What's new

Pakistan Navy’s 2300 Tons OPVs launched by Damen

i think there are 16 VLS
I think RAM will be replaced by GOKDENIZ CIWS instead of missile based CIWS
Who will provide RAM
Surely USA won't
Turks don't have one ready

Chinese system possible but it won't be integrated may have to be stand alone system

Pretty shame that we can't make ships even today
I am not talking about all the subsystems I am talking about just the structure
Seems India is light years ahead of us

FrLEGF6WAAEMOfO

Who will provide RAM
Surely USA won't

Chinese system possible but it won't be integrated may have to be stand alone system

The Levent and Gokdeniz ER should be ready soon. Until then, id imagine you will see Gokdeniz CIWS in that station which would allow for easy flip to the ER (which is their version of Sea-RAM) .

Are these specifications correct? Looks too good for an OPV

@HRK
Almost you can say 90%-95% accurate other than RAM I don't think there is any other system which we should doubt.

Keep in mind its heavier OPV of +2300 tons but with these systems integrated it will be equivalent to Light Frigate category

Almost you can say 90%-95% accurate other than RAM I don't think there is any other system which we should doubt.

Keep in mind its heavier OPV of +2300 tons but with these systems integrated it will be equivalent to Light Frigate category

So this batch of OPV would have a 12 cell VLS air defence system? Is it confirmed?

While i agree there will not likely be any RAM there will likely be gokdeniz CIWS. The interesting thing will be if they theb replace this with Gokdeniz ER which will use the same platform and mechanicals but exchange the gun based CIWS for a missiles based system (12 cells - possibly with Bozdogan missiles). Could also go with 21 cell Levent. Ideally, if the PN can get the MILDAS VLS when it becomes available, then PN can replace the 16 gws-26 cells of the Babur's and 12 cells of the Yarmooks bacth 2 with 8 and cells each to give quad pack capabilities (32 CAMM-ER).

Who will provide RAM
Surely USA won't

RAM is a joint DEIHL and Raytheon system. For about the last 10 years Deihl has been pushing the RAM to the PN, even going as far as saying that clearance is not an issue, that it will be done if needed.
Ever since then, RAM has been present at every IDEAS expo, including the latest one.

So no, i wouldn't be worried about the US providing X or Y. RAM is purely a defensive system so less hoo haa around it.

While the batch 1 were designated OPVs to light corvette, i thing the batch 2 are just corvettes
well, they are only based off of the graphics which are generally accurate.
Are these specifications correct? Looks too good for an OPV

@HRK
Naval designations now are largely irrelevant and seem to be more indicative of roles than anything. I wouldn't focus on the OPV part, because if we did, the Italians have a patrol vessel capable of BMD.
400A7765LAV-1-4-scaled.jpg

So this batch of OPV would have a 12 cell VLS air defence system? Is it confirmed?
the graphic shows atleast 8 cells but it looks more like 12, so thats sort of the current guess, 8-12 cells for atleast 32 CAMM-ER

While i agree there will not likely be any RAM there will likely be gokdeniz CIWS. The interesting thing will be if they theb replace this with Gokdeniz ER which will use the same platform and mechanicals but exchange the gun based CIWS for a missiles based system (12 cells - possibly with Bozdogan missiles). Could also go with 21 cell Levent. Ideally, if the PN can get the MILDAS VLS when it becomes available, then PN can replace the 16 gws-26 cells of the Babur's and 12 cells of the Yarmooks bacth 2 with 8 and cells each to give quad pack capabilities (32 CAMM-ER).
Who says Yarmook batch 2 is using GWS-26? There are no mushroom launchers on the graphics put out by PN. The VLS is a mystery for now, but ironically i have my fingers crossed for MK41 or variant of (ExLS). Remember, CNS said Navy is studying fitting CAMM-ER into F-22P's too, of which, the easiest way is putting ExLS launchers on it because they are more compact and modular and dont need to go below deck.

Last edited:
RAM is a joint DEIHL and Raytheon system. For about the last 10 years Deihl has been pushing the RAM to the PN, even going as far as saying that clearance is not an issue, that it will be done if needed.
Ever since then, RAM has been present at every IDEAS expo, including the latest one.

So no, i wouldn't be worried about the US providing X or Y. RAM is purely a defensive system so less hoo haa around it.

well, they are only based off of the graphics which are generally accurate.

Naval designations now are largely irrelevant and seem to be more indicative of roles than anything. I wouldn't focus on the OPV part, because if we did, the Italians have a patrol vessel capable of BMD.
400A7765LAV-1-4-scaled.jpg

the graphic shows atleast 8 cells but it looks more like 12, so thats sort of the current guess, 8-12 cells for atleast 32 CAMM-ER

Who says Yarmook batch 2 is using GWS-26? There are no mushroom launchers on the graphics put out by PN. The VLS is a mystery for now, but ironically i have my fingers crossed for MK41 or variant of (ExLS). Remember, CNS said Navy is studying fitting CAMM-ER into F-22P's too, of which, the easiest way is putting ExLS launchers on it because they are more compact and modular and dont need to go below deck.

Also, the graphic above was put out by damen as a CUSTOMER configuration, the baseline OPV2600 is just a bare shell (hence the 2300t displacement)

Im not saying its for sure a GWS, BUT i have a hard time believing the US would approve mk-41 or Ex-LS for Pakistan. One could make the argument that mk-41 wasnt included in Baburs to punish Turkey, but i think that its more likely that Pakistan is the target. This is supported by the T-129 deal where the export was approved for Philippines and Nigeria, but refused for Pakistan. That said MILDAS should also be able to quad-pack so that will likely fill the role. I suspect there is no model or image of batch 2 with Mushroom GWS because that is a stock image of the OPV 2600 rather than anything more to do with PN. Either way PN has options which is something Pakistan hasnt had in a while.

Im not saying its for sure a GWS, BUT i have a hard time believing the US would approve mk-41 or Ex-LS for Pakistan. One could make the argument that mk-41 wasnt included in Baburs to punish Turkey, but i think that its more likely that Pakistan is the target. This is supported by the T-129 deal where the export was approved for Philippines and Nigeria, but refused for Pakistan. That said MILDAS should also be able to quad-pack so that will likely fill the role. I suspect there is no model or image of batch 2 with Mushroom GWS because that is a stock image of the OPV 2600 rather than anything more to do with PN. Either way PN has options which is something Pakistan hasnt had in a while.
The reason why i dont belive it is a stock image:
1683483630751.png

On top of that, PNs models have historically been accurate, you can also tell they paid emphasis on the graphics because the configurations had changed multiple times on the graphics, if it was just a stock image, they wouldnt have bothered. As i have posted above, the stock image is there, it is empty, the customer config is also on Damens website too, both are different and the config has too many minor details which wouldnt be there if it was a stock image, i.e MASS or the datalink domes- both of which are operated by the PN etc.

The reason why there was no mk41 or exls on babur is likely that its simply too big. The GWS26 is very compact. Alot of navies are now using a combo of GWS and MK41 for their future ships. MiLDAS is still far out and would require extensive certification and test work of which the cost would need to be absorbed by the PN for, unlikely. My guess is still ExLS/MK41, even if it does end up being GWS26 which fingers crossed it isnt, should still be able to get 12 cells on there, but im hopeful for a proper VLS solution

its very good news that PN has decided to get 2 more units

fantastic news and great addition

and even we have access to China we are not relying on just one supplier

Back
Top Bottom