What's new

Pakistan To Participate In Turkey’s TFX Next-Gen Fighter Aircraft Program

As per our own ACM we are just conceptualizing what an ideal next-gen platform would look like, so we're not too far off from where the Turks are in this regard. I expect the PAF would induct such a platform around the late 2020s, maybe even early 2030s.
Being risk averse i would have a really good look at the Chinese offerings as there will be one sooner than that. The Turks would be good for subsystems to induct in your platform but i dont think we will go with a provider which has no history of developing planes at all.

Last edited:
Being risk averse i would have a really good look at the Chinese offerings as there will be one sooner than that. The Turks would be good for subsystems to induct in your platform but i dont think we will go with a provider which has no history of developing planes at all.
One highly possible scenario can be where PAF opts for what the Chinese have to offer, induct and and start using it as it is. This will make it possible to get a fifth gen. relatively earlier (compered to Turkish option). Later on when the Turkish system matures we may see some of the goodies inducted in the 5th generation PAF already have in service, that will give us that taste of western tech that we are looking for. Two birds with one stone. However, it is MUCH easier said than done.

Last edited:
Being risk averse i would have a really good look at the Chinese offerings as there will be one sooner than that. The Turks would be good for subsystems to induct in your platform but i dont think we will go with a perovider which has no history of developing planes at all.
We have to remember that "China" is not a singular entity. The PAF has had a developmental relationship with Chengdu, not Shenyang, which is currently leading the FC-31 program. Furthermore, next-gen fighter development is expensive, and without orders from the PLAAF or PLAN, the PAF would end up sustaining the burden of the R&D overhead of the FC-31. So these (lack of scale and different vendor) are two issues with the FC-31 at the moment.

Also, we need to pay more attention to what the PAF is saying. It is very telling that in the context of the next-gen platform, the ACM did not mention the Chinese. I take this is as a sign that not all bets are off, that an alternative scenario that we don't consider likely could be under examination.

We have to remember that "China" is not a singular entity. The PAF has had a developmental relationship with Chengdu, not Shenyang, which is currently leading the FC-31 program. Furthermore, next-gen fighter development is expensive, and without orders from the PLAAF or PLAN, the PAF would end up sustaining the burden of the R&D overhead of the FC-31. So these (lack of scale and different vendor) are two issues with the FC-31 at the moment.

Also, we need to pay more attention to what the PAF is saying. It is very telling that in the context of the next-gen platform, the ACM did not mention the Chinese. I take this is as a sign that not all bets are off, that an alternative scenario that we don't consider likely could be under examination.
Given the fact that the Chinbese will have few takers for their 5th generation offerings, they will have to keep the price competitive. PAFs needs for the 5th generation fighter will be small so they will likely get platforms off the shelf. I think what the PAF has said has been said in relation to 6th generation platform which we may develop of our own steam (if that ever comes anbout).

Given the fact that the Chinbese will have few takers for their 5th generation offerings, they will have to keep the price competitive. PAFs needs for the 5th generation fighter will be small so they will likely get platforms off the shelf. I think what the PAF has said has been said in relation to 6th generation platform which we may develop of our own steam (if that ever comes anbout).
It depends on whether Beijing (in the absence of a PLAAF or PLAN order) is willing to invest in the FC-31 and not distribute the R&D overhead to buyers. Instead, play the long-game by exacting a small profit atop of the cost of materials and labour. The risk in this approach is that they may not profit off the program, especially if there's only 1 or 2 FC-31 customers.

Pakistan options are FC31 & TFX, as SU35 is probably not going to happen. So this is a good opportunity for Pakistan to be part of FC31 & TFX program. Although FC31 has advanced further, but still a lot can be done to improve FC31 by both Pak & Chinese research & engineer team, but who knows may be Pakistan is already part of FC31 project.

It depends on whether Beijing (in the absence of a PLAAF or PLAN order) is willing to invest in the FC-31 and not distribute the R&D overhead to buyers. Instead, play the long-game by exacting a small profit atop of the cost of materials and labour. The risk in this approach is that they may not profit off the program, especially if there's only 1 or 2 FC-31 customers.
if Select TFX, we are ok, have a good luck. Plaaf will not select FC31;Plan maybe,but not sure,theoritcally F31 is easy to be deployed on AC,but Plan want longer range and larger munition capacity. For SAC,Developping FC31, one side , want to be successfull in market, the other side, even not succeed, not a big deal, at least build up the experience and R&D team, pave the way for 6th generation figher.until now there is no signs of FC31 will be state fianced. According to SAC, some oversea custmer already talk about co-development, seems to be not parkistan which still puzzled between FC31/TFX. when FC31 matured, i think there will be policy of first in first get.but considering the relationship, in some specail situation, parkistan maybe can get some priority and good price,but this is not just decided by china

Last edited:
PAF next Gen choice will highly be depended on JF-17 block 3 and its Performance results ..its not a Fact just my Opinion ..

PAF next Gen choice will highly be depended on JF-17 block 3 and its Performance results ..its not a Fact just my Opinion ..
don't put much wish on it, a aircraft potential and limitation has been fixed on the design phase.just like whatever upgration, don't wish a upgraded F4 to take on F16. the next generation is borned to kill the old one.

Lool Really? I haven't heard anything as such.
Shouldn't really be surprising, the coup has done quite a bit of damage to the Turkish economy, even their credit rating has gone down to essentially junk. They're going to have to rebuild investor confidence, and while it will take a while, they'll probably come out stronger, as the chances of another coup (or merely military interference) are essentially dead.

don't put much wish on it, a aircraft potential and limitation has been fixed on the design phase.just like whatever upgration, don't wish a upgraded F4 to take on F16. the next generation is borned to kill the old one.

i haven't wish for anything .. i believe that PAF will be looking at block 3 Performance compared to F-16 block 52's ... after new EU suites , more hard points , and Engine upgrade ( if ) and IFR, HOBS etc
the next Gen will be chosen very carefully .. lots of Members here think Su-35 , J-31 and TFX might make their way, but i would not completely phase out the Possibility of F35's here , Of course it will be depending on US-Pakistan Relationship and time will play crucial part here ...if Paf have something in mind to get 5th gen after 2025.. than i wont be surprised if they formally request F-35's from US , to keep the Balance of Power in S.A

For china, everything is ok, even if you can get F35, we are happy with your safety. but just don't waste the time ,keep calm and clear,make the right decision.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom