What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

@Rashid Mahmood Is the ideal person to comment on the pre-mature death of this platform.

Here Is Our First Clear Look At China's Z-20F Seahawk Helicopter Clone (Updated)
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-at-chinas-z-20f-its-seahawk-helicopter-clone

Lynx were part of the Type 21 deal and not a PN Choice.
The spares were way too expensive in order to maintain 3 aircraft with not any real capability.

Hence the decision to replace them with Z-9 was taken.

I think PN should look towards taking a stake in Z-20F and build up the ship-board fleet from there. China will invest in shipboard helis as this an area that they lag behind. Z-9 are light helos. When the type 54 comes in, Z-20F would be a good choice to go for.
448452e4ly1gdgxrrd4h1j213p0u0x6r.jpg

007TKRmPgy1gdgvylk1isj31bo0u0e81.jpg

641f8ec0ly1gdhxyz3isbj21by0u0qv5.jpg

I think PN should look towards taking a stake in Z-20F and build up the ship-board fleet from there. China will invest in shipboard helis as this an area that they lag behind. Z-9 are light helos. When the type 54 comes in, Z-20F would be a good choice to go for.

Too early to take such a decision.
The helicopter has not matured yet.

The AN/APY-10 is fully integrated into Boeing's Mission Control and Display System for control, display and data distribution on the Poseidon. The P-8A radar is also the only system of its type to provide a dedicated short exposure submarine periscope detection mode as well as ultra-high resolution imaging modes for maritime and overland operations, delivering uncompromised performance in every operational environment.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) do you think which system can PN's LRMPA get in comparable to this?

The AN/APY-10 is fully integrated into Boeing's Mission Control and Display System for control, display and data distribution on the Poseidon. The P-8A radar is also the only system of its type to provide a dedicated short exposure submarine periscope detection mode as well as ultra-high resolution imaging modes for maritime and overland operations, delivering uncompromised performance in every operational environment.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) do you think which system can PN's LRMPA get in comparable to this?
I doubt it. The likeliest scenario is a Seaspsray 7xxx AESA radar accompanied by a FLIR Systems EO/IR turret (i.e., similar to the ATR-72 MPA).

What about AW 159?

I doubt it. The likeliest scenario is a Seaspsray 7xxx AESA radar accompanied by a FLIR Systems EO/IR turret (i.e., similar to the ATR-72 MPA).
7300E or 7500E are analogous to APS-143C(V)3 OceanEye on P8 I think. I am talking about AN/APY 10 which looks like anti sub radar on P8. P8 has 3 types of detection systems CAE AN/ASQ-508A magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) system, APS-143C(V)3 multimode radar and a global version of the Raytheon APY-10 surveillance radar.

What about AW 159?

7300E or 7500E are analogous to APS-143C(V)3 OceanEye on P8 I think. I am talking about AN/APY 10 which looks like anti sub radar on P8. P8 has 3 types of detection systems CAE AN/ASQ-508A magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) system, APS-143C(V)3 multimode radar and a global version of the Raytheon APY-10 surveillance radar.
tbh, I don't know. I think we'll have to wait and see, but for now, I can only guess that the PN is aiming at least for the same subsystem suite as its ATR-72 MPAs, but with the addition of MAD. The MAD would have to come from a non-ITAR source. But beyond that, it'll depend on what the market can offer.

We are neither acquiring Chinese nor Russian helicopters as far as Navy is concerned.
The only thing I'm still confident of is that the PN wants something in the size/capability of the S-70/MH-60.

The issue with the AW159 is that it's mostly limited to ASW/SAR, you can't use it for troop transport, though that is an area the PN is interested in supporting (for SSGN, Marines). It can ask for the AW101, but a S-70/MH-60-type of helicopter can cover ASW, SAR, troop transport, and AShW in one platform.

If not the MH-60R or NH-90NFH, then I think a navalized AW189K could be of interest.

Again our own family of helicopters as suggested many times before. Or else this will keep happening. Navy might get Z20/AW150. Army might buy some AW139s and some other bird etc etc. Process needs to be standardized and spread across all three services.
The only thing I'm still confident of is that the PN wants something in the size/capability of the S-70/MH-60.

The issue with the AW159 is that it's mostly limited to ASW/SAR, you can't use it for troop transport, though that is an area the PN is interested in supporting (for SSGN, Marines). It can ask for the AW101, but a S-70/MH-60-type of helicopter can cover ASW, SAR, troop transport, and AShW in one platform.

If not the MH-60R or NH-90NFH, then I think a navalized AW189K could be of interest.

Again our own family of helicopters as suggested many times before. Or else this will keep happening. Navy might get Z20/AW150. Army might buy some AW139s and some other bird etc etc. Process needs to be standardized and spread across all three services.
The Turks are working on their own 10-ton helicopter. I think they'll adapt that design for naval ops too.

It's a long-term bet, but I'm all ears for holding these things off for the sake of getting the latest design, and get our industry some serious work. If not the Turks, select an existing design, but with offsets and co-production.

But this would've worked out better if we had back-loaded frigates to the 2030s and, instead, focused on cutting-edge submarines and lower-cost OPVs until then. So, get the subs for A2/AD, and OPVs to police our seas. I think OPVs would've been fine with AW139s for SAR/ASW (i.e., standardize with the PAF and PA).

But from 2030, we can start inducting MILGEM-Js with a 10-ton helicopter, and in parallel, have the PA and PAF also start inducting the 10-ton helicopter. Between the MoD and MoI, Pakistan could need 200 such helicopters, easily.

Back
Top Bottom