What's new

Pakistan to raise 12,000 Marines in a new branch of Navy

SipahSalar

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Many questions remain unanswered. All we know so far is that it will be headed by a 3 star Admiral.

What will be the purpose of such force?
Why the sudden need for Marines?
Where will they operate? Are they meant to guard Gwadar?
What equipment will they have? Is Pakistan finally getting Amphibious assault ships which are considered vital for any amphibious military to effectively operate?

Pakistan Seeks New Force for Sea Boundaries
ISLAMABAD — Pakistan is to raise a new force to help safeguard its sea boundaries, but analysts are perplexed as to how the force is to be raised even though there is a need to improve security.

The move was announced Tuesday by Pakistan's Minister for Ports and Shipping Senator Kamran Michael who said a force of 12,000 Marines was to be raised and headed by a three star general. He added the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had sanctioned the program and the defense ministry had commenced work on establishing the force.

However, neither the defense ministry nor the Pakistan Navy would provide details of the proposed force when contacted by Defense News.

It is not understood how this Marine force will be established, whether it will be an entirely new force, drawn from other Marine units, or an expansion of existing units that will be re-tasked.

There is no time frame given for when it will become operational.

Pakistan's maritime area of interest has been very topical of late.

The move to establish the new force comes as work on the US $36 billion Sino-Pakistani economic corridor to connect Pakistan's deepwater port of Gwadar with western China gets underway, and against the backdrop of an expansion in the size of Pakistan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).

In March the United Nations' Commission on Limits of Continental Shelf also accepted Pakistan's claim to extend its EEZ to the continental shelf limits and extended it from 200 nautical miles to 350. This amounts to an additional 50,000 square kilometers, taking the total EEZ from 240,000 square kilometers to 290,000 square kilometers.

Regarding the establishment of this new force, former Australian defense attache to Islamabad Brian Cloughley says an initiative of this size will take a monumental level of organization and training, the scale of which may not yet be apparent.

"Recruiting, alone, will take years. Of course it's an excellent idea, but it would be better to build on the Coast Guard and the [Maritime Security Agency] — combine and expand the two, under the legal cover of the latter."

Asked as to whether this may be part of the recently announced Sino-Pakistani economic corridor program and if the Chinese would help equip the new force he said, "I have no doubt that the Chinese will be most supportive and will probably provide equipment."

There could yet be another theory as to how the force will be established however. Though the move was announced by the Minister for Ports and Shipping, Cloughley does not believe the force will be tasked solely with port security.

"I think the new force is intended to assume the duties currently performed by the Coast Guard and the Maritime Security Agency (MSA), not just to concentrate on ports."

Similarly, analyst Haris Khan of the Pakistan Military Consortium think tank agrees there needs to be some form of change, but that this should focus on capacity building for the MSA.

"What is required is that the MSA needs expansion and it needs to incorporate the Coast Guard," he said. "There is already a viable structure of command and control of the MSA which operates under the supervision of Pakistan Navy."

Highlighting the MSA's assets in having "close to 2,500 personal, four Barkat class OPVs, three Shanghai II class FAC, ten 13 meter interdiction patrol craft, and three BN Defender aircraft", Khan says this provides a good core capability.

The Coast Guard is a land-based paramilitary force currently under control of the Army. The MSA is a maritime paramilitary unit under the control of the Navy.

Analysts dispute the effectiveness of the Coast Guard, but it made headlines this month when it seized just over 3,000kg of hashish during a raid in the town of Pasni, Balochistan. It was destined for the gulf where it would have been worth an estimated US $50 million and is one of the largest ever seizures of the drug.

There is, however, an apparent shortage of assets to effectively patrol the EEZ, and Khan believes "the MSA should be provided more sea vessels for interdiction, more fixed wing aircraft should be added, and particularly helicopters."

There is already some indication of more assets on the way for the MSA.

Last October, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency sent notification to Congress of the State Department's intention to provide eight GRC43M cutters to Pakistan under a foreign military sales transfer.

These are intended to help Pakistan ensure security in its coastal waters and the EEZ.

Though nothing has been heard of this proposal since then, Khan understands it may have progressed to the stage where Pakistani personnel have traveled to the US to undergo training on the type.

Ultimately, however, Khan is unconvinced of the wisdom of establishing a new force, and highlights that there are already a number of organizations of overlapping responsibility including various provincial level Anti Narcotics Force units that complicate matters and drain resources.

"Establishing a brand new organization will take a lot of time and energy and the financial burden would be something the already weak finances of the country cannot bear. This hodgepodge of several different paramilitary forces only creates financial burden."

I think Haris solution is more viable creating a new indepandent force gonna be expensive.

Bloody waste of money. What is the point of Marines? What seaborne attack are we contemplating? Attacking Oman? Or securing the sea?

First please, please please can we secure Karachi and FATA then we can think of the sea.
Well Navy is not participating in FATA and Karachi operations. They can't wait sitting hand on hand while the Army clears the operation. The thing is raising a military force is a long process and the sooner you start the better. You don't have to start with a bang, you can start slow and steady.

Well Navy is not participating in FATA and Karachi operations. They can't wait sitting hand on hand while the Army clears the operation. The thing is raising a military force is a long process and the sooner you start the better. You don't have to start with a bang, you can start slow and steady.

I know but the money would be better spent in securing law and order in hotspots like FATA and Karachi. I guess it is all about priority. I at any rate regard law and order and security of life and property to be No 1 problem in Pakistan right now. Look at those Shia that got killed ...

I presume this force is going to be for the economic corridor and has been confused or misinterpreted. OR there might be a need to closely watch the sea lanes to prevent equipment such as guns coming for rebels and terrorists in general courtesy of our loving neighbour.

Attacking Oman? Or securing the sea?
Attacking Oman would not require 12000 men... 10000 would do :pop:

Many questions remain unanswered. All we know so far is that it will be headed by a 3 star Admiral.

What will be the purpose of such force?
Why the sudden need for Marines?
Where will they operate? Are they meant to guard Gwadar?
What equipment will they have? Is Pakistan finally getting Amphibious assault ships which are considered vital for any amphibious military to effectively operate?

Pakistan Seeks New Force for Sea Boundaries
The move was announced Tuesday by Pakistan's Minister for Ports and Shipping Senator Kamran Michael who said a force of 12,000 Marines was to be raised and headed by a three star general. He added the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had sanctioned the program and the defense ministry had commenced work on establishing the force.."

This isn't that hard to understand. The sea boundaries of Pakistan have been extended by exploration zone's additions (by a few hundred miles). That means, like the remainder of the world (and considering Pakistan's growing economy), Pakistan would want her navy's power projection away from its shores.

That would serve another purpose also, the PN would keep around quarter to half of its assets outside of the immediate conflict zone with India, making it very difficult for the IN to blockade Karachi / Gawader port. More than likely, the PN would build a few temporary stations (for rotations), on a few Islands that are located in the few hundred miles economic and exploration zone. These would provide additional coverage and naval operational capability away from Pakistan's shored.

These 12,000 marines would be either used for that purpose or will be stationed around the ports and the naval soldiers currently assigned to that area will be sent to the expanded boundaries.

Pakistan first need to raise standard of average police and ranger.

Spot on there. Don't tell me I am the only one embarrased about our cops. The only "fear" about them is the stupid "No Fear" labels stuck on their backside. I mean which idiot came up with that idea. I swear there is some joker in Pakistan fully employed to come up with most banal names like "Elite mother*** Police" the only elite thing about them is they are No. 1 as*holes.

Sloppy, lazy, overweight, singularly lacking in any prefessionalism and corrupt to boot. We need to raise new police force across the country, minimum height and build, not fat slobs or stick insects, men with some gravitas, some decent education and give them proper conditions of work including training, equipment and no offence buy them decent friggin uniforms. No infant game outfits.

I would reduce the army by 50,000 men and the money transferred into new upgraded police force. We also need lots of police armoured vehicles.

I presume this force is going to be for the economic corridor and has been confused or misinterpreted. OR there might be a need to closely watch the sea lanes to prevent equipment such as guns coming for rebels and terrorists in general courtesy of our loving neighbour.

Attacking Oman would not require 12000 men... 10000 would do :pop:

I was being charitable in case we have some Omani members. Trust me, you, I, and Save ghenda could do it ......

Edit: We don't need a massive army now that we have nuclear weapons.

I would reduce the army by 50,000 men and the money transferred into new upgraded police force. We also need lots of police armoured vehicles.
I know you will not agree but for the people in Pakistan we need to reduce our police force and introduce MPs everywhere. An area which learns decency can get civilian police back. We are too hard headed and corrupted ourselves, how many times have we seen corruption being condemned until you break a signal yourself. Or the police trained by the military, the ATS that we have could be another solution. IF the terrorists have automatic weapons the police should have them also. And until we have gun control in this country whatever else we do will be useless.

I know you will not agree but for the people in Pakistan we need to reduce our police force and introduce MPs everywhere. An area which learns decency can get civilian police back. We are too hard headed and corrupted ourselves, how many times have we seen corruption being condemned until you break a signal yourself. Or the police trained by the military, the ATS that we have could be another solution. IF the terrorists have automatic weapons the police should have them also. And until we have gun control in this country whatever else we do will be useless.

What made you think I would disagree with that? When I say police I mean law enforcement. Call it Military police, rangers, interior security force I don't care. what we need most of all in Pakistan is absolute sanction of state. You see force has to be arrogated by the state. At the moment the state has lost monopoly over focre,. every two bit a*sshole comes along and challanges the state. The Pakistani state is weaker then a wimpy teenager.

The state has to win back ansolute control over every square inch of the country. That is what soverignity means. We can only do it by having a very stronmg internal force. I don't care what name you give it. for sure it is going to have to be armed like a paramilitary force just to handle Taliban, mad mullahs, mad political pressure groups, criminal groups and other riff raff of society.

The Turks have Jandarma, the Russians the FSB Internal Security troops and other countries with internal problems like China all have very strong internal security police that act like the stormtroopers of the state. They weld the country togather and hold it like a iron vice grip. We need that in our country from the snowy mountains in the north down the plains to the deserts.

General Command of Gendarmerie

jandarma_mavi_giyecek13848538590_h1096646.jpg

images

Chinese Security Police

Policemen+from+the+Special+Weapons+and+Tactics+%2528SWAT%2529+team+stand+in+a+formation+during+a+drill+in+Wuhan.jpg

Scents-based-riot-control-and-sound-waves.jpg

What made you think I would disagree with that? When I say police I mean law enforcement. Call it Military police, rangers, interior security force I don't care. what we need most of all in Pakistan is absolute sanction of state. You see force has to be arrogated by the state. At the moment the state has lost monopoly over focre,. every two bit a*sshole comes along and challanges the state. The Pakistani state is weaker then a wimpy teenager.

The state has to win back ansolute control over every square inch of the country. That is what soverignity means. We can only do it by having a very stronmg internal force. I don't care what name you give it. for sure it is going to have to be armed like a paramilitary force just to handle Taliban, mad mullahs, mad political pressure groups, criminal groups and other riff raff of society.

The Turks have Jandarma, the Russians the FSB Internal Security troops and other countries with internal problems like China all have very strong internal security police that act like the stormtroopers of the state. They weld the country togather and hold it like a iron vice grip. We need that in our country from the snowy mountains in the north down the plains to the deserts.

General Command of Gendarmerie

jandarma_mavi_giyecek13848538590_h1096646.jpg

images

Chinese Security Police

Policemen+from+the+Special+Weapons+and+Tactics+%2528SWAT%2529+team+stand+in+a+formation+during+a+drill+in+Wuhan.jpg

Scents-based-riot-control-and-sound-waves.jpg

Karachi rangers

Karachi-Rangers.jpg

karachi-rangers-security.jpg

Average Pakistani is either too fat or skinny thanks to poverty and other factors. These people get in to rangers etc in early 20's when people generarly don't get fat. But after certain age 27+ if one doesn't take care of himself this is what happens.

Karachi rangers

Karachi-Rangers.jpg

karachi-rangers-security.jpg

Average Pakistani is either too fat or skinny thanks to poverty and other factors. These people get in to rangers etc in early 20's when people generarly don't get fat. But after certain age 27+ if one doesn't take care of himself this is what happens.

Too fat or too skinny. Solution feed the bast*ards when they too skinny and make fat bas*tards run 5 miles a day. United States Marine requires even a 46 year old Lt.General to pass annual physical test by running 3 miles in less than 33 minutes. Click below. I would have this standard for all men. Also look at that stupd vehicle? Is that a joke? They should have a proper armoured vehicle.

United States Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

images

images

Thats why I don't give a flying frigg for the sea. Can we please get control of our land first please? Pretty please? We can think about sealanes after. Our jokers can't control the land but want to police the sea lanes ...jokers?

Save the money by reducing army by 50,000 men, sell one naval ship, reduce the tank strength by 200 tanks. If India ever attacks the only that is going to stop those ****holes is fear of our nukes not our tanks. All money saved build up the best internal security force in the world and get back control of our country from all the scumbags.

Those Indian's trust me are NOT going to attack us knowing we have nukes. I am more worrried we will lose our country to scumbags while we have our eyes on India. Nukes will keep the Indians safely beyond the border,

I know I am blowing my trumpet but I walk 3 miles everyday in 55 minutes which is in fast pace. I am 53 year old. Those fat pot bellies must be less than 40 and look all that pilau and biryani has done to them.

Last edited:
Pakistan already has marines, although it numbered at only 2000 atm. Whenever US conducts military operations on foreign soil, it uses U.S.M.C (United States Marine Corp). Maybe it will serve a similar purpose. It could be used to conduct a sea-borne assault where needed(i.e. gulf nations, india)

and buy these lazy slobs razor blades. Report to duty, have a shower and shave. This look of getting out of bed, slapping on crappy clothes with a bedraggled unshaven face does not suit a uniformed disciplined organisation. That is my opinion anyway. Your men must have a impressive look to gain awe and respect from public.

I know these are border gaurds but frankly look at our guys. Learn to friggin stand straight, is that not what initial training to march should do. stand with erect posture? Look at our faggot on right side? He needs to be pensioned off. Then look at the cartoon uniforms our boys are wearing? Then unshaven bedraggled look? Friggin embarrasing. If these guy's can't stand straight, waer proper uniforms, tidy themselves what fly frigg can you expect them to do? Just collect their wages? Look at the Chinese for comparison? Most Chinese I have met are small and whimpy but even their police is better then ours.

And what is that gandoo red thing wrapped around? Friggin joke?

189%20Chinese%20and%20Pakistan%20guards%20Khunjerab%20Pass.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom