What's new

Pakistanis Throng for Funeral of Man Hanged for Killing Critic of Blasphemy Laws

I live in the UK where there is no death penalty. I am neither in favour nor against it. For example if someone kills my wife and or my children in front of me, say during a robbery, I would support death penalty for the killer and feel justified in killing him personally if he gets off in the courts, without worrying what would happen to me afterwards.

On the other hand, I also believe that Mercy is a divine virtue and perhaps it may have been better if despite the heinous crime; Mumtaz Qadri’s sentence could have been commuted to life imprisonment by the President.

With all of the above said and done, I despair about the mind-set of a very large section of the society which includes lawyers & judges. Pray tell me, what kind of justice we can expect from the Courts if the Judges & Lawyers support extra judicial killing? Wouldn’t it lead to complete break-down of Law & Order? But what do you expect in a country where leaders of Jamaat Islami consider TTP butchers “Shaheed”. IMO if anyone is to be tried for Treason against the State of Pakistan, it should be the bigot Munawwar Hasan. Is this the kind of country for which more than 20 millions were displaced and about a million lost their lives in 1947? Irony being that the very people who opposed it; like the JUI & the Jammat Islaami; now claim to be its "Guardians"!

I quote the following paragraph from an article published in the Dawn of today.

Death handed out by the state then adds to the tableau of righteous and unrighteous deaths that is under way in Pakistan. There are two sides to this: on one are those who believe in the state, in the law, in a process and in a faith that does not permit the taking of lives by individuals who, like Qadri, imagine themselves as judge. On the other side, are those who are beguiled by the blood-laden rhetoric that embraces vigilante justice and centralises death as an act of faith, even when it is unjustly imposed on others.

The iterations of this second kind have been seen time and again in Pakistan, and increasingly openly; right-wing clerics in the country’s mosques talk time and again of categories of people, the killing of whom is permissible. It is an invocation to all who will listen to become Mumtaz Qadri. Sadly, there are millions that listen and among those millions are some thousands that silently sympathise and some hundreds that actively join the rosters of militant organisations. Death, the embrace of it, the imposition of it on innocent others, is central to this conversion.

Unquote.

Full article is here

The end of Qadri - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom