• Islamabad United

• Lahore Qalanders

• Peshawar Zalmi

• Quetta Gladiators

• Karachi Kings

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to see Lahore and Peshawar team has chosen in name in local languages , other teams should have done something similar ... for Lahore, Badshahs was a good names too

qalanders.jpg

Heard Azhar Ali & Hafeez today have boycotted the training camp in Lahore, just to avoid Aamir's company.
Get over it guys, give the guy some space..
I agree with you. They should get rid of this holier-than-thou approach
but at the same amir need to be humble by getting this second chance instead of being cocky ..funny that in BPL amir got more attention than hafeez, misbah or any other pakistani..what will happen if they select amir in national team if he performed good in psl

PSL fantasy: Gayle versus Amir at the Gaddafi stadium
ROHA NADEEM

It’s the last over. The emotions in the stadium are palpable. Chris Gayle is on strike, facing Mohammad Amir who is stretching for his last run-up of the game.

I glance around to see the entire Gadaffi stadium on its feet; hands in the air — young and old alike. Five runs are required off the last ball. The match is exhilarating. Is it going to be Lahore Qalandars or Karachi Kings?

I secretly wish for Lahore’s win and hope that thousands of people sharing the stands with me do, too.

Amir delivers the final ball. The bat makes a sweet sound as Gayle connects.

And then I hear a faint, unpleasant noise; a sound I do not want to recognise. I focus my attention on locating the ball. But the sound is getting louder, clouding my thoughts.

I wake up to find myself in my bedroom, getting late for class. I quickly get dressed and run to the university.

Pakistan Super League (PSL) is all over the news. After years of false starts, the idea of Pakistan’s own mighty T20 league finally seems to be materialising. Ever since the idea was put forward in 2007, cricket fans have been on the lookout for the finalised project to surface, restlessly dreaming for it to come true.

Well, wait no more.

The PSL will be taking place between February 4-23 next year. After closely considering the different venues, the board decided to opt for Dubai and Sharjah for the inaugural season.

Stars like Gayle, Shane Watson, Brett Lee, Kevin Peitersen (to name a few) are on board, while Mickey Arthur, Moin Khan, Mushtaq Ahmed and Paddy Upton among others have also been finalised for the coaching panel.

The first edition of PSL will feature five teams namely Karachi Kings, Quetta Gladiators, Lahore Qalandars, Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi. Even though the Karachi and Islamabad franchises could have been a tad creative with their names, fans from the respective cities are elated on seeing these teams surface.

Earnings per player are categorised as follows:

• Platinum $140,000
  • Diamond $70,000
  • Gold $50,000.
It is said that the junior players in the Silver category are likely to earn $25,000 each, while players from the Emerging category are likely to earn $10,000 each during the league.

This is particularly rewarding for local players who miss out on earning a decent amount through domestic games alone. This financial stimulus will also play a substantial part in encouraging budding cricketers from across Pakistan to pursue the game professionally.

Ensuring that these players have a shot at earning decent amounts may also abate the prevalence of activities like gambling, match-fixing — though this is still debatable.

Nonetheless, PSL is promising a lucrative overall package for the junior players. Apart from the attractive financial incentives, sharing the dressing room with names like Chris Gayle, Shane Watson, Kevin Pietersen, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Brad Haddin and co can go a long way in prepping young players for the future.

With no substantial international cricket at home for a while, this opportunity of playing with and against international giants of the game will greatly nurture the local players’ skill sets.

Moreover, the PSL is likely to elevate the junior players’ confidence and may also impart in them a sense of professionalism — something we need big time.

The PSL is also providing an opportunity to learn from the masters themselves. It has appointed a talented panel of local and foreign coaches to mentor and groom the players for the three-week clash.

Paddy Upton (South Africa) is on board with the Lahore Qalandars as the head coach, Moin Khan will be seen with the Quetta Gladiators, Islamabad United have bagged Dean Jones (Australia), Peshawar Zalmi have appointed Mohammad Akram while Mickey Arthur (South Africa) will be coaching Karachi Kings.

Training under these veterans will markedly refine the developing players in terms of technique, communication and attitude.

Where there are costs concerned with staging such an event abroad, there will also be substantial revenue generated due to the venue factor.

I know it’s pitiable not getting to experience the PSL at home, but the board has been capitalising on UAE as home turf for a good number of years now. It does not take a genius to estimate the expected crowd that the PSL will be able to pull. UAE is filled with cricket fans from the subcontinent so do not be surprised at seeing a full-house!

From the Pathans with Afridi banners to the Gayle fans, everyone will turn up to watch their stars perform.

Moreover, February in the Gulf is pleasantly chilly, which will further boost the crowds. Revenues generated by the board through gate-money/ticketing along with sponsorship/broadcasting rights, after distribution among the franchises, will be plowed back into the development of cricket in the country.

Instead of conducting trials across the country to dig out fast bowlers, this money should be invested in providing better facilities to regional training camps and clubs.

To some degree, it is indeed regrettable that the PSL will not be played at its home, where it belongs. To say that the fans across the country are dying to witness their heroes play some remarkable cricket would be stating the obvious.

Despite Zaka Ashraf’s hopes and efforts to stage the league in Pakistan, it was understood since the beginning that this would most likely not be the case.

However, we can all bet on the fact that if the league succeeds in making waves, it will inevitably come home in two to four years. Everything depends on how well the board is able to execute the event, create a universal appeal, brand PSL successfully and avoid negative publicity.

It is said that the franchises will grow from five to eight in the next four years, which means an influx of players and stakeholders is expected. It will be intriguing to see how soon PCB brings the league home.

Maybe soon I will find my partially abandoned Gadaffi stadium dream become a reality.

Good luck, PCB!

Roha Nadeem is a Kuwait-based freelance cricket writer.

After formerly representing Kuwait’s National Under-19 women’s cricket team, she now puts her passion into words. She runs a blog at rohanadym.blogspot.com.

Bad news for Karachi fans :(
Without proper wicket keeper what will they do in final rounds.
again bad selection showing its colors.:close_tema:
Bangladeshi cricketers set to return early from PSL 2016

the first Pakistan Super League aka PSL is set to start very soon. Since insian players arent going there and very few players from other countries are participating, PSL will heavily rely on Bangladesh players. Players like Shakib, Mushfiq, Soumya, Mustafiz are hot players playing in PSL.

Now there is a bad news for the teams that have bought these players as these players might need to return to Bangladesh before PSL ends. Bangladesh team will be playing Asia Cup just after the PSL ending but they need to be in camp before that and that is the main reason they might end up missing the last session off.

in PSL Shakib and Mushfq is in the same team while Tamim, Mustafiz has found 2 different teams to play in. however, not all Bangladeshi player will be missing this as only those included in the Asia cup will be missing it. Meaning players like Imrul Kyes who has very less chance of being in the team if not for his performance in BPL then he might be able to play the entire tournament.

Loosing these players will be a big blow for the respective teams but they should take pre caution for this as this is the most possible outline now.

Bad news for Karachi fans :(
Without proper wicket keeper what will they do in final rounds.
again bad selection showing its colors.:close_tema:

the first Pakistan Super League aka PSL is set to start very soon. Since insian players arent going there and very few players from other countries are participating, PSL will heavily rely on Bangladesh players. Players like Shakib, Mushfiq, Soumya, Mustafiz are hot players playing in PSL.

Now there is a bad news for the teams that have bought these players as these players might need to return to Bangladesh before PSL ends. Bangladesh team will be playing Asia Cup just after the PSL ending but they need to be in camp before that and that is the main reason they might end up missing the last session off.

in PSL Shakib and Mushfq is in the same team while Tamim, Mustafiz has found 2 different teams to play in. however, not all Bangladeshi player will be missing this as only those included in the Asia cup will be missing it. Meaning players like Imrul Kyes who has very less chance of being in the team if not for his performance in BPL then he might be able to play the entire tournament.

Loosing these players will be a big blow for the respective teams but they should take pre caution for this as this is the most possible outline now.

each team has 4 supplementary players not to mention that 1 extra international player who will not play
so no worries
Karachi has dilshan and shahzaib in supplemenatry plus fawad

each team has 4 supplementary players not to mention that 1 extra international player who will not play
so no worries
Karachi has dilshan and shahzaib in supplemenatry plus fawad
Karachi have 3 supplementary players and non of them is wicket keeper, plus I don't think TM dilshan will be available., we have saifullah bangash as wicket keeper but again at such pace attack and in front of whole world you cannot expect so much from a young infamous wicket keeper. we are heavily relaying on Mushfiq ur rahim .

I watched the draft with my father my first opinion was lack of proper digital banners / TV demos showcasing the player selected , his stats and past experience , in a nice digital format. I did not not knew the full list of players from where clubs were selecting the players I had to search it on website

So from organization perspective vs NBA draft etc it was not same caliber but decent attempt

I would have preferred they had 8 Teams from Pakistan

7 - Team from Multan - Coach Inzimam Ul Haq/Mohammad Yousuf
(Team Captain : Younis Khan)
Paul Collingwood

Shaun Tait
Ajantha Mendis
Tim Bresnan

Faisal Iqbal
Taufeeq Umar
Azhar Mahmood
Rafatullah Mohmand
Mohammad Talha
Emerging player 1
Emerging player 2

8 - Team from Rawalpindi- Coach Shoaib Akhtar
(Team Capain : Abdul Razzaq)
Lasith Malinga
Brett Lee
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Monty Panesar

Imran Farhat
Nasir Jamshed
Yasir Hameed
Hammad Azam
Adnan Akmal
Imran Khan (Junior)
Emerging player 1
Emerging player 2

Would have been possible ... to have 2 more teams

Considering there were so many players still available for selection

Last edited:
Karachi have 3 supplementary players and non of them is wicket keeper, plus I don't think TM dilshan will be available., we have saifullah bangash as wicket keeper but again at such pace attack and in front of whole world you cannot expect so much from a young infamous wicket keeper. we are heavily relaying on Mushfiq ur rahim .
5666978432_978df541b6_b.jpg

@Xzok0 So, you are suggesting that a part time keeper is enough, i can bet that he will miss more chances of stump and catches specially against spin attack, and in such tournament each dropped catch would create huge difference. He may do the job behind wickets but effectiveness is a question here. each franchise is spending millions and they don't have regular wicket keeper for final rounds, thats where selection failed.

@Xzok0 So, you are suggesting that a part time keeper is enough, i can bet that he will miss more chances of stump and catches specially against spin attack, and in such tournament each dropped catch would create huge difference. He may do the job behind wickets but effectiveness is a question here. each franchise is spending millions and they don't have regular wicket keeper for final rounds, thats where selection failed.
its my team and i think they did well on selection if u dont like it dont support them

Quetta Gladiators sign Sir Viv Richards as mentor
AGENCIES — UPDATED ABOUT 7 HOURS AGO

WHATSAPP

13 COMMENTS

EMAIL

PRINT

Sir Viv Richards. — AFP/File
KARACHI: Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Quetta Gladiators owner Nadeem Omar is confident that the addition of legendary Sir Vivian Richards as team mentor would certainly boost the team’s hopes of claiming the title in the inaugural edition of the event.

The big West Indian dominated bowlers for almost 15 years, between 1975 and 1990, with his brave batting displays and won over the crowd wherever he went with his extraordinary batting displays.

“There aren’t many players who come close to the stature and aura of Viv Richards and he would certainly give us the cutting edge to win the title with his knowledge of the game,” Nadeem said in a statement.

“He was intimidating and daunting in his playing time and he still posses the same charisma. We’re sure that once he would work with our players and sit in our dugout, the opposition would be on the backfoot as they would know that Viv is mentoring our guns. I’m sure that he would turn the good into better and the better ones into the best ones.”

During his glittering career, Richards played 121 Tests amassing 8,540 runs with a staggering average of 50.23 scoring 24 centuries and 45 half-centuries.

He was well ahead of the time and played at a brisk strike-rate even in that era as he accumulated 6,721 runs in 187 One-day Internationals at an average of 47 with a fantastic strike-rate of 90.20. The right-handed batsman scored 11 centuries and 45 fifties in ODIs and is still regarded as one of the most fearsome batsmen of all-time.

Richards would join the Gladiators’ team directly in the United Arab Emirates.
Quetta Gladiators sign Sir Viv Richards as mentor - Newspaper - DAWN.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom