What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
Don't you guys think its time to buy newer types of M4A1 Block II as well for SOF. Or simply change our supplier because US play sanction sanction every time. Heckler & Koch HK-416 is a good choice. Or maybe Turkish MPT- 55(5.56×45 NATO).
Suitable for SMUs for the time being.

Well sir it is not actually MY idea. :) It is something that SOME people in key decision making posts and people with influence have in mind. I mean, there still are souls our there who will like to pursue an indigenous design. Reasons, i am not sure about but the route/path to that can be exactly same as you mentioned.

Balixd, i was discussing this with two irrelevant people. I say irrelevant as even though they are in POF they are responsible for other equipment (other than gun). During the discussion i was told that YES in general, army is looking to adopt an exported gun by producing it in Pakistan and also that meeting the local requirement and export and being given equal importance in this particular tender (usually the system is procured purely on domestic needs and then we may market it for exports as well). However despite this, there are some people in posts and positions of influence and importance who still have love for a fully home grown solution. Though out numbered and unlikely to change course of things, these peoples have managed to kept the idea alive for now at least in meetings and all. However, the chances of things going on to that route are slim.

Enters PK-18!

The idea was always there, despite some people claiming SCAR being a done deal and discarding the idea of an indigenous gun as ridiculous there were people trying to push things down that route. As i mentioned a couple of years ago, the new gun (imported option with license production, SCAR, Bern or whatever) will be procured in batches and may eventually further help the home grown solution.
Getting a batch of guns and then holding back for some time to see how they perform may well be the case. The idea behind this approach remains the one of an indigenous gun. There still is some support for this idea and we may see that happen. It will be good but if we can just get export permission for any of the three above mentioned guns then there won’t be much need to invest on making a new one for our self.

I am not declaring this as a fact as some would do, just sharing a possibility based on what i have learned from my discussions and meetings with people are POF. Let us see what the future hold for us.

Last edited:
Enters PK-18!

The idea was always there, despite some people claiming SCAR being a done deal and discarding the idea of an indigenous gun as ridiculous there were people trying to push things down that route. As i mentioned a couple of years ago, the new gun (imported option with license production, SCAR, Bern or whatever) will be procured in batches and may eventually further help the home grown solution.

I am not declaring this as a fact as some would do, just sharing a possibility based on what i have learned from my discussions and meetings with people are POF. Let us see what the future hold for us.

Perhaps we should close this thread for us until there is further development in this regard.
Please close , I joined pdf more than 3 years ago because of this thread, except very very few posts this thread is just die hard gun fandom scar bren etc,
Fingers crossed on the pk18

Please close , I joined pdf more than 3 years ago because of this thread, except very very few posts this thread is just die hard gun fandom scar bren etc,
Fingers crossed on the pk18

Competition for new Battle Rifle still undergoing, I think. However, that Scar is better than others or the Bren is good; things are personal opinions as well as research based analysis and findings by informed members. The argument will exist until & unless, there is final confirmation. Just saying.

Competition for new Battle Rifle still undergoing, I think. However, that Scar is better than others or the Bren is good; things are personal opinions as well as research based analysis and findings by informed members. The argument will exist until & unless, there is final confirmation. Just saying.
Yeah , to be honest anything is better than g3+Type56 , before pk18 I liked scar but knew it's expensive, but now since pk18 is out we should go for local even if it has a few minor short comings ( if it does at all ) and improve it over iterations as that will save a lot of forex plus if the Pakistan army choose it after it passes tests, we are known for our strict quality control , then others would wish to trial it too if so on limited basis initially

Yeah , to be honest anything is better than g3+Type56 , before pk18 I liked scar but knew it's expensive, but now since pk18 is out we should go for local even if it has a few minor short comings ( if it does at all ) and improve it over iterations as that will save a lot of forex plus if the Pakistan army choose it after it passes tests, we are known for our strict quality control , then others would wish to trial it too if so on limited basis initially

Self reliance shall be the ambition and is only way forward in modern day warfare. You have a platform of your own choice, need & requirement as well as an in dependency which saves the Money as well. I see that PK-18 & PK21SMG may lead to a potent yet high quality product in hand of military. It is a good start and honestly, expectations are high seeing its furnishing at this moment. I will personally, want a home made solution instead of reliance on foreign market. POF is going through upgradation as well and we can expect a quality product in the end.

Self reliance shall be the ambition and is only way forward in modern day warfare. You have a platform of your own choice, need & requirement as well as an in dependency which saves the Money as well. I see that PK-18 & PK21SMG may lead to a potent yet high quality product in hand of military. It is a good start and honestly, expectations are high seeing its furnishing at this moment. I will personally, want a home made solution instead of reliance on foreign market. POF is going through upgradation as well and we can expect a quality product in the end.
Same, wish It can reach training institutions soon,
A army man would feel much more proud holding a weapon that's ' apni ' ,

MG3 could be replaced doubt PA will want to do that tho.

Improvements to MG3 on other hand are very possible. Like a belt fed back pack version would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom