What's new

‘Pakistan’s economy will collapse in the next 10 years’

Status
Not open for further replies.
KARACHI: Education is linked with economic prosperity but the education sector in Sindh is underperforming despite the fact that Rs700 million of the province’s annual development budget has been allocated to the education sector, said Education Minister Jam Mehtab Hussain Dahar.

“Pakistan’s economy is going to collapse like that of Greece’s in the next 10 years,” he warned. Dahar was addressing the inauguration ceremony of a conference, titled ‘International Conference on Transforming Economic Development: Policies and Strategies’, organised by the Applied Economics Research Centre (AERC) at the ICCBS, Karachi University on Tuesday. “Pakistan has been divided into haves and have-nots classes,” he said.

Like other flourishing countries, Pakistan has to manage according to its own environment to achieve the international Sustainable Development Goals, he said.

prof-dr-samina-khalil22112016-1479840412.jpg

Pakistan is facing enormous challenges such as illiteracy, poverty, inequalities, corruption, energy and governance issues that have had a direct negative impact on the economic development and growth of the country, he pointed out.

“Pakistan is heading towards a social and economic hurricane that will cause great damage,” said AERC director Prof Dr Samina Khalil, adding that the economic hurricane will sweep away much of the current economy and Pakistan’s assumptions about the future.

The three-day conference aims to devise development policies and strategies for the transformation of the economy of Pakistan, explained Dr Khalil. It is providing a forum for discussion among renowned national and international academics, researchers, practitioners, policy makers and students, she said.

Seconding the education minister, economist Dr Kaiser Bengali said that Pakistan has been divided into two classes, the haves and have-nots. “The country’s exports are being reduced as compared to imports, which have increased,” he said, pointing out that the deficit created from this difference between exports and imports is mounting up debts.

Tension with India is extremely harmful for us, said Pakistan Institute of Development Economics vice-chancellor Dr Asad Zaman. “Pakistan needs to rethink and reconfigure trading patterns; self-sufficiency is the need of the hour,” said Zaman.

A total of 32 research papers will be presented in the conference.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 23rd, 2016.

10 years is a bit too lenient don't you reckon. I thought 5 was generous.

10 years is a bit too lenient don't you reckon. I thought 5 was generous.

Well you indians masturbate over that thought every milli second so i would reckon that setting a 5 year goal might constipate your mind to death.

I have been hearing this since I was a kid...
"Pakistan tareekh k nazuk mord se guzr rha hae"

“Pakistan’s economy is going to collapse like that of Greece’s in the next 10 years,” he warned.
CPEC? :unsure:

I have been hearing this since I was a kid...
"Pakistan tareekh k nazuk mord se guzr rha hae"
That made me laugh.... We also used to hear something similar in India.... "....naazuk stithi...." especially early 90's.

My personal opinion is the world can ill-afford to let an atomic quwat collapse. Too dangerous.

KARACHI: Education is linked with economic prosperity but the education sector in Sindh is underperforming despite the fact that Rs700 million of the province’s annual development budget has been allocated to the education sector, said Education Minister Jam Mehtab Hussain Dahar.

“Pakistan’s economy is going to collapse like that of Greece’s in the next 10 years,” he warned
. Dahar was addressing the inauguration ceremony of a conference, titled ‘International Conference on Transforming Economic Development: Policies and Strategies’, organised by the Applied Economics Research Centre (AERC) at the ICCBS, Karachi University on Tuesday. “Pakistan has been divided into haves and have-nots classes,” he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 23rd, 2016.

The PURPOSE of this statement was to just make the noise .... that a conference is been held ..... it is NOTHING more than click bait !!! & coming out of of a Provincial Minister is sickening ... but thn when you Know we are talking about ... Pee Pee Pee MPA ... all make sense ....

Can the Honorable Provincial minster explain what he HIMSELF has done in the capacity of education Minister .. what thr OWN Party have done to NOT let that happen atleast in Sindh .... The number cruncher for sindh rate it very low in comparison to its own country standards (& they are not very high) .. sindh is worst condition and karachi offsets some of its image else the situation is worst than Baluchistan .... !!!!!!

Agani nothing more than a click bait & nothing much will be done except Tea & biscuits for the event attendees for Three days (the Bill of which will run in Millions) !

Had an economist said it ..... atleast we can have a debate .. but MBBS from Liaquat Medical College Jamshoro and Making News Headlines of claiming to voice the upcoming doomsday !

KARACHI:

Dahar was addressing the inauguration ceremony of a conference, titled ‘International Conference on Transforming Economic Development: Policies and Strategies’, organised by the Applied Economics Research Centre (AERC) at the ICCBS, Karachi University on Tuesday. “Pakistan has been divided into haves and have-nots classes,” he said.

http://www.pas.gov.pk/index.php/members/profile/en/31/488

Member Profile
Jam Mehtab Hussain Dahar
PS-5 GHOTKI-I

Profession(s) Landlord

OH the IRONY !!!!!!!

I believe they make such predicts every year, year after year.
That should be their major job.

A state with big population of unity and patriotic spirits, enormous sources, brilliant geographical location and strong military power, how can they still find the trend of decreasing?

They must have a very special logic.

i have also heard world will end in 2020

Doomsday for Pakistan's economy was predicted in 1998 but we are still standing. After 10 years there will be another 10 year deadline.

with all due respect to the OP

This is a nonsense news published in ET. Its not even worth discussion in my opinion

Pakistan's economy is rising as per the latest trend in the reports and there have nor been such setbacks even hinting towards the nonsense published in the news article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom