What's new

Pakistan test-fires Hataf-VIII cruise missile

Jane's Information Group

Pakistan successfully test-fires Hatf 8 a second time

Trefor Moss JDW Asia-Pacific Editor - London

Pakistan conducted a second successful test firing of the Hatf 8 (Raad) cruise missile on 8 May, according to a military statement.

The low-altitude, air-launched missile, which has a range of 350 km, was previously test fired in August 2007 from a Pakistan Air Force Dassault Mirage fighter. The circumstances of the latest test were not disclosed.

The Raad would enable "Pakistan to achieve a greater strategic stand-off capability on land and at sea", the statement said.

It also pointed to the missile's "special stealth capabilities", describing it as a "low-altitude, terrain-following missile with high manoeuvrability".

The test came a day after India test-fired an Agni-III intermediate-range ballistic missile.

Looking at the image of the Ra'ad on the back of the truck (in the video posted by Dynamic Dynasty - 0:07), I wonder if the AWC's claim of "stealth design" goes beyond mere Ram coatings.

Unlike the Babur, the Ra'ad is quite blocky, and it would appear unlikely that such a blocky design would be the obvious choice vs the typically cylindrical design of most missiles.

Agno the squarish shape may help deflect some radiation but most ALCMs are squarish because the fuselage itself helps provide some lift which is welcome, they don't have to be launched from tubes so no need of a cylindrical body or popping wings and intakes.

Well congratulations… just one question… was this test pre-planned?

yeh since we knew India was going to test one before us ;)

Ok no offence here… I meant to say, was the date fixed beforehand or was the test scheduled after the Indian test… the Agni III test was delayed by some days due to ecological concerns (Riddley turtles)…

That’s what I meant to ask…

Ok no offence here… I meant to say, was the date fixed beforehand or was the test scheduled after the Indian test… the Agni III test was delayed by some days due to ecological concerns (Riddley turtles)…

That’s what I meant to ask…

There is no similarity at all between Agni and RA'AD. Use some of your own common sense.

I now that... its just that the timing seemed a bit too co-incidental...

come on Vish - tit for tat. that is the essence of india - pak relations!

But testing a 350km missile against testing for a 3000km missile? doesn't give any tit for tat thing cos no may 3000km missile is something like now pakistan is under Indian missile umbrella, both the countries are under significant threat from other's missile. Or it is just cos you have tested i will also "test".

But testing a 350km missile against testing for a 3000km missile? doesn't give any tit for tat thing cos no may 3000km missile is something like now pakistan is under Indian missile umbrella, both the countries are under significant threat from other's missile. Or it is just cos you have tested i will also "test".
The Agni 3 is targeted at China. Pakistan has been under India's nuclear umbrella for a while now. The Shaheen 2 put almost all of India under Pakistan's nuclear umbrella, and one out of the last two tests (shaheen 2) was carried out by the ASFC (Army Strategic Force Command) instead of NESCOM scientists, indicating that the missile may be completely operationally ready now.

The Ra'ad test is not a typical "Tit for Tat" test. The development of a missile with a range greater than the Shaheen2 does little for Pakistan vis a vis India (you are already covered). However, development of LACM's, ALCM's, SLCM's is a diversification of Pakistan's capabilities, conventional and nuclear.

Just that one tit was larger than the other:cheesy::rofl::enjoy:Sorry could,nt resist.
Araz

Looking at the image of the Ra'ad on the back of the truck (in the video posted by Dynamic Dynasty - 0:07), I wonder if the AWC's claim of "stealth design" goes beyond mere Ram coatings.

Unlike the Babur, the Ra'ad is quite blocky, and it would appear unlikely that such a blocky design would be the obvious choice vs the typically cylindrical design of most missiles.

Might be due to the design features needed on the planes that it will be used from, there is aerodynamic involved installing large weapon like Ra'ad to any of the PAF planes. Hmmm it should be improved, you have a valid point there AN. As I understand is that stealth comes from complex cuts on the figure by which the object can evade radar waves, shapes designed on the stealth object are oscillation shapes i.e. they change in sequence but start again like a pattern, rather the Ra'ad looks fairly basic.

Back
Top Bottom