What's new

Pakistan to dig trench for securing Afghan border

Jinnah

Reaction score
QUETTA: Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Nasser Khan Janjua said on Wednesday that efforts were afoot to dig a deep trench to secure the long and porous border with Afghanistan.
“The Afghan intelligence agency is involved in target killings, bomb blasts and insurgency in Balochistan and a deep trench along the border will help make the area safe,” he said addressing a tribal Jirga in the border town of Chaman. Inspector General Frontier Corps Major General Ejaz Shahid was also present.
Janjua said a handful of disgruntled people were creating disturbance in the province at the behest of foreign elements. Majority of the people in Balochistan were patriots, who had always proved their patriotism and affection for the country, he added.
He said it was Pakistan, which had made great sacrifices for the restoration of peace in the region. “The Afghan tribesmen entering Pakistan must know that they are our brothers as we have given them shelter and taken care of them for last 30 years.
“We have blood relations with our Afghan brothers and nobody can isolate us from them,” Lieutenant General Janjua added. He, however, said smuggling of flour to Afghanistan at the cost of its shortage in Pakistan would not be allowed.
The tribesmen assured the military leadership of their support and pledged to cooperate with the government and security forces in their efforts to maintain peace. The Commander Southern Command and IGFC visited the border areas where Commandant Chaman Colonel Haider Ali gave them a detailed briefing about the security measures taken along the border.

Pakistan to dig trench for securing Afghan border - thenews.com.pk
Security issues: Pakistan to dig trench on Afghan border – The Express Tribune

Members, lets discuss would it be a good way of securing border? what would be its effectiveness and cost

QUETTA: Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Nasser Khan Janjua said on Wednesday that efforts were afoot to dig a deep trench to secure the long and porous border with Afghanistan.
“The Afghan intelligence agency is involved in target killings, bomb blasts and insurgency in Balochistan and a deep trench along the border will help make the area safe,” he said addressing a tribal Jirga in the border town of Chaman. Inspector General Frontier Corps Major General Ejaz Shahid was also present.
Janjua said a handful of disgruntled people were creating disturbance in the province at the behest of foreign elements. Majority of the people in Balochistan were patriots, who had always proved their patriotism and affection for the country, he added.
He said it was Pakistan, which had made great sacrifices for the restoration of peace in the region. “The Afghan tribesmen entering Pakistan must know that they are our brothers as we have given them shelter and taken care of them for last 30 years.
“We have blood relations with our Afghan brothers and nobody can isolate us from them,” Lieutenant General Janjua added. He, however, said smuggling of flour to Afghanistan at the cost of its shortage in Pakistan would not be allowed.
The tribesmen assured the military leadership of their support and pledged to cooperate with the government and security forces in their efforts to maintain peace. The Commander Southern Command and IGFC visited the border areas where Commandant Chaman Colonel Haider Ali gave them a detailed briefing about the security measures taken along the border.

Members, lets discuss would it be a good way of securing border? what would be its effectiveness and cost
patha laga ker koi cross kernay lag jai ga...Ideas bohot hain iss quam mein ultay kaam kernay kay!

Is this even practical??
Pakistan is not a citadel limited to a few sq.kilometers area,but a huge country and Pak's border with Afghan runs into thousands of kilometers....digging a trench isnt gonna help.

1) Technology is the only way forward , hidden security cameras would be just one example.
2) Bring in soldiers posted on borders from non border states.
3) More man power on the borders.
4)Disrupt and dismantle transnational criminal and terrorist organizations.
5) Pak would definitely need Afghan's cooperation so thaw any issues that Pak has with them.
This is something that was was successfully executed on the permeable US-Mexico border...I hope the same is done on India-BD border too.

So we are digging a trench, well it is a start. After which it should go:
1. Fencing (barbed wire), gates etc.
2. Pill boxes every thousand yards.
3. "Kill nests", where we have fast responding rifle companies, every 10 miles.
4. UAV monitoring.

The Afghan border now is the biggest liability for us.

Go ahead mine the whole damn border ...

Mines are probably one of the most effective, but ultimately the least ethical solution. And we aren't savages who know to plant mines where civilians cross.

I'd rather have Afghans who snuk through than dead ones on the border because we placed mines.

So we are digging a trench, well it is a start. After which it should go:
1. Fencing (barbed wire), gates etc.
2. Pill boxes every thousand yards.
3. "Kill nests", where we have fast responding rifle companies, every 10 miles.
4. UAV monitoring.

The Afghan border now is the biggest liability for us.

Just fencing the LoC with Pakistan costed indians upwards of $ 300 million..maintaining it costs tens of millions every year and our defene budget is $40 billion.

Pak afghan border is 2500km long, fencing manning and monitoring it will cost pakistan several billion dollars..When pakistans entire defene budget is just 7 billion.

Mines are probably one of the most effective, but ultimately the least ethical solution. And we aren't savages who know to plant mines where civilians cross.

I'd rather have Afghans who snuk through than dead ones on the border because we placed mines.
I feel where you coming from, but what's the solution? You guys need to take a tough call, either to take scorch earth route or more humint oriented one.

I feel where you coming from, but what's the solution? You guys need to take a tough call, either to take scorch earth route or more humint oriented one.

No, we can't do that. Even if it was the ONLY solution, nobody would stand for it, neither would I. It's bad enough for some people in the border areas that we're talking about splitting the physical link between people who've shared history. We can't do it in that way.

What we truly need is a stable Afghanistan that can provide for it's own people. And if the government is friendly to us, we will help them in that mission. Truly, without Pakistan, long term progress in Afghanistan is affected. But if Afghans are in so bad, then the effect is transferred on to us too. Afghanistan has been at war for 35 years and we've housed millions of them since.

That is a step towards the only real long term solution. But for now, I suppose we have to put up fences where they're need and deploy security forces where the militant factor comes in.

I think if I were to put a price on how much an open border has cost Pakistan, my guess would be somewhere in the tens of billions of dollars. An expensive solution might be worth it.

No, we can't do that. Even if it was the ONLY solution, nobody would stand for it, neither would I. It's bad enough for some people in the border areas that we're talking about splitting the physical link between people who've shared history. We can't do it in that way.

What we truly need is a stable Afghanistan that can provide for it's own people. And if the government is friendly to us, we will help them in that mission. Truly, without Pakistan, long term progress in Afghanistan is affected. But if Afghans are in so bad, then the effect is transferred on to us too. Afghanistan has been at war for 35 years and we've housed millions of them since.

That is a step towards the only real long term solution. But for now, I suppose we have to put up fences where they're need and deploy security forces where the militant factor comes in.

I think if I were to put a price on how much an open border has cost Pakistan, my guess would be somewhere in the tens of billions of dollars. An expensive solution might be worth it.
It's a really tough call, I have to agree with that. I wish people on the either side of the border realize for a better future they need to work together and not against each other. Our region has seen lot of blood shed (causes for such conflicts can be debated about for decades and centuries). I wish Pakistan and Afghanistan to have a better and more friendly future. Don't want to butt in unnecessarily in this discussion any further, But good luck with the future guys !!!

Just fencing the LoC with Pakistan costed indians upwards of $ 300 million..maintaining it costs tens of millions every year and our defene budget is $40 billion.

Pak afghan border is 2500km long, fencing manning and monitoring it will cost pakistan several billion dollars..When pakistans entire defene budget is just 7 billion.

I understand that. But compared to the tens of billions we are losing from attacks, it all balances out. Civil funds may have to be taken from KP to ensure we complete it.

thodi insaaniyaat baqi hai abhi yaar :angel:
I know and that's what these people feed on. We would stand in front our women and kids to protect them but they won't blink once before blowing up the whole damn market. Like I said earlier .. being an Indian even my general contribution here can be mistaken as trolling so I would just wish you guys good luck and happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom