What's new

Perth man's kiss had world guessing

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Perth man's kiss had world guessing

Riot police charge as a couple kiss in the streets during Vancouver's hockey riot.

riot_giant_16vnvd5-16vnvd7.jpg

The man photographed kissing his girlfriend in the middle of riots in Vancouver, Canada, this week is from Perth, trying to make it big as a stand-up comedian.

Former Aquinas College student Scott Jones has become an internet sensation with a smooch that has been dubbed by the world's media as "love among the ruins".

Freelance photographer Richard Lam snapped Mr Jones locked in a passionate embrace with Canadian Alexandra Thomas, lying on a road seemingly oblivious of the chaos around him.

Riot police fired tear gas, shops were looted and cars burnt after the Vancouver Canucks lost an ice hockey final to the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night.

Debate has raged online as to whether the photograph was staged, whether the woman was a willing participant or whether it was a romantic moment amidst the chaos.

The Weekend West tracked down Mr Jones and briefly spoke to him yesterday.

He said the media attention was "pretty amazing" and "surreal" but confirmed it was not "love in the ruins".

He said his girlfriend had been knocked down in the riot.

"I was just trying to calm her down," Mr Jones said. "I can't speak to you now, I've got to go."

He has hired celebrity manager Harry M. Miller to handle media inquiries.

Mr Jones' father Brett said he was proud of his son for looking out for his girlfriend during the riot.

"Alex was actually knocked over by the police, she fell to the ground and Scott jumped down and he was just holding her in his arms. He just gave her a kiss basically to say 'it's all OK, I'm here' and the photographer just took a shot at the right moment," Brett Jones said.

"Scott is full of life, he loves travelling, he's a bit of a romantic, he's definitely a gentleman."

170611genkiss1_16vnvd5-16vnvd7.jpg

Photojournalist Lam told the Guardian newspaper he thought that Ms Thomas had been hurt.

"It was complete chaos," he said.

"Rioters set two cars on fire and then I saw looters break the window at a neighbouring department store.

"At that point, the riot police charged right towards us.

"After I stopped running, I noticed in the space behind the line of police that two people were lying in the street with the riot police and a raging fire just beyond them.

"I knew I had captured a 'moment' when I snapped the still forms against the backdrop of such chaos. Everyone has been asking who they are."

Another photograph of the scene, taken from above and posted on Twitter, shows the couple surrounded by a group of men.

William, a witness, told the Vancouver Sun the couple were run over by two riot police officers.

"The girl who was knocked over landed head first on the pavement while her boyfriend landed partially on top of her," he said.

"She was in visible pain, crying, but the two officers gave them a parting shove and moved on.

"Bystanders went to make sure she was OK."

According to one news website, Mr Jones' friend put postings on his Facebook page: "Scotty, do you realise how massive this is?"

Another wrote: "You keep getting played on the news. You're famous!"

The photograph has been compared with other classic kisses, such as a sailor kissing a nurse in Times Square in New York at the end of World War II in 1945.

Perth man's kiss had world guessing - The West Australian

Nice short skirt. LOL.

Amazing!

Vancouver gone nut after they loss to Boston Bruins in Hockey game final championship (game seven). Blamed on goalie Luongo's poor performances.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how you see things when you refuse to read.

The girl was knocked down by the crowd and was hurt, though not seriously. He was trying to calm her down.

calm her down with kiss? lol I did not know that kiss is a treatment of physical pain

I agree i did not read the whole article but just few sentence

calm her down with kiss? lol I did not know that kiss is a treatment of physical pain

I agree i did not read the whole article but just few sentence

Physical, as well as emotional.

A kiss can do wonders! I recommend you practice it more often with your wife/gf, but without a loss of passion.

By the way, have you ever noticed a mother hugging her baby when it's hurt? That too relieves a lot of physical and emotional pain.

Physical, as well as emotional.

A kiss can do wonders! I recommend you practice it more often with your wife/gf, but without a loss of passion.

By the way, have you ever noticed a mother hugging her baby when it's hurt? That too relieves a lot of physical and emotional pain.
i don't agree with physical part because you need medical treatment for physical pain while kiss can give relief to emotional pain :)

yes a kiss can do wonders but not in the middle of road during riots

i don't agree with physical part because you need medical treatment for physical pain while kiss can give relief to emotional pain :)

yes a kiss can do wonders but not in the middle of road during riots

Do you really not understand... or are you needlessly dragging it on?

The guy was trying to 'CALM' her down!!!

While even words can be enough to calm people down, he kissed her to take her focus away from the chaos, but may be you are not aware of what a kiss is like!!!

And NO !! He was NOT carrying ibuprofen pills in his pocket!!!

Darn it buddy, either you have never kissed, or... ah who cares.

Do you really not understand... or are you needlessly dragging it on?

While even words can be enough to calm people down, he kissed her to take her focus away from the chaos, but may be you are not aware of what a kiss is like!!!

And NO !! He was NOT carrying ibuprofen pills in his pocket!!!

Darn it buddy, either you have never kissed, or... ah who cares.

Its all for getting the attention of media and nothing else and western do such things to get the attention. what i meant was that he should take her to the safe place as riots was happening there and police was running on the road while he was trying to be a titanic hero jumping on her gf to calm her down with kiss haha

yes i am not aware what a kiss is like lol :D i did not mean that he had medicine in his pocket what i was trying to say that physical pain need treatment unlike u who said kiss is treatment of physical and emotional pain..its like if someone get accident you start kissing her to make her calm down instead of giving her medical aid..

Nice excuse, so you can start kissing some girl you don't know and when she starts screaming "rape, rape", you can just say, "I was trying to calm her down".

Take my advice - next time on, try to read the passage before commenting on it. You won't have to make such ridiculous statements just to hang in there somehow.

Back
Top Bottom