What's new

Pakistani origin female activists raped in Benghazi: Libyan officials

Libyans Demand Death Sentence to Rapists in Benghazi
30/03/2013 14:26:00

A number of participants in the humanitarian convoy that was heading to Gaza passing through Benghazi.

Tripoli— Reacting to the news of the rape crime that was committed in Benghazi against three British women who were part of a humanitarian convoy carrying aid to Gaza, the Libyan public have demanded death sentence to the perpetrators of the heinous crime.

Social media networks carried the strongest condemnations against those who committed the act and demanded the authorities to hang them in public in the Tahrir Square in Benghazi where the Libyan uprising against the Gaddafi regime first started on 17 February 2011.

Benghazi security officials announced Friday that they had arrested four people two of whom have already confessed of the crime of committing the act of rape and two others as accomplices.

The police are hunting down two more men who took part in the rape case. The two have been named by the ones currently under arrest.
The arrested individuals include Abdullah M. Araibi, 28, Nabil Ali Faitouri, 24, Ibrahim Abdulati Aawami and Mohsen Thiyab El-Ziyani. All of them members of the infantry brigade 319 of the Libyan army.

Both Faitouri and El-Ziyani did not attack the women directly but played a part in helping the others and concealed information about the incident.

Over 98 percent of social media commentators on the incident condemned the perpetrators and called for a speedy conclusion of the case with capital punishment so others may be prevented from committing other crimes.

They say the perpetrators do not represent the Libyan people or the city of Benghazi and that the legal authorities must apply the death sentence in this and similar cases.

“Rape is a crime that is unsurpassed by no other. Those who commit it are only the scum of community, villainous and the decadent… I tell these criminals the curse of God is upon you and your parents who did not teach you not to transgress the innocent,” wrote one commenting on the news.

The five people, all British citizens of Pakistani origin, were abducted at a check point outside Benghazi were in their way to the airport to fly back to Britain.

They had been travelling, without visas, with a humanitarian convoy to Gaza that began its journey in London passing through Spain, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisian and Libya where it was stuck at the borders with Egypt.

Egyptian border guards refused to let the convoy enter, and on Monday the five activists, including a father and two of his daughters, returned to Benghazi and decided to go to the airport on the next day to leave Libya.

Libya’s deputy prime minister, Awad al-Barassi, visited the victims in the hospital and told reporters that Libya would hunt down the criminals.

Libyans Demand Death Sentence to Rapists in Benghazi

I will repeat my response here:

IMO, women (foreigners) should not visit war-torn/unstable nations for humanitarian missions; men should do the humanitarian work themselves and not bring their female relatives to assist them in such regions. In addition, international organizations should refrain from sending female employees in such regions.

B/W The lack of foresight of the father of these two girls is also deplorable. Common sense is not very common these days.

Reference thread: http://www.defence.pk/forums/social-issues-current-events/242826-pakistani-women-raped-libya.html

@HAIDER

How is this topic a strategic or geopolitical issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will repeat my response here:

Reference thread: http://www.defence.pk/forums/social-issues-current-events/242826-pakistani-women-raped-libya.html

@HAIDER

How is this topic a strategic or geopolitical issue?
Why not ? . Don't know if you take it just a rape victims? .
Now its geopolitical issue, its attack on respectable women of our society and Pakistani,who were out for some good cause and are victim ? .
If people think its just another rape ,,,then let it go. But not for me and not for any proud Pakistani.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not ? . Don't know if you take it just a rape victims? .
Now its geopolitical issue, its attack on respectable women of our society and Pakistani,who were out for some good cause and are victim ? .
If people think its just another rape ,,,then let it go. But not for me and not for any proud Pakistani.
Keep in mind following:

- Strategy refers to a plan to accomplish some goals.

- Geopolitics refers to a study of the influence of such factors as geography, economics, and demography on the politics and especially the foreign policy of a state

Unless their were political motives behind this deplorable incident; I don't perceive it as a strategic and geopolitical issue.

Libya is currently not an ideal country for foreign women to be working in even for humanitarian cause. Law and order situation is weak and instability is high; wars do not leave a pleasant environment behind in a region where they are fought. Any sane adult would know the RISKS involved in venturing in to unstable regions; in this case, I find that common sense is not very common indeed.

What they did to Qadaffi was horrible and barbaric....the word barbaric is derived from berbers for a reason, most of the libiyans are racially berber

Why blame Libya as a whole, the situation there is messed up. No one knows who is who and then sexually frustrated fighters doing god knows what throughout the country.

There will come a day when Pakistan will be an economic powerhouse, this inevitable.

Then we will teach these arabs who their master is.

Back
Top Bottom