What's new

Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif addresses the UN General Assembly

PM urges UN to play role in disputes resolution

27th September, 2013

phpThumb.php

Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif has urged the United Nations to play a critical role in disputes resolution and must continue to remain attentive to the issue of Jammu and Kashmir and full realization of the right to self-determination of its people.

He was addressing the UN General Assembly session in New York on Friday.

The Prime Minister said the suffering of the people cannot be brushed under the carpet‚ because of power politics. He called upon the international community to give an opportunity to Kashmiris to decide their future peacefully‚ in accordance with the UN Security Council resolutions.

He said the issue of Jammu and Kashmir was presented to the Security Council in January 1948 and yet the issue remains unresolved after nearly seven decades.

The Prime Minister said he has an aspiration for regional peace and stability. He said he shared this vision with leaders in our neighborhood.

He pointed out that shortly after assuming office‚ he received a message of goodwill from the Indian Prime Minister. Mian Nawaz Sharif said he invited the Indian Prime Minister to engage with Pakistan to address all outstanding issues between the two countries. He said Indian Prime Minister's response was positive.

The Prime Minister said the two countries have wasted massive resources in an arms race which could have been used for the economic well being of the people. He said we still have that opportunity and the two countries can prosper together and the entire region would benefit from our cooperation.

Mian Nawaz Sharif said Pakistan stands ready to re-engage with India in a substantive and purposeful dialogue and looks forward to meeting his Indian Prime Minister in New York to make a new beginning.

The Prime Minister said he was committed to working for a peaceful and economically prosperous region. This is what our peace want.

About Afghanistan‚ the Prime Minister said Pakistan supports an inclusive‚ Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process‚ leading to national reconciliation. Mian Nawaz Sharif said during his visit to Pakistan‚ he assured President Hamid Karzai that Pakistan does not wish to interfere in Afghanistan's internal affairs and its has no favorites in that country.

He said Pakistan encourages UN efforts for the stabilization of Afghanistan. We will work together withd Afghanstan for regional and economic cooperation that would establish and reinforce regtional trade‚ energy and communications corridors.

He said a manifestation of our solidarity with the Afghan people has been our willingness to hist millions of Afghan refugees in Pakistan for many decades.

In his address‚ the Prime Minister said as a country that has suffered grievously for the past many years‚ Pakistan condemns terrorism‚ in all its forms and manifestations. In the past 5-12 years‚ it has given huge sacrifices‚ in blood and resources. We have lost forty thousand precious lives of men‚ women and children including eight thousand defense and security personnel.

He said there have been colossal damages to social and physical infrastructures as well. Our economy has been denied the opportunity to grow fully. This must change now.

The Prime Minister said he has tried to forge national consensus on a cohesive policy to eliminate terrorism from our soil. We are resolved to oppose the forces of terrorism‚ by all means at our disposal. At the same time‚ we have offered dialogue to end violence‚ wean young extremists off extremism‚ and integrate all segments of our society into the national mainstream. He‚ however‚ said dialogue should not be seen as a sign of weakness or a tool of appeasement.

The Prime Minister said the war against terrorism must be waged within the framework of international law.

He said the use of armed drones in the border areas of Pakistan is a continued violation of our territorial integrity. It results in casualties of innocent civilians and is detrimental to our resolve and efforts to eliminate extremism and terrorism from Pakistan.

The Prime Minister said he has urged the United States to cease drone strikes so that we could avert further casualties and suffering.

Radio Pakistan - PM urges UN to play role in disputes resolution

Khasmir is an issue that must be settled by both parties concerned. I guess it is all left at the hands of its locals.

same old words used by a new face of USA servant :omghaha:
he used to address Syria , Afghanistan , and etc but could`nt come up with a strong stance on few important issues .

1. Drone strikes
2. Kashmir
3. Talks with india on equality
4. foreign policy before and after USA leave Afghanistan

strange politicians of Pakistan

I think this is some balanced speech ... But he mentioned drone issue with very week words .........

All i could hear was a lot of cough noise.
Why he was giving speech in such a low tone.

same old words used by a new face of USA servant :omghaha:
he used to address Syria , Afghanistan , and etc but could`nt come up with a strong stance on few important issues .

1. Drone strikes
2. Kashmir
3. Talks with india on equality
4. foreign policy before and after USA leave Afghanistan

strange politicians of Pakistan

This is the only comment that matters. He clearly doesn't address sensitive issues especially the elephant in the room being illegal drone strikes on innocent civilians.

Seems your leaders are in the pocket of the Yankees like a lot of countries around the world including some of our own CPC members.

This is the only comment that matters. He clearly doesn't address sensitive issues especially the elephant in the room being illegal drone strikes on innocent civilians.

Seems your leaders are in the pocket of the Yankees like a lot of countries around the world including some of our own CPC members.

brother i can not give all credit to our corrupt politicians , somehow we are also responsible for our countries bad situations...
i dont know which country you belongs or what is your religion but in islam our Allah (God) says that " if the nation is corrupt , i will put more corrupt politicians over them as kings " the words are not exact but the explanation is similar to this .. hope you got my point :cheers:

I have seen the comments and am quite astonished .... Foreign policies donot change over night.... It is shifting in the right direction that is what matters.... I think atleast it is a step in the right direction...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom