What's new

Pakistan Navy seeking new jet power maritime patrol aircraft MPA

Couple of points
1) many navy still prefer turboprop being cheaper example Italian, other. Just because bigger navy switched to turbofan does not mean it’s best for everyone
2) as this program will run over a decade and multiple chief will be involved let’s see if next chief will follow same route
3) was this just a statement or actually pn did a study and recommendation are made to replace p3 in future with turbofan Ac ?
4) with 900 miles by 200. mile sea to worry about pn has far less responsibility vs say other where they are Islands or surrounded by 3 sides like Indonesia or Malaysia, China , India etc

Do not agree with me Gupta list as us missing russian, Japanese and Chinese but it top 10 and at least Kawasaki Ac should be in the list

For UK acquisition the top performer was c-295 but politically p-8 was selected per an AFM article

https://www.naval-technology.com/features/feature-the-top-10-maritime-patrol-aircraft/

Last edited:
Why not Kawasaki p1?

I was thinking the same thing. They need orders, expected the Royal Navy to bag a few but we went for the P8 instead.

59c5163b19d2f5bd188b45c2-750-500.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. They need orders, expected the Royal Navy to bag a few but we went for the P8 instead.

59c5163b19d2f5bd188b45c2-750-500.jpg

Yes bro, but this bird is expensive !!

its not about cost, its about having a MPA with Chinese sub. and Chinese sub with Japanese MPA's both wont be happy or comfortable with it/.

its not about cost, its about having a MPA with Chinese sub. and Chinese sub with Japanese MPA's both wont be happy or comfortable with it/.
So what? We should care our needs not the happiness of Chinese. They are trading with India and we have no objection.

Lol, yes I know bro ($140-160 million each) but Pakistan could win a favourable deal considering it was also rejected by New Zealand.

Lol, yes I know bro ($140-160 million each) but Pakistan could win a favourable deal considering it was also rejected by New Zealand.
Hi waz what about Chinese objections will they allow us to use this jet with their subs and beside this I think japan alas have some reservations about showing this technology to China by our Navy
Your comments
Thank you

Hi waz what about Chinese objections will they allow us to use this jet with their subs and beside this I think japan alas have some reservations about showing this technology to China by our Navy
Your comments
Thank you

I really don't know if the Chinese will object, I doubt it i.e. Pakistan has bought US systems in the past. As for the JMSDF objection that has merit, but then the Chinese have gone so much further with their systems.

Why not Kawasaki p1?
It might be expensive to maintain, especially as only Japan is the other user and supporting it would leave Pakistan with only one supplier for spare parts, upgrades, etc. The most likely outcome is to use a commercial platform (be it Bombardier, Airbus or Boeing) with commercially-off-the-shelf (COTS) sensors and weapons from Europe (or maybe Turkey, if the Atmaca and Orka enter serial production in time).

It might be expensive to maintain, especially as only Japan is the other user and supporting it would leave Pakistan with only one supplier for spare parts, upgrades, etc. The most likely outcome is to use a commercial platform (be it Bombardier, Airbus or Boeing) with commercially-off-the-shelf (COTS) sensors and weapons from Europe (or maybe Turkey, if the Atmaca and Orka enter serial production in time).
Iran remained the single user of f14 tomcat after USA. They are still using them despite of embargo. While we are in good terms with Japan.

I really don't know if the Chinese will object, I doubt it i.e. Pakistan has bought US systems in the past. As for the JMSDF objection that has merit, but then the Chinese have gone so much further with their systems.
Hi waz as I was thinking on the lines of block52 f16 which been confined by Americans to certain
Base for certain times in lieu of this if we go for Japanese gadgets Japanese might try to impose
This kind of clause or may be Chinese can do vice versa
Thanks for your detailed reply

Iran remained the single user of f14 tomcat after USA. They are still using them despite of embargo. While we are in good terms with Japan.
Iran's F-14 fleet isn't at full strength. I doubt the PN wants to be in a situation where only 1/3 of its MPA fleet is flying due to lack of spare parts.

90864_1403236028.jpg

Getting this Japaneses one would be lot easier as compared to Swordfish

Hi waz as I was thinking on the lines of block52 f16 which been confined by Americans to certain
Base for certain times in lieu of this if we go for Japanese gadgets Japanese might try to impose
This kind of clause or may be Chinese can do vice versa
Thanks for your detailed reply

I suppose bro we won't really know until Pakistan approaches the Japanese regarding this. Personally I don't see the Chinese being so draconian regarding such a purchase. Someone also mentioned the cost, which is problematic.

Back
Top Bottom