What's new

Pakistan Navy’s 2300 Tons OPVs launched by Damen

Are the engine issues resolved ie same partner supplying the engine or is there a new engine? Help appreciated.
A
The issue has been resolved. In what capacity, I don't know.
PN is closely guarding its under water force modernization programs.
What we will be seeing on sea-surface will not represent PN true potential.

Chinese?, We should be careful

Last time we did that with US, we saw how that turned out

Our intrests first, than someone else's

Yes, the Chinese are funneling alot of money into the PN and armed forces in general. Not saying im pleased or feel good about it, i guess in the short term it may help bolster our numbers, we will only see how it actually works out when the time comes.

Not from DCNS/Naval Group. I think we'll start hearing talk about an original SSP program.
Frankly an SSN is more likely.
Its far closer to our current technical abilities. PAEC could build the reactor and KSEW can build the boilers and propulsion machinery.
It will be loud as hell, but won't require us to master exotic engine types.

of course, steel has been cut for the 4th ship and probably 5th too

AIP Sub
Suffered delay due to some tech available issues. Now project is sailing forward.
Good to know that problems have been solved and the project will move forward. I think engine was a major issue. Wonder what solution was done for that?

Also I think these are not 'yuans', those are PLAN subs. Pakistan is getting an export model specific to PN, details of which have not been made public so far. We can call them Hangoors though.

Good to know that problems have been solved and the project will move forward. I think engine was a major issue. Wonder what solution was done for that?

Also I think these are not 'yuans', those are PLAN subs. Pakistan is getting an export model specific to PN, details of which have not been made public so far. We can call them Hangoors though.
they are 039b versions, further supported by the fact that the PN will receive a ship from the PLAN for free to train on.

they are 039b versions, further supported by the fact that the PN will receive a ship from the PLAN for free to train on.
Training ships don't have to be exactly same, do they? Similar is good enough.

However, fact is that this is not submarine thread but OPV thread. So rather than discussing submarines, can you tell me which of the Damen OPV models exactly did PN get when it got the first two? And which exact model did it order in batch-II? :-)

Its far closer to our current technical abilities. PAEC could build the reactor and KSEW can build the boilers and propulsion machinery.
a loud and unreliable reactor vs proven aip tech?

Training ships don't have to be exactly same, do they? Similar is good enough.

However, fact is that this is not submarine thread but OPV thread. So rather than discussing submarines, can you tell me which of the Damen OPV models exactly did PN get when it got the first two? And which exact model did it order in batch-II? :-)

batch 1 was opv 1900, batch 2 was opv 2600.

Nuclear submarine from Pakistan?

of course, steel has been cut for the 4th ship and probably 5th too

AIP Sub

I'm thinking of an original SSP design to replace the Agosta 90Bs by 2040. With help from a principal contractor, NRDI would carry out the design and integration work from the ground up. NRDI directly works with the OEMs for engines, electronics, AIP, etc. The boat line would carry the names of Khalid (RA), Saad (RA), Hamza (RA), Zubayr (RA), Talha (RA), etc.

I'm thinking of an original SSP design to replace the Agosta 90Bs by 2040. With help from a principal contractor, NRDI would carry out the design and integration work from the ground up. NRDI directly works with the OEMs for engines, electronics, AIP, etc. The boat line would carry the names of Khalid (RA), Saad (RA), Hamza (RA), Zubayr (RA), Talha (RA), etc.
do you really think its plausible? it would be quite the challenge

a loud and unreliable reactor vs proven aip tech?

batch 1 was opv 1900, batch 2 was opv 2600.
But are those models PN specific? Can you show me any link from damen to an OPV1900 or an OPV2600 design? And compare those to PN ships? Or another customer that operates one of the said OPV's in the exact same configuration as PN? :-)

Last edited:
Chinese?, We should be careful

Last time we did that with US, we saw how that turned out

Our intrests first, than someone else's
Chinese are way more strict and hardline than US as well.

They will get a naval base in Gwadar in the future, almost guaranteed given our situation and their interests

But are those models PN specific? Can you show me any link from damen to an OPV1900 or an OPV2600 design? And compare those to PN ships? Or another customer that operates one of the said OPV's in the exact same configuration as PN? :-)
OPV 2500 (i.e., 2600 in the PN) | https://www.damen.com/catalogue/def...atrol-Vessel-2500#offshore-patrol-vessel-2500

OPV 2200 (i.e., 1900 in the PN) | https://www.damen.com/catalogue/def...atrol-vessel-2200#offshore-patrol-vessel-2200

Back
Top Bottom