What's new

Pakistani-American Convicted For Exporting Computer Hardware to Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission

Guy was just trying to make few bucks and has been doing it since 2006, but I guess feds decided to screw him now.

He was exporting high performance computers and networking solutions. Which were not really some sensitive technology. You can export them to Pakistan for educational institutions or businesses but not to institutions like PAEC.

Export US made pencil to PAEC and US govt will come after you.

He was not charged for exporting stuff to Pakistan but Feds are trying to build a case that he knew computers will be used by PAEC. Which is on US govt export ( restricted) list.

All he has to do is get a good lawyer and somehow convince judge that he didn’t knew.

He was not charged for exporting stuff to Pakistan but Feds are trying to build a case that he knew computers will be used by PAEC. Which is on US govt export ( restricted) list.

All he has to do is get a good lawyer and somehow convince judge that he didn’t knew.

Bingo but didn't he plead guilty lol?

Pakistani-American Convicted For Exporting Computer Hardware to Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission

cloud-computer-illustration-e1615276483112.jpg

A Pakistani-American man has pleaded guilty to criminal charges in the District Court for the Northern District of Illinois after he confessed to illegally exporting sensitive computer hardware from the US to a top Pakistani nuclear research organization.

He pleaded guilty to conspiring to export goods from the US without obtaining a license from the Department of Commerce and to submit false export information. The conviction is punishable by a maximum sentence of five years in federal prison and a maximum fine of $250,000.

According to details, 66-year old Obaidullah Syed, resident of Northbrook, supplied high-performance computing platforms and servers to Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) between 2006 and 2015.
He also lied to the US manufacturers that the computer hardware being exported from the US was only intended for Pakistani educational institutions. However, in reality, he knew that the end-user of the hardware would be either the PAEC or a research institute that trained its scientists and engineers.
Since Obaidullah misinformed them, the US manufacturers submitted export documents to the Commerce Department which showed false end-users for the US-made goods.
Obaidullah had owned two companies: Pakistan-based Business System International Pvt. Ltd. and Chicago-based Business System International USA.

He conspired with his employees in Pakistan to first export computer hardware from the US without the permission of the Department of Commerce in violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and then supply it to the PAEC.
For the unaware, PAEC is a government agency responsible for research and development of nuclear power, promotion of nuclear science, energy conservation, and the peaceful usage of nuclear technology.
Long before Obaidullah exported hardware and software to the PAEC, the US had already designated it as an entity that may pose an unusual or extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economy of the country.

Brilliant. Another one addition to making it tougher to trust Pakistanis or Pakistani origins abroad. If he can do it one way in violation of laws, what's to say he would have not also done it to somewhere and someone else.....

I hope this hero doesn't end up like Abdul Qadeer Khan lamenting on his lost time and finances.
We tend to forget our heroes and only remember them when they are gone.

One country's criminal other country's hero, its just matter of prospectus how people see him.

I mean he was a cammunist I believe so anti- god itself
Talking about anti-urdu he is well liked by Punjabi nationalists
Maybe this is the reason?
This is the first time I am hearing about his anti-urdu stance tbh

Found this article

I remember reading a quote from him about how urdu script is divisive. It could be him or someone else if I can remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom