What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

jaman_thakkar said:
well what to prove???PHALCON IS THE WORLDS MOST ADVANCED AIRBORNE EARLY WARNING SYSTEM...even more advanced than NATO's E-3 C sentry which uses machanically rotating antenna(rotodome) so let alone eyrie...

this link will prove that phalcon is the worlds most advanced awacs.(read carefully)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/phalcon.htm

The link didn't say that phalcons can easily jam the elctronics of eyrie.:sniper:

Owais said:
The link didn't say that phalcons can easily jam the elctronics of eyrie.:sniper:

Plus i dont see any comparison where it can say that Phalcon has ablility to counter Eireye or E-3. Else there's got to be some thing of because PAF choose Eireye. I wont neglect that Phalcon is'nt advance, but i wanna know how it is different from other AWACS systems or what kind of superiority it has?, if there is any:what: .

The link I posted just to show that it is the most advanced early warning system.and it is clearly written there...besides I have lost so many sources which I always keep in DOC files becuz of the virus in my PC.but according to those sources phalcon has tremandous ability to jam the electronics of the most of the awacses.this was the main reason that america opposed isreal from selling it to china.this was the main reason that india gave up the idea to go for russian mainstay awacs as it could be jammed by E-3 which is in saudia airforce and its possibility to get into PAF's hands during the war.anyway if i get some free time from my busy schedule i will surely search again for those sources...

China already has a counter measurement of Phalcon AEW&Cs.

Pictures is attached. The big plane is the one with Phalcon like AEW&Cs.

China's Third AEW Program

BEIJING - The Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force (CPLAAF) has introduced a new airborne early warning aircraft, based on its new Y-8F-600, a development of the Antonov An-12 airframe. The new aircraft is fitted with a conventional E-2C Hawkeye-style rotodome that rotates to give a 360-degree coverage. Little is known about the performance of the radar system fitted on the new Y-8 AEW. The aircraft's rotodome appears to be larger than that of the E-2C Hawkeye. The aircraft has a solid nose, which replaces the original glazed nose on the Y-8 design. A pair of vertical stabilizers is fitted on the tips of the tail-plane to enhance directional stability.

This is the third type of airborne early warning aircraft to be introduced by the CPLAAF in recent years. The An-12 airframe has previously been used for a program based around a linear-shaped, electronically steered, phased-array (ESA) radar that appears similar in shape and size to the Swedish Ericsson PS-890 Erieye. The aircraft made its maiden flight in November 2001. The finalized variant, nick-named "Balance Beam" from the shape of its radar, is based on the Y-8F600 and first flew in January 2005. Assuming the Balance Beam radar has similar performance to the PS-890, it would provide a maximum search range of up to 450 kilometers. As a phased-array radar, the system should be capable of 'spot' modes as well as wide search modes, enabling it to be used for ground mapping and targeting acquisition.

The second type of Chinese AEW aircraft is a very different concept. The Kongjing-2000 (KJ-2000) is based on the Russian-made A-50 (NATO codename: Mainstay) airframe outfitted with the Chinese-made, electronically steered, phased-array (ESA) radar and C3I system. At least three prototypes have been built since 2002. The aircraft is expected to be ready for operational deployment by 2006-07.

The KJ-2000 was originally intended to be equipped with the Israeli Phalcon airborne early warning (AEW) radar and associated C3I system. In May 1997, Israel and Russia reached agreement on modifying one A-50 for $250 million, with the option of three more AWACS for a total cost of $1 billion. Russia secured about 20 percent of the deal. After some delay, in October 1999, Russia transferred an A-50 airframe to Israel for the installation of the Phalcon AEW radar system. By May 2000, Israel had nearly completed work on the aircraft under the designation A-50I. Following pressure from the U.S. government, the Israeli government cancelled the deal with China in July 2000.

In place of the Phalcon radar, the Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technology developed its own active phased-array radar using Israeli-made Phalcon radar and other onboard electronic systems retrieved from the unfinished A-50I. Although the radar installation looks like a rotodome, it does not rotate. The KJ-2000's radar antenna modules are placed in a triangular configuration inside the round radome to provide a 360-degree coverage.

The existence of three parallel AEW programs is an excellent illustration of the importance placed by the Chinese armed forces on the capability offered by these aircraft. In particular, AEW capability has been seen by the military as vital to obtain air superiority over the Taiwan Strait. The earliest Chinese AEW prototype flew in the mid-1980s and consisted of a French Tiger radar carried in a Tu-4 (a B-29 derivative). All three of the current programs represent a major advance on that primitive testbed. The latest type of AEW aircraft is significantly less advanced than the earlier two programs and uses older technology. The most likely rationale for its development is that it is an insurance program intended to provide an interim AEW capability in the event of more advanced systems experiencing developmental problems.

Image: http://www.pakistaniforces.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=49

ISLAMABAD (May 28 2006): Swedish defence equipment manufacturing company, Saab, has agreed to supply 'Airborne Warning and Control System' (Awacs) to Pakistan on liberal terms of 'supplier-credit' of $1 billion, and transfer of technology.

Sources in the Cabinet here told Business Recorder that it was necessary to acquire latest the Awacs to safeguard the country's air defence. "Efforts to acquire such a system were being made since 1997 and, after a number of trials and evaluation of different systems in the world, Pakistan Air Force finally selected the Swedish system in 2004," sources quoted Defence Ministry officials as briefing the Cabinet on last Wednesday.

They said that the system would comprise 'Saab' aircraft, mounted with Ericson computer-based software technology. They said that technical and commercial offers were evaluated and, after intense negotiations, a financial and technological package, with an attractive offset package, was agreed upon with the company.

They said that one Cabinet member asked Defence Ministry officials that the offset facilities should include training of Pakistan's software engineers.

It may be remembered that the Cabinet in its May 24 meeting had approved purchase of the latest surveillance aircraft--Awacs--for PAF from Sweden.

http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=431079&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

Neo said:
Erieye is the ideal platform within the requirements of PAF and it comes cheap.
We had other options including US and Chinese design.
any details of american AWACS on offer to paksitan???

ajaybhutani said:
any details of american AWACS on offer to paksitan???
I guess webmaster has already given details for the chinese option, and the other option available is the HAWK EYE, E-2, which PAF would unlikely to go for.

melb4aust said:
I guess webmaster has already given details for the chinese option, and the other option available is the HAWK EYE, E-2, which PAF would unlikely to go for.
the statement i was responding to was
We had other options including US
So i was simply asking for a link for options from US.... Did they offer any AWACS to paksitan at all??

ajaybhutani said:
the statement i was responding to was

So i was simply asking for a link for options from US.... Did they offer any AWACS to paksitan at all??

I Think i have already mentioned E-2 Hawkeye, better read some thing carefully.

melb4aust said:
I Think i have already mentioned E-2 Hawkeye, better read some thing carefully.
but u didnt give a link for it..did u ? i am just asking u to support ur statement..

China reveals Y-8 AEW

Take notice guys, first ever ingeniously built Chinese AEW system. There adversaries now has much much more to worry about now against the PLAAF capabilities. Like Gcapo had just said..

Quote:
"When China rises the world will tremble"-Gcapo.

ajaybhutani said:
but u didnt give a link for it..did u ? i am just asking u to support ur statement..

During that time period the Pakistan Air Force's Air Defense system had gone through massive modernization; including the induction and integration of new land-based AN/TPS-47 radars and new Crotale Surface-to-Air missiles. Attempts to acquire a new AWACS aircraft were also made - with the E-3 Sentinel being desired, however the U.S would not sell it and instead offered the sub-par E-2 Hawkeye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_Air_Force
http://www.answers.com/topic/pakistan-air-force

Another one
Read article number 18
http://www.heritage.org/Research/AsiaandthePacific/asb66.cfm

Even if thats not enough here's another1
http://worldaffairsboard.com/printthread.php?t=3936&pp=50

ajaybhutani said:
this link is surely nough for me :D..
thnx.

Thankgod, you was almost gonna take my heart out.....

or i was gonna do something to ya:D1instead

All future pakistani fighters will presumably be datalinked with the eireye. The jf-16 and J-10 might be equiped with the DATALINK-16 the same advanced datalink used is the gripen and some missiles. Even without datalink-16 the jf-17 will still have a considerably better datalink than most fighters and any fighter in the iaf

Back
Top Bottom