What's new

Pakistan Researching Nuclear Fusion.

NOT much for military purposes since this is not really Hydrogen/Fusion bomb material

A tokamak is essential for researching plasma properties and fusion reaction properties itself. The tokamak is a magnetic confinement device and is a candidate for delving into controlled thermonuclear fusion power. The keyword here is controlled. The GLAST, developed by China and PAEC is essential for Pakistan to study plasma properties and get a hang of plasma physics.

Currently the tokamak programs are being controlled in a coordinated effort under the ITER program which involves the following member nations- European Union as a block, India, Japan, People's Republic of China, Russia, South Korea, and the United States of America. Commencing on this path will be very beneficial for Pakistan, specially when it makes its own tokamak a few years down the line, Pakistan may even be able to enter ITER or DEMO. India itself completed its first tokamak ADITYA in 1989 and gained entry into ITER in 2005 due to our second tokamak- the solid state SST-1. Pakistan's GLAST is taken from the HT-6M of Hefei. It is a circular limiter configuration and has been copied on the exact same parameters of the HT-6M and HT-6B. The HT-6M has been replaced by the new superconducting tokamak EAST while HT-6B has been given to Iran.
@Hyperion @arp2041 btw remember the Iranian claims of building a "nuclear fusion reactor" , yup that was just the HT-6B that China gave them as a gift for good behavior.

@Secur samjha isse the importance of research. :D

Below is a picture of the HT-6M:-

xfys8u2.jpg

btw remember the Iranian claims of building a "nuclear fusion reactor" , yup that was just the HT-6B that China gave them as a gift for good behavior.

How do you know that? We have one Iranian member claiming Iran has built it's own small tokamak nuclear fusion reactor.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/irania...a-confinement-device-tokamak.html#post4724530

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know that? We have one Iranian member claiming Iran has built it's own small tokamak nuclear fusion reactor.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/irania...a-confinement-device-tokamak.html#post4724530

If Iran built a Tokamak on its own before Pakistan then you need to excuse me- there is someone I need to have a good laugh with ( @Hyperion- you want to administer the cyanide yourself or do you need help)- you folks are ahead in that field and the GLAST is not Pakistan's first encounter with a tokamak. Although Iran has made good strides for a nation that has been needlessly targeted by all and sundry.

If Iran built a Tokamak on its own before Pakistan then you need to excuse me- there is someone I need to have a good laugh with ( @Hyperion- you want to administer the cyanide yourself or do you need help)- you folks are ahead in that field and the GLAST is not Pakistan's first encounter with a tokamak. Although Iran has made good strides for a nation that has been needlessly targeted by all sundry.

Go check out that link, what do you make of the tokamak reactor in those photos on that thread? Looks like a joke to me. They have their "reactor" sitting on a wooden desk in a ordinary room. Looks more like a nuclear fusion 'actor'.

Go check out that link, what do you make of the tokamak reactor in those photos on that thread? Looks like a joke to me. They have their "reactor" sitting on a wooden desk in a ordinary room. Looks more like a nuclear fusion 'actor'.

It is most definitely not akin to a GLAST if that's what you mean. Iran has a lot of ground to cover, not to say that they won't cover it, but there is plenty of work to be done. Pakistan's situation is different.

Pakistan do need nuclear energy to tide over power crisis, its source of clean n efficient energy

It is most definitely not akin to a GLAST is that's what you mean. Iran has a lot of ground to cover, not to say that they won't cover it, but there is plenty of work to be done. Pakistan's situation is different.

Ignore that little kid.
He is just crying and dying of jealousy.

It funny how these people claim to be Iran's friend and whoever Iran makes an achievement, they are the first ones to cry.
Iran is ahead of them in all aspect of science and technology, Persian have a history of science and technology.

The only way to counter an ignoramus is to ignore.

Ignore that little kid.

It funny how these people claim to be Iran's friend and whoever Iran makes an achievement, they are the first ones to cry.
Iran is ahead of them in almost all aspect of science and technology, Persian have a history of science and technology.

I'm sure I'm older than you just like how our nuclear program is older and more advance than yours.

Ignore that little kid.

Iran is ahead of them in almost all aspect of science and technology, Persian have a history of science and technology.

Not at all. His choice of words may have offended you but I am not insinuating that Iran has not made vast progress- which should be celebrated given how many people want to see Iran falter for various reasons- including world powers. There is just a lot of work left for Iran- that's all- and the Iranian scientific community does't seem to be daunted by the prospect.

I'm sure I'm older than you just like how our nuclear program is older and more advance than yours.

In what way are you more advance? centrifuge? laser enrichment?
Your nuclear 'weapons' use Chinese plutonium. You did start before Iran but now you are by no means more advance.

Have you even built or are building a water reactor?

I am sorry, but I don't see how you are more advance. you think having nuclear weapons means you are a superpower in nuclear tech.

In what way are you more advance? centrifuge? laser enrichment?
Your nuclear 'weapons' use Chinese plutonium. You did start before Iran but now you are by no means more advance.

Have you even built or are building a water reactor?

I am sorry, but I don't see how you are more advance. you think having nuclear weapons means you are a superpower in nuclear tech.

Even though i admire Iranian capability and most important its scientific research which indeed by overall are certainly more than Pakistan.

But your certainly wrong about the nuclear part with respect to Pakistan.
Do you know when Pakistan built its own reactor without any country help?in 1970's.
PARR series reactor.First of them was completely built by America/canada
while the 2nd and after that all of them are being built by Pakistan themself

The PARR-II Reactor is an indigenously designed and constructed reactor owned by the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission. The PARR-II Reactor's design is similar to Miniature neutron source reactor (MNSR) and SLOWPOKE reactor. The reactor was indigenously designed by thePAEC as the Atomic Energy Agency's chairman Mr. Munir Ahmad Khan and his team of engineers and scientists also led the construction of the reactor. The PARR-II Reactor had gone critical and began operating on January 21, 1974.[6] The PARR-II Reactor is a tank-in-pool reactor with a rated power of 27-30 Kw. Same as the first reactor, the reactor is design to utilize the High Enrich Uranium (HEU) fuel. The HEU fuel utilize the ~90% 235U at a power level of 30 kW.[7] The demineralized light water is used as a coolantmoderator and the reactor core is reflected by metallicBe4.

Only PARR II reactor.And this even 4 decades before.

Brother you should probably search about when Pakistan started Production of Plutonium and even tritium at home.

THe third reactor for plutnium production we made in 70's and in 1981 we even tested Nukes in kirana hills

Unlike the PARR-I and PARR-II, New Labs, PINSTECH, is not subject to IAEA inspections and is completely different from its parent reactors. New Laboratories is a plutonium-weapons-grade fuel and plutoniumreprocessing plant, known as "New Labs". It is a pilot94Pureprocessingreactor, has a capability to utilize the ~7% 239Pu and has the capability to handle the isotopes and utilize the 86Kremissions and radiation.[9] A reprocessing reactor for the plutonium fuel to utilize <~7% 239Pu weapons grade fuel into a much heavier but <~7% weapon-grade 240Puweapons grade fuel.[10] New Labs were designed and constructed indigenously by PAEC under its Chairman Munir Ahmad Khan whereas it project-director was a mechanical engineer, Chaudhry Abdul Majeed. The construction of the facility was led by NESPAK.

The plant was completed in 1981 and cold reprocessing tests for producing plutonium took place at New Labs in 1986. The New Labs came into limelight when Pakistan had secretly tested its plutonium weapon-based nuclear device in Kirana Hills.[11] On May 30, 1999, the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission's scientists, under renowned nuclearphysicist Dr. Samar Mubarakmand, had tested a miniaturized nuclear device that is believed to be a Plutonium devices for which plutonium was most likely reprocessed by the Pakistani scientists into weapon-grade at the New Labs, PINSTECH. The test yield of a nuclear devices was reported to be 12-40 Kt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_Atomic_Research_Reactor

We again did this in 70's and 80's.we had Nuclear bomb since 1983 and in 1987 we had a nuclear bomb capable of being delivered anywhere for explosion.But we only tested them in 1998.even India and the rest of the world knew pakistan already posses a nuclear bomb.

This is why in 1987 Gen Zia ul Haq made a warning statement.

Now about Plutonium Production

in 1988 PAEC started a Program for bigger reactor only for plutonium Production and tritium aswell.With this in 1996 the first Khushab series reactor was completed with upto 70-100mw capacity but about 14kg per year production capacity.

The first one was smaller,Now we have 4 such more reactor only meant for plutonium production and all of them are in service.

Let suppose if the first one had 14kg per year plutonium production capacity,The 2nd one must be having something around 25kg per year.the third and 4th one must be even higher,Even in 2011 western reports said the 4th reactor could mean pakistan expectation for Thermonuclear weapons.

The bomb dropped on hiroshima had less than 8kg of plutonium in it.this is something 70 years back,While Pakistan posses tritium production capability since 80's.and a tritium can increase the yeild of a warhead by more than 200%.

No one knows how much warhead each countries has exactly apart from just the speculation.But Pakistan today does has the capability of more than 150kg of plutnium being produced per year.

Pakistan may be bankrupt but it still spends 2.5billion dollars on its nuclear program each year while countries like india and france spends 4.9billion dollars and 4billion dollars.

Anyway Within few years most probably in 2015-16 the pakistan nuclear fuel complex will come online which is a dual purpose reactor for both nuclear fuel and power.

For power it will have 3x325mw reactor but in 2015-16 only one of them will be active and this will be a completely PAEC and PINSTECH desigend reactor manufactured completely under IAEA.This mean no other country is involved.

And hopefully in 2016-17 Pakistan will be among the few countries in the world capable to export 300mw reactor to other countries and i am sure muslim countries atleast the arab countries will prefer Pakistan.

I am sorry, but I don't see how you are more advance. you think having nuclear weapons means you are a superpower in nuclear tech

Iran sets 2020 target for fusion reactor

The nuclear process has yet to be achieved by any nation. The center will hire 100 experts for the national project

Iran says it has set a 2020 target date to build its first experimental nuclear fusion reactor, a feat that has yet to be achieved by any nation.

Iran said in July that its nuclear agency began research on the experimental reactor.

Nuclear fusion, the process powering the sun and stars, has so far only been mastered as a weapon, producing the thermonuclear explosions of hydrogen bombs. It has never been harnessed for power generation.

Asghar Sediqzadeh, the head of the new fusion research center, is quoted by the semi-official ISNA news agency as saying the center will hire 100 experts to join the national project.

Tehran is not known to have carried out anything but basic fusion research.

Iran sets 2020 target for fusion reactor - Salon.com

At a ceremony to mark the beginning of the fusion project, Mr Sediqzadeh said 50 scientists would be working on the research.

"Iran is one of the first countries to begin research in this field," he said.

"We built one installation about 30 years ago. We had some delays in the past 10 years, [but] we can quickly make up for this time."

BBC News - Iran launches nuclear fusion bid

Iran builds nuclear fusion reactor

The Islamic Republic of Iran has developed a nuclear fusion reactor, becoming the sixth country in the world to possess fusion technology.

Iranian scientists at the Atomic Energy Organization or Iran (AEOI) have designed and built a nuclear fusion device, named IR-IECF, IRNA reported on Thursday.

The research and work on the reactor was carried out by scientists from the Plasma Physics and Nuclear Fusion Laboratory of the AEOI Nuclear Science and Technology Research Center.

The device uses Inertial Electrostatic Confinement method and can produce isotopes and radioisotopes used in diagnosing and curing cancer.

The US, Japan, South Korea, Australia and France are the only countries which boast fusion technology.

Fusion -- which extracts energy from nuclear reactions with a process akin to how light and heat are produced by the sun -- has been studied for decades, but it has yet to be developed into a viable energy alternative.

PressTV - Iran builds nuclear fusion reactor

Iranian team to collaborate with US company on nuclear fusion project
New Jersey company says it has permission for unique partnership to work toward the holy grail of energy sources

Vacuum-Vessel-Used-for-Nu-008.jpg

A US company and an Iranian university have agreed to collaborate on nuclear fusion, the elusive technology that promises a limitless supply of clean energy.

New Jersey-based Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Inc and Tehran's Islamic Azad University will jointly design a fusion machine that "would be affordable to construct in industrializing nations", according to a contract signed last weekend and seen by The Guardian.

The partnership comes amid tensions between the US and Iran over allegations that Iran is enriching uranium – a process that is different from fusion – to support a nuclear weapons programme.

Sceptics doubt whether US trade sanctions will permit the collaboration. But LPP claimed in a written statement that the pact qualifies as an official US department of treasury exemption "which authorizes collaborating with academics and research institutions on the … creation and enhancement of written publications."

Iranian team to collaborate with US company on nuclear fusion project | Environment | theguardian.com

Last edited:
For power it will have 3x325mw reactor but in 2015-16 only one of them will be active and this will be a completely PAEC and PINSTECH desigend reactor manufactured completely under IAEA.This mean no other country is involved.

And hopefully in 2016-17 Pakistan will be among the few countries in the world capable to export 300mw reactor to other countries and i am sure muslim countries atleast the arab countries will prefer Pakistan.

Link for Indigenous 325 MW reactor please.If you meant your 325 MW reactors, (Chashma I,II,III,IV)they are Chinese CNP 300s.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom