What's new

Pakistan-India Trade

GUNNER

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Excerpts From Speech Of Indian High Commissioner At KCCI
Distinguished friends, the SAARC took an important step in your beautiful capital city of Islamabad by concluding an Agreement on South Asian Free Trade Area or SAFTA in 2004. It came into force in January 2006 and its phased liberalization programme became operational from the 1st of July, 2006. In keeping with Article 7, Clause 3(a) of the Agreement, India has maintained a sensitive list of around 850 tariff lines for all the Non-LDC Members of SAFTA, including Pakistan. All other items are subject to Trade Liberalization Programme. For LDCs, we have reduced our sensitive list to around 480. We have also given Zero Duty Access to LDCs from the 1st of January 2008, i.e. one year ahead of the target date. The SAFTA Agreement does not provide for a positive list approach for imports by one member country from another. However, Pakistan continues to follow a positive list approach vis-à-vis India and the list currently stands at a little less than 2000 items. We earnestly hope that this situation will change, so as to bring each and every SAARC country in line with the provisions of SAFTA. Some so called Non-Tariff and Para-Tariff Barriers in India are spoken of from time to time. The examples quoted include requirements of technical standard certification, standard of quality, labelling, marking, packaging, sanitary and health regulations, etc. Such regulations are not unique to India and prevail in all countries. I would also like to emphasise that such regulations in India apply to all our trading partners and are not specific to Pakistani exports to our country. In any case, the issue of Non-Tariff Measures in all member countries of SAFTA has been under discussion by an Expert Group in SAARC.

I would like to recall here the observations made in the Final Report of the Panel of Economists, appointed by your Planning Commission, on Medium Term Development Imperatives and Strategy for Pakistan. The report assesses that bilateral trade between our two countries, which has been around $2 billion per annum, has the potential to grow in a range of $3 to 10 billion. The report talks of several advantages of normalizing trade between India and Pakistan. These include the advantage of geographical proximity and cheaper transportation costs. The shorter distances will also render it unnecessary for industry to carry high levels of inventories of raw material, intermediate goods and parts, thereby reducing the cost of operations. The report observes that opening trade with India will also have a salutary effect on prices. The panel of economists maintains that the fear of the Pakistani manufacturing sector being swamped and rendered uncompetitive by Indian goods is highly exaggerated. Import tariffs have been substantially lowered and the Pakistani industry is already standing up to the competition of cheap imports, including from China. Moreover, if Pakistani exports can compete with Indian exports in the international markets, they can do so in Pakistan’s domestic market also. As a first step, the report recommends moving to an MFN basis and from a positive list approach to a negative list approach. The report also recommends better transportation links between the two countries for trade. I may mention here that we have started the construction of an Integrated Check Post (ICP)at the Wagah – Attari border and work on this project is estimated to be completed by April 2011. The Check Post will have the most modern facilities, both for trade and travel purposes between our two countries. We have also proposed in the past that in addition to the Mumbai - Karachi and Attari – Wagah routes, the Khokhrapar - Munabao rail link should also be used for trade. This is in addition to the two routes across the LOC viz, Srinagar – Muzaffarabad and Poonch-Rawalakot, which are already functional.

It will be a great boost to peace if India and Pakistan allow greater trade relations. The more and more the countries invest in each others economies the more difficult it will be to harm each other as we will have higher stakes in being at peace with each other. A la The Golden Arches theory.

As of now its kind of a vicious circle - Trade doesn't happen because there's no trust and there's no trust because mutual exchanges like trade are restricted.

Leave all hate... our peoples are dying from hunger. Come together and do something for them. We have to give answer to GOD 1 day.

Once India and Pakistan gets in trade, things will become so much better. There is nothing better then this for the entire South East Asia. I Wish Mushy was still around, he was better to talk to.

india n pakistan have huge bilateral trade potetial..infact if we engage in trade there are more prospects for peace between the two countries..by having such stakes we can ensure peace in a better way..
pakistan is reluctant in reciprocating n giving india MFN status but this is implying costs to both sides..i would prefer a FTA..

I hate to burst the bubble but by following Indian trade News for quite some time and i have concluded that India doesn't do fair trade.I mean it blocks or slams other difficulties on the things which have to compete with local market but expects that other nations lower tariff on everything.

In other words just buy everything from us but don't try to sell us anything.

^n in that case we have to be clever instead of giving up the whole idea!!real world politik..

Back
Top Bottom