than double, which I think by all means neither feasible nor required.

what ever dude. what ever suits your ego. how about PN wont get the new subs to suit your ego?

All I said "by 2020" , If you order in 2010 the first delivery will take place in 2015-16. The third and final delivery by 2017 or 18. Any order other than U-214 required a reprocess of entire contract and hardly conclude in 2010 and will take approximately same duration for delivery also (If it is a French one Pakistan would probably go for home production, now look at Indian case).

Already some submarine pens have been built at Jinnah Naval Base, Ormara. Thought I would share this with u.:smitten:

The Max strength that PN ever fielded, as far as their sabmarine force is concerned, was six. Four Daphne and Two Agosta 70.

The original replacement program for the Agosta 70 were three 214 boats. So it was already an enhacement in the fleet from all time high of six to a projected force of seven. So an enhancement is being worked in the overall numbers.

In order to effectively patrol the 400 mile EEZ in an arc from Keti Bandar to halfway to the approaches of Straits of Hurmuz, PN would require atleast eight boats on station. Taking into account routine refits ( Two boats -- in time of hostillities they are usually rushed back inot servcie but for arguments sake, I have taken this figure as an offline force) and transit/relief (Two boats). The Min. requirement runs up to 12 boats.

If you have carefully read various posts and reported Naval Chief's plans on Marlins, and Yuan Class subs. The figure comes out to be 10 boats (7 new + 3 Agosta 90B's). The Agosta 70's would still form part of the fleet for light/training duties untill such time when they fully retire.

My two bits worth!!!

Thanks buddy for a sensible reply..

We both made a small mistake in submarine numbers here.
3 Agosta 90B replaced the 4 numbers of Daphne, so the fleet reduced to 5. Then 3 U-214 coming into the place of 2 Agosta70 so it will go back to the former position of 6 not 7.

You are right. No russian subs for PN.

IMO i am expecting a medium-high-tech combo.

Most probably

-2 additional Agosta-90B
-3 Type-214
-4 Chinese AIP sub

or

-5 Chiense subs
-4 Merlins
again we all knw chinese are no match fr u 214 or amur and as far as i knw merlins are still not operational .

or More Agosta-90Bs and one of the three new submarines on offer to PN.

but if india foe for u 214 then pn wont buy it and
again we all knw chinese are no match fr u 214 or amur and as far as i knw merlins are still not operational .
in tht case ur left with upgraded agostas and chinese subs ,but then hw will pn match indian sub fleet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom