What's new

Pakistan to raise 12,000 Marines in a new branch of Navy

PN was not given importance in the past based on the length of the coastline of Pakistan. The unfolding of events has shown that the flaw in that thinking pattern. Now most of areas of PN are being expanded; surface combatants, subs, aircrafts, helicopters, installations, bases and of course Marines. When talking of Marines, the equipment shows them as light infantry with AD capability, mostly like National Guard of Pakistan. NG battalions have the same role and almost the same equipment, the only difference being that NG is deployed on land while Marines are deployed on coast. However, if you look closely, there is one huge difference (no not the uniforms or hierarchy of who they report to !!!), Pakistan Marines are trained for carrying out assaults (amphibious and conventional) while the NG is trained primarily to defend an area.

My point being :The role of Marines, based on their training, not equipment, is to fight a war on enemy's turf just like regular infantry of Pakistan Army.

In order to enhance the offensive capability of the ground formations of Pakistan Military, the role of Marines in future conflicts is being expanded. lets talk about the training part first and then we can come on the equipment part. Training of Marines is carried out in Army's institutions (such as Infantry School, Quetta etc). You will be familiar with the level of instruction, training, tactic etc taught at that institution. Marines are being trained not to police inside Pakistan but to fight inside India. Marines work closely with Army and presently depend upon heavy fire support support from Army. The training of Marines as seen in amphibious warfare is assaulting beaches, riverines etc, not carrying out IB-Ops like FC, Police etc. Marines use light weapons as they still are tasked with guarding installations, raiding ships if necessary to assist Coast guard and safe guard the coast.

Coming to the equipment part, If PA is generous enough to hand over MBT and artillery to ParaMilitary (FC), then there are bright chances that Marines could get equipment seconded from the Army. Although FC has got its own training schools, out of necessity FC was given training on this heavy equipment in Army's Armor and Artillery Schools. Since the FC operated in an environment and against an enemy where such weapons were necessary, something that couldn't have been expected maybe two decades ago. Now Marines, who already are trained in Army institutions and operate closely with Army, at some stage can be given training on heavy weapons as the need arises.

Whenever there is talk of CPEC, protecting the waters and the coast becomes the focus of everyone. It is true that expansion of Navy is linked with CPEC project, however, there is much more at stake in case of war with India. 25 Mech Div of 5-Corps is tasked with penetrating eastwards inside India with jumping off point provided by 16 ID and 18 ID. Therefore, 5 Corps will leave its peacetime area and move out Sindh zone into India.The coastline is now empty of Army, with Rangers deployed in Karachi and assisting Army on the border. The formations based in Quetta will either go eastwards or north-east, to reinforce threatened sectors. FC will be deployed in Quetta and on western border. If the Marine formation is about a division strength or more, the coastline can be well defended in case of an amphibious attack, the rear area of 5-Corps can be protected by Marines incase of an air drop of IA into Sindh and the Marines can also protect the southern flank of 5-Corps by entering into India staying on 5-Corps southern flank, supported by 5-Corps assets for supplies and heavy firepower. A brigade sized Marine force can do neither of these tasks, division strength is required. Considering the size of IN, an amphibious attack by PM would be suicidal but that depends upon circumstances present at that time.

During peace time in southern Pakistan, while the coast guard stays in waters, Rangers and FC Patrol the cities, Army sits in barracks or conducts exercises in desert, the Marines protect the creeks, the coast, Naval installations and assist navy and Coast Guard in Coastal Operations. IMO, to give more operational capabilities to Marines, they should be deployed on LOC and take part in WOT with Army. Extra 2-3 battalions of Marines on LOC with support of artillery from X-Corps or 12 ID will boost defensive and offensive capability of Pakistani assets in the region. The units of PA which need to go back to peace area deployment in cantts from Western border, can be replaced with a battalion or 2 of Marines. There is presence of Army required in Swat, a detachment of Marines can also serve in that area. Due to the training on Army's standards, Marines can easily replace infantry battalions of Pakistan Army whenever needed. Marines could form back up for Army, better than NG, FC and Rangers.

Thank you for a detailed answer.

A lot of thoughts come to mind, but I would like to read your post through a couple of times and get together relevant data before responding.

PS: Congratulations on showing the entire forum what you meant in #171. It made a deep impression when it was written, it makes perfect sense on reading your post above. It will be a very good development if PDF members were to take serious notice of it and adhere to its possibilities.

Last edited:
I have experienced this many times in Army forum discussing MBT's, Gunships and other AFV's. As long as i keep limited to a certain MBT regarding its specifications like gun, armor, power plant etc, I will keep getting replies, when i shift into its usage and operations in formations, the replies will start to dim out, and as soon as i step into a scenario where the MBT is a small variable and other major factors need to be considered, the replies actually vanish. Thank God for @Ulla and now you guys @FuturePAF and yourself.

Excellent observations. May I add yet another tier to your hierarchy of debates: once a particular weapon's use is placed in the wider context, one must also take another step and place that wider scenario within the use of war tactics as just another tool according to the rules of international geopolitics.

(At this level, the discussion gets mighty thin all of a sudden. :D )

Let us wait and see. However, the present initiative seems to be to create some form of gendarmerie; that is a very slippery slope, as I would like to testify from the Indian experience. The key to it is the mission this new force will be equipped to do.
Depends on which gendarmerie(country) you are refering to,for instance the Turkish gendarmarie is 'police' in peace time but armed forces in war time.
Their training is nothing short of that of the Armed Forces and even their equipment is(mostly) on par.
My guess is that these marines will be like the Turkish Marine Brigade consisting of,

Amphibious Marine Brigade https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Naval_Forces#Marines_and_Special_Forces
S.A.T https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Offence_(Turkish_Armed_Forces)
S.A.S https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Defence_(Turkish_Armed_Forces)

Depends on which gendarmerie(country) you are refering to,for instance the Turkish gendarmarie is 'police' in peace time but armed forces in war time.
Their training is nothing short of that of the Armed Forces and even their equipment is(mostly) on par.
My guess is that these marines will be like the Turkish Marine Brigade consisting of,

Amphibious Marine Brigade https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Naval_Forces#Marines_and_Special_Forces
S.A.T https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Offence_(Turkish_Armed_Forces)
S.A.S https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Defence_(Turkish_Armed_Forces)

Not so (I think).

If you read @Signalian 's excellent summary, it sounds terribly close to precisely what you describe as 'police' in peace time and armed forces in war. In sub-continental terms, apparently the Pakistan Marines will function like border guards (Indian Border Security Forces, Seema Shasastra Bal, and the like) during peace, and will function as conventional Marines during war (I haven't read your URL when I write this, and will, perhaps an hour from now - expect to see a lot of editing of what I write here, then, after going through this material).

Two points: what alarms me is the hint that some genius is combining the duties of an observer corps, with sea-facing police stations, with a marine border guard unit, with a near-shore defence unit, with an amphibious corps with war-fighting capabilities on a remote shoreline. I would rather not make explicit comments, for fear of the inevitable backlash by fan-boys, but at the moment, both my palms are protecting my face from a nervous breakdown.

No, that was wrong.

Both my palms are preventing others from seeing that I am having a nervous breakdown.

Excellent observations. May I add yet another tier to your hierarchy of debates: once a particular weapon's use is placed in the wider context, one must also take another step and place that wider scenario within the use of war tactics as just another tool according to the rules of international geopolitics.

(At this level, the discussion gets mighty thin all of a sudden. :D )

@VCheng
Please stay involved, but try not to rile up any Pakistani (@T-123456 doesn't get 'riled up', so that's OK).

PN was not given importance in the past based on the length of the coastline of Pakistan. The unfolding of events has shown that the flaw in that thinking pattern. Now most of areas of PN are being expanded; surface combatants, subs, aircrafts, helicopters, installations, bases and of course Marines. When talking of Marines, the equipment shows them as light infantry with AD capability, mostly like National Guard of Pakistan. NG battalions have the same role and almost the same equipment, the only difference being that NG is deployed on land while Marines are deployed on coast. However, if you look closely, there is one huge difference (no not the uniforms or hierarchy of who they report to !!!), Pakistan Marines are trained for carrying out assaults (amphibious and conventional) while the NG is trained primarily to defend an area.

My point being :The role of Marines, based on their training, not equipment, is to fight a war on enemy's turf just like regular infantry of Pakistan Army.

In order to enhance the offensive capability of the ground formations of Pakistan Military, the role of Marines in future conflicts is being expanded. lets talk about the training part first and then we can come on the equipment part. Training of Marines is carried out in Army's institutions (such as Infantry School, Quetta etc). You will be familiar with the level of instruction, training, tactic etc taught at that institution. Marines are being trained not to police inside Pakistan but to fight inside India. Marines work closely with Army and presently depend upon heavy fire support support from Army. The training of Marines as seen in amphibious warfare is assaulting beaches, riverines etc, not carrying out IB-Ops like FC, Police etc. Marines use light weapons as they still are tasked with guarding installations, raiding ships if necessary to assist Coast guard and safe guard the coast.

Coming to the equipment part, If PA is generous enough to hand over MBT and artillery to ParaMilitary (FC), then there are bright chances that Marines could get equipment seconded from the Army. Although FC has got its own training schools, out of necessity FC was given training on this heavy equipment in Army's Armor and Artillery Schools. Since the FC operated in an environment and against an enemy where such weapons were necessary, something that couldn't have been expected maybe two decades ago. Now Marines, who already are trained in Army institutions and operate closely with Army, at some stage can be given training on heavy weapons as the need arises.

Whenever there is talk of CPEC, protecting the waters and the coast becomes the focus of everyone. It is true that expansion of Navy is linked with CPEC project, however, there is much more at stake in case of war with India. 25 Mech Div of 5-Corps is tasked with penetrating eastwards inside India with jumping off point provided by 16 ID and 18 ID. Therefore, 5 Corps will leave its peacetime area and move out Sindh zone into India.The coastline is now empty of Army, with Rangers deployed in Karachi and assisting Army on the border. The formations based in Quetta will either go eastwards or north-east, to reinforce threatened sectors. FC will be deployed in Quetta and on western border. If the Marine formation is about a division strength or more, the coastline can be well defended in case of an amphibious attack, the rear area of 5-Corps can be protected by Marines incase of an air drop of IA into Sindh and the Marines can also protect the southern flank of 5-Corps by entering into India staying on 5-Corps southern flank, supported by 5-Corps assets for supplies and heavy firepower. A brigade sized Marine force can do neither of these tasks, division strength is required. Considering the size of IN, an amphibious attack by PM would be suicidal but that depends upon circumstances present at that time.

During peace time in southern Pakistan, while the coast guard stays in waters, Rangers and FC Patrol the cities, Army sits in barracks or conducts exercises in desert, the Marines protect the creeks, the coast, Naval installations and assist navy and Coast Guard in Coastal Operations. IMO, to give more operational capabilities to Marines, they should be deployed on LOC and take part in WOT with Army. Extra 2-3 battalions of Marines on LOC with support of artillery from X-Corps or 12 ID will boost defensive and offensive capability of Pakistani assets in the region. The units of PA which need to go back to peace area deployment in cantts from Western border, can be replaced with a battalion or 2 of Marines. There is presence of Army required in Swat, a detachment of Marines can also serve in that area. Due to the training on Army's standards, Marines can easily replace infantry battalions of Pakistan Army whenever needed. Marines could form back up for Army, better than NG, FC and Rangers.

i do agree with what you are saying by and large excpet

1 - cost guard to act a FC or rangers
2 - PMSA will act a peace time navy and extended coast gurd

for CPEC Marines will provide protection just like army is raising a division to protect it.

over all a very well written article. good job

Sorry, I just saw this. I will do that, for the special attention of @Signalian, @T-123456 and your kind self.
There are others:
@Aamir Hussain
@Armchair
@IceCold
@MastanKhan

PN was not given importance in the past based on the length of the coastline of Pakistan. The unfolding of events has shown that the flaw in that thinking pattern.

Frankly, I have my problems with even this opening sentence: the length of the coastline of Pakistan has got NOTHING to do with the strength of the Pakistan Navy. The PN should be oriented to meet its major tasks and objectives; if I might take the liberty of summarising these, they would be:
  1. Defending Pakistan's Sea Lines of Communications (SLOC);
  2. Preventing a naval attack on shore-based installations;
  3. Preventing an amphibious attack, either a tactical attack or a strategic one, on Pakistan's mainland;
  4. Preserving control over economic resources within Pakistan's Exclusive Economic Zone;
So that includes the curious case of the dog in the night-time (note to Moderators: this is a quotation from the body of works describing the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, specifically The Adventure of Silver Blaze, and I am not calling any member a dog), but I will expand on that in the next block of text.

The point is that nowhere does the length of the coastline figure in this, not even in #2 or in #3; those two tasks are detection tasks, and interdiction tasks, not tasks for a naval ship (IMO).

Now most of areas of PN are being expanded; surface combatants, subs, aircrafts, helicopters, installations, basesi and of course Marines.

This worries me: why 'of course'?

[Warning: Lecture follows - skip this section for a quick read] As we all know, the first Marines were historically Roman legionnaires who used the 'corvus' to neutralise Carthaginian superiority at sea, in seamanship and ship-handling. Closer to our times, we have the Royal Spanish Marines, who still exist and are, I think, the oldest Marine Corps in the world; they were followed by the Royal Marines of Britain, who served as armed guards on HM ships, as additional hands for physical labour intensive shipboard tasks (in the pages of Hornblower stories there is a description of such Marines handling a capstan and releasing the trained crew to go topside), to fire on enemy ships clearing their masts and picking off their officers, and to make landings on shore. This amphibious capability took a long, long time in coming, and was really a modern phenomenon; the US Marines do have a stronger tradition, from 'the walls of Montezuma', long dead by assassination by the conquistadores, to 'the shores of Tripoli', reminding us all that Syria is a chapter in a large book.[End of Lecture]

The question is: did Marines figure in the military doctrine of, say, the Germans, or the Russians? Or even the French? (the Dutch have Marines, but they didn't do much invading with them). So why 'of course'?

Nobody other than the Anglo-Americans had the amphibious capability and expeditionary doctrine, right from the outset. In spite of Walcheren, in spite of Dieppe.

When talking of Marines, the equipment shows them as light infantry with AD capability, mostly like National Guard of Pakistan. NG battalions have the same role and almost the same equipment, the only difference being that NG is deployed on land while Marines are deployed on coast. However, if you look closely, there is one huge difference (no not the uniforms or hierarchy of who they report to !!!), Pakistan Marines are trained for carrying out assaults (amphibious and conventional) while the NG is trained primarily to defend an area.

ARE the Pakistan Marines trained for carrying out assaults (amphibious and conventional)? How and where did this happen? There are two divisions, that's about 30,000 troops, of the Indian Army that are actively involved in amphibious operations training: a quick look at the command structure will tell any literate person where they are. A third is reported to be facing in the opposite cardinal direction.

In a lighter vein,

Those students of military affairs who have followed the growth and development of nearby navies will already have noticed that the Indian Navy already has the following amphibious capability:
  • Amphibious transport dock - 1 (this vessel is over 15,000 MT displacement; just for comparison, that was approximately the displacement of the original INS Vikrant)
  • Landing ship tank - 5 (5,600 MT)
  • Landing ship tank - 3 (1,100 MT)
  • Landing craft utility - 2 (500 MT)
  • Landing craft utility - 5 (830 MT)
The point being? How does this connect up to the discussion on the Pakistan Marines?

Simply to point out that any serious training of the Marines to fight on the enemy's turf (that should probably read,"...sandy beaches...") needs serious investment in supporting equipment, starting with ships; the landing craft utility class mentioned in the list above, the 830 MT class, is being churned out in local shipyards and is expected to be deployed in large numbers). Is this the correct strategy for Pakistan, for Pakistan's Navy and for Pakistan's Marines?

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Can the Marines operate with just amphibious ships? What about the equipment needed to carve out a bridgehead and to hold it? What about air cover, against an enemy that plans to run two aircraft carriers, and attack aircraft out of those? Or marine reconnaissance and surveillance aircraft covering the Arabian Sea thoroughly?

Instead, should not the Navy be concentrating on getting more submarines, more shore-based anti-ship missiles, more MRAS aircraft, more radar equipment along the coasts?

In order to enhance the offensive capability of the ground formations of Pakistan Military, the role of Marines in future conflicts is being expanded. lets talk about the training part first and then we can come on the equipment part. Training of Marines is carried out in Army's institutions (such as Infantry School, Quetta etc). You will be familiar with the level of instruction, training, tactic etc taught at that institution. Marines are being trained not to police inside Pakistan but to fight inside India. Marines work closely with Army and presently depend upon heavy fire support support from Army.

Those are good things, but how do the Marines get inside India? Who gives them 'heavy fire support' during their landings, the USS Nevada?

The training of Marines as seen in amphibious warfare is assaulting beaches, riverines etc, not carrying out IB-Ops like FC, Police etc.

Marines use light weapons as they still are tasked with guarding installations, raiding ships if necessary to assist Coast guard and safe guard the coast.

These two statements just flatly contradict each other.

We still haven't 'got' why we need Pakistan Marines to get into amphibious warfare, assaulting beaches and riverines, and we still haven't got why they shouldn't stick to guarding installations, assisting the Coast Guard and safeguarding the coast.

Coming to the equipment part, If PA is generous enough to hand over MBT and artillery to ParaMilitary (FC), then there are bright chances that Marines could get equipment seconded from the Army.

Again and again, we come up against the same puzzle: why are the Pakistan Marines being pushed into taking on tasks that may never arise, and that will prove fatal if they do arise? Why are they being trained on equipment that they do not have now, and that they will acquire by spending a defence rupee that might have gone to an already hard-pressed Army and Air Force? What is the comparative advantage of building up this new force, as against reinforcing the Army and the Air Force?

Although FC has got its own training schools, out of necessity FC was given training on this heavy equipment in Army's Armor and Artillery Schools. Since the FC operated in an environment and against an enemy where such weapons were necessary, something that couldn't have been expected maybe two decades ago. Now Marines, who already are trained in Army institutions and operate closely with Army, at some stage can be given training on heavy weapons as the need arises.

<sarcasm warning>There are very, very few amphibious landing ships that the Army can lend the Pakistan Marines.

Whenever there is talk of CPEC, protecting the waters and the coast becomes the focus of everyone. It is true that expansion of Navy is linked with CPEC project, however, there is much more at stake in case of war with India.

Respectfully, the CPEC should remain the focus of the Marines task, NOT a hypothetical task in case of war with India. The one is a plausible role, not entirely covered by any other body, one that needs to be done as a combination of a Rangers role (Pakistani Rangers) and an FC role. The FC role, because this force, possibly the Pakistan Marines, should have the capability of operating heavy firepower, the Rangers role because they need to remain a light infantry (supporting and assisting the regular civilian police, without getting into day-to-day police administration).

It may be best to leave consideration of the next two paragraphs to a later point of time, once other preliminary discussions are over. This post therefore ends HERE.

25 Mech Div of 5-Corps is tasked with penetrating eastwards inside India with jumping off point provided by 16 ID and 18 ID. Therefore, 5 Corps will leave its peacetime area and move out Sindh zone into India.The coastline is now empty of Army, with Rangers deployed in Karachi and assisting Army on the border. The formations based in Quetta will either go eastwards or north-east, to reinforce threatened sectors. FC will be deployed in Quetta and on western border. If the Marine formation is about a division strength or more, the coastline can be well defended in case of an amphibious attack, the rear area of 5-Corps can be protected by Marines incase of an air drop of IA into Sindh and the Marines can also protect the southern flank of 5-Corps by entering into India staying on 5-Corps southern flank, supported by 5-Corps assets for supplies and heavy firepower. A brigade sized Marine force can do neither of these tasks, division strength is required. Considering the size of IN, an amphibious attack by PM would be suicidal but that depends upon circumstances present at that time.

Again and again, we come up against the same puzzle: why are the Pakistan Marines being pushed into taking on tasks that may never arise, and that will prove fatal if they do arise? Why are they being trained on equipment that they do not have now, and that they will acquire by spending a defence rupee that might have gone to an already hard-pressed Army and Air Force? What is the comparative advantage of building up this new force, as against reinforcing the Army and the Air Force?

An excellent critique, Joe. Thank you for that.

The questions quoted above are the reason I posted above that any such discussion must also look at the use of such war tactics as just another tool according to the rules of international geopolitics. Let me add a blunt question to yours above: Is Pakistan hoping to achieve blue water parity with India just as an organ-measuring contest? I think not. If it can meet the 4 objectives you mentioned above, it is doing great. And if it can hide a submarine or two to provide a viable second strike capability, it is doing fantastically well. Anything beyond simply does not make geopolitical sense to me.

An excellent critique, Joe. Thank you for that.

The questions quoted above are the reason I posted above that any such discussion must also look at the use of such war tactics as just another tool according to the rules of international geopolitics. Let me add a blunt question to yours above: Is Pakistan hoping to achieve blue water parity with India just as an organ-measuring contest? I think not. If it can meet the 4 objectives you mentioned above, it is doing great. And if it can hide a submarine or two to provide a viable second strike capability, it is doing fantastically well. Anything beyond simply does not make geopolitical sense to me.

This is not my first post about the Pakistan Navy, and there is a reason for that. The Pakistan Air Force is arguably one of the best in the world, without yielding an inch of my pride in my own country's air force. The Pakistan Army is, I think, one of the best in the world at its job; to hold out against a far larger adversary with more than its fair share of success in that effort.

I don't know that the PN should expand its remit beyond the four points that have been mentioned already. If it fulfils these, it will have done a good job - and more.

This is not my first post about the Pakistan Navy, and there is a reason for that. The Pakistan Air Force is arguably one of the best in the world, without yielding an inch of my pride in my own country's air force. The Pakistan Army is, I think, one of the best in the world at its job; to hold out against a far larger adversary with more than its fair share of success in that effort.

I don't know that the PN should expand its remit beyond the four points that have been mentioned already. If it fulfils these, it will have done a good job - and more.

Hence the rather blunt question I posted in my previous post. I suspect you know the answer too. :D

Two misconceptions
- Some people are questioning the lack of landing capabilities of Pakistan Marines
- While other POV is unnecessarily linking and trying to analysis the role of Marine in geopolitical sense

both are unnecessary observations as

- Towards the south and east of Badin hovercraft would be required not the landing crafts
- Geography of that region dictates the requirement of an specialised force to defend that part of the county, it is because of this reason we observe Marines are operating with weapons related to light infantry role with basic air defence assets (shoulder mounted SAM)

Last edited:
Hence the rather blunt question I posted in my previous post. I suspect you know the answer too. :D

You will not misunderstand me if I call it strategic over-reach. There is an American commentator that has a rather harsh evaluation of the situation from the earliest moments onwards, from 1947 onwards, but I believe that such a degree of candour carries its own burdens. And she was referring to the Pakistan Army; the Pakistan Navy did not have quite such an expansive vision of its own role, and did what it could.

Bear in mind that it is a small-ship navy with frigates as its largest class. For it to grow to larger levels and to challenging levels is, I believe, bad strategy; for it to acquire, even in miniature, particularly in miniature, every component of the largest fleets, the American, and the Russian, and the Chinese, is hopelessly impractical. Instead, by looking westward and studying the Iranians closely, the PN might build its own successful asymmetric warfare doctrine, based on marrying Chinese anti-shipping missile technology with a strong aerial surveillance capability. This, naturally, parallel to the regular side-step resorted to by navies that have exceptionally strong opposition, the use of submarines.

You will not misunderstand me if I call it strategic over-reach. There is an American commentator that has a rather harsh evaluation of the situation from the earliest moments onwards, from 1947 onwards, but I believe that such a degree of candour carries its own burdens. And she was referring to the Pakistan Army; the Pakistan Navy did not have quite such an expansive vision of its own role, and did what it could.

Bear in mind that it is a small-ship navy with frigates as its largest class. For it to grow to larger levels and to challenging levels is, I believe, bad strategy; for it to acquire, even in miniature, particularly in miniature, every component of the largest fleets, the American, and the Russian, and the Chinese, is hopelessly impractical. Instead, by looking westward and studying the Iranians closely, the PN might build its own successful asymmetric warfare doctrine, based on marrying Chinese anti-shipping missile technology with a strong aerial surveillance capability. This, naturally, parallel to the regular side-step resorted to by navies that have exceptionally strong opposition, the use of submarines.

Strategic overreach. Says it all. :D

Candor extracts a terrible price from the plebes like me, so I will say no more for now.

Back
Top Bottom