British Navy nuclear sub malfunction plunged vessel into 'danger zone'

etylo

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Navy nuclear sub malfunction plunged vessel into 'danger zone'​

Story by Sian Elvin • 1d

1700562657103.jpeg

The Vanguard class sub was equipped with Trident nuclear missiles (Picture: PA)

A Royal Navy submarine equipped with Trident nuclear missiles suffered a huge malfunction which plunged it into the ‘danger zone’.

The Vanguard Class sub was carrying 140 crew members in the Atlantic when its depth gauge suddenly failed, it was reported.

A source told The Sun: ‘It’s not the engineers’ job to control the sub’s depth but they saw how deep they were and realised something was wrong.

‘Technically the sub was still at a depth where we know it can operate, but if it ever has to go that deep the whole crew is piped to action-stations.

‘That hadn’t happened. The sub wasn’t supposed to be there, and it was still diving. And if it had carried on going, it doesn’t really bear thinking about.’

The incident caused panic on board but engineers managed to stop the submarine and its nuclear reactor from plunging at the last moment.

It is thought the depth indicators stopped working, so its crew falsely believed the sub was level when it was actually diving deeper into the ocean.

1700562696787.jpeg

An engineer pictured inside one of the nuclear submarines in 2019 (Picture: AFP via Getty Images)

But engineers later found a second gauge indicating they were headed towards the ‘danger zone’.

Military Today reported the maximum operational depth of this type of vessel is around 500 metres, but it is not known exactly what depth was reached by the Vanguard.

The Royal Navy has four Vanguard Class submarines – HMS Vanguard, Vengeance, Victorious and Vigilant – but it is unknown which one was involved.

Two of the vessels are currently out of operation, as one is being refitted and another is undergoing sea trials.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...-zone-nearly-killing-all-140-crew/ar-AA1kdDT1

Last edited:
Looks like a worn out nuke sub from some age, it's not surprising that the accident happened.

The British have ben eagerly cursing Chinese nuke subs in having accidents lately, I guess the karma goes around and will get back to them sooner or later.

Last edited:
it was HMS Victorious carrying 2 trident MIRV nuclear missiles with 8 nukes each

I am not sure about the above pic but damm

these subs look like rust buckets

they resemble some of the 40 yr old subs operated by china

it was HMS Victorious carrying 2 trident MIRV nuclear missiles with 8 nukes each

LOl, Chinese navy doesn't have any 40 yrs old subs in operation fgs, where do you get this crap info. maybe Indian subs. Chinese subs are well maintained and never looked/look this crappy rusty.

Last edited:

If I remember well it was said that this sub was on duty for 4 months (with several crews) without coming back to base. So....

Yeah sure , your underster orchestra aka the Han class is pretty modern lol. So are your type35s.
Are you that ignorant ? These two types of subs all had retired now and they are not even 40 years old.

Last edited:

12 Trident

and this is more or less human error anyway, the gauge was broken yes, but there should be a second set of eyes watching the sub, there are several way to know the sub is diving and not leveling, from the backup gauge, dive plane, ballast tank and so on, no one notice that mean this is some sort of human error with a gauge broken because someone is not watching what they should have been watching

The sub is mechanically sound, otherwise they wouldn't be able to pull up from the dive and get back to surface. I suspect someone in that crew is going to lose their job.

That said, this boat is 40 years old, the new one is currently building and will be in service in 5-6 years

They are conditioning the UK public to to waste more money on more nuke subs.

The UK has no more manufacturing base, it will be a liability for them to keep the nuclear subs.

The state of UK military is abysmal , UK cant even have enough budget to keep their already minuscule military running. Their pursuit of super expensive weapons drained them of all remaining treasury.

Argentine can talk malvinas island in easy mode this time as UK cant even send invasion force to malvinas

The state of UK military is abysmal , UK cant even have enough budget to keep their already minuscule military running. Their pursuit of super expensive weapons drained them of all remaining treasury.

Argentine can talk malvinas island in easy mode this time as UK cant even send invasion force to malvinas
The royal Navy still packs a punch for it's size, they're getting brand new type 26 and type 31 frigates and the astute class is more advanced than anything china has. The RN can definitely muster up an carrier task force and still send it halfway across the world.

The royal Navy still packs a punch for it's size, they're getting brand new type 26 and type 31 frigates and the astute class is more advanced than anything china has. The RN can definitely muster up an carrier task force and still send it halfway across the world.
Yeah, you Indians can keep serving and worshipping your masters as before.

Yeah, you Indians can keep serving and worshipping your masters as before.
You know how much of a foul mouth you are ? You're the most retarded person I know on this forum apart from a few others. Presenting logical arguments is not your forte

Back
Top Bottom