What's new

Pakistan's acquisition of the U-214

Report: German Submarine Deal With Pakistan Goes Quiet

Dubai’s Khaleej Times relays a Der Spiegel report that Germany has approved a sale to Pakistan of 3 top-of-the-line Type 214 diesel-electric submarines with Air-Independent Propulsion. An export financing credit of EUR 1 billion euros ($1.36 billion equivalent) has reportedly been offered.

The catch? No contract. Contract negotiations were dragging out, and any contract is ultimately dependent on approval from Germany’s national security council, an inner cabinet of ministers with security portfolios. Pakistan’s insurgency has become a civil war, and recent Taliban advances are causing international observers to worry about the Pakistani government’s potential for collapse, or for a Taliban-backed coup led by the likes of Hamid Gul. In Germany, those developments reportedly led Germany’s national security council to take time away from serious matters like government efforts to ban paintball, and adjourn further deliberation on the Pakistani submarine sale until after September 2009.

If Pakistan buys the U-214s, they would join 3 new French Agosta 90B class diesel-electric boats equipped with MESMA AIP systems, and 2 Agosta 70 submarines commissioned in 1979-1980. The U-214s sit alongside the U-212As as the most modern submarines in the U-209 family, the world’s most popular line of diesel-electric submarines. Their Siemens AIP systems allow them to run submerged at reduced speeds for up to 2-3 weeks without surfacing for air, or at full speed for a shorter period of time.

did somebody noticed the Bold comments?

thats funny for me, and lets just hope The germans national security counsil approve again

Our only perceived enemy is India. Now that a conventional war with India appears unlikely; do we really need to spend in excess of a billion dollars on new submarines when these may never fire a single shot in anger?

IMO this may be a blessing in disguise. We are in the midst of social and economic crisis. Need of the hour is national introspection. Firstly, the deal being called off will not allow Mr. 10% to get his share in the commission. Secondly, I would rather see the money spent in improving infra structure in FATA and Swat areas and on education.

I am not advocating that we should abandon the idea altogether. Once our coffers are full, we can always buy submarines and naval ships. Do you really think that while we are asking for international aid for the IDP’s; we should go ahead and sign billion contract for U-214’s

Our only perceived enemy is India. Now that a conventional war with India appears unlikely; do we really need to spend in excess of a billion dollars on new submarines when these may never fire a single shot in anger?

IMO this may be a blessing in disguise. We are in the midst of social and economic crisis. Need of the hour is national introspection. Firstly, the deal being called off will not allow Mr. 10% to get his share in the commission. Secondly, I would rather see the money spent in improving infra structure in FATA and Swat areas and on education.

I am not advocating that we should abandon the idea altogether. Once our coffers are full, we can always buy submarines and naval ships. Do you really think that while we are asking for international aid for the IDP’s; we should go ahead and sign billion contract for U-214’s

Niaz Saheb.
While I fully understand and agree with your sentiments, the problem with PN is that it is hopelessly outclassed and out numbered.Whereas PAF and PA have got some indigenous supplies and infrastructure, PN's case has already been neglected for long.Given the time frame involved in manufacturing, and inducting and becoming used to a platform, we are talking a decade plus. I think this is the crux of our problem and why it needs to be NOW or ASAP.
I hope you understand where I am coming from
WaSalam
Araz

the deal has gone quiet cause french want zardari to cancel the german deal and buy more frence subs, ofcourse mr.10% will get more than 10% commission. thats the reason why its stalling, and french are saying we will give u nuclear plant for ur energy needs but they are lying, just like they did in 70's and 90's

BINGO! Hit the Nail on the Head! :enjoy:

Ex-CNS Masoor ul Haq wants the French in, he has got Zardari's support and that is one of the reasons Zardari was in France playing chummy with Sarkozy!

Navy and current CNS want the Germans.

Good Match!

BINGO! Hit the Nail on the Head! :enjoy:

Ex-CNS Masoor ul Haq wants the French in, he has got Zardari's support and that is one of the reasons Zardari was in France playing chummy with Sarkozy!

Navy and current CNS want the Germans.

Good Match!

here's a new one - Ex-CNS has more clout than the current CNS!:crazy:

I think Araz sb opinion is good although Niaz Sb has also given some good ideas and prob that our country is facing regarding economy

I think Araz sb opinion is good although Niaz Sb has also given some good ideas and prob that our country is facing regarding economy

AOA yes you guys are right in this scenario.Now we have to see in past after 71 we were taking last breaths but Mr zulfiqar ali Bhutto starts nuclear program and now we have it .For nation all these things are important but soverienty and respect is first .:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:
Now guys I have a bit concern about french activities (because they will be the loosers if we cemented the contract with germans):mod:

Last edited:
Hi,

Is this the same Mansoor ul Haq extradited from the u s of a during Musharraf's regime for taking bribes.

I am with Neo on this.From what little i have read and posted earlier, the deal is still on and due for signature sometime next yr(did not know the date___ Thanks Neo) The reason for delay officially appears to be that IMF and other donors will go bezerk if we signed a big deal while stilll out with a begging bowl. The Turkish angle was put forward to people and they just kept quiet. So I dont know is the answer to that one. Rest one can go on assuming all you want.
WaSalam
Araz

I am with Neo on this.From what little i have read and posted earlier, the deal is still on and due for signature sometime next yr(did not know the date___ Thanks Neo) The reason for delay officially appears to be that IMF and other donors will go bezerk if we signed a big deal while stilll out with a begging bowl. The Turkish angle was put forward to people and they just kept quiet. So I dont know is the answer to that one. Rest one can go on assuming all you want.
WaSalam
Araz

Delay is also due to elections in Germany ... Merkel may get negative publicity for signing a deal with Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom