What's new

Pakistan Researching Nuclear Fusion.

Looks like you guys are going for H-bombs.You won't be able to afford to complete a research and come up with something that can produce electricity all on your own.But H-bombs can be a reality.

@Talon @Aeronaut @Secur @Argus Panoptes @Hyperion
For a layman like myself - What significance does this development hold for Pakistan, in the

Well for one , Armstrong I have a strong feeling that our boys are aiming for the thermonuclear device commonly known as Tellar Ulam design ( an approximation of the design of the weapon and process ) since no details are publicly available ... So , basically you start fission reaction like usual and then use its energy to initiate the fusion reaction and increase the power of the thermonuclear weapon ten folds if not more ...

As for any energy purposes , it would take decades to make the process feasible and available for that and I am quite sure at the moment it can only be used for research into that ...

@Secur samjha isse the importance of research. :D

Apne teachers ko nhi samjha saka , ise kese samjhaon ga :D But still research is never wasted ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for one , Armstrong I have a strong feeling that our boys are aiming for the thermonuclear device commonly known as Tellar Ulam design ( an approximation of the design of the weapon and process ) since no details are publicly available ... So , basically you start fission reaction like usual and then use its energy to initiate the fusion reaction and increase the power of the thermonuclear weapon ten folds if not more ...

As for any energy purposes , it would take decades to make the process feasible and available for that and I am quite sure at the moment it can only be used for research into that ...

Apne teachers ko nhi samjha saka , ise kese samjhaon ga :D But still research is never wasted ...

TOKAMAK research = Hydrogen bomb. Where did you get that- its in the field of fusion- yes but not really related to thermonuclear weapons as such. Well unless the fact that Tokamaks were invented in the 1950s by Soviet physicists Igor Tamm and Andrei Sakharov (same fellows who built the H-bomb for them- the weapons come before the tokamak) is where your drawing that conclusion from. :undecided:

Got any literature on tokamaks and their usage in thermonuclear weapons design?

Got any literature on tokamaks and their usage in thermonuclear weapons design?

Researching for the Tellar Ulam design , I mean :hitwall: That has been going for a long time now and this is a new resource for that ...

I know Tokamak aren't particularly used for this purpose but exposure to the process and its effects is possible , of course ...

Researching for the Tellar Ulam design , I mean :hitwall: That has been going for a long time now and this is a new resource for that ...

I know Tokamak aren't particularly used for this purpose but exposure to the process and its effects is possible , of course ...

ummm. dude the Tellar Ulam design doesn't have have much to do with this- you sure you're on the right string here? Unless just studying plasma and fusion properties is meant to feed into that, IMO very speculative. But hey I could be wrong.

Know anyone who's in the field?

ummm. dude the Tellar Ulam design doesn't have have much to do with this- you sure you're on the right string here? Unless just studying plasma and fusion properties is meant to feed into that, IMO very speculative. But hey I could be wrong.

Know anyone who's in the field?

If it can be used to study the fusion process and its effects on " certain " things , I am sure it has everything to do with that , I already agree Tokamaks aren't used for that and we have been researching H-bombs for a long time ... I am sure that it is being used for research into advanced nuclear physics ...

No , just sharing a little what I have read personally , you think people will tell me if they are researching this or work at some nuclear facility ? :D

@Talon @Aeronaut @Secur @Argus Panoptes @Hyperion :

For a layman like myself - What significance does this development hold for Pakistan, in the :

(i) Present

(ii) Future

(iii) Both of the above for Military purposes

Much Obliged ! :tup:

Not an expert myself, but fusion tech has the potential to generate infinitely more energy than any other fuel source that we have today. Cleaner and possibly self-sustaining means no more blackouts for the world (if we all share :P )

If it can be used to study the fusion process and its effects on " certain " things , I am sure it has everything to do with that , I already agree Tokamaks aren't used for that and we have been researching H-bombs for a long time ... I am sure that it is being used for research into advanced nuclear physics ...

No , just sharing a little what I have read personally , you think people will tell me if they are researching this or work at some nuclear facility ? :D

Have shot a mail to a relative and asked another fellow into stuff. Shall have a reply in a day or two. :enjoy:

Have shot a mail to a relative and asked another fellow into stuff. Shall have a reply in a day or two. :enjoy:

If it can be used for research in fusion process and by extension serve as a useful research equipment for thermonuclear weapon ? :what:

i am a big fan of an indian american Dr.Rusi Taleyarkhan
and his work on cold fusion was out of this world....
i am sure none of you know about him but do read about his work....

i am a big fan of an indian american Dr.Rusi Taleyarkhan
and his work on cold fusion was out of this world....
i am sure none of you know about him but do read about his work....

Wah G Wah !!

you read the research and the words didn't leave the document in protest ?

App ki kya baat hai ... I hope you don't mind ...

mostly when we found science raped on this forum ... you were around.

How is the water car going btw ? order ki aap ne ?

Fusion reactors, whether magnetic or laser confinement, have nothing to do with thermonuclear bombs, which use an implosion mechanism powered by a fissile trigger to cause a fusion reaction that is neither contained nor sustained. Power generation requires fusion to be sustained in a controllable manner so that heat can be extracted. Two entirely different worlds.

It would be great if Pakistan becomes first nation in the world to sustain a nuclear fusion reaction, Pakistan does that and it will become master of the atom.

It would be great if Pakistan becomes first nation in the world to sustain a nuclear fusion reaction, Pakistan does that and it will become master of the atom.

Such major advances usually happen with step wise building of the proper technological foundations. Pakistan can think of making its own sustainable fusion reactor only after it has developed the ability to make conventional fission reactors on it own. We are still far away from meeting those basic challenges still.

Fusion reactors, whether magnetic or laser confinement, have nothing to do with thermonuclear bombs, which use an implosion mechanism powered by a fissile trigger to cause a fusion reaction that is neither contained nor sustained. Power generation requires fusion to be sustained in a controllable manner so that heat can be extracted. Two entirely different worlds.

Neutron production can be understood in detail while working on fusion.
A better neutrun producing core always creates an efficient nuclear bomb...
But you are right..the design and perimeters of a controlled and uncontrolled nuclear reaction device is different.

Back
Top Bottom