What's new

Pakistani Ballistic Missiles: Indigenous Content & Development

Windy,Oscar. the Infographic was created by me. I bumped into this thread and you guys rubbishing my hard work. Very naughty of you :)
Welcome to the forum. :)
The stats were based on a similar Indian missile Agni-3 . Same/similar range hence the Apogee must be same or similar. Terminal velocity of Agni-3 is stated as greater than mach-12 , but in high high trajectory it can reach mach 15. Agni-3 Apogee for a range of 2200 Km was 384Km. I wrote Shaheen-2 Apogee for 2000Km as 300Km which was a safe estimate based ion known facts about a similar missile.
The assumption here that similar ranges will give similar apogees is a bit flawed. It depends on the quality of fuel grain and therefore speed. So if the speed is higher the apogee would be lesser (trajectory flattening). So basically these are all assumptions unless accurate data is provided.

terminal radar guidance has been mentioned by many defense analysts. Pakistan has been working on a radar based terminal guidance system for many years. So that is not fantasy .
Negative, those analysts are wrong. There is absolutely no indication of any physical structure present on the warhead which could house a radar seeker (reference Pershing-II, biconical nose design with no carbon-carbon reentry shield).

Changing trajectory for dodging Incoming ABM fire was an assumption made on the basis of sideways rocket motors fitted to warhead assembly of shaheen-2. Earlier pics had black dots on sides of the warhead. You can google those pics. Those round black dots were said to be sideways rocket motors by many.
Again that is an assumption. There is also probability that the black dots are in fact antenna arrays for communication or optics windows for a celestial navigation system, and the course correction is instead achieved by a gimballed hydrazine engine.
Coming to the "dodging" part, there is only enough fuel for the correction system to correct the trajectory in space. Furthermore, the reentry vehicle has to be put on the correct course as soon as the boost phase terminates to avoid cumulative error. So there isn't any time for "dodging".

A telemetry video for Agni-3 is available on youtube and vimeo search for
AGNI 3 BALLISTIC MISSILE LAUNCH NUCLEAR MISSILE , INDIA |(i cannot post video or url)|

Based on this video of a similar missile to shaheen-2 a calculation was done by me

I divided the parabolic path in two right angle triangles for simplicity and the resultant speed was mach 12. But if i had done true spherical trigonometric calculations the distance covered in the same time must have come ot to me bore and speed must have come out to be more than mach 12. hence the assumption of mach-15 for Sheheen-2.

So there you go..the infographic in question was not a bunch of doodaa and was based on realistic comparisons and well founded assumptions.

hope it helps.

Thats some hard work but at the end of the day, they are all assumptions. I'm not saying they are wrong, I do not know the exact figures myself so I think the infographic cannot be considered based on true facts.

Last edited:
Can Pakistan help Middle Eastern countries to do JV with Pakistan over Liquid and Solid Fuel Rocket system so that they can produce their own missiles and SLVs? Or they need to do JV with N.Korea or China?

Nishan 101 is back.......

10386818_268007280070771_1987691464588735852_n.jpg

So the Ghauri system is being completed phased out. What would happen to the missiles??? and also about the short range ones like M-11s and all those before Abdali and Ghaznavi???
Used as practice firing during military exercises

A.Q Khan gloating about his Ghauri series while belittling Dr.Samar Mubarakmand Shaheen series

@Oscar @The Deterrent apparently Shaheen series had it's share of failures as well

Dr A Q Khan
Monday, September 29, 2014
From Print Edition

104 42 48 0

ce56de5ace84c72029c30bfc59abcc3a.jpg

Part - XIII

Random thoughts

Last week I wrote something about Dr M Alam. Besides being a very competent and able colleague who designed the atom bomb, he was also an ardent hitchhiker. He, together with Dr Tahir Rasul (colleague of Eng Khokhar and a very competent mechanical engineer who made invaluable contributions to the success of our programme, now professor at Air University), founded a hiking club.

We built a club building and obtained excellent hiking equipment from Germany, free of cost, from our friend, Dr Heinz Mebus. Dr Alam, Dr Tahir, a few other colleagues and Dr Anisur Rahman, a well-known dental surgeon in Islamabad, regularly visited the northern areas for hiking. Their club building has many beautiful photos of the excursions.

One of my priorities was to concentrate, not only on the work, but also on the comfort of my staff. Kahuta was thus turned into a model town with flowers, fruit trees, a swimming pool, dairy, poultry/quail farms, a cricket ground, a football field, tennis and squash courts, a guesthouse at the dam (built by us) for senior staff, utility store, marriage hall, gymnasium, riding club, golf course, bus services for students and a bus service to and from Islamabad/Rawalpindi for families for shopping.

All the plantation and road works were taken care of by Brig Sajawal Khan, DG SWO who was a competent, no-nonsense officer who always delivered as promised. More than six feet tall, fit and well-built, he had a dominating personality and was willing and able to accomplish tasks at top speed. He came as a Lt-Col together with Gen Zahid, was promoted to full colonel with Gen Anis and then became brigadier and DG SWO after Gen Anis was posted as surveyor general of Pakistan. Most of the construction work inside the plant was completed during his tenure. He used to accompany me on my daily inspection of the plant. After retirement from the army I made him DG Maintenance and General Services, a job he performed with excellence.

In April 1998 when we were ready to launch the Ghauri missile from the site prepared at Kahuta, we were told to fire it from Tilla, Jhelum instead. We only had two days in which to make the alternate arrangements – an arduous task with bad roads, sharp turns, obstructing trees, low electric wires, etc. To transport such huge missiles on launchers together with the fuel and other equipment required was an enormous task. Thanks to Brig Sajawal, all went well.

The decision to shift sites at the last minute came from a general at the GHQ who was our liaison. He was afraid that the missile would fly over Rawalpindi and, if there was a mishap, the GHQ and more would be wiped out. He was obviously not aware of the fact that most failures occur during launching or immediately after. This missile was capable of reaching 360 km speed within a few seconds, then, after releasing the warhead, the fuselage falls a few hundred kilometres away. The warhead, pre-programmed to a specific target, would fly ballistically at high speed.

Dr Hashmi, Dr Mirza, Engineers Nasim Khan, Khokhar, Nazir Mirza, Badrul Islam, Brig Behram and many other senior officers were already at the site. On April 6 about 20 colleagues and I drove to Tilla Range by coaster. When we reached, those already there were just having breakfast. I sat down with Dr Hashmi and we got the shock of our lives when a crate snake slid between our legs. Our launching time was 7:30 am. At 7:22 I was informed by an army officer that the missile launch from Son Miani under Samar Mubarakmand had flopped. It had simply rolled over and burst into flame. There were reports of casualties, but these were never confirmed.

When I heard this, I was furious. It was obvious that the timing had been planned to steal our achievement by firing a copy of M-11 which KRL had developed at Khanpur. The drawings for that missile had been passed on to Samar Mubarakmand after we had handed over the factory to the army. I immediately gave the go-ahead and our missile was launched at 7:23. Slightly more than nine minutes later the warhead hit the ground near the target 1,300 km away. The army inspectors posted there confirmed the hit and gave a written report. A helicopter was also there to witness the event. There are many photographs recording the event. Since there were no proper facilities at Tilla Range, I later had weather-resistant sheds built there – bathrooms, cafeteria, kitchen, mosque, etc – which were then donated to the army.

The Tilla Range, Jhelum, fell under the Corps Commander of Mangla, Gen Musharraf at the time. As a courtesy, I invited him to witness the historic launching of Pakistan’s first ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. He said that he had neither been informed, nor invited, by the COAS, Gen Jehangir Karamat. I told him I would inform the chief. He arrived by helicopter an hour before the launch.

We all sat on the balcony of a building about 300 meters from the launching pad. Musharraf was sitting on one side of me with Gen Riaz A Chowhan, DG Medical Services, former surgeon general of Pakistan Army, on the other. Musharraf was reeking of alcohol and I told him that this was most inappropriate. I guess this did not go down well. Later, when he became president, he claimed that the launch had been a failure. It is hard to image this kind of behaviour from a head of state.

After the success of the launch I immediately informed PM Mian Nawaz Sharif. He was extremely pleased and asked me to come to PM House at about 10 pm with the video film. I rushed back to Islamabad and found Mushahid Hussain Syed, Saeed Mehdi and some others with the PM. After viewing the video, at the insistence of Mushahid, they decided to air it in the 1pm news bulletin.

At 11 am the PM addressed officers and participants at the National Defence College (now a university) and broke the news, to which there was thunderous applause. From Gen Zia’s statements the Indians knew that Pakistan had nuclear weapons, but the launching of a long-range ballistic missile capable of carrying these weapons from a mobile launcher took the wind out of their sales. It was soon realised by both countries that a large-scale war between the two was now a thing of the past. Neither could afford the costs and damages of a nuclear war.

Brig Sajawal had done an excellent job by providing the logistic support. He was also the one who provided the logistic support for the many nuclear cold tests we carried out from the beginning of 1983 to 1984. May Allah shower His blessings on him and his family and on all those who worked on the missile programme to its successful completion.

b53d8e30233b09a684a5426dcca9ba91.gif

A.Q Khan gloating about his Ghauri series while belittling Dr.Samar Mubarakmand Shaheen series

@Oscar @The Deterrent apparently Shaheen series had it's share of failures as well
Failures were always a part of the development programs. In fact, Shaheen-I was the most troublesome of all, but the lessons were learned so well that Shaheen-II soared with success every time.

Failures were always a part of the development programs. In fact, Shaheen-I was the most troublesome of all, but the lessons were learned so well that Shaheen-II soared with success every time.

Where is the development trajectory headed to?

Range or Surviveability?

Where is the development trajectory headed to?

Range or Surviveability?

Definitely not range, there will be no major extension in range. Survivability? Of what exactly?

Basically the trajectory is headed where it has always been heading; developing low-cost solutions to emerging threats (which may have the potential to disrupt the balance of M.A.D.) for strengthening deterrence. At the moment, those threats include Ballistic Missile Defense System and Swift Conventional Strikes (aka Cold Start). In addition to these, progress is also being made in the field of Limited Second Strike Capability, Platform Diversity, Conventional Warfare and Asset Robustness, Mobility & Survivability.

Ask Dr Samar he will tell you that the Shaheen was built in house.. whatever the exact process.. at least it is not a repainted NoDong like the Ghauri is.

He was afraid that the missile would fly over Rawalpindi and, if there was a mishap, the GHQ and more would be wiped out.

When I heard this, I was furious. It was obvious that the timing had been planned to steal our achievement by firing a copy of M-11 which KRL had developed at Khanpur. The drawings for that missile had been passed on to Samar Mubarakmand after we had handed over the factory to the army.

Musharraf was reeking of alcohol and I told him that this was most inappropriate. I guess this did not go down well. Later, when he became president, he claimed that the launch had been a failure.

View attachment 101417

This guy is the perfect real life troll :) . He just cant keep it shut. He bad mouths all the people and creates fake mirch masala news headlines and try to pound our head on daily basis with the message that had it not been AQ Khan there would have been no Atom bomb and no missile system in Pakistan. All those who know abc of these programs know that all news coming from AQ are always 180 degrees opposite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom