What's new

Pakistan navy post 2020 - Future Plans

So much of new acquisitions will only replace old fleet. Not necessarily add to the fleet numbers already present??

Same defensive paradigm strategy??
The PN supply chain is getting complex by the year / decade.

From 1948 onwards, the UK was the main supplier as the PN was carved out of the then Royal Indian Navy.
The US joined the UK from 1954 onwards as it signed a MAP (Mutual Assistance Pact) and Pakistan subsequently joined CENTO and SEATO, two military alliances to encircle Soviet Russia and Red China.

After the wars of 1965 and 1971 and imposition of sanctions by the US, Pakistan expanded its search for suppliers and France entered as a supplier in 1970.
After the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in1980, the US once again became the leading supplier of major platforms for the navy.

In the meantime the PAF was fast developing a dependable supply chain with China and the navy also followed suit albeit in a small way.

US imposed further sanctions in 1988/89 to curb Pakistan's nuclear ambitions and the defunct defense relationship with the UK was also revived to a certain extent.

PN had major suppliers at this point in France, China and the UK.

911 in 2001 saw Pakistan again in the embrace of the US and was also declared a MNNA (Major Non NATO Ally).

By 2014 with the US unsuccessfully mired in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and needed a whipping boy to blame, military aid was once again suspended until Pakistan DID MORE.

This broke the camels back and the rigid military establishment finally realized that the west and particularly the US and France were not dependable suppliers of military hardware.

Now China has become Pakistan's No.1 supplier of military hardware with Turkey and Italy also vying for the major share of Pakistan's military supply chain.

Pakistan Navy is trying to gradually upgrade its fleet. Its strategy of acquisition (European, Chinese, Turkish ships ...) shows that Pakistan does not want to "put all their eggs in one basket".... Despite this progressive modernization, the Pakistani fleet can compete with the incredible growth in its main "state enemy"...the Indian Navy.

The year 2018-20 is witnessing a major recapitalization of the PN surface and sub-surface fleet.

The retirements:

6 Tariq
(Tariq, Babur, Khaibar, Badr, Shah Jahan, Tippu Sultan). 3200/3700 tons, 117 meters (ex British type 21). Transferred by 1993/1994, now ageing ships, likely to be progressively retired through 2010’s but delayed as the US stopped supply of EDA Perry Class FFGs (to be upgraded). only a single example supplied after a US 80m$ refurbishment. The Type 21 Tariq Class will be retired once the Chinese Type 54A/P are inducted probably from 2021 onwards.

1 Alamgir
(Alamgir). 4100 tons, 138 meters (Ex 1980’s US O.H Perry FFG). Transferred by 2010, to remain in Pakistani service for at least 10/15 mores year, until mid 2020’s. To be used as a Training Ship or retired.

2 Agosta 70
(Hashmat, Hurmat). 1200/1700 tons, 67+ meters (French Agosta 70 SSK design). Commissioned by 1979/1980. upgraded in the late 90s. now in storage and to be permanently retired once the Chinese SSKs are commissioned.

3 Midget Submarine
3 MG-110
110+ tons, 27+ meters (Italian design). Commissioned by 1988+. to be retired once PN selects a newer platform, probably Italian.

2 Jalalat II
(Jalalat, Shujaat). Commissioned by 1997/1999. due for upgrade or retirement.

1 Larkana
(Larkana). first ever indigenously designed and developed fast patrol craft by Pakistan Naval Dockyard. Commissioned by 1994. due for upgrade or retirement.

1 Rajshahi
(Rajshahi). 115/140 tons, 36+ meters (1960’s British built). Commissioned by 1966, now fully obsolete ship, to be replaced by a newer Chinese built craft by early 2010’s. retired.

Status of 2 others FAC unclear (Jurrat, Quwwat)
Maybe Jurrat was a former Chinese "Hegu" or "Hoku" (a Chinese version of the Russian "Komar") FAC ?, transferred by 1981.

Maybe Quwwat was a former Chinese "Huangfen" FAC (a Chinese version of the Russian "Osa I"),? Transferred by 1984.

All the above FACs are reported to be replaced by the Azmat Class 500T FAC startiing in 2011-12.

6 Fast Attack Missiles Crafts
Up to 2 newer 500 FAC. designated AZMAT Class.
500 tons, ordered from China by late 2010, likely to be completed by 2011/2012…

1 Poolster (Fleet Tanker)
(Moawin). (ex 1960’s Dutch AO). Transferred by 1994. to be retired once the Turkish fleet tanker is commissioned.

1 Behr Paima (hydrographic survey vessel)
(Behr E Paima). Japanese built. Commissioned by 1982. to be retired as a new replacement is inducted.

New Arrivals:

8/10 Frigates
Up to 4 newer Frigates
Expected to be received by 2021++. The 3 main options considered by the Pakistanis were:

Buy 2 second-hand Chinese Type 054 Frigates (F-525/526).

Buy 3 or 4 Improved F-22P (Tentatively named “F-23P”, These may be an improved variant incorporating features of the Type 054A frigates...).

Buy 3 or 4 Chinese Type 054A Frigates (these FFG are “the state of the art” of Chinese fleet and the Chinese were reluctant to share their latest technology with another country. In the end a modified version known as Type 54A/P was agreed upon. once inducted they will be designated as F-22PII …).
Cost: US 1.2-1.5 B$

+/- 5 Submarines
From 3 to Up to 8 newer SSK’s.
Since mid 2000's, the Pakistan Navy plans to buy 3 to 8 new submarines to replace the ageing Agosta 70’s SSK. After considering many SSK designs (Hispano / French Scorpene, French Marlin SSK’s, German Type 214…).
Finally decided to purchase up to 8 Chinese SSK’s after the offer of long-term soft loans by the Chinese government worth US 4-5B$.

A new export model S20 with Chinese / French AIP systems which is a combination of the Chinese 039 Song and the 041 Yuan class submarines. delivery to start by as early as 2022-23. 4 boats to be built in china and plans for building 4 at the Karachi Dockyards are underway.

1 Fleet Tanker built with Turkish collaboration inducted recently. Moawin II.

Mid-Shore & In-Shore Patrol Boats
2 MRTP 33
(Zarrar, Karrar). Up to 6 others crafts were planned.

2 MRTP 15
(01-02). Turkish built IPV.

12 Gulf patrol Crafts.
5 patrol Crafts
(US Built). Delivered by 2010.

Small Amphibious Crafts
12 Hovercrafts
(12 Griffon) for the PN marines

on Order:

4 MILGEM OPV / Corvettes.(ADA Class)
2 OPV from DAMEN. PNS Yarmook handed over to PN recently.

New Navy Bases:
Jinnah Naval Base (JNB) at Ormara along the 1.046 KM Makran coast, touted to be the major naval submarine base.

Pasni Naval Air station for deployment of PN air assets like P3C Orion LRASW aircraft.
coming Naval Aviation.

So much of new acquisitions will only replace old fleet. Not necessarily add to the fleet numbers already present??

True to some degree but will add much more punch with modern tech and firepower !!

Yes as far as news is concerned.
I will be surprised if this deal isnt leverage via CSF
Therefore it being still on is surprising

4+4+2(2) with 2 OPV and several FAC is pretty big upgarde conisdering PN just had few frigates till recently

I think its got suspended after those trump statements in 2018. Just like ah 1z and t129 engine

Suspended
that's what i am thinking..though this pandemic would mean everyone will get some part of the pie..who knows we might get lucky..
two things are seemingly unfolding..
1. trump wanting to leave like now..so he will do this before November
2. republicans losing alot of ground ..it seems biden might have a chance after all, this will change the situation in the white house for good or bad.. both white house and house will be controlled by same party, infact most think senate might turn as well given most of the republicans are retiring

4 type 054A/P Frigates and 2 Damen corvettes will take place of 6 Tariq Class frigates while 4 Milgem Corvettes/Light frigates and 2 more Damen corvettes ( order expected in 2020-2021 ) i.e 6 will be new acquisitions , chances of 4/6 New Fast Attack craft acquisitions are also high ( 2020-2025 ) , 2 Agosta 70s will be replaced by 8 new submarines from China i.e 6 More , LRMPA tender issued ( number will increase gradually 2020-2025 ) , not to mention modernized MPA ATR 72s , I don't know what u want , plus these will be new latest ships/MPAs not 80s or 90s technology . Babar 3 ( increase in range is expected ) , Zarb , Harbah will completely change Pakistan Navy . PMSA also got 6 new MPVs and 2 second hand from USA in 2017 . PMSA new headquartes in Keti Bander and Ormara , New Naval Air station in Turbat and Submarine Communication station in Sindh are also need to be mentioned . This will modernize Plus Increase reach of PN , PM and PMSA IA .

Last edited:
4 type 054A/P Frigates and 2 Damen corvettes will take place of 6 Tariq Class frigates while 4 Milgem Corvettes/Light frigates and 2 more Damen corvettes ( order expected in 2020-2021 ) i.e 6 will be new acquisitions , chances of 4/6 New Fast Attack craft acquisitions are also high ( 2020-2025 ) , 2 Agosta 70s will be replaced by 8 new submarines from China i.e 6 More , LRMPA tender issued ( number will increase gradually 2020-2025 ) , not to mention MPA ATR 72s , I don't know what u want , plus these will be new latest ships/MPAs not 80s or 90s technology . Babar 3 ( increase in range is expected ) , Zarb , Harbah will completely change Pakistan Navy . PMSA also got 6 new MPVs and 2 second hand from USA in 2017 . PMSA new headquartes in Keti Bander and Ormara . New Naval Air station in Turbat and Submarine Communication station in Sindh are also need to be mentioned . This will modernize Plus Increase reach of PN , PM and PMSA .

I believe there were 5 Tariq Class frigates in operations. The 6th one wasn't being used as a front-line vessel, even possibly decommissioned. Also, what they are going to do with the single OHP Frigate is anyone's guess.

PN BADLY NEEDS MORE SURFACE SHIPS.

I believe there were 5 Tariq Class frigates in operations. The 6th one wasn't being used as a front-line vessel, even possibly decommissioned. Also, what they are going to do with the single OHP Frigate is anyone's guess.

Yes, there were 5, 1 was decommissioned quite a while ago, right now there are only 4. Another one was decommissioned and was recently used as a target for the missile tests. If you watch the video you can see it being hit multiple times and sunk. All of those are on their way out slowly.

Not everything needs replacing. Only the 4 Tariq class need replacing right now, a lot of these will be new additions.
The Agosta 70s still have a few years left in them and even so there’s 2 of them, we’re getting 8 new subs.
The midgets have already been replaced if the images are anything to go by.
The older fleet tanker was replaced too, so was the hydrographic vessel.
Most of PMSAs vessels are still relatively new, so all the ones they got were new additions. Overall the navy is both modernizing and expanding.

The OHP was refitted before delivery, I’m sure it’ll serve for a while longer. It’s still a capable vessel. Not sure where it fits in though.

Hopefully JF-17s will be flying with the navy soon too.
What about the PNs mine warfare abilities though. I know they have 3 such ships, but they’re not that big, and are they enough? They seem to be getting a bit old too.

4 type 054A/P Frigates and 2 Damen corvettes will take place of 6 Tariq Class frigates while 4 Milgem Corvettes/Light frigates and 2 more Damen corvettes ( order expected in 2020-2021 ) i.e 6 will be new acquisitions , chances of 4/6 New Fast Attack craft acquisitions are also high ( 2020-2025 ) , 2 Agosta 70s will be replaced by 8 new submarines from China i.e 6 More , LRMPA tender issued ( number will increase gradually 2020-2025 ) , not to mention MPA ATR 72s , I don't know what u want , plus these will be new latest ships/MPAs not 80s or 90s technology . Babar 3 ( increase in range is expected ) , Zarb , Harbah will completely change Pakistan Navy . PMSA also got 6 new MPVs and 2 second hand from USA in 2017 . PMSA new headquartes in Keti Bander and Ormara . New Naval Air station in Turbat and Submarine Communication station in Sindh are also need to be mentioned . This will modernize Plus Increase reach of PN , PM and PMSA .

Not to mention the upcoming supersonic cruise missile for the navy. The PN will pack a serious punch.

Pakistan should have not gone for Type 54 but instead a better version which still has 32 VLS but those are universal VLS. What I mean is that if mission requires those VLS carry and fire Cruise Missiles and if mission requires they carry Air Defence. That kind of ship in large numbers is what will give us real boost.

@waz @fatman17

Getting the type 54, a modified one at that was not a easy job as the Chinese were very reluctant to share their top of the line system even with Pakistan. The type 54AP is different from the regular type 54 in the Chinese navy.
Pakistan should have not gone for Type 54 but instead a better version which still has 32 VLS but those are universal VLS. What I mean is that if mission requires those VLS carry and fire Cruise Missiles and if mission requires they carry Air Defence. That kind of ship in large numbers is what will give us real boost.

@waz @fatman17

Back
Top Bottom