What's new

PLA to buy 700 stealth fighters, says Jane's Defence Weekly

I'm sorry but the success of the J-20/J-31 will not depend on international sales. The one and only customer that is needed is the Chinese military. China becomes the world's largest PPP economy at the end of 2014. We can afford it if there is a need. I'm well aware that the Chinese aerospace industry is in its infancy. But like I said before, you could have said the same thing about automobiles and commercial shipbuilding 10 years ago. China grows fast, very fast.

I know about China's Automobiles Industry.but as I said,Home Consumption is not the factor here.but to sustain such Production base,to make this base optimally,you've to look at the number of orders placed.we're talking about number of jets that can be produced per year.no doubt China can make a production base which could support around 50 per year when in full capacity.but to create a platform as many as 100 per year,you've justify it with a massive order,just like Lockheed Martin did.

by the way,I asked few questions in my post.could you answer that??

Great for China..We can't afford 700+ Fifth generation planes...:(

Possibly Jane's talked about 5th gens acquired for all lifetime.IAF is looking forward to acquire atleast 500+ 5th gens.thats a decent force.

FGFA--some 150-200
AMCA-- possibly even more than that

along with next gen UCAV.

Last edited:
Possibly Jane's talked about 5th gens acquired for all lifetime.IAF is looking forward to acquire atleast 500+ 5th gens.thats a decent force.

FGFA--some 150-200
AMCA-- possibly even more than that

along with next gen UCAV.
Hope they r not just CGs on the paper.

I know about China's Automobiles Industry.but as I said,Home Consumption is not the factor here.but to sustain such Production base,to make this base optimally,you've to look at the number of orders placed.we're talking about number of jets that can be produced per year.no doubt China can make a production base which could support around 50 per year when in full capacity.but to create a platform as many as 100 per year,you've justify it with a massive order,just like Lockheed Martin did.

Alright, let me just give you an example.

China's C919 already has 400 orders. The plane hasn't even flown yet and it has 400 orders.

Comac C919 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now a person unfamiliar with the aerospace industry would say that the C919 has nothing to do with the J-20/J-31. That person would be wrong. The entire aerospace supply chain is connected. Major aerospace companies like Boeing and Lockheed Martin do not own the entire supply chain. They have hundreds of external subcontractors and suppliers that produce the components they need. For example, major machine shops will have hundreds of CNC machines producing parts for both commercial and military aircraft. So a single machine shop will produce components for the Boeing 787 and the F-35 at the same time.

Do you get what I'm saying now?

The Chinese government is currently laying the foundation for a massive aerospace industry, just like what they already did for automobiles and ships.

China to build 70 airports by 2015 - Telegraph

AirportWatch | China to build 82 new airports and expand 101 existing ones by 2015 – whether needed or not

We do not intend to fill up these airports with Boeing and Airbus planes. The Chinese government will insist on domestic planes like the C919. This will create a massive aerospace supply chain -- a supply chain that can also be used for the J-20/J-31. Get it?

Thanks for your explanation.

Recently, the F-35 experienced major engine problems that should be fixed by the end of 2014. Here is one article out of many:

Bogdan: F-35 Engine Fix May be Ready by Year’s End
Bogdan: F-35 Engine Fix May be Ready by Year's End | DoD Buzz

Here are some lines from the above article:

[start of quote]

The Pentagon hasn’t released an official cause of the engine fire that led to a temporary grounding of the F-35 fleet and ongoing flying restrictions for the Lockheed Martin Corp.-made aircraft. A so-called root cause analysis is expected by the end of the month. Officials have traced the problem to “excessive rubbing” during an earlier test flight between a titanium fan blade and surrounding material, a synthetic polymer known as polyamide.

Three weeks before the F-35A conventional Air Force model aircraft caught fire during takeoff June 23 at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, it was flown in a manner designed to test the performance of its g-force, roll and yaw within designed limits known as the flight envelope.

While the maneuver only last two seconds or so, it triggered an unexpectedly high level of rubbing between the titanium blade in the fan section of the F135 engine and the polyamide. The metal reached temperatures of as high as 1,900 degrees Fahrenheit — compared to the normal level of about 1,000 degrees — and resulted in micro-cracking.

[end of quote]

I'm intelligently guessing the F-35 jet and the F-35 squadron(s) are not operational or not completely ready as of now. The F-35 has a long history of being the most expensive weapons program, having lots of major problems that the US government reluctantly admits or frequently downplays, and enjoying lots of propaganda about how amazing it is.

You asked me if I am a banned user with a different guise. I have been using this user name for years on various websites. I was banned at SinoDefence forum or whatever it is called, because the moderators there disliked my criticisms of the US establishment. I was also at another ChineseDefense forum or whatever it is called, but a single moderator there repeatedly censored and edited my comments whenever I posted something that offended him. I'm not banned there, but I got tired of being censored and edited without my permission. Thus, I am here at defence.pk forum.

Are you satisfied with my explanations?

A bit left out:
A prototype part may be tested as early as mid-October, Bogdan has said. Meanwhile, the program office is developing a new engine break-in procedure as a short-term fix to better analyze how it performs under increasing loads, he has said.
There is no engine today going into a Lockheed Martin airframe that won’t have the fix,” Bogdan said on Monday. If the prototype part isn’t ready by the end of the year, “we’ll do some burn-ins of production engines.”
There are currently about 100 F-35s in the U.S. fleet. Pratt & Whitney has delivered roughly 150 F135 engines.

A bit left out:

Our original discussion was about how complete or incomplete the F-35 JSF was. Then we got into a discussion about the definition of complete or incomplete by using colloquial English words versus jargon words from the industry or military. The key word was "operation" or "operational".

You provided sources showing that the F-35 JSF was operational or almost completely designed according to military and industry dialect.

I provided sources showing that the F-35 JSF was not operational or not completely designed by colloquial English usage. This is due to the recent critical engine failure of the F-35 JSF during simple tests. The engine should be fixed by the end of 2014 according to my previously provided source.

I'm aware the US military and military corporations built many F-35 JSF jets, but they built the jets before the jets were completely researched and designed, thus, those many jets have to receive major fixes later on. This concept of building lots of devices before the devices finish the R&D stage is called concurrency.

Concurrency is an inefficient & ineffective process according to various sources. The efficient way is to finish R&D, and the start mass production. Concurrency does mass production before R&D is finished, thus, the mass produced devices need major fixes.

Here are 2 sources with my red-font emphasis on concurrency, building many F-35 JSF jets before completing R&D stage, and fixing the incomplete, but mass produced F-35 jets:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lockheed F-35 Upgrades Cost $920 Million Less, U.S. Says
Lockheed F-35 Upgrades Cost $920 Million Less, U.S. Says - Bloomberg

. . . .

The estimate for improvements and corrections for aircraft already built or planned in the first 10 contracts to be awarded through 2016 has dropped to about $1.65 billion from a $2.57 billion estimate in September 2012, the Pentagon said in an annual assessment to Congress. The projection is $100 million less than the one made last year.

The need to retrofit the planes stems from the Defense Department’s decision to produce the F-35, the costliest weapons system, even as it’s still being developed. The Pentagon’s chief weapons buyer has criticized that approach, known as concurrency.

Putting the F-35 into production years before the first flight test was acquisition malpractice,” Frank Kendall, undersecretary of defense for acquisition, said in a 2012 industry presentation. “It should not have been done. But we did it.”

. . . .

The projected $398.6 billion acquisition cost for the F-35 has climbed 71 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars since the Pentagon signed its initial contract with Bethesda, Maryland-based Lockheed in 2001, even as plans were adjusted to buy 409 fewer aircraft. The estimated cost to operate and support the plane over a 55-year service life has declined to $1.02 trillion from $1.11 trillion.

. . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concurrency’s Costs: An F-35 Example
Concurrency’s Costs: An F-35 Example « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary

WASHINGTON: Everyone now knows Lockheed Martin and the Pentagon placed far too much faith in the benefits of concurrency – that is, building production model aircraft while finishing ground and flight testing. . . .

. . . .

So, while the F-35 program is certainly in much better nick than it was two years ago when most of the new costs — mostly related to concurrency — were unveiled, this little data point demonstrates quite clearly why Adm. David Venlet told us two years ago in his exclusive interview that relying so heavily on concurrency was “a miscalculation.”

“Fundamentally, that was a miscalculation,” Venlet said at the time. “You’d like to take the keys to your shiny new jet and give it to the fleet with all the capability and all the service life they want. What we’re doing is, we’re taking the keys to the shiny new jet, giving it to the fleet and saying, ‘Give me that jet back in the first year. I’ve got to go take it up to this depot for a couple of months and tear into it and put in some structural mods, because if I don’t, we’re not going to be able to fly it more than a couple, three, four, five years.’ That’s what concurrency is doing to us.

. . . .

Last edited:
Engine is still the achilies' heel for all asian countries except Japan.

Discuss all you want..engine is the key to any aircraft's performance. with Russia asking and counting every penny, the chinese stealth fighters and non stealth fighters will have these "operation unit" problems till the homegrown engines can truely replace the ones on J series crafts.
What 5th gen jet fighter engine did jap build?

Not now off course

But in 2030 when India becomes power in its own right, then it won't be following USA direction.

we're not following USA's direction even now,we weren't following it since independence..during most of history,we didn't bother about USA.

Concurrency is an inefficient & ineffective process according to various sources. The efficient way is to finish R&D, and the start mass production. Concurrency does mass production before R&D is finished, thus, the mass produced devices need major fixes.
You mean sources that you like.

There is no consensus on how engineering/manufacturing concurrency is any more/less efficient than the traditional path. If anything, given the stress manufacturers routinely sufferers to deliver products faster than competitors, engineering/manufacturing concurrency is the trend aided by computerized manufacturing, and with the advent of 3D printing, engineering/manufacturing concurrency will cross over the 50% threshold for widespread acceptance.

I was on two aircrafts during my time in the USAF: F-111 and F-16. I lived through the F-16 KAPTON wire fiasco...

Falcon Wire: F-16 Rewiring Program
All F-16 aircraft manufactured by Lockheed Martin prior to 2003 contain wire harnesses insulated with Aromatic Polyimide. This insulated wire is commonly known as "KAPTON" wire or, MIL-W-81381 wire.

...high temperature resistant and strength, time has proven to take a toll, making KAPTON susceptible to degradation, breakdown and ultimately, failure.
The F-18 develop structural vibration issues, specifically affecting the vertical stabs, after it was the deployed to the fleet.

Are you going to condemn both fighters as failures for the traditional method of manufacturing ?

If you want a much more personal relationship with engineering/manufacturing concurrency and does not endanger your life, unlike my F-16 experience, look no further than your PC, specifically the OS. Updates for patches for bug fixes. Windows, Linux, and even Apple.

Our original discussion was about how complete or incomplete the F-35 JSF was. Then we got into a discussion about the definition of complete or incomplete by using colloquial English words versus jargon words from the industry or military. The key word was "operation" or "operational".
In short, you agree with the statement there are 0 operational F-35?

You mean sources that you like.

There is no consensus on how engineering/manufacturing concurrency is any more/less efficient than the traditional path. If anything, given the stress manufacturers routinely sufferers to deliver products faster than competitors, engineering/manufacturing concurrency is the trend aided by computerized manufacturing, and with the advent of 3D printing, engineering/manufacturing concurrency will cross over the 50% threshold for widespread acceptance.

I was on two aircrafts during my time in the USAF: F-111 and F-16. I lived through the F-16 KAPTON wire fiasco...

Falcon Wire: F-16 Rewiring Program

The F-18 develop structural vibration issues, specifically affecting the vertical stabs, after it was the deployed to the fleet.

Are you going to condemn both fighters as failures for the traditional method of manufacturing ?

If you want a much more personal relationship with engineering/manufacturing concurrency and does not endanger your life, unlike my F-16 experience, look no further than your PC, specifically the OS. Updates for patches for bug fixes. Windows, Linux, and even Apple.

That's your opinion, but other opinions exist, and then there are facts. I provided sources with a US Navy admiral and Pentagon official saying that concurrency was a mistake due to unnecessary and huge costs. Anyone with basic intelligence could find a lot more articles about the lousy, nonessential, and expensive concurrency of the F-35 JSF.

Your straw man argument is a failure like the concurrency of the F-35 JSF. I never said the F-35, F-16, or F/A-18 is a failure; that's your insecurity leaking out. I never mentioned the F-16 and F/A-18 at all in this discussion, but you brought them into the discussion about the F-35.

There is a huge difference between the incredibly stupid concurrency of the F-35 JSF (which is allegedly the most expensive weapons program of all time, but far from being the most capable) and the F-16 and F/A-18.

The F-16 and F/A-18 had traditional sequences in which they completed their R&D stage with a few prototype parts and a few prototype aircrafts, and then they were mass produced. Because R&D is imperfect, the mass produced F-16 and F/A-18 had relatively minor problems in regard to the cost of repair, ease of repair, and dangers of the problems.

That's the major difference between concurrency versus a software patch or a product recall. Concurrency increases the probability and significance of problems, while the traditional sequence decreases the probability and significance of problems.

I distrust your personal opinions and other similar opinions, because you have a history of cherry picking information to promote your propaganda and stupidity.

It's obvious for anyone intelligent that you should finish the R&D on the component or the entire device, and then build the component or the entire device. You should not mass produce a part or an entire device while the R&D is in process, then the R&D demands a major or a difficult change to the mass produced parts or entire devices, then you make the changes to the mass produced parts or entire devices, and then you keep repeating this process. The re-manufacturing process or the constant fixes on the incompletely designed and mass produced parts or entire devices increase the problems and costs of the entire program. It gets worse when you put the unfinished parts together, then take them apart, then fix them, then put them back together, and then repeat this mess.

Canada’s second thoughts on F-35 Lightning show concerns about plane’s high cost
Canada’s second thoughts on F-35 Lightning show concerns about plane’s high cost - The Washington Post

. . . .

But as Canada shows, not everyone is sold on what has become the most expensive weapons system in U.S. history. In addition to being a symbol of power, might and mind-bending technology, the next-generation Joint Strike Fighter has, to some, come to represent waste and unwieldiness — in the United States and abroad.

. . . .

Still, the Government Accountability Office recently said that affordability “remains a significant concern” and that “the program is likely to be challenged” to meet cost reduction goals.

While ramping up production would bring the per-plane cost down, it would be unwise to build too many too soon because not all of the necessary testing has been done on the aircraft, said Todd Harrison, director of defense budget studies at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.

. . . .

Additional testing will inevitably reveal problems that need to be fixed, which then cost money to repair, he said. For years, critics of the program, including Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), have said that the United States should never have committed to buying the plane while it was still being developed, saying it violated one of the basic rules of airplane acquisition: “fly before you buy.”

“It gets to the fundamental tension within the JSF — you want to buy more of them because the quicker we buy them, the cost will come down,” Harrison said. “But the faster we buy them, that just increases the concurrency in the program. We’re buying planes that haven’t completed testing and are going to require modifications.”

. . . .

It initially appeared as if Canada was definitely going to buy. Defense officials praised the F-35’s speed and stealth. At a news conference announcing the purchase to buy 65 F-35s in 2010, then-Defense Minister Peter MacKay called it “the best that we can provide our men and women in uniform.”

But two years later, the government put the acquisition on hold after an auditor general’s report suggested the government misled Parliament, saying that key costs over the course of the fleet’s life were much higher than previously stated.

Liberals attacked the conservative government. John McKay, a member of Parliament, called it “deceit and incompetence at the highest levels.” Another member, Ralph Goodale, wrote that theF-35 fiasco exposes dishonesty and incompetence.

As a result, the Harper administration, while denying it misled Parliament, put the purchase on hold and appointed a National Fighter Procurement Secretariat to ensure the Canadian military acquires the right plane.

. . . .

Opinion: Missing Shows Points To Bigger JSF Problems
Opinion: Missing Shows Points To Bigger JSF Problems | Defense content from Aviation Week
Jul 28, 2014

. . . .

The failure was part of a record that program office director Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan complained about a few months back (AW&ST March 31, p. 29). “Parts that we didn’t think were going to break are breaking quicker than we thought,” Bogdan said, characterizing the problem as a “monumental fix—we are not going to see results quickly.” He added that JSF reliability was “woefully below the curve” compared with where it should be at this stage and that already scary operations and support costs would “skyrocket” if reliability problems could not be fixed.

The history of such problems includes four engine-related groundings—two this June, and in January and February last year. After a limited flight release on July 15 ended the latest episode, a Senate panel recommended a reassessment of the 2011 decision to scrap General Electric’s F136, which had been developed as an alternate engine to the F-35.

. . . .

A Big Week for the F-35?
A Big Week for the F-35?
July 11, 2014

. . . .

As major British media has been reporting for some time, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter may be facing a major international marketing embarrassment: It has failed to show up for two of three scheduled (and much ballyhooed) public demonstrations in the United Kingdom. Now, it may miss the main event, a flying demonstration before the world’s aviation community at the Farnborough International Airshow, starting Monday. You see, the F-35 is grounded—again. An engine blew up on take-off at Eglin Air Force Base on June 23 and reportedly burned up much of the plane’s flammable, plastic composite rear fuselage and tail. No F-35s are flying until inspectors know what the problem is and can say it’s safe to fly—at least in the very limited regimes the F-35 has been cleared for. Moreover, even if the F-35 is released to participate at Farnborough, there may be a new problem: weather predictions for next week in England are not good, and the F-35 has real issues flying near thunder- and rainstorms; it even has problems with wet runways.

. . . .

Air Force Maps Out Strategy For Upgrading All Early-Lot F-35As To Block 3F
Air Force Maps Out Strategy For Upgrading All Early-Lot F-35As To Block 3F
February 13, 2014

. . . .

Similar to past aircraft acquisition programs, F-35s have been delivered to the Air Force and other users with increasing capability as time has passed. But the unprecedented level of concurrency built into the JSF acquisition construct means that the first 100 aircraft or so will need to be upgraded -- some on the margins, others more significantly -- to even be considered for operational deployments. The first software load deemed to have limited combat capability is called Block 2B and should be available late next year, while the block expected to contain vastly more combat options, Block 3F, is scheduled to complete flight test in late 2017.

. . . .

The currently confirmed figure, 83 aircraft, represents around 5 percent of the Air Force's F-35A program of record.

In a recent interview, Air Force Col. Sam Shaneyfelt and Lt. Col. David Chace told Inside the Air Force the service is committed to bringing all of its jets up to Block 3F, budget-permitting, as opposed to essentially cutting its losses on the early aircraft and leaving them in a role capable only of basic flight and training operations. Shaneyfelt and Chace are the chief and deputy chief, respectively, of the F-35 system management office at Air Combat Command, which will be responsible for operating the F-35A in the Air Force. ITAF traveled to Langley Air Force Base, VA, to meet with them.

. . . .

The decision to upgrade the fleet in some ways plays into the worst aspect of concurrency, the simultaneous development and production of aircraft, which has led and will lead to costly modifications to already-delivered products just to make them operationally relevant. Those expenses would have been minimized had the Pentagon waited until the program was more mature before beginning procurement. On the other hand, Shaneyfelt and Chace made the case that leaving F-35s the Air Force has already bought in a substandard configuration unwisely limits their utility, creates logistical challenges, increases sustainment costs and probably necessitates funding to upgrade legacy aircraft.

. . . .

Moving from one version of a block to another -- from 1A to 1B, for instance -- is supposed to involve only software refreshes, which cost less, take less time and make aircraft available to the fleet more quickly than hardware work. But Chace said the Air Force had to perform some hardware changes when it modified its Block 1A jets to a 1B configuration, and the same is likely to occur as production F-35s start to move up from Block 2A to Block 2B.

Upgrading from one block to its successor is more significant and more costly. Chace acknowledged that moving aircraft from Block 1B to Block 2A will require hardware and software changes, and the jump from Block 2B to Block 3i will be even more demanding. The contents of Block 2B and 3i software are nearly identical, but they run on different hardware, including a new core processor that is critical for Block 3 capabilities.

. . . .

JSF - GAO Report
Navy Matters: JSF - GAO Report
Friday, March 15, 2013

The GAO [Government Accountability Office] has published its latest report on the F-35 JSF. It’s grim reading. The only thing keeping this program going is that it’s the definition of too-big-to-fail. Well, let’s plunge in and see what’s happening.

. . . .

Moving on, let’s look at the scheduling overruns. As a reminder, in 2001 the JSF was predicted to achieve Initial Operational Capability (IOC) in 2010 after nine years of development. Subsequently, the IOC slipped to 2012 then 2013 then 2015 and now the military has rescinded that estimate and declined to provide a new projected IOC date citing the still too immature level of development. I think it’s safe to say that 2017 would be an optimistic guess and 2018 or beyond would be more likely. That’s pushing two decades to achieve IOC!!!!

Here’s an interesting tidbit demonstrating the problem with concurrency (the practice of building production aircraft before design and testing are finalized).

“Over time, testing has discovered bulkhead and rib cracks. The program is testing some redesigned structures and planning other modifications. Officials plan to retrofit test and production aircraft already built and make changes to the production line for subsequent aircraft.”

. . . .

GAO comments on the effect of concurrency.

“In addition to contract cost overruns, the program is incurring substantial costs to retrofit (rework) produced aircraft needed to fix deficiencies discovered in testing. These costs are largely attributable to the substantial concurrency, or overlap, between testing and manufacturing activities.”

. . . .

(1) Government Accountability Office, F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, Mar 2013, GAO-13-309

US Weapons Man: F-35 Fighter Plan Was 'Acquisition Malpractice'
F-35 Fighter Plan Was 'Acquisition Malpractice', Pentagon Official Says - ABC News
Feb. 7, 2012

. . . .

"I can spend quite a few minutes on the F-35, but I don't want to," Frank Kendall, the Pentagon's Acting Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, said Monday. "Putting the F-35 into production years before the first test flight was acquisition malpractice. It should not have been done, OK? But we did it, OK?"

Kendall, who was speaking at an event hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said that the early production decision was due to "optimistic predictions" based on design tools, simulations and modeling. But he said the design tools weren't perfect, the models weren't precise enough and now the military has found problems in all three variants of the F-35.

"Now we're paying the price for being wrong about that," he said. Kendall was not with the Defense Department's acquisitions office when the F-35 deal was inked with defense contracting giant Lockheed Martin in 2001.

. . . .

When planning the F-35 program, the Pentagon's acquisitions department took a "concurrent" strategy with the F-35 production, meaning the government, along with Lockheed Martin, planned to test the planes as production was ongoing, fixing problems on the assembly line as they're found and getting more planes in the air faster. Production on the F-35 began in 2003, three years before the first official test flight was completed.

The problem, a Department of Defense official told ABC News, is that sometimes critical issues with the jets were found after several of the planes had already been delivered to their military customers. The Pentagon already has nine non-test production jets in its hangers, but the first ever F-35 night flight test was completed just last month.

In fact, the planes are only 20 percent through testing and aren't expected to complete it until 2016, the official said.

Kendall called the errant strategy an "extreme example" of the Pentagon's tendency to put a program into production too early.

Still, both the Defense official and Kendall said the Pentagon remains committed to the F-35 program and that it has been making progress. The F-35 team recently celebrated the program exceeding flight test goals for 2011, according to Lockheed Martin.

. . . .

F-35 fighter jet struggles to take off
F-35 fighter jet struggles to take off - LA Times
June 12, 2013

. . . .

Pressure intensified on the test teams last week when the Marines Corps said it wanted its F-35s to be ready for combat by the end of 2015 — one year earlier than planned. The Air Force also moved up its date, to 2016. The Navy plans to see its F-35s aboard U.S. aircraft carriers by early-2019.

This is an ambitious plan, considering the Government Accountability Office estimated that F-35 flight testing, which has repeatedly fallen behind schedule, is only about one-third complete.

On more than one occasion the Pentagon's director of operational test and evaluation has lowered the plane's performance specifications by reducing turn performance and slowing the acceleration rate.

The most demanding testing still lies years ahead.

. . . .

The GAO estimated the program would cost an unprecedented $12.6 billion a year on average through 2037 — that's an average of about $1.4 million an hour for the next two and a half decades.

The per-plane cost estimates have climbed to $161 million today from $81 million in 2001, the GAO said.

. . . .

Test pilots say some of the F-35's delays can be traced to the concept that computer simulation and modeling would recognize many of the F-35 design problems right away, instead of the old-fashioned method of testing: in the air.

Under this premise, the Pentagon approved a plan to manufacture F-35s while simultaneously testing them. The plan, called concurrency, calls for scores of F-35s to be sent back to Lockheed for rework after testing is done.

Frank Kendall, the undersecretary of defense for acquisition, called this approach "acquisition malpractice" last year and said that predictions were too optimistic.

"Now we're paying the price for being wrong," Kendall said.

There are 61 F-35s already delivered, 81 completely built and others still being assembled at Lockheed's facility in Ft. Worth, Texas. The Pentagon estimated that retrofit costs for the first 90 aircraft will amount to $1.2 billion.

Winslow T. Wheeler, a military budget specialist and frequent Pentagon critic at the Project for Government Oversight, said the decision to test and build the F-35 at the same time was a political move to get federal funding flowing to congressional districts before actual performance of the weapon system was shown.

Lockheed has long had political muscle — the company donated to 425 of 535 Congressional members in the 2012 cycle, according to OpenSecrets.org — and has garnered bipartisan support around the F-35 program.

The company promotes the fact that the F-35 provides 127,000 direct and indirect jobs in 47 states and Puerto Rico. It expects to pump an estimated $6 billion into California's economy this year involving 298 companies and resulting in 28,000 jobs.

"It's a way for the contractor to get the hooks in Congress," he said. "For a contractor, the measure of success in a program is getting it started. Once you get that money rolling in, it doesn't matter whether or not the thing you built works."

. . . .

Two decades ago, officials wanted 648 F-22 fighter jets for $149 million per plane. Eventually, the military ended up with only 188 at a price tag of $412 million each. Before that, the Pentagon wanted 132 new B-2 stealth bombers at about $500 million per plane. It ultimately bought 21 at $2.1 billion each.

. . . .

Steve O'Bryan, a Lockheed vice president, admits the "early effects of concurrency were more disruptive" than the company had initially thought, but that the program is back on track. He said the F-35 will have completed 50% of testing by year's end.

"We're now at a tipping point with this program," O'Bryan said. "We've figured things out, brought costs down, increased orders from international partners."

. . . .

Flight Maneuver Hints at Cause of F-35 Fire
Flight Maneuver Hints at Cause of F-35 Fire | Defense Tech
September 3, 2014

. . . .

Speaking during a defense conference Wednesday at the National Press Club, Air Force Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan said three weeks before an F-35A made by Lockheed Martin Corp. caught fire during takeoff June 23 at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, it was flown in a manner designed to test the performance of its g-force, roll and yaw characteristics within designed limits known as the flight envelope.

While the maneuver only last two seconds or so, it caused excessive rubbing between the titanium blade in the fan section of the F135 engine
made by United Technologies Corp.‘s Pratt & Whitney unit and the surrounding material, Bogdan said. The metal reached temperatures of as high as 1,900 degrees Fahrenheit — compared to the normal level of about 1,000 degrees — and resulted in micro-cracking, he said.

A few weeks later, during the fateful takeoff, the blade came apart and actually pierced the left aft fuel tank, engulfing the rear of the plane in flames, Bogdan said. “It was the fuel tank that caught fire,” he said.

. . . .

The Joint Strike Fighter is the Pentagon’s most expensive weapons acquisition program, estimated to cost a total of $398.6 billion for a total of 2,457 aircraft. That breaks down to a per-plane cost of $162 million, including research and development.

. . . .

There are currently about 100 F-35s in the U.S. fleet, Bogdan said. Pratt & Whitney has delivered roughly 150 F135 engines, he said.

Bogdan said Pratt & Whitney officials have vowed to cover the cost of the engine fix, which will probably include redesigning that part of the propulsion system to create more space in the so-called trench area. He declined to specify how much it will cost until the program office completes a root-cause analysis, expected later this month.

. . . .

Last edited:
The highlighted shows your ignorance in the concept of engineering/manufacturing concurrency. Simply put...What you believe about the concept and its execution is wrong.

As for the generals and admirals you cited, with all due respect to their yrs of service, they are not omniscient. Generals and admirals have been proven wrong -- grossly wrong -- before, especially when it comes to technology. Among the most famous of these errors and lack of innovative thinking is the potential of air power vis-a-vis General Billy Mitchell and the sinking of ships as demonstrators of what air power can do back in 1921. It is interesting that you extolled the F-16 when that aircraft was practically hated by all the men who wore stars and bars on their shoulders at the Pentagon. And look at the F-16 today. Spectacularly successful in terms of innovation, popularity, and production.

Do you really think that engineering/manufacturing concurrency is something new in industries ? As an avionics specialist, any of us can tell you that engineering/manufacturing concurrency is common. Ask any automotive designer/engineer and he/she will tell you the same thing as General Motors with its many subdivisions and their cars sharing the same common platforms for cars and trucks. Same for Ford or Chrysler.

But just in case you object that electronics components and cars are not applicable to support engineering/manufacturing concurrency in aviation, let us see what Boeing and Airbus may have something to say about that, shall we ?

Case Study IBM Airbus PLM Implementation Engineering Concepts | TechDrummer

Boeing 777 Case Study Abstract

What else can we find about the concept of engineering/manufacturing concurrency ?

Concurrent Engineering - organization, levels, examples, definition, school, company, business

Lockheed may not have the market time constraints for the F-35 as GM do for its vehicles, but LM is pressured by the US military because of the aging fleets of its aircrafts and the progress of combat technologies from US adversaries.

But...Basically, YOU, an anonymous face on this little corner of the Internet, knows more about the concept of engineering/manufacturing concurrency than the tens of thousands of engineers, managers, technologists, and corporate chiefs put together. If Lockheed is stupid, then so are General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Boeing, and Airbus, right ?

The above reply made by Gambit to me was made in the message board titled, "F-22 / F-35 5th Generation jets | News & Discussions."

However, our discussion started off in this message board titled, "PLA to buy 700 stealth fighters, says Jane's Defence Weekly." The discussion was initiated by other members talking about how many stealth fighters are available or will be available in China, the US, and other nations.

Once again, Gambit tries to weasel his way out of an intelligent discussion. He shifted the discussion to a message board that promotes the F-35 JSF and incompletely quoted me. Then he provided articles that have nothing to do with the F-35's major problems.

I provided various articles from various sources about the serious problems with the F-35 JSF. Gambit is unable to disprove any of those claims. Instead he cherry picks information, tries to move the discussion to a message board that promotes the F-35, he misquotes people, he uses straw man arguments, and then tosses in irrelevant information.

The above reply made by Gambit to me was made in the message board titled, "F-22 / F-35 5th Generation jets | News & Discussions."

However, our discussion started off in this message board titled, "PLA to buy 700 stealth fighters, says Jane's Defence Weekly." The discussion was initiated by other members talking about how many stealth fighters are available or will be available in China, the US, and other nations.

Once again, Gambit tries to weasel his way out of an intelligent discussion. He shifted the discussion to a message board that promotes the F-35 JSF and incompletely quoted me. Then he provided articles that have nothing to do with the F-35's major problems.

I provided various articles from various sources about the serious problems with the F-35 JSF. Gambit is unable to disprove any of those claims. Instead he cherry picks information, tries to move the discussion to a message board that promotes the F-35, he misquotes people, he uses straw man arguments, and then tosses in irrelevant information.
You want to debate the F-35 ? I moved the discussion to the appropriate location. I did not 'weasel' out of anything. This is so that this thread is not clutter with inappropriate subjects. You want to debate ? I met you. Now go there if you have the courage.

You want to debate the F-35 ? I moved the discussion to the appropriate location. I did not 'weasel' out of anything. This is so that this thread is not clutter with inappropriate subjects. You want to debate ? I met you. Now go there if you have the courage.

Quit weaseling out of the issue. I provided various sources showing that the F-35 is far from completion as of recently and now. Where are your sources that the F-35 is completely ready as of today or in the recent past?

Duel me one vs. one. Quit trying to drag your buddies into this discussion, cuz you lack the brains to deal with me one vs. one. Our discussion started here, it'll continue here, and it'll end here. You are not going to move this discussion to a message board that promotes the F-35.

Back
Top Bottom